- November 27, 2018 - 2:19pmdaverockJoined:September 1, 2014Paris 4th May 1972
Great review, Alain. This show is definitely one of the best, if not THE best, in the box set that came out a few years ago. I was fractionally too young to catch the band in 1972-but that was the time to see them. One of them..
- October 19, 2018 - 12:37pmAlainJoined:June 8, 20074 MAY 1972, PARIS, FRANCE
The atmosphere is hot tonight, boulevard des Italiens in Paris: the Grateful Dead will give its second concert in Paris, as part of its European tour. But if the atmosphere is electric in the streets, it is mainly because dozens of young people demonstrate and fight against the CRS to claim the free rock concerts.
The Olympia Room is a classic music hall, with its rows of tight seats against each other, and the balcony overlooking the stage - and where I'm sitting tonight. Really uncomfortable to dance. But the music, irresistible, seizes the body and, like many others, I spend a good part of the concert to gesticulate, standing, wedged between two chairs.
I dance like crazy on a Good Lovin 'furious. The musicians have no look, there is no stage play, nothing to do except Pig Pen, his hat, his look, his mouth. But after a while I do not listen anymore, I focus my attention on what the musicians do behind him. They weave wefts, they ornament, they open paths and then close them, they are discrete or roar, it seems endless, and the rhythm, always the rhythm that catches the body, makes them vibrate, the music that becomes colors, red sounds, mauve sounds, and it whirls, a real party for the head and the body.
So many songs played beautifully, tonight! From the first title of the concert, Greatest Story Ever Told (very energetic) to Chinatown Suffle, Playing In The Band (played, it seems to me, on a tempo a little slower than usual), Big Railroad Blues (where Jerry launches riffs as rarely) and so many others. Until that Dark Star, which I did not know and which appeared to me in all its magnificence, a waving and swirling sound wave. Never heard!
Graceful acrobats, subtle tightrope walkers, the musicians, fire in the veins, give, this May 4, 1972, a magnificent concert, not resembling anything I had listened to until today. Probably, one of the best concerts of one of the best tours of the Dead. For my part, one of the three biggest concerts I've attended in my life, and the biggest rock concert.
- September 25, 2018 - 6:55amrurismoJoined:September 25, 2018SpainHello From Madrid
- August 11, 2018 - 1:31pmJerryGarciasWi…Joined:January 24, 2017Amsterdam Dead HeadsHello From Buffalo NY! I hope you made it to the U.S. for 2016 tour! I am responding to your post because I will be visiting Amsterdam This Sept 2nd 2018. I am looking for fellow Amsterdam Dead heads to meet up with. Do you still live there? -McKenzie O'Malley Buffalo NY
- July 25, 2018 - 3:30amporfidoJoined:January 2, 2017ITALYhelloin the late 80's i left for the states and saw gd in oakland.. ended up living in sf for a year and a half.. really miss those times while there i bought a 69 sg with bigsby b5 that looked exactly like the live dead one unfortunately is gone, i regret selling it every day no one knows the wereabout of that one sg ? greetings from italy h
- March 17, 2018 - 5:21ampurpleerik69Joined:May 24, 2015PETITION FOR DEAD&CO EUROPE FALL 18how about startin a petition for them boys havin a few shows in good ole europe this fall as it is rumoured ( Relix et c. ) ?We need to tell them that there are enough Heads in Europe to fill a 10.000 seater in the betutiful cities of London, Paris, Amsterdam , Milano , Munich , Vienna , Prag.......
- March 6, 2018 - 11:38pmpurpleerik69Joined:May 24, 2015re : Gr8tefulspacewelcome on board - it`s a nice place here though ther are not so many European heads here i suppose.Dead and Co coming to Europe this fall ? if they do i will travel from show to show. I am thankful for nugs.net - covering all them shows on TV , even the Bob and Phil solo shows....if you like to trade , pm me...... Erik ( Austria )
- March 4, 2018 - 2:53pmGr8tefulspaceJoined:October 18, 2008FranceHi! I live in France border to Germany and Switzerland close to Basel exactly.I was never at a dead show but I saw them on live TV (lol) at Rockpalast in Germany in 1981. Since then I'm a big fan of the Dead. I have a huge collection of CDs and DVDs of concerts, Books, first printing poster t-shirts. Now, I need a miracle and Dead & Co are welcome in Europe ...
- March 4, 2018 - 2:52pmGr8tefulspaceJoined:October 18, 2008FranceHi! I live in France border to Germany and Switzerland close to Basel exactly.I was never at a dead show but I saw them on live TV (lol) at Rockpalast in Germany in 1981. Since then I'm a big fan of the Dead. I have a huge collection of CDs and DVDs of concerts, Books, first printing poster t-shirts. Now, I need a miracle and Dead & Co are welcome in Europe ...
- February 7, 2018 - 11:38amcosmicbadgerJoined:June 13, 2007Dead and Company coming to Europe?Euroheads stand by the rumours are getting stronger about 8 Dead & Co dates in Europe after Lockn', starting in Amsterdam.