If you've been part of the Dead.net community for the past few years, then you know we're on a mission to make a miracle every day in the month of November. This year is no different.
As a token of our appreciation for making 2017 an epic year, we're giving away a high-quality 320Kbps MP3 download every day this month. That's 30 days of unreleased Grateful Dead tracks from the vault, selected by Dead archivist and producer David Lemieux! Intrigued? We're also going to put your knowledge to the test and give you a chance daily to win a limited-edition 7" single, the 1st release from our 2017 series.
Here's how it works:
You know your Ables from your Bakers from your C's, but can your finely tuned ears differentiate the cosmic "comeback" tour from a spacey 70's show? Each day we'll post a free download from one of the Dead's coveted shows. Will it be from that magical night at Madison Square Garden in '93 or from way back when they were just starting to warm it up at Winterland? Is that Pigpen's harmonica we hear? Brent on keys? Step right up and try your hand all November long.
Guess the venue and date correctly and you'll be automatically entered to win the prize of the day. Each day a winner will be selected at random, so take your time and make your best guess! Answer correctly, and you will also be automatically entered for our Grand Prize - a copy of our SOLD OUT MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT boxed set.
As we approach Grateful Day, I'd just like to express my gratitude to the Band, the site, and everyone involved in the 30 Days Gig. Here are a few (just a few) of my reasons to be thankful:
1. This thing has been going on for eight (8) years straight now. WOW! I just don't know what to say about that. Can you think of any other band that has been defunct for 23 years (sort of) that can still release the equivalent of a 4 or 5 disc set to fans EVERY YEAR???? Just AMAZING.
2. It's FREE. I can't stress that enough. I mean, I pretty much buy ALL the releases anyway, but this is just that little gift every year that doesn't cost anything. THANK YOU GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!!
3. There's a lot of good music released on these November issues. I know, it's not complete shows, but then please refer to number (2) above. And there are a lot of cuts here that wouldn't make it on complete show releases, either because the sound quality isn't up to scratch, or the whole show isn't so great, or the tape is incomplete. But here's the thing: because I'm not expecting perfection, I just listen to each day as if I were there (in some cases I WAS there), and there's a freshness and natural quality to the experience that I just can't explain. It must have been meant to be.
4. These November days kinda balance out the whole Grateful experience. For instance, these days I'm listening to Dave's 23 & 24 (I went back to 23 because of the Close Encounters Anniversary), the RFK Box, and Garcia Live vol. 8 (that strangely captivating Milwaukee first set, esp. Reuben and Cherise). It's all pretty fantastic, but just mix in Berlin Shakedown or Charlotte Unbroken Chain and, well, it just kind of balances everything out. And did I mention there are a lot of good Sailor/Saint versions in the 30 Days (this year just Saint, but still a good one).
5. The artwork. Never underestimate the artwork.
THANKS TO EVERYONE, and hope you have a GRATEFUL DAY.
Bob says, "it's a f***in shame." I wonder was he looking at Jerry during that line? Or anyone in particular? Because then I swear Jerry sort of hesitates before coming in with "TRUCKIN'!, mmmummmble, BUFFALLOo...." like hey, you talkin to me??? Because next, on NSB, Jerry really seems to kick it into a higher gear, volume and playing wise.
Or is it just me? ? ? Sure would've loved to have been there. UTUBE maybe?
Thanks for letting me share some of my Grateful musings.
The guitar player of the band “Mumbles Quartet“, Mumbles and his band booked ritzy parties and would then rob their hosts after the performance. Mumbles was “ratted” out by his singer Kiss Andtel. Kidnapping Andtel, Mumbles and his gang escaped on a boat which he rigged a bomb to explode with his companions while he kept the full amount of $60,000 in stolen cash. Dick Tracy would arrive in time to save Andtel and the gang, but Mumbles believed he had killed them and continued to float at sea until he accidentally popped his life raft and seemed to drown. (from dicktracy.info)
thanks for this new gift of music.As you noticed sound level is not equal on each track; this year we have low tracks on day 4-10-15. You can equalize sound level with MP3Gain before burning you cd on 31st of november!
I just discover this today in the liberkey...I tried it and it works.
That's a good thought teetop--and I hope you are right. I give the post-Brent shows a listen from time to time, and there are a few that hold up but mostly there are scattered highlights, with more than a few lowlights. Not to mention a fair number of songs that really don't interest me or hold up well.
Today was an easy one. Makes up for yesterday's three decade search. I didn't think to check previous years list..could've saved some time.
I think an earlier comment was almost right. Should be..'Youth is wasted on the young'
Couldn’t resist New Speedway from twenty years earlier. The young are wasted on youth, as the old saying goes. After you’ve wandered through the 90’s (yet again!), take a moment to listen to New Speedway, Cold Jordan from 5/15/70. Your collective sense of piety will evoked and thank God for that.
One of the Best things about November every year is 30 Days of Dead. October has always been my favorite month of the year, with cool weather and the fall colors. 30 Days help the joy continue into a typically dreary month.
Thank you for a nice cross section of tracks this year. I would enjoy a Bobby Cowboy song -- I have a damn good case of the Mexicali Blues
don't know, could be my state of mind, but truckin matches pretty well but gets lost between the boogie. can only be one of a few so how hard can it be. checking for a show that's not listed on setlist maybe?, see if can get things just exactly right. but meanwhile listening to alot of great stuff from this year so i dont mind.
Not sure if this is what you are hinting at, but I posted a clue earlier this month, for this year. Went something like...”a favorite JGB tune, would see its first and last times played, this year.”
Well, this was the first time.
This a great show!