• July 19, 2013
    July 22 - July 28, 2013

Welcome back to the Tapers' Section! This week we have tunes covering 15 years of Grateful Dead history, 1969-1984.

Our first selection is from 6/28/69 in Santa Rosa, CA, the second of two nights of Dead in Sonoma County. These shows are often referred to as the shows at which the Dead turned country, and a listen to the entirety of the two shows demonstrates why. But, we won't be playing any country-Dead today. Instead we have this big version of Turn On Your Lovelight.

From four years later, on 6/26/73 in Seattle, WA, we have the end of the first set, featuring two of the big first set (usually) jams, as well as a few songs between. From this show on the summer 73 tour, we have China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Beat It On Down The Line, Loser, Playing In The Band.

Lastly this week is music from the second night at Merriweather on 6/27/84, featuring the end of the second set, Space>Morning Dew>Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away. Lots of great music in this sequence.

Be sure to join us here next week for more tunes from the vault.

David Lemieux
    vault@dead.net

361015
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

Be sure to join us here next week for more tunes from the vault.

David Lemieux
vault@dead.net

Display on homepage featured list
Off
summary

Custom Teaser

Feature type

dead comment

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

Diggin' that '73 Seattle. Thanks DL!
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

where pigpen doesn't make it interesting? Much appreciated selection this week, DL. 27 min. of pure jammin' joy. :)))
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

For some odd reason that's baffling me, I have been unable to play the streams from the Tapers Section or the Jam of the Week selections for the last couple of weeks. Whenever I click the play arrow, nothing happens.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

The funniest thing that I remember from being at that Merriweather show was Phil singing "Why Don't We Do It In The Road."
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I was at Merriweather on 6/27/84 with two college buddies. We had just graduated from Clark and were on summer tour (Red Rocks to Alpine). So many stories...... I would go on to graduate school that fall so this was a celebration of things past as well as those to come. As always I am Grateful for the music David. Peace, Love, Health and Happiness.
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

what browser are you using? Is your Flash player current?
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

I'm using windows explorer. These played for me no problem up until the last couple of weeks. Now when I click on the play arrow, nothing happens. It lets turn repeat on and off and adjust the volume, but doesn't play. The Pine Knob show from a few days later was my first live Grateful Dead experience. The impression that the 7/1/84 show left on me has stuck since and went on to see them another 50 or so times. I just wish I could hear the vault source recordings from 7/1/84 even once in my lifetime as they have never circulated. I hear that they sound good from Dave himself.
8 comments
sort by
Recent
Reset
  • SPACEBROTHER
    5 years 2 months ago
    ...
  • marye
    5 years 2 months ago
    spacebro
    what browser are you using? Is your Flash player current?
  • uncjhn