New Vines 2009
With collaboration from various kind folks in the Dead.net vining community, our own erickat prepared this handy guide explaining how vining works hereabouts. Many thanks to all involved, and vine on! --
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
(We're changing some things for 2009)
BACKGROUND: The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows,and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Make sure you can deal with the media format. Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowledgeable and capable of copying audio CD's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you at least need the capability of reading a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats. Help is readily available - just ask. Here are some helpful links:
VINE: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
VINEYARD: A topic within Dead.net (where all the vine forums exist) SEEDER: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media) PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net SIGNUP LIST: The list of people who sign up to receive the package. Note - Be careful to get the most up to date version - you may have to go back a few pages from the end to find it.
POSTING: The act of leaving a message in a forum (very important) Post to sign-up Post when a vine arrives ; Post after a vine is sent.
New VINE Process (changes for 2009):
1. Check the Vinedex (updated from time to time, but may be out of date) to make sure it hasn't already been vined. Note - not everything is fair game for vining. Check the following before vining anything:
a) The Vinedex
b) Dicks Picks
If it's not in those places, it is generally fair game. No copyrighted material, please Taper friendly bands only. (Marye may veto a particular vine for copyright or similar reasons.)
2. Post your vine info here (without signup list) - maybe include a note reminding people not to sign-up until it has its own topic.
3. Marye creates a forum topic with the vine info & a blank sign-up list and posts a link in the new vines area (e.g. VINE XXXX Lives HERE - with a link)
4. Then people go to that vine & start signing up NOTE - to make it easier on Marye, you could also PM her with the info. No early sign-ups - Any sign-ups before the vine has its own home will be ignored
SIGNING UP FOR A VINE:
1. Find a VINE you want to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete LIST (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person directly before you with your name & mailing address. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea) (it can take a long time between when you sign up and when it arrives, so you really need to track what you're on the hook for & when to expect it- it's a responsibility)
5. Check your PM inbox and the vines you've signed up for periodically, so you know if someone is looking for you AND so you know when to expect each vine's arrival. Remember, if someone posts that they sent it to you & that's the last we know... it will look like you were the one that dropped the ball. If you don't receive a vine when you thought it was coming, then Post
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Take care of the media - don't scratch 'em or crack 'em or put your fingerprints all over them - clean media means a longer lived vine
8. Make a copy for yourself & mail the ORIGINALS to the next person on the list.(If the person directly behind you on the list hasn't sent you their address, PM them. If no response after 3 or 4 days, PM the next in line - but post to the vine so people know)
9. Please make sure to properly package and address the media before mailing it. We have had some unfortunate losses, due to bad addresses, packages falling apart and just plain lost in the mail. Padded envelopes are cheap - and make sure they're securely taped & properly addressed.
10. AFTER you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person on the list. It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Post messages to the vine upon receipt and again, after you have sent it on.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, PM them. If no response, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they don't, PM the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing. This is very important. It's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on. It can't be overstated how important POSTING is - just knowing what is going on will prevent speculation, accusations & hard feelings.
CAVEAT EMPTOR As a friend of mine always says ... "don't sweat the small stuff" - "and by the way - it's all small stuff."
Life happens - car accidents, arrests, people get sick - people abscond - but you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free. Sometimes vines disappear - and many times, they are revived or re-seeded by kind folk. This is the most unrestrictive & trusting vine community I know of - and the reason we emphasize posting is so we can keep the music flowing - not to accuse or condemn. If we know a vine is lost, then someone can re-seed and keep the music going. Nobody should get upset or make personal attacks over what happens here. In the past, we've had all sorts of reasons why people just disappear - and when they came back, we were overjoyed that they did. Sometimes, if a person is known to be unreliable, their name will be removed from the vine lists - but that's a rare occurrence.
Grateful Dead - June 8, 1974
Coliseum Stadium - Oakland, CA
Set 1 + Encores: SBD -> Master Reel -> Reel -> Reel -> Wavelab -> FLAC
Set 2: SBD -> Master Reel -> Dat -> Wavelab -> FLAC
FLAC -> Adobe Audition v1.5 -> Samplitude Professional v10.2 -> FLAC
(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)
Re-mastered By Charlie Miller
February 4, 2009
Sony ECM250 -> Master Cassette -> FLAC (shnid=94594) supplies:
U.S. Blues (complete track)
Big River (complete track)
Ship Of Fools (complete track)
Playing In The Band (17:00 - 17:20)
Sugar Magnolia (complete track)
-- All disc changes are seamless
-- This is a re-master of shnid=97182
-- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his help with the pitch correction
-- Thanks to Matt Smith, Pat Lee, Jamie Waddell and David Gans for the SBD
-- Thanks to Bob Menke for the AUD source
-- I cleaned up some flaws and pitch corrected some tracks
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - The Promised Land
d1t03 - Brown Eyed Women
d1t04 - Me And Bobby McGee
d1t05 - Scarlet Begonias
d1t06 - Mexicali Blues
d1t07 - It Must Have Been The Roses
d1t08 - Me And My Uncle
d1t09 - Tennessee Jed
d1t10 - Greatest Story Ever Told
d1t11 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d1t12 - I Know You Rider
d2t01 - Around And Around
d2t02 - U.S. Blues
d2t03 - Big River
d2t04 - Ship Of Fools
d2t05 - Playing In The Band ->
d2t06 - Wharf Rat ->
d2t07 - Playing In The Band
d3t01 - Eyes Of The World
d3t02 - Sugar Magnolia
d3t03 - Casey Jones ->
d3t04 - One More Saturday Night
Iowa State Fairgrounds
Des Moines, IA
6/16/74 - Sunday
Per Andy Lemieux, the source of this is as follows:
Set 1: MSR>C>DAT>CD
Set 2 & 3: MSC>DAT>CD (except for patch in Wharf Rat which is MSR>?>DAT>CD)
DISC ONE [70:06]
01 [08:04] Bertha
02 [04:16] Mexicali Blues
03 [08:56] Row Jimmy
04 [05:53] Beat It On Down The Line
05 [09:22] Scarlet Begonias
06 [08:00] Black-Throated Wind
07 [08:39] Sugaree
08 [05:27] El Paso
09 [06:10] It Must Have Been The Roses
10 [05:14] Jack Straw
note: splice in Bertha at 4:05; splice in Sugaree at 2:25.
DISC TWO [56:49]
01 [10:24] China Cat Sunflower >
02 [05:39] I Know You Rider
03 [04:48] Around And Around
04 [06:35] U.S. Blues
05 [03:17] The Race Is On
06 [15:24] Eyes Of The World >
07 [05:01] Jam 1 >
08 [05:37] Big River
DISC THREE [59:03]
01 [29:19] Playing In The Band
02 [08:17] Tennessee Jed
03 [03:07] Me And My Uncle
04 [06:00] Deal
05 [06:11] Greatest Story Ever Told
06 [06:05] Ship Of Fools
DISC FOUR [46:22]
01 [07:11] Truckin' >
02 [05:15] Nobody's Fault But Mine Jam >
03 [04:03] Jam 2 >
04 [04:41] Jam 3 >
05 [09:43] Wharf Rat >
06 [08:14] Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
07 [07:14] Casey Jones
note: splice in Wharf Rat at 2:51
Based on Alan Fink's patched version:
...I used Steve Windsor's notes from his version:
...to verify and make the fixes myself.
I also made several additional fixes, including...
-- Removed two additional pops from Eyes Of The World at 14:35 and 15:10.
-- Patched the splice in Wharf Rat with MSR>?>DAT>CD. Even after patching,
it sounds like there may be a small chunk of material missing.
-- Removed four additional pops from GDTRFB at 6:41, 6:43, 6:45 and 6:47.
-- Patched the start of Casey Jones with alternate MSC>DAT>CD source.
-- Retracked each disc so that tuning follows songs at the end of tracks.
Kudos to Alan and Steve for their hard work.
Thanks to Andy for the patch material for Wharf Rat.
Sean Cribbs, 10/22/2004
20th June 1974 Sbd Clugston
no infi file
Audience Devotional Tree
Round 17 - March, 2003
Wednesday, June 26, 1974
Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI
AudMC > WAV > CD > EAC > SHN
Recorded by Jerry Moore near the rear of the floor, close to
center axis with Sony ECM-99 Stereo mic (on metal pole) > Sony
152 deck. Maxell UD-120 cassettes, with Dolby B ON.
Analog > Digital by David Minches January, 2003
Master Cassettes played back on Nak Dragon > ART DI/O > HD >
Cool Edit 2000 > Feurio (CD)
EAC & SHN by Noah Weiner February, 2003
EAC > MKW Audio Compression Toolkit (shn)
DISC ONE [52:29]
01 [02:36] crowd & tuning
02 [06:49] Big River
03 [05:54] Brown Eyed Women
04 [04:32] Beat It On Down The Line
05 [09:30] Scarlet Begonias
06 [09:38] Black Throated Wind
07 [10:11] Row Jimmy
08 [03:19] Mexicali Blues
DISC TWO [59:31]
01 [01:34] crowd & "technical malady time"
02 [06:10] Deal
03 [04:23] The Race Is On
04 [09:03] Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodeloo
05 [06:51] El Paso
06 [08:41] Ship Of Fools
07 [01:19] Weather Report Suite Prelude >
08 [04:25] Weather Report Suite Part One >
09 [11:05] Let It Grow >
10 [06:00] It Must Have Been The Roses
DISC THREE [54:55]
01 [22:17] Seastones
02 [02:05] crowd & tuning
03 [06:02] US Blues
04 [03:33] Me And My Uncle
05 [02:28] Jam >
06 [13:14] China Cat Sunflower >
07 [05:16] I Know You Rider
DISC FOUR [70:13]
01 [01:11] crowd & tuning
02 [01:06] Beer Barrel Polka tuning
03 [13:40] Truckin' >
04 [02:12] Other One Jam* >
05 [15:20] Spanish Jam** >
06 [09:53] Wharf Rat >
07 [13:56] Sugar Magnolia
08 [12:55] Eyes Of The World
*begins with brief Drums and Bass solo
**dissolves into long space jam
6/26/74 Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI
Source for disk 1: SBD>MR>C>DAT>CDR
Contributed by Skankweed
Source for discs 2,3: MSR > Reel > 4xDAT > CDR (HHB CDR-850) > SHN (EACx2)
Contributed by John Oleynick (previous d1 from this source had problems, was withdrawn)
---- Set 1 ----
1. Big River
2. Brown-Eyed Women
3. Beat It On Down the Line
4. Scarlet Begonias
5. Black-Throated Wind
6. Row Jimmy
7. Mexicali Blues
9. The Race Is On
10. Mississippi Halfstep
11. El Paso
12. Ship of Fools
---- Set 1 Continued ----
1. Weather Report Suite Prelude >
2. Weather Report Suite Part 1 >
2. Let It Grow >
3. It Must Have Been the Roses
---- Set 2 ----
4. // U.S. Blues
5. Me & My Uncle
6. Jam >
7. China Cat Sunflower >
8. I Know You Rider
---- Set 2 Continued ----
1. Beer Barrel Polka Tuning
2. Truckin' >
3. The Other One Jam >
4. Spanish Jam >
5. Wharf Rat >
6. Sugar Magnolia
---- Encore ----
7. Eyes of the World
Boston Garden, Boston, MA
June 28, 1974 - Set I
Source: SBD>MR>DAT>Sonic Solutions>CD>?>EAC>SHN
EAC'ed / SHN'ed by Tom Snider, Jr.
Thanks to Jeff Cook for sending me the cd audio of this fine first set.
01. Mississippi Half Step-> 7:29
02. It Must Have Been The Roses-> 4:59
03. Jack Straw 5:16
04. Beat It On Down The Line 3:24
05. "Gold Plated Reconing" 0:40
06. Deal 5:02
07. Mexicali Blues 3:21
08. Tennessee Jed 8:02
09. Me And Bobby McGee 5:30
10. "The Sound Of Time Passing" 1:58
01. Loose Lucy 5:02
12. El Paso 4:21
13. Sugaree 7:03
14. Around & Around 5:22
Total Play Time: 1:07:36
30th june 74
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
These are some of my favorite shows! Those two and 7-8-78 have a permanent residence in my cars passenger seat. (im kind of messy)
That is just too cool (figuratively *and* literally speaking, I guess).
You go, girl. Wish I had the balls to do something similar (don't think Alaska would be involved, though, I'm sick of ice and snow).
**************This space for rent*****************
A friend & co-worker who quit her job, sold her house, and moved to Alaska - because the time was right & it was what she wanted to do.
( I used to tease her by calling her "you lean" (instead of Ei Leen)
She left in late January, and should be arriving in Alaska sometime soon, I would think. - but then it's such a little car, with so much stuff... and such a long way to go all by herself - brave woman!
Grateful Dead - June 19, 1980
West High Auditorium - Anchorage, AK
d1t01 - Alabama Getaway ->
d1t02 - The Promised Land
d1t03 - They Love Each Other ->
d1t04 - El Paso
d1t05 - Tennessee Jed
d1t06 - Cassidy
d1t07 - Althea ->
d1t08 - Looks Like Rain
d1t09 - Far From Me
d1t10 - The Music Never Stopped
d2t01 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d2t02 - I Know You Rider ->
d2t03 - C C Rider
d2t04 - Peggy-O
d2t05 - Lost Sailor ->
d2t06 - Saint Of Circumstance ->
d2t07 - Drums ->
d2t08 - Space ->
d2t09 - Wharf Rat ->
d2t10 - I Need A Miracle ->
d2t11 - Bertha ->
d2t12 - Good Lovin'
d1t11 - U.S. Blues
6/20/80 - Grateful Dead
West High Auditorium
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - Jack Straw ->
d1t03 - Franklin's Tower ->
d1t04 - Mama Tried ->
d1t05 - Mexicali Blues
d1t06 - Friend Of The Devil
d1t07 - Let It Grow ->
d1t08 - Althea
d1t09 - Easy To Love You
d1t10 - Tuning
d2t01 - Lost Sailor ->
d2t02 - Saint Of Circumstance ->
d2t03 - Deal
d2t04 - Alabama Getaway ->
d2t05 - Greatest Story Ever Told
d2t06 - Ship Of Fools
d3t01 - Estimated Prophet ->
d3t02 - The Other One ->
d3t03 - Drums ->
d3t04 - Space ->
d3t05 - Not Fade Away ->
d3t06 - Black Peter ->
d3t07 - Around And Around ->
d3t08 - Johnny B. Goode
d3t09 - Don't Ease Me In
West High Auditorium
June 21, 1980
SBD + AUD Matrix Mix (60%-SBD/40%-AUD)
01 [14:48] Sugaree >
02 [07:49] Minglewood
03 [07:04] Candyman
04 [03:00] Me And My Uncle >
05 [06:07] Big River
06 [08:03] Loser
07 [03:37] Lazy Lightning >
08 [06:01] Supplication
09 [04:17] Far From Me
10 [07:55] Ramble on Rose
11 [08:38] Feel Like a Stranger
01 [04:36] Big Railroad Blues
02 [07:53] Samson & Delilah
03 [11:41] Terrapin Station >
04 [13:51] Playin' In The Band >
05 [07:51] Drums >
06 [04:13] Space >
07 [09:07] Truckin' >
08 [09:36] Stella Blue >
09 [09:09] Sugar Magnolia
10 [04:38] One More Saturday Night
11 [06:07] Brokedown Palace
**requires a 90 min CDR**
Our good friend and fellow viner Hippy signed up for a vine on another site and offered me the opportunity to help him put together a vine of the music here. I received 2 DVDs filled to the brim with killer shows from early '69, one of my favorite eras, and perhaps the greatest. Of course, there are the usual hiccups, cuts, fadouts, etc that must be expected from this era. But this is Grade A primal Dead. Thanks to Hippy for allowing me to help him.
I grade most of the shows here as A- SBDs, with the notable exception of 2/14, which I grade as a B SBD.
The vine will be 2 DVDs of the following shows in SHN/FLAC format: (Disc 1) 1/17, 1/24, 1/25, 1/26, 2/2, 2/4, 2/5, 2/6 and 2/7; and, (Disc 2) 2/12, 2/14, 2/15, 2/21, 2/22, and 3/15.
As always, please stay behind the line until your number is called (in other words, wait to sign up until our friend marye creates a forum for this offering). Enjoy!
I was going to cut back for awhile, but I cannot resist anything from 1976!! Thanks.
If I sign up early enough, I will de-flac these for those Viners still living in a flacless world.
"Let there be songs to fill the air."
Great, Im sure that you guys will like them. Ive actually had them ready to go for awhile. Just had to wait until things slowed down a little before I started it.
"You know the one thing we need is a left handed monkey wrench....."
...you should screw up more often! ;^)
(Those two '93 vines starting up together confused several people, and I can think of a few other cases of misaddressed vines just in the last month - and that's without involving confusing screennames)
They look to be killer shows, now I'll have to live by the computer all weekend to catch the signup list early. gotta hate that!
**************This space for rent*****************
Trevor! A nice Betty Board and Charlie Choice. I'll look to sign up for these when Marye's ready to out these out. Thanks!
"when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door"