Grateful Dead

110 replies [Last post]

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
scamperoni's picture
Jerry Week

Spent Jerry's Birthday with a bunch of friends and 10 hours of music at Irvine Lake in Santiago CA. We camped, danced, laughed and had lots of fun. There were 3 bands, the Hempstring Trio (bluegrass Jerry), The Maykers (Jerry Band tunes) and Cubensis (Dead tunz). Sunday morning after the event, talkin to some of the bandmembers from each of the bands, they said they felt Jerry's love and it made them play better & it went from the bands to the audience, back to the band. What a beautiful weekend!

Exit to Ithaca

Last week I was driving thru NY on vacation with my family. My car tried to turn all on it's own onto the exit going to Ithaca. I had to force the steering wheel back. Why another second and we would have been able to make an unscheduled stop at Cornel. The wife didn't think I was being very funny, she said no, darn it!

Jerry

I spent Jerry's b-day at the Rock Hall and the first display I saw was one with Rosebud, Lightning Bolt, Top Hat and Wolf Jr. Just a thing of beauty. You just go to a very cool place within being in the company of those guitars. I am still trying to find the words to describe it. Simply Incredible and very moving. All the best to everyone out there.

Jerry

I listened to a great version of Jerry singing Scarlet this morning on the radio on my way to work. Not even the traffic bothered me today. Thanks for the music Jerry, you will always be remembered.

Jerry

I've tried to forget.

I have this cat named Jerry Garcia from Sonoma County - born the same week that Jerry was lost. Orange DSH with completely psychedelic stripes! From Forgotten Felines on Hall Road, and Vince Welnick knew this cat...

He listens to GD all the time - happy as can be when other cats flee (well, except for Mr. Charlie, who is a whole other story) I know there is a little bit of Jerry in him. He's getting older now, but nothing has changed. I swear he knows, especially around his birthday...

Condolences to all.

4everagratefuldeadhead's picture
I miss you Papa.

We spent birthdays, weekends, mardigras, easter, many new years eve together. You were my family back then and now I have my own family. My lovely wife and 2 daughters.
The kids went with us to the Gorge show this last May 2009. My 10 year old came up to me while I was dancing and said:"Papa you are in your space" then my 6 year old came up to me and said "Papa, thank you for taking us to see Jerry Garcia. WOW!

Steve-O's picture
Never Forget

I will never forget my 1st show back in 81 or my last show in 95, the shows in between kinda run together, but that 1st show that sucked me in, and the last show at three rivers were the best memories i will ever have. Thank You Jerry Garcia And The Grateful Dead For showing me the light!!!!!!
Peace

Not Just Any Smile & Nod . . . but Jerry's !

Only Deadheads will get this; all others will likely roll their eyes and shake their heads. Anyway, this is for you, my fellow Deadheads, but most of all for you, Jer:

I had a great seat at a show in Providence in September, 1987 on Jerry's side, about 10 rows up from the floor and about equal to the 10th or 15th row on the floor. As the crow flies, it was literally about 15 yards from Jerry's post, stage left. I had eaten a peculiar piece of paper which, let us say, "livened" things up a bit. Standing to my immediate left was my friend Jenny who, though healthy in her own right, had decided against eating a square meal before the show. Accordingly, her view of things may have been a bit different from mine. But were they? Ahh!

In between a couple of songs in the first set, I was standing mezmerized by what was going on before me -- indeed w/in 15 yards of me: the Grateful Dead in all its glory were doin what they do best. Lights, guitars, amps, drums, freaks and all sorts invisible happenings, real and perceived in between -- and there I stood soaking it ALL in, hands on hips, chest protruding outward, eyes a-light bright and wide, smile plastered to my face when I swore Jerry, standing at his microphone, was staring right back at me -- a mere 15 yards away despite 20,000 Deadheads eagerly awaiting the next tune and his bandmembers waiting, tinkering w/ their instruments who occasionally glanced over at him as if to say, "Whatchyagot, Jer?". At first, I simply attributed it to the peculiar square meal. Then suddenly Jenny, six inches to my left, grabbed my arm and squeeled: "He's staring right at you!" confirming what I had suspected but did not believe. I beamed a huge smile and nod at Jerry and returned rigth back at me was that uniquely Jerry smile and nod right back to me -- I could tell that he could tell I was THOROUGHLY DIGGING EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS WHOLE MOMENT AND SCENE AND MUSIC.

Herein, lies but a snippet of this guy's magic: with a mere smile and nod more than 22 years ago, the guy made me feel special, not for that one moment but indeed to this very day. I know Jerry was just a guy, just another gifted fellow human, not a guru or a god . . . but he was and IS more than just another cat -- he had the gift and he shared it with abundance. And for that, I thank you, Jerry; I will keep you in my prayers, I will keep the faith and I will join you in the Promised Land by and by. Stay cool, my friend and pray for me, my family and my fellow Deadheads! We will pray for you -- rigth back at ya, m' friend, right back at ya!

Thanks.

Memories of Jerry...

My #1 Jerry memory is in two pats and centers around Comes A Time...

The first time I ever heard Comes a Time was at my first show - 11/1/85 - and it stunned me - I was on the floor on the Phil side (General Admission show... remember those??). The depth of the song and emotion of the singer just blew me away.

The next time I saw it played live again wasn't until Spring of 1993 - not sure the date - but it was the Knick in Albany. I was going through some serious tough times on a bunch of levels, and I almost didn't go - I had been to Richfield & Landover - but I had a floor seat on Jerry's side, so... I went... When Comes A Time started it seemed that everyone around me sat down - but I stood, swayed and sang along with Jerry looking right at me. - It seemed he sang at least half of the song right to me - including - emphatically - "Can't let go cause you're afraid to fall - The day may come when you can't feel at all"... which was the message I needed right at that moment...

ONLY love can fill....

Miss you Jerry.

gypsy soul's picture
grateful for the chances

as sad as it is that we have lost jerry, i have to be very grateful for having been able to open my ears, mind, and soul to his beautiful gift of music. just think how much more everything would suck if we didn't have his music to take us to a better place, if only in our heads anyway.
thanks jerry. there will never be another like you.
peace to all

nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
"Jerry Week" 2009 -- August 1-9