Grateful Dead

1296 replies [Last post]

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Gr8fulTed's picture
16 years ago today Jerry passed away

" anyday now, I shall be released..."

http://www.dead.net/forum/deadheads-europe

Good forum for you folks on the other side of the pond: hope things settle down over in London.

TigerLilly's picture
Awesome CB!

The Gospel according to Frank!
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

cosmicbadger's picture
Frank Zappa says it all

Wednesday I watched the riot . . .
Seen the cops out on the street
Watched 'em throwin' rocks and stuff
And chokin' in the heat
Listened to reports
About the whisky passin' 'round
Seen the smoke and fire
And the market burnin' down
Watched while everybody
On his street would take a turn
To stomp and smash and bash and crash
And slash and bust and burn

jonapi (not verified)
hope and pray

Yes, a lot of it is about pent up frustration; and unfortunately and rather sadly, it's nothing to do with the current situation, i believe.
It does seem that the vast majority of young teenagers causing the damage are mainly black. I feel this is down to a whole host of factors; incredibly poor relations between the police and the community; the obvious issues of high unemployment and the searing lack of youth orientated projects and aspirations. Plus, and i do believe this is a major factor in all black related crime, a really sad lack of father figures. I have seen this born out in many documentaries, completely unrelated to this point; programmes about disabled children, inner city buildings, a whole shed-load of topics. And, may i point out, that we are all to blame here as, being human each and every one of us, we all have a responsibility to help and encourage others; but it seems that among the poor black population in London and other grim concrete cities, the desertion of fathers seems to be commonplace. I have absolutely no idea why it is more pronounced in this particular community, but it is a factor that everyone must acknowledge.
Which is odd as, although London and England in general has had it's fair share of racial problems and divides, black culture is, in my opinion, at all time high; music, fashion, vocabulary. It's a lot more positive as far as i can see than at any other point in history.
And yet, so many kids are without a family unit. And it's always the men leaving of course, never the women; if you have to work to put food on the table and pay the rent and you work two, sometimes three jobs, you are not necessarily there in the evening to check on what your children are doing.

Unfortunately, i am running out of time here so will have to continue this tomorrow. But lastly, one of the most disappointing things being "reported" is the eyebrows raised at social networks like Twitter and Blackberry communications etc.; the ease and speed at which people can communicate meeting places and ideas and be one step ahead of the police.
If it was a terrorist attack or another appalling catastrophe that occurred they would be praising it for allowing people to warn others of dangers and the emergency services being able to respond quicker. Can't have it both ways guys.

Let's hope tonight is a quiet one as it's just down the road from me and all i can hear outside my window is police sirens.

TigerLilly's picture
indeed marye

I am also absolutely outraged at the state of the economy, and how in the States the politicians would rather squabble amongst themselves and point fingers than actually DO something. The entire world is riding on whether America stays financially viable or not, and that is a responsibility that the current govt. seems to not give a sh$& about. Even China is cautioning the US to deal with their debt problem-seems almost like science fiction to me. Could you imagine that 30 years ago?
Oscar Wilde

marye's picture
really

I was just reading in the paper about how some fools burned down a store that's been in Croydon for 8 generations and how the 80-year-old owner is devastated. How is this helping? How is this about "justice"? I used to have a pen pal in Croydon when I was a kid...

Of course, we do seem to get government by tantrum-throwing 5-year-olds, so maybe what goes around comes around. S&P says it lowers the US credit rating not so much because of the economy but because the stupid politicians are squabbling instead of solving the problems, and what do the politicians do in response? Squabble even more! Even my neighbors on the street are in disbelief at this point.

johnman's picture
Rage usually ignores that fact

...unfortunately..

TigerLilly's picture
jonapi

do you think it's about long bottled up social unrest and discontent? I am trying to understand, but failing miserably, because as you said normal people's livelihoods and safety are in danger, and I can find no explanation for rage that ignores that fact.
Oscar Wilde

jonapi (not verified)
Jerry who?...

Yep, a sad day in many ways.
Gonna hit me with some 06/21/1989 Shoreline Smiles until it all goes away.

Unfortunately, i feel that peace and sanity is a long way off yet; shops and businesses around me closing early in anticipation.
Why wreck the livelihoods and homes of people who are also poor, misrepresented and struggling to make ends meet? The Lord only knows.

johnman's picture
Quick and momentary change of subject...

MISS YOU, JERRY!!!!!!!!

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind: Still More Current Events