New Vines 2009
With collaboration from various kind folks in the Dead.net vining community, our own erickat prepared this handy guide explaining how vining works hereabouts. Many thanks to all involved, and vine on! --
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
(We're changing some things for 2009)
BACKGROUND: The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows,and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Make sure you can deal with the media format. Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowledgeable and capable of copying audio CD's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you at least need the capability of reading a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats. Help is readily available - just ask. Here are some helpful links:
VINE: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
VINEYARD: A topic within Dead.net (where all the vine forums exist) SEEDER: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media) PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net SIGNUP LIST: The list of people who sign up to receive the package. Note - Be careful to get the most up to date version - you may have to go back a few pages from the end to find it.
POSTING: The act of leaving a message in a forum (very important) Post to sign-up Post when a vine arrives ; Post after a vine is sent.
New VINE Process (changes for 2009):
1. Check the Vinedex (updated from time to time, but may be out of date) to make sure it hasn't already been vined. Note - not everything is fair game for vining. Check the following before vining anything:
a) The Vinedex
b) Dicks Picks
If it's not in those places, it is generally fair game. No copyrighted material, please Taper friendly bands only. (Marye may veto a particular vine for copyright or similar reasons.)
2. Post your vine info here (without signup list) - maybe include a note reminding people not to sign-up until it has its own topic.
3. Marye creates a forum topic with the vine info & a blank sign-up list and posts a link in the new vines area (e.g. VINE XXXX Lives HERE - with a link)
4. Then people go to that vine & start signing up NOTE - to make it easier on Marye, you could also PM her with the info. No early sign-ups - Any sign-ups before the vine has its own home will be ignored
SIGNING UP FOR A VINE:
1. Find a VINE you want to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete LIST (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person directly before you with your name & mailing address. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea) (it can take a long time between when you sign up and when it arrives, so you really need to track what you're on the hook for & when to expect it- it's a responsibility)
5. Check your PM inbox and the vines you've signed up for periodically, so you know if someone is looking for you AND so you know when to expect each vine's arrival. Remember, if someone posts that they sent it to you & that's the last we know... it will look like you were the one that dropped the ball. If you don't receive a vine when you thought it was coming, then Post
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Take care of the media - don't scratch 'em or crack 'em or put your fingerprints all over them - clean media means a longer lived vine
8. Make a copy for yourself & mail the ORIGINALS to the next person on the list.(If the person directly behind you on the list hasn't sent you their address, PM them. If no response after 3 or 4 days, PM the next in line - but post to the vine so people know)
9. Please make sure to properly package and address the media before mailing it. We have had some unfortunate losses, due to bad addresses, packages falling apart and just plain lost in the mail. Padded envelopes are cheap - and make sure they're securely taped & properly addressed.
10. AFTER you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person on the list. It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Post messages to the vine upon receipt and again, after you have sent it on.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, PM them. If no response, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they don't, PM the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing. This is very important. It's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on. It can't be overstated how important POSTING is - just knowing what is going on will prevent speculation, accusations & hard feelings.
CAVEAT EMPTOR As a friend of mine always says ... "don't sweat the small stuff" - "and by the way - it's all small stuff."
Life happens - car accidents, arrests, people get sick - people abscond - but you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free. Sometimes vines disappear - and many times, they are revived or re-seeded by kind folk. This is the most unrestrictive & trusting vine community I know of - and the reason we emphasize posting is so we can keep the music flowing - not to accuse or condemn. If we know a vine is lost, then someone can re-seed and keep the music going. Nobody should get upset or make personal attacks over what happens here. In the past, we've had all sorts of reasons why people just disappear - and when they came back, we were overjoyed that they did. Sometimes, if a person is known to be unreliable, their name will be removed from the vine lists - but that's a rare occurrence.
Neil Young, Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN August 18, 2005
World Premiere “Prairie Wind”(Jonathan Demme Directs “Neil Young In Concert –
Prairie Wind Live Filming”)
Source:??? > Audio-CD > EAC > FLAC Frontend > Audio CD
01. The Painter
02. No Wonder
03. Falling Off The Face Of The Earth
04. Far From Home
05. It’s A Dream
06. Prairie Wind
07. Here For You
08. This Old Guitar
09. He Was The King
10. When God Made Me
01. I Am A Child
02. Heart Of Gold
03. Old Man
04. The Needle And The Damage Done
05. Comes A Time
06. Band Introduction
07. Four Strong Winds
08. Old King
09. Harvest Moon
10. One Of These Days
Neil Young - guitar, grand piano, vocals
Ben Keith - pedal steel, lap steel, background vocals
Spooner Oldham - keyboards, marimba
Rick Rosas - bass
Chad Cromwell - drums
Karl Himmel - drums, percussion
Emmylou Harris - background vocals, guitar
Grant Boatwright - guitar
Anthony Crawford - fiddle, guitar, background vocals
Clinton Gregory - fiddle
Larry Cragg - banjo, broom
Diana DeWitt - background vocals, guitar, autoharp
Gary Pigg - background vocals, guitar
Pegi Young - background vocals, guitar
Wayne Jackson - trumpet
Tom McGinley - sax
Jimmy Sharp - trombone
The Fisk University Jubilee Singers - background vocals
The Nashville String Machine - strings
Huge thanks to Neil Young and everyone involved !
Enjoy folks !
Here is another Hunter Seamon's Matrix vine, this time from three consecutive shows in October of '89 along with a New Year's matrix from a separate source. Again, all are excellent sounding SBD/AUD mixes, the first from the Spectrum in Philly on Oct. 20, two from the Charlotte run on the 22-23, and the New Years show from the Oakland Colisueum Arena on 12/31 (matrixed by Hansokolow). This vine also includes both versions of California Earthquake.... the only two ever performed.
This will be a DVD vine with .FLAC files... but if anyone would like me to start a .WAV vine on CDR's just let me know. Sources are as follows... Setlists are from DeadBase.
10/20/89 The Spectrum, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Set 1: Touch Of Gray [6:19] ~ Greatest Story Ever Told [4:10]; Candyman [6:44]; Picasso Moon [7:26]; Just A Little Light [4:44] % Tennessee Jed; Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again [8:56]; Stagger Lee [5:39]; The Promised Land [4:27]; California Earthquake [5:50]
Set 2: Hey Pocky Way [6:48]; Scarlet Begonias [10:03] > Fire On The Mountain [13:44]; Truckin' [7:07] > The Other One Jam [14:33] (1) > Drums [10:#35] > Space [11:00] > I Will Take You Home [5:06] > The Other One [11:11] (2) > Wharf
Rat [10:26]; Sugar Magnolia [5:52#]
Encore: Brokedown Palace
10/22/89 Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, North Carolina
Set 1: Foolish Heart [8:03]; New Minglewood Blues [7:28]; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [5:56]; Queen Jane Approximately [6:00]; Ramble On Rose [6:47]; Beat It On Down The Line [3:13]; Bird Song [14:12]; Johnny B. Goode [3:55]
Set 2: Blow Away [10:00]; Samson And Delilah [6:20]; Help On The Way [3:44] > Slipknot! [6:33] > Franklin's Tower [9:40] > Jam [7:#17] > Drums [5:55] > Space [8:43] > I Need A Miracle [4:04] > Stella Blue [8:36] > Throwing Stones [9:11] > Not Fade Away [7:51#]
Encore: Black Muddy River [5:53]
10/23/89 Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, North Carolina
Set 1: California Earthquake [5:05]; Feel Like A Stranger [7:19]; Loser [6:42]; Walkin' Blues [5:24]; Bertha [6:21] > When I Paint My Masterpiece [5:05] % Tennessee Jed [7:15]; Let It Grow [12:09]
Set 2: Touch Of Gray [6:10]; Looks Like Rain [7:58]; We Can Run [6:28]; Crazy Fingers [7:47] > Terrapin Station [13:55] % Drums [#4:53] > Space [6:19] > I Will Take You Home [4:42] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:13] > Standing On The Moon [8:29] > Turn On Your Lovelight [6:33]
Encore: Attics Of My Life [5:18]
12/31/89 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, California
Set 1: Sugar Magnolia [4:43]; Touch Of Gray [6:31]; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) [8:41]; Big Boss Man [5:00] (1); Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again [8:24]; Shakedown Street [11:00]
Set 2: Iko Iko [6:28]; Victim Or The Crime [8:40] > Dark Star [13:07] (2) > Drums [12:16] > Space [6:16] > Dear Mr. Fantasy [6:34] > Hey Jude Reprise [3:36] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [5:06] > Throwing Stones [9:06] ~ Not Fade Away [7:13]
Encore: Brokedown Palace [4:42] ~ Sunshine Daydream [3:32]; In The Midnight Hour [4:53]
Comments: (1) With Bonnie Rait
After Marye gives this one a home, I would ask that the first person to sign up please send me a text message and I will get this out immediately.
Thanks and enjoy!
Ok, this is it. Installment 5 of the complete Garcia Project from 1974. This vine will once again be in FLAC/SHN format and will include the following shows:
As usual, I will throw in some bonus material.
Hunter has posted very cool covers for all his matrix shows from 2008 on Lossless Legs
going to keep it as listed originally.... will also get an '89 Matrix vine together in a day or so.... will be Oct 20, 22-23 along with the 12-31 show of 89.... More info on that soon.
To keep the vine consistent...I will add some other '84 Seamons' Matrix shows... to make it two full dvd's of FLAC files.... will repost here with the sources after I get home later today. Thanks!