Grateful Dead

1296 replies [Last post]

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
jonapi (not verified)
keep it futile

Well that's all very well lamagonzo, but just what DID happen with the judges on American X-Factor?................

lamagonzo (not verified)
As long as...

...the dollar remains the world's "reserve" currency the bond market (and the sky) won't fail on America -- for lack of another place to go.

However, if China free floats it's currency, after bailing out the European Union (Greece, Spain, Portugal, other weaklings) and IT becomes the world's reserve currency then watch out!

America will end up being a very dangerous, quasi-broke bully. Could it be true what they say about the US? We are the barbarians and they are the true cultural elite -- as they destroy the planet totally with coal-fired power plants....?

Gr8fulTed's picture
and while your at it, Mr. President...

... show some effective leadership by getting Congress to agree on raising the debt limit, thus avoiding an 11th hour debt ceiling nail-biter, the inability to pay our obligations, and triggering almost certain stock market havoc.
(See deficit reduction info in previous post)

mountainjam28's picture
Agreed 100%

Great letter, very well written.

lamagonzo (not verified)
An open letter to Ptesident Obama

Dear Mr. President,

This is a pivotal moment in the history of our country. Decisions are being made about the national budget that will impact the lives of virtually every American for decades to come. As we address the issue of deficit reduction we must not ignore the painful economic reality of today - which is that the wealthiest people in our country and the largest corporations are doing phenomenally well while the middle class is collapsing and poverty is increasing. In fact, the United States today has, by far, the most unequal distribution of wealth and income of any major country on earth.

Everyone understands that over the long-term we have got to reduce the deficit - a deficit that was caused mainly by Wall Street greed, tax breaks for the rich, two wars, and a prescription drug program written by the drug and insurance companies. It is absolutely imperative, however, that as we go forward with deficit reduction we completely reject the Republican approach that demands savage cuts in desperately-needed programs for working families, the elderly, the sick, our children and the poor, while not asking the wealthiest among us to contribute one penny.

Mr. President, please listen to the overwhelming majority of the American people who believe that deficit reduction must be about shared sacrifice. The wealthiest Americans and the most profitable corporations in this country must pay their fair share. At least 50 percent of any deficit reduction package must come from revenue raised by ending tax breaks for the wealthy and eliminating tax loopholes that benefit large, profitable corporations and Wall Street financial institutions. A sensible deficit reduction package must also include significant cuts to unnecessary and wasteful Pentagon spending.

Please do not yield to outrageous Republican demands that would greatly increase suffering for the weakest and most vulnerable members of our society. Now is the time to stand with the tens of millions of Americans who are struggling to survive economically, not with the millionaires and billionaires who have never had it so good.

Respectfully,

Sen. Bernie Sanders;
and Co-signers

Yo, sign the petition, go to Sen. Bernie Sander's website and select newsletter.

jonapi (not verified)
Don't you DARE keep it to

Don't you DARE keep it to yourself!!!!! Ha ha!!!
Thats what everyone's here for right? To express themselves. It's a pleasure to correspond with you, TigerLilly.
I have WAY too much respect for the Grateful Dead, the Deadheads and the Forum to use words that offend people. Never knowingly, mind you. My sincere apologies. I only used it for a lil' punctuation.

I will check that link you mentioned, many thanks. And i'll certainly PM you with some artistic websites, probably tomorrow.
Please tell her NEVER to stop creating art. Whether it becomes a "way of life" or a career matters not one jot. Its the expressiveness that counts. Money be damned!

Till tomorrow everyone; i have homemade soup, bread and strawberry sorbet to imbibe. That and Wimbledon Tennis.
Remember everyone:
Support Bacteria!
It's the closest to culture some people will ever get....

Aren't i are clever little fella? Er, no, not really......

jonapi (not verified)
"Anniversary present? I'd recommend hoover bags..."

Oh, and lamagonzo?
Thanks a lot for those kind words, buddy! Mucho appreciarté!

I know i went off on a bit of a rant; usually i just turn a blind eye and concentrate on my immediate surroundings. We need to think "local" (not you, Tubbs and Edward Tattsyrup...); i do believe that this, in the long run, WILL be of more benefit to humankind.
Over-reaching can dilute the message of effectiveness. The vortex awaits....
Education by example; a pure altruism. Never imposing, just a heartfelt expression. A sense of community and respect for one's neighbours.
Organic? How sad that we should name a "movement", a "lifestyle" after our grandparents' normal day-to-day culinary existence. No fridges at my Grandma and Grandad's house; the word is: "Larder"!!!!! My parent's too. Freezers? Unheard of. Butter wrapped in paper, milk delivered, meat and fish fresh at the local counter. Vegetables grown or purchased the morning as picked. Makes me want to cry.
Too much choice is murder. And i'm only 39. I shudder to think what others can tell.

So, a tip of the "Okocim", lamagonzo. (a cheeky little Polish brew).
I did respond to your comments in the "Going Furthur" post, not Blair's, this one - http://www.dead.net/forum/going-furthur

Again, i indulged in a major tangent that, if i was you, decided that a "life's too short" approach was the only sane option.
But i tried my best.
Thanks, man.

TigerLilly's picture
LOL

sorry too if I was being cranky! For obvious reasons ;) that is the only curse word that I find too vulgar for use. But that is only my personal opinion, and should perhaps be kept to myself.

Thank you for the tips on artists that my little one might like (who has gotten SO much better, btw) that now she has her on art page on FaceBook-with tons of cool stuff: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/ImiArt
and even has people wanting to buy prints. That page is open, so even if you don't have FB, I think you could see it. I will look up and show her the artists that you mentioned. Thus far she is the most influenced by fantasy artists, especially from a series of books called Warrior Cats.

But KEEP on enthusing, otherwise-so much being reflected today has been alot of fun!

And sure-pm me any further thoughts you wish!
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

jonapi (not verified)
that harvest will SURELY come

I know, I know, just my impish English humour manifesting itself!!! My apologies for any offense.

Just recently been reading the Dalai Lama's autobiography and watching a variety of news broadcasts at 5.30am before work, so my patience levels are at an all time low regarding the appalling conduct of our fellow human beings (and i'm being generous here; i'm sure some ARE a different species).
Forgot that that word isn't so widely used in the US; but weird that i got away with a couple shits and a few fuckings. Odd.

Changing the subject, i just viewed your daughter's picture on your profile - "Breezy's Gizmo". No need to mention that "keep in mind that the artist is only 12"; i thought it showed a whole heap of promise and captured a wonderfully innocent portrait of an obviously adored canine companion.
Does she know of the artist Louis Wain, who drew incredibly illuminated, abstracted pictures of cats. There is such a life-force in his pictures. Unfortunately, he suffered from terrible mental illness and schizophrenia, in fact some of artwork was considered "unworthy" (whatever that means) of critical acclaim.
Personally, his pictures are full of the pure joy-like wonder that children carry. My nephews are the same; sometimes producing astonishing work that goes way beyond these embarrassing wastes-of-space we call "critics" (i think i'm going to be sick, please excuse me).
Comparable to the beauty of Denardo Coleman's drumming with Ornette Coleman's quartets. Not affected by "thought"; just pure intuition; a spontaneous outpouring of that sparkling effervescence we call Soul. Intense and innate.

I'd also suggest Pablo Amaringo - http://www.pabloamaringo.com/
My nieces and nephews and their friends just love his work; a former Ayuhuasca Shaman turned painter. Simply beautiful.

Sorry everyone, i know this is nothing to do with politics (or maybe it IS in a roundabout way; go figure). Probably should've messaged you direct about this, TigerLilly!!
It's just a balmy afternoon for once here in London, down the road from Wimbledon Tennis. And i'm getting carried away with enthusiasm.

TigerLilly's picture
no, not China

what you called the Japanese Minister
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind: Still More Current Events