Hi folks--we've been up and running less than 24 hours and so far there's a definite pattern in the issues that are coming up. So please check here when you log on to save yourselves slogging around looking for the answers. Bear in mind that all this is a work in progress and it's definitely not perfect yet. Please bear with us. Thanks! izzie and marye, your humble mods
Having trouble with the audio streams? Before pursuing the issue further, please make sure you have the relevant media player, either QuickTime or Windows Media, properly installed on your computer. Not sure? Go here to download the latest player and follow easy installation directions:
Friends and neighbors, while it would be premature to say that your prayers and entreaties have been answered, it's certainly safe to say that they've inspired urgent prioritization and help is on the way.
In response to this morning's batch of pleas, the word from our pals at the Store is, essentially, this:
1. The Download Series will return to the Store real soon now.
2. It was never the intention for it to go away; it just sort of slipped down the list due to the bazillion other issues involved in launching the new site.
3. Thanks to your many comments, there is now no doubt in anyone's mind that this is an urgently desired offering, and it's risen to the top of the priority sort.
We will have more definite news shortly, but we thought you'd like to know this now!
Folks, we have it on good authority that the Fan Photo upload feature has been restored to health, and judging by the nice new pix in the collection, it seems to be true.
So post them pix (the ones you have the rights for, anyway!) and if you have any problems, report them
1. Fan photo uploads are still broken.
2. Various folks' requests to get the Downloads back in the Store have been duly forwarded to the Store folks. Meanwhile, if you can use the iTunes format (which does NOT, as someone asked, require an iPod per se, because you can burn CDs or play tunes on your computer or even, I think, convert to MP3 for other players if you're desperate...), the downloads and studio releases are alive and well in the iTunes store. (Go to Apple.com and follow the fairly obvious links. PC and Mac versions available.)
Audiophiles are cordially invited to weigh in in the Technical discussion in Tapers to explain to the rest of us why various audio formats are or are not the True Path.
3. Good news/bad news: we've solved the mystery of the disappearing posts. We know how to prevent it from happening again. Unfortunately the disappeared posts are well and truly gone; we think there are about 20 in all, mostly from the first week.
While this reinforces the mantra of NEVER PUT YOUR ONLY COPY OF SOMETHING HERE, because one never knows when the technological ground may shift beneath one's feet, we are very, very sorry this happened. (Anyone who wants the gory details about software surprises biting your hapless mods on the virtual butt, feel free to PM me.)
Thanks and furthur!
Dear friends, you may be among those whose blood runs cold at the words "server upgrade," and you wouldn't be wrong. Details are still sketchy, but one thing's for sure: things did not go exactly as they ought with last night's upgrade, and things were quite strange, if not actually Dead, earlier in the day.
While the intrepid tech team is trying to figure this out, FAN PHOTO UPLOADING IS TEMPORARILY DISABLED. This too will pass, but in the meantime please don't waste your energy struggling with it. We'll post here again when it's all better.
Thank you as always for your patience...
izzie and marye
We've just received word that the server farm where this place resides is going to shut everything down for maintenance starting tonight at midnight and lasting for about 4 hours (i.e., 12 midnight to 4 a.m. June 20, Pacific time).
If you're trying to reach this site during those hours and not getting through, that's probably why! Please try again later in the day. Thank you!
izzie and marye
For the moment at least, it's possible to put images in posts. We're not entirely sure if this feature is staying (so don't put your only copy of something in a post...), because it could wind up bringing the system to its knees with the sheer load, but for the time being, PLEASE, before you upload an image, reduce its size to no larger than 300x200 pixels.
And please, only one image per post.
We heartily encourage you to use sigs in your posts, but please, keep 'em short, like a line or two, or, say, 200 characters.
We also encourage you to post links, but please don't post really long URLs because for the moment they mess with the formatting and get pretty ugly. If the URL just IS really long, we heartily recommend the fine services of http://tinyurl.com/ to get a shorter one.
Thank you, thank you.
izzie and marye
Folks, we're hearing that some people, especially people with comcast addresses, are trying to sign up but are never getting their emailed passwords. We aren't entirely sure what's going on yet, but it's on the list. Meanwhile, here's the workaround: set up an address on gmail or yahoo, and use that to register. (You can set up that email account to forward to your "real" one, no problem.) After that, all should run smoothly.
We're also getting a lot of people asking questions about Store issues in the Forums. Like, what about Downloads, and when it is this box set coming out, and problems with orders and suchlike. We, your humble Forum mods, are quite clueless on those issues, because they involve a whole nother part of the universe. If you email
you'll certainly get better results, because those folks actually know the answers to your questions.
izzie and marye
Here's the status on these issues as of today:
1. If you're wondering why you're not appearing on the Google map, please be advised that it won't work for you unless it has your full street address. If it does have that, it works like a champ, but you may have your own views about having your street address in a public place on the net. This is a Google issue, not a dead.net issue, and for the moment at least it is what it is; make your own decisions in the matter.
2. Yes, it's true, topic starting is turned off for the moment. As you may have noticed, there are still a few bugs we're trying to deal with, and trying to keep the sheer number of topics manageable while we're doing so. In the meantime, if there's a topic you want to see, please send a message to izzie or marye and we'll see about getting it put up quickly.
3. Forum topics on old dead.net are gone, at least for the moment. We've asked if it's possible to have them accessible in an archive somewhere; we don't yet have an answer. When we do, we'll post. Thanks!
izzie and marye