Grateful Dead

110 replies [Last post]

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Awwww Shucks! I love you so!

Roses ae Red
Violets are Blue
Mr. Jerry Garica
I love you

--------{--------@
------{-------@
----------{----------@
with all my heart xoxox
love IS real
U R my shining star
and life was sweeter...
I know.
HB and all that
half o cup of rye to ya darlin'.
Salute` Cheers` Havenagoodiefark`
WALSTIB X2

PS TO all you beautiful Heads out there...
thanks for all this sharing and caring and
true reality! It's been sooo good, soooo
sooo good. Love to you ALL! XOXOX
This place has happy home ambiance
and lots of truth too...feels so good here!
Thank YOU for a Real good TIME!

First days, birthdays, and days between

11/20/71 Pauley Pavillion. Sat on stage, under the piano with my buddy, Dan, thinking, "I'm hooked. This is going to be a long, strange trip." I had no idea. Last show, 5/19/95 Sam Boyd Silver Bowl. Almost 24 years of shows... we forgot about the time. Happy birthday, Jerry, and to all who love the man and his music.

Snark's picture
Remembering Jerry

Never got to meet Jerry, but I saw him with the Dead four times (3 shows in San Bernardino and one in Long Beach, CA). I still have a stealie bumper sticker on my old '77 Chevy LUV pickup that got pasted on at the Long Beach show in '81 (and, somehow, it still has fairly good colors after 28 years...). All three times I was at the Swing Auditorium (San Bernardino) I was in the standing room area of the floor in front of the stage, never more than about 30 feet from the band, and what I remember most from those shows (and from listening to hundreds of recordings of concerts afterwards) is that Jerry was all about playing the songs (by contrast, The Dead's 2009 tour seemed to be about playing the music, but not focusing on the songs themselves--I don't know if I can put it better, or even differently than that, and it's not a complaint, because I loved the show at the Forum and I've enjoyed listening to the whole tour thanks to the FLAC downloads).

Tonight, August 8, I will celebrate Jerry by performing some of his songs on acoustic guitar during my wife's art gallery opening reception in Long Beach. I figure on playing Jack-a-roe, Loser, Peggy-O, Friend of the Devil, Louis Collins, and Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie, maybe a couple of others, solo acoustic fingerstyle. If you're in the area, it's at the Spezzano Gallery on The Promenade North, just below Broadway, with the reception going from 6 to 9 pm. No, I'm NOT going to play a 3 hour show or take requests--I'm playing what I think I can do justice to and nothing else, because it's about the songs, and it's about doing them well, for Jerry's sake.

I am sure Jerry would come to 40 yr reunion Woodstock in SF

I am sure Jerry and Chet Helms would have come to the upcoming West Fest Woodstock 40 year Reunion that will be FREE and happening on October 25 in Golden Gate Park this year.
I am also sure everyone wants to see Bobby, Phil, Bill, Mickey et al show up for it. Will someone please make an appearance?

After all, we are nearing the station at the end of The Golden Road soon.

Sweet Jerry memories

Okay, I'll share my first Jerry memory. It was Halloween 1974.....the Dead had just finished their legendary 5 night run at Winterland that was to mark either the end of their touring days or else the beginning of their hiatus....it was unknown at the time. Even though I was a confirmed Dead Head my parents wouldn't let me go to Winterland because I was the tender age of 15 and I was a girl....(my brother was allowed to see them when he was younger than me). I guess they changed their mind though because they let me go on Halloween to see Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders at a basketball gym at San Francisco State University. I don't think this show was publicized much....by the middle of the second set a lot of people had drifted out of the room and there were only about 100 people left, all of them close to the stage, which was like the bed of a flat bed truck set up on the side of the gym. I squeezed up to near the front of the stage, smiling up at Jerry and during one song he smiled right back at me, singing to me with those sparkling eyes of his. I remember that there just weren't that many people around and the lights were turned up bright. It was such a wonderful connection, and a great beginning to 21 years of seeing shows.

Jerry in My Mind's Eye...

My first show was in '77, my but first GD record was purchsed in '76 and recorded in '74: SYF. That's how I like to remember Jerry: 32 years-old, fit, black hair and beard and a voice as smooth as silk, that seemed to go wherever he wanted it to. And the way he played that first incarnation of Wolf; the tone, the risky licks. I don't play guitar but my son does. He's amazed when we watch "The Movie" together. Truly a band beyond description; always will be.

haightdon's picture
Happy Jerry Week 2009

With a good Friend, I attended Jerry Day 2009 at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in McLaren Park, San Francisco. Melvin Seals and JGB were there again and fantastic. As was the band that played before JGB. I had a great time listening to music and hanging with friends.

All week long I have been listening to the Grateful Dead from different time periods (68, 69, 71, 73, 74, 78, and 86 and then 84, 85 and 88). It has been a fantastic week. My boss was telling me about the times he went to Winterland, and my wife and I talked about the 80's when she followed the band on tour throughout the West Coast. We talked about Jerry coming back from his diabetic coma, and the one drummer to two drummers to one then back to two drummers. Plus the times when the band almost broke up. All in all it has been a fantastic week.

Someday they will make an Ipod that can hold a Terra byte.

Meeko's picture
Que Descansa

l've been listening to the Man for 37 years now! Since I first heard that guitar break on Johnny B Goode from Skull & Roses, and thought "man that guys good!" I saw him for the first time at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston, Fall 1975, during a pause between songs, the late, great Nicky Hopkins asked the crowd "is or is not the guitar drowning out the keyboards?" After some hearty booing, Nicky played some of his tunes, and won 'em back. I listen to this amazing music every day...I've nothing but good memories from all the shows, GD & JGB. From the bottom of my heart I thank you Jerry Garcia, you made, and still make the world a better place through your playing.

Michael

Alain's picture
Avec amour

Jerry,

C'est avec beaucoup d'émotion que je pense à ta disparition, et surtout à tout l'amour que tu as donné, avec et sans le Grateful Dead, à tant de gens à travers le monde.

Dans mon ciel, brille une étoile que j'appelle "Jerry", et une autre que j'appelle "Grateful Dead".

Un Dead Head reconnaissant,
Alain

lunaloo's picture
Happy Jerry Dayz!

Whup on the boxcar, beat on the bell
Nothin' else shakin' so you might just as well...

Happy Jerry Dayz!

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
"Jerry Week" 2009 -- August 1-9