• 153 replies
    marye
    Started by Tommo

We have here the complete 3 night run from Cal Expo August 4th, 5th, and 6th, 1989.
    Very nice shows. Opening night saw 21 songs performed and an 11-song 1st set- I haven't checked the statistics, but that's rare for 1989 !

6 discs in FLAC format.

All files have been Charlie Millerized, which means they are good. Thank you Charlie. I don't know you, but I am your brother.

Charlie's notes appear below, somewhat edited for this post, but complete on the discs :

Grateful Dead - August 4, 1989
    Cal Expo Amphitheatre - Sacramento, CA

Recording Info:
    SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-XG90)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
    charliemiller87@earthlink.net
    February 5, 2008

Patch Info:
    AUD Source from David Minches supplies:
    Space (3:30 - 3:53)

Notes:
    -- Discs 2 and 3 are seamless

Set 1:
    d1t01 - Tuning
    d1t02 - Be

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • kim
    loved loved loved these shows. these were some good times. just when i had said i wasnt going to sign up for any more vines ( expecting twins and getting too big to be of much use for anything) but have to have this one 1. sakparadise 2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 5. kim
  • operator
    Default Avatar
    1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator
  • marye
    1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Forums

Started by Tommo

We have here the complete 3 night run from Cal Expo August 4th, 5th, and 6th, 1989.
Very nice shows. Opening night saw 21 songs performed and an 11-song 1st set- I haven't checked the statistics, but that's rare for 1989 !

6 discs in FLAC format.

All files have been Charlie Millerized, which means they are good. Thank you Charlie. I don't know you, but I am your brother.

Charlie's notes appear below, somewhat edited for this post, but complete on the discs :

Grateful Dead - August 4, 1989
Cal Expo Amphitheatre - Sacramento, CA

Recording Info:
SBD -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-XG90)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
February 5, 2008

Patch Info:
AUD Source from David Minches supplies:
Space (3:30 - 3:53)

Notes:
-- Discs 2 and 3 are seamless

Set 1:
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - Be

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

loved loved loved these shows. these were some good times. just when i had said i wasnt going to sign up for any more vines ( expecting twins and getting too big to be of much use for anything) but have to have this one 1. sakparadise 2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 5. kim
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 5. kim 6. DaveC
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Would love to get in on this but not sure how the vine works. Help on the way? Thank you!
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

What you do is copy the latest version of the list (in this case, it's just above your post), and paste it into a new message. Then add your user name as #9 and send a Private Message (PM) to the person ahead of you on the list (in this case Dead in MA) by scrolling up to their post and clicking on their user name in red, which takes you to their Member Profile Page, where you scroll down to "Send Private Message". Put "Cal Expo 1989 Vine" in the subject line and write a brief message saying hey and telling them where to mail it. Then check back here every so often for updates and post an update when you receive it. You make copies of the shows for yourself and send the original discs on to the next person on the list. These discs are in FLAC format, which is easily converted to WAV using free software you can find by Googling "FLAC". I have done the list part for you, like so... 1. sakparadise 2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 5. kim 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter So now just contact Dead in MA, and sit back and wait! Enjoy, -Tommo
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Ok, this one is in flac and I did not know about downloading any software to convert this until I read the previous post. This vine, along with the Zeppelin vine is being converted into audio cds by a friend of mine. He owns a computer store and I should have this vine along with the Zeppelin vine back and gone by the end of next week.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

hey guys, i got put on bed rest due to a high risk pregnancy and am not allowed to drive, shop, do anything, but rest so I am going to have to take my name off this vine. it would be hard for me to commit to getting this in and out in a timely fashion right now. although i really really really really want these shows ( was there and have very very vivid memories of some crazy shit), i dont think it would be fair to take this on right now. (of course, anyone that wants to copy and send to me would be most GRATEFUL) 1. sakparadise 2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.]
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Best wishes on your huge endeavor- It's great that you're having twins- that way they can help each other so there's less work for you, right? I have a Cal Expo 1989 set for you all ready to go, but I need your address. Also, I mailed the vine to sakparadise almost 6 weeks ago, and he apparently still has it, so I'm re-seeding to UncleJon to keep it from dying. Sakparadise has several vines stalled at the moment, and is not responding to contact attempts...-Tommo
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

To Uncle Jon in today's mail. sakaparadise has had it for six weeks now, so...Also mailed Kim's special bedrest edition today, so she won't have to deal with forwarding. -Tommo
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

sing me up please, if in a normal format. no shn , flac,. 1. sakparadise 2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman Thank you .. peace everyone !! Kim, best wishes for you !!
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

as stated in the original post. Very easy. Go to Google. Type in "FLAC" (which stands for "Free Lossless Audio Codec"). Click on the top result, which says "FLAC- Free Lossless Audio Codec". Download FLAC (it's free & only takes a few minutes at dail-up speeds). Now you can convert the files. For those old enough to remember, the transition to lossless compression formats is much easier than the transition from recording cassettes to burning CD's was. That was a bear in the early days. If you're going online and writing e-mails and posting on these forums, you've definitely got what it takes! And if you can do all that and chew gum at the same time, you should be teaching me ! ;-) . Anyway, among downloaders and bit torrent users, FLAC and SHN are the norm, not the exception, so you're going to be seeing them more and more as time goes by. One of the great things about lossless compression is that it lets you archive your music on a hard drive in about half the normal amount of space, which is important because CD's that have been burned on a computer ARE NOT PERMANENT! They go bad after several years. Seriously. A few years back, industry experts were predicting lifespans as short as 5 years for burned CD's, but I have some older than that that still work, and the discs and burners being made today are much better than they were then, but they will still deteriorate with time. Even the longevity of "stamped" CD's (professionally produced discs that are silver on the music side) is not yet known for certain. I'm sure if you just go for it, you'll get there... -Tommo
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Received yesterday from Tommo - thanks for the reseed, nicely done! I'll get this turned around in short order... Good luck Kim!! "when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door"
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Just wanted to send out a huge thank you to Tommo. His help is greatly appreciated and just wanted to send out some good karma to him on behalf of the many he has helped. Thank you!!!! pk
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

I was fortunate enough to see all three of these shows! Drank all day and rocked all night... crazy times.... Thanks Tommo! 1. sakparadise 2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...these are out the door to ReedChris...I didn't realize I still had them! "when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door"
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy "You know the one thing we need is a left handed monkey wrench....."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

....to pkpotter wither today or tomorrow. Tremendous quality on this one. Enjoy.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

1. sakparadise2. UncleJon 3. reedchris 4. operator 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb 15. Ursa Minor (funbebop@yahoo.com) I wish that for just one time, You could stand inside my shoes, and for just that one moment, I could be you - Bob Dylan, Positively 4th St.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I got this but had some trouble last night trying to convert flac to wave with my winamp.Trying some new software tonite. It worked fine last time I did flac disc. I will get it out soon. Probably be able to just copy them and get them out to chasmo. I will need your address chasmo. Thanks again tommo, very much appreciated. peace,pk
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

PK Potter- I had problems with the winamp too so I tracked down an app called Traders Little Helper and it worked like a charm. I think I put instructions in the envelope but if not: google "traders little helper" (maybe with no spaces), a link to cdead.com should be at or near the top, select it, download "traders little helper", once installed slecet the "decode file" tab, select all of the flac files from your directory, and then let it works it's magic, it takes a few minutes to get through. Hoep this helps.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

All of a sudden winamp is working ,I think. Five minutes ago I looked on the floor and lo and behold there was a note from you on the back of an address label with instructions! Got TLH downloaded now and was trying to figure out the decode thing. Should get it now. Thanks very much for the help Dead. Will get this back out very soon.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

These are ready to go. Just your address chasmo. Thanks tommo for these, they are excellent. peace,pk
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Off to Chasmo monday 8\4. peace,pk
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

got this vine from pkpotter thank you. will be off to stuman by friday. have a great time and peace.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

this vine is on its way to jacksonville. get ready stuman. have a great time everyone,peace.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

This one just come in this morning ,, very busy day today ,, should have this on the move by Thursday 8-21 .. Thank you for the seed Tommo !!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

people are all freekin out here in Jax. tons of people are taking the day off .. all for just a little bit of rain and wind . just an excuse not to work !! this is ready to go out , will see if it can be mailed today ,, if not it will be out by fri or sat. Have a Grate day folks !!
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Converting the files right now and I'll try to have it off to joneb by monday. Thanks everyone, Trevor "You know the one thing we need is a left handed monkey wrench....."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

looks good to me!I'm guessing it'll sound even better. I'm in. 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb 15. Ursa Minor (funbebop@yahoo.com) 16. MarkintheDark 17. Estim8ed
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

as of this morning 9-18. Sorry Ive been a little slow with turning these around lately guys. Peace, Trevor "You know the one thing we need is a left handed monkey wrench....."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

haven't had a chance to burn em yet...will do this weekend...Peace.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hey Now, this one is out the door to mark in the dark...in Ky. (my home state too! ) on oct. 4th, 2008 saturday... I wish that for just one time, You could stand inside my shoes, and for just that one moment, I could be you - Bob Dylan, Positively 4th St.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Hi,The Cal Expo vine arrived today, I'll get it turned around as quick as I can Cheers! Mark (mumble mumble twitch "so many vines" twitch mumble "must copy discs" mumble mumble)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Hi,The Cal Expo vine is on its way to Estim8ed as of an hour ago. There's another address I'm gonna have rememberized before long! Cheers, MarkintheDark
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

I recieved this vine and have it ready to go. As far as I can tell, I'm the last on the list, so if you sign up just PM me w/your address and they'll be on their way!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Cal Expo 1989 Vine6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb 15. Ursa Minor (funbebop@yahoo.com) 16. MarkintheDark 17. Estim8ed 18. Oroboros 19. Thanks Tommo The Truth is realized in an instant, the act is practiced step by step.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I just looked back and realized this is on flac and I am indeed conversion impaired without my sons friend in town. So I will withdraw from consideration at this point and possibly jump back in when Evan is back to help me. Sorry for the 'change-up' but I do have several other vines (on wav) that will be arriving and I don't want to hold stuff up due to my Flintsonean computer skills.Thanks, maybe in the future. The Truth is realized in an instant, the act is practiced step by step.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Cal Expo 1989 Vine6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb 15. Ursa Minor (funbebop@yahoo.com) 16. MarkintheDark 17. Estim8ed 18. 19. And Cal Expo 1989 Vine 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb 15. Ursa Minor (funbebop@yahoo.com) 16. MarkintheDark 17. Estim8ed 18. Oroboros 19. And Estim8ed has the vine at this point. The Truth is realized in an instant, the act is practiced step by step.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

.And Cal Expo 1989 Vine 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb 15. Ursa Minor (funbebop@yahoo.com) 16. MarkintheDark 17. Estim8ed 18. Oroboros 19. And Estim8ed has the vine at this point. The Truth is realized in an instant, the act is practiced step by step.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I am resigning for this as everyone is about through this vine. I accidentally deleted the file with these shows,don't know quite how,but looked down at the screen and the laptop was madly deleting files as fast as thouroughbred on race day.caught it just in time. Something with my method of using winamp to decode the flac files. Anyway, thanCal Expo 1989 Vine 6. DaveC 7. Marty - mmeyer@extend.com (gdhead77) 8. Dead in MA 9. pkpotter 10.chasmo[gonzo7755@yahoo.com.] 11. stuman 12. shermand 13. That Nice Hippy Guy 14. joneb 15. Ursa Minor (funbebop@yahoo.com) 16. MarkintheDark 17. Estim8ed 18. Oroboros 19. pkpotter ks again tommo, this was one of my favorite vines as this was home.