but at times like these, when you are trying to get tickets, I HATE them. Waiting online for 2 hrs, finally get into the ticket area, go to my venue, trying to get 2 tix, try EVERY single seating option, and ... nothing. That's great. Good job, Rhino and the Dead, selling out to the scalpers and the tour package assholes! I won't mention that the price for floor seats was the same for nosebleeds. Equality for all. Must make the nosebleed people feel good knowing the floor seaters paid the same price. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
erickat - I think you pretty much have it here, with your further suggestions and those of pomo 1, I think we are there. MarkintheDark - do you want to put it all together now or should I or should we just encourage erikat to finish the fine job he has started here?
If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.
There is a lot of stuff here to read. I don't have time to read it all. I take it the status quo is still in effect. I am not aware of any changes yet, right? Lots of opinions (including mine) but no decisions yet; I thought I would check before posting a new vine soon.
hey guys, I just noticed that there were 311 members on line and 1089 guests. Obviously they are waiting to buy tickets, but I didn't even know we had that many members! Usually, there between 10 and 20 members online at any given time.
I am so old-fashioned, I sent away for my tickets to GDTS. I hope to see some of you guys on the tour.
Maybe some of these people will stick around and add to the vining scene.
"Let there be songs to fill the air."
Well done, Erickat.
1) perhaps in procedure #4 it would be better to say PM the person "directly before you", instead of "in front of you."
2) Add a caveat about not signing up until the vine has its own topic.
"Let there be songs to fill the air."
To whoever ultimately puts the final version together.
1. clarify #1 under troubleshooting to say -pm the person after you first & wait an appropriate time before moving on to the next person.
2. clarify under "Responsibility" about timeliness & paying attention & the importance of posting on the vines.
3. Add some more verbiage at the end about stuff happening & not taking it personally & not making negative personal comments when things go wrong.
I would prefer that we check with the person after us if they haven't sent us theirs. Sometimes I just misplace addressess. We have a pretty small group here, sometimes we also might be sure someone has our address and they don't.
I sent this off as a draft to a couple of folks, but then thought, maybe a wider audience for wordsmithing migh be good (or not) - either way, here it is.
This is just off the top of my head, and in text format, since we don't have many tools at our disposal here..... I did this in notepad & copied it here, so it may not look so good, word-wrap-wise.
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows, and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowlegable and capable of copying audio cd's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you need the capability of copying a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats Flac Format - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Lossless_Audio_Codec
SHN Format - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorten
Vine: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
Seeder: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media)
PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net
Signup List: The list of people who sign up to receive the package.
1. Notice a vine that you would like to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete list (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person in front of you with your real name & mailing address.
5. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea)
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Make a copy for yourself & mail the originals to the next person on the list.
8. After you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person.
It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Posting messages to the vine when you receive a vine and again, after you have sent it to the next person, is critical.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they dont, pm the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing - this is very important. it's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on.
It can't be overstated how important this is - just knowing will prevent speculation & accusations.
However, life happens - and you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free.
I will abide by whatever you all decide. I do think that waiting is the best thing to do.
This will be in the mail to Ark tommorow. He signed up before you guys decided that we wernt going to sign up for vines in this section anymore, so heres the list but you guys can ignore it if you want.
"You know the one thing we need is a left handed monkey wrench....."