New Vines 2009
With collaboration from various kind folks in the Dead.net vining community, our own erickat prepared this handy guide explaining how vining works hereabouts. Many thanks to all involved, and vine on! --
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
(We're changing some things for 2009)
BACKGROUND: The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows,and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Make sure you can deal with the media format. Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowledgeable and capable of copying audio CD's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you at least need the capability of reading a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats. Help is readily available - just ask. Here are some helpful links:
VINE: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
VINEYARD: A topic within Dead.net (where all the vine forums exist) SEEDER: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media) PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net SIGNUP LIST: The list of people who sign up to receive the package. Note - Be careful to get the most up to date version - you may have to go back a few pages from the end to find it.
POSTING: The act of leaving a message in a forum (very important) Post to sign-up Post when a vine arrives ; Post after a vine is sent.
New VINE Process (changes for 2009):
1. Check the Vinedex (updated from time to time, but may be out of date) to make sure it hasn't already been vined. Note - not everything is fair game for vining. Check the following before vining anything:
a) The Vinedex
b) Dicks Picks
If it's not in those places, it is generally fair game. No copyrighted material, please Taper friendly bands only. (Marye may veto a particular vine for copyright or similar reasons.)
2. Post your vine info here (without signup list) - maybe include a note reminding people not to sign-up until it has its own topic.
3. Marye creates a forum topic with the vine info & a blank sign-up list and posts a link in the new vines area (e.g. VINE XXXX Lives HERE - with a link)
4. Then people go to that vine & start signing up NOTE - to make it easier on Marye, you could also PM her with the info. No early sign-ups - Any sign-ups before the vine has its own home will be ignored
SIGNING UP FOR A VINE:
1. Find a VINE you want to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete LIST (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person directly before you with your name & mailing address. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea) (it can take a long time between when you sign up and when it arrives, so you really need to track what you're on the hook for & when to expect it- it's a responsibility)
5. Check your PM inbox and the vines you've signed up for periodically, so you know if someone is looking for you AND so you know when to expect each vine's arrival. Remember, if someone posts that they sent it to you & that's the last we know... it will look like you were the one that dropped the ball. If you don't receive a vine when you thought it was coming, then Post
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Take care of the media - don't scratch 'em or crack 'em or put your fingerprints all over them - clean media means a longer lived vine
8. Make a copy for yourself & mail the ORIGINALS to the next person on the list.(If the person directly behind you on the list hasn't sent you their address, PM them. If no response after 3 or 4 days, PM the next in line - but post to the vine so people know)
9. Please make sure to properly package and address the media before mailing it. We have had some unfortunate losses, due to bad addresses, packages falling apart and just plain lost in the mail. Padded envelopes are cheap - and make sure they're securely taped & properly addressed.
10. AFTER you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person on the list. It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Post messages to the vine upon receipt and again, after you have sent it on.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, PM them. If no response, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they don't, PM the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing. This is very important. It's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on. It can't be overstated how important POSTING is - just knowing what is going on will prevent speculation, accusations & hard feelings.
CAVEAT EMPTOR As a friend of mine always says ... "don't sweat the small stuff" - "and by the way - it's all small stuff."
Life happens - car accidents, arrests, people get sick - people abscond - but you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free. Sometimes vines disappear - and many times, they are revived or re-seeded by kind folk. This is the most unrestrictive & trusting vine community I know of - and the reason we emphasize posting is so we can keep the music flowing - not to accuse or condemn. If we know a vine is lost, then someone can re-seed and keep the music going. Nobody should get upset or make personal attacks over what happens here. In the past, we've had all sorts of reasons why people just disappear - and when they came back, we were overjoyed that they did. Sometimes, if a person is known to be unreliable, their name will be removed from the vine lists - but that's a rare occurrence.
with the new systme in order I find myself wanting to keep coming back to see if the new vine has a home yet .. can i sing up yet can i sing up yet .. Nope Marye has`nt got to it yet .. makes it more interesting and diferent for sure .. the anticipation is killing me .. LOL .. I`m patient and i do like the new systme ..
Looks like Binghamton 5/2/70 is Dick's Picks volume 8 sorry
Any one have this or able to vine this?? I am wanting to get a hold of this show.
I will. "Let there be songs to fill the air."
Here's the link to the repatriation vine. PM Estim8ed with your mailing address & sign up at the link below
This vine has both the early & late shows for 10/31/70. Viola Lee is on the Early show.
You will need to be able to read DVD & convert from FLAC to WAV
I have been dying to get 10/31/70 Stony Brook. I think there were two shows that date, but I NEED the one with the LAST Viola Lee Blues. Being the good soldier that I am, I looked in the Vindex and noticed that the Repatriation Vine had at least one of the shows in the vine. Two problems: One, I cant tell which of the two 10/31 shows was included. Two, the vine seems to have been taken out of circulation due to "overhandling." Can we re-vine it? How about a "Last Time Performed" Vine that includes this show and maybe two or three others where classic stuff was "retired.' Revivals by Phil, Ratdog, Other Ones, the Dead don't count as "unretiring." For example when was the last time they played The Eleven? Or was it revived? Obviously, there are a number of Pigpen songs that would fit the bill. What do you guys think?
Thanks for listening.
"Let there be songs to fill the air."
Sorry - next time, I'll do the space calculation ahead of time.
I'm going to add 3/29/84 to this vine... so it's Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA 04/13/84 Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA 04/14/84 City Island - Harrisburg, PA 06/23/84 San Rafael, CA 03/29/84
On a DVD +R
Grateful Dead - March 29, 1984 Marin Veterans Memorial Auditorium San Rafael, CA
Recording Info: SBD -> Cassette Master -> Cassette (Maxell XLIIS-90)
Transfer Info: Cassette (Sony TC-WE475) -> Sony R500 (Pass Through) -> SEK'D Prodif Plus -> Samplitude Professional v8.01 -> FLAC (2 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)
Transferred and Edited By Charlie Miller firstname.lastname@example.org February 22, 2006 Patch Info: Tape flip in Eyes Of The World patched with Sony ECM-939LT stereo mics(x2) > Cass Master > Sound Forge > CD Notes: -- Thanks to Paul Scotton and Joani Walker for the Cassettes. -- Seamless transition between discs. Set 1: d1t01 - Walking The Dog d1t02 - Bertha -> d1t03 - The Promised Land d1t04 - It Must Have Been The Roses d1t05 - Little Red Rooster d1t06 - Bird Song d1t07 - My Brother Esau d1t08 - Might As Well Set 2: d1t09 - Tuning d1t10 - Shakedown Street d2t01 - Tuning d2t02 - Estimated Prophet -> d2t03 - Eyes Of The World -> d2t04 - Drums -> d2t05 - Space -> d2t06 - Spanish Jam -> d2t07 - The Other One -> d2t08 - Wharf Rat -> d2t09 - Sugar Magnolia Encore: d2t10 - Keep Your Day Job
The "Hampton April 84" vine will be
Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA 04/13/84 & 04/14/84 City Island - Harrisburg, PA 6/23/84
On a DVD - Hampton in Flac, City Island in SHN
You may want to come up with a more creative name like Hampton & Harrisburg 84 or something
This will be a DVD vine - the two hampton shows, the city island show,
6/23/84 - Grateful Dead City Island - Harrisburg, PA
Recording Info: (FOB) Senn 441 -> PCM -> Dat .. Set 1: d1t01 - Alabama Getaway -> d1t02 - Promised Land d1t03 - Peggy-O d1t04 - Little Red Rooster d1t05 - Brown Eyed Women d1t06 - My Brother Esau d1t07 - Big Railroad Blues d1t08 - The Music Never Stopped -> d1t09 - Don't Ease Me In
Set 2: d1t10 - Touch Of Grey d2t01 - Estimated Prophet -> d2t02 - Eyes Of The World -> d2t03 - Drums -> d2t04 - Space -> d2t05 - Truckin' -> d2t06 - Spoonful Jam -> d2t07 - Black Peter -> d2t08 - Around And Around -> d2t09 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad -> d2t10 - One More Saturday Night d2t11 - (Encore) Day Job
Grateful Dead - 4/13/84 Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
Set 1: d1t01 - Keep Your Day Job -> d1t02 - New Minglewood Blues d1t03 - Dire Wolf d1t04 - Beat It On Down The Line -> d1t05 - West L.A. Fadeaway d1t06 - It's All Over Now d1t07 - Bird Song d1t08 - Hell In A Bucket -> d1t09 - Don't Ease Me In
Set 2: d2t01 - Scarlet Begonias -> d2t02 - Fire On The Mountain d2t03 - Estimated Prophet -> d2t04 - Drums -> d3t01 - Space -> d3t02 - The Wheel -> d3t03 - Truckin' -> d3t04 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad -> d3t05 - Around And Around -> d3t06 - Good Lovin'
Encore: d3t07 - U.S. Blues
Grateful Dead - April 14, 1984 Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
Set 1: d1t01 - Feel Like A Stranger d1t02 - They Love Each Other d1t03 - C.C. Rider d1t04 - Brown Eyed Women d1t05 - My Brother Esau d1t06 - Tennessee Jed d1t07 - Let It Grow
Set 2: d1t08 - Touch Of Grey d2t01 - Playin' In The Band -> d2t02 - Terrapin Station -> d2t03 - Playin' Jam -> d2t04 - I Don't Need Love -> d2t05 - Drums -> d2t06 - Space -> d2t07 - Morning Dew -> d2t08 - One More Saturday Night Tease -> d2t09 - Throwing Stones -> d2t10 - One More Saturday Night
Encore: d2t11 - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue