Grateful Dead

1296 replies [Last post]

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
TigerLilly's picture
Angus London Update

He was just posting about a woman having to jump from the window of her flat, into the arms of riot police, as the shop underneath her home was torched by an arsonist. He was pointing out that many of these shops have people living above them. Here's hoping that peace and sanity returns there NOW!!!!!
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

jonapi (not verified)
apologies!!

Just noticed a horrendous mistake in an earlier post i made regarding the riots in London.
The family of the victim CONDEMNED the looting and rioting NOT condoned!!! My brain was full of a rather gorgeous red wine from Chile, soft and mellow with sweet tannins; a Cabernet Sauvignon positing gentle balm that i mistyped. What a dreadful faux pas.
My sincere apologies to the family involved and anyone else who read it and took as fact.

gratefaldean's picture
Jeez folks

I go away for a few days and all INTERESTING breaks out. I think that I'm past the point of coherent comment, but wow!

Did our avatars all disappear, or is it just this computer?

marye's picture
well

let us know when you're passing through, should be quite a gathering!

I've only driven by Rudy's because my neighborhood place is Mama's, which is decades older and where in fact those guys (along with many other musicians) were known to have breakfast after late-night gigs, and is possibly something of a cultural ancestor. Back in the '80s we used to have gatherings there when folks were in town for the Kaiser shows. That was a lot of bacon and eggs...

Looking forward to Rudy's variation on the theme; every time I go by there they seem to be doing quite a good business.

jonapi (not verified)
you do recall correctly, you do!

Yes, that's correct; the bass player is behind it along with a couple others.
Judging from the pictures, looks like a nice little place; unbelievable sized portions of food!!!
Can't wait to visit Mark in Oakland on our way to relocating to Japan. Not long now!!!!!!! He better be serving up some free coffee and lunch that's all i can say ha! ha!!

marye's picture
hm

maybe next time we all converge in the Bay Area we should head for Rudy's.

marye's picture
Rudy's

is a famous local institution and about to open a branch walking distance from my house, so I'll be sure to check it out. If I recall correctly, there's some connection with one of the Green Day guys also, but my memory is vague on that point.

marye's picture
Very cool re Billy and the fish!

Well done!!!

As for Tottenham, sounds very like what we had in Oakland, with a lot of out-of-town opportunists seizing the moment for public tantrum-throwing, window-smashing, and stealing of expensive sneakers and consumer electronics while wrapping themselves in the flag of "justice." Strangely darn few of those arrested in our version of this were local... My condolences to all caught up in the craziness.

jonapi (not verified)
neither trouble nor current but...

Marye -

I'm sure you've seen this before but i've just watching gain for old time's sake, and seeing as though you mentioned Oakland thought i'd send you this classic link to an Evening Magazine - KPIX feature on the Dead playing the Oakland Coliseum in '87 with Dylan - http://www.livestream.com/davidaron/video?clipId=pla_6776336536446748746

Couple of classic one liners in it! The reporter stating that the Grateful Dead started as a band called The Warlocks playing bluegrass music is a real doozy along with a typically quotable Bill Graham interview!!

By the way, if you're based in Oakland check out the Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe; my best buddy Mark is now the Assistant Manager. Classic Scottish Deadhead who used to run the Last Lemming restaurant in Antigua; good friends with Charles Hambleton, associate producer for the film The Cove. If you ever go, tell him Avant Lard sent you ha! ha!!

jonapi (not verified)
Fishy Fighting

General resentment mixed with the usual amounts of idiocy i guess. The family of the victim have condoned this stupid behaviour so hopefully the media will drop any coverage so as not to give them any more attention. Highly unlikely but...
Interviews with teenagers in Tottenham said that the people looting were not from the area; most of them they'd never seen before so it's just fools from outside causing trouble because they can get away with it.
I heard complaints commission officers were on the scene of the shooting almost immediately; not sure whether thats a change in police policy but others have commented that thats mighty strange to be there so quickly. Practically unheard of. We shall see. Injustice awaits no doubt.

On a much more positive note, for those of you either based in the UK or able to access 4Player online, at 9.00pm GMT, tonight, Channel 4, there is an update on the Fish Fight campaign that the chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall instigated. This is a campaign that highlights the throwing overboard of dead fish that fishermen have caught due to the illegality of landing stock over their quota.
I emailed Laura Christine, the wonderful webmaster of Bill Kreutzmann's site after the first programmes were aired and she passed on the news to him about the issue. The result? The very next day he asked her to add the campaign site to the links section of his website!!

How cool is Bill Kreutzmann? Cooler than a fridge in the Arctic.

Due to the large amount of subscribers to the site and petitioners, the EU Fisheries Commission agreed to change the policy.
Interested parties can check out the Fish Fight campaign here - http://www.fishfight.net/

And speaking of arctic temperatures, i heard that the boy, Horatio Chapple, tragically killed by a polar bear in Norway was named after Horatio Nelson; who was also attacked by a polar bear in that very same region.
Unbelievable.

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind: Still More Current Events