• 80 replies
    marye
    What are you listening to? What should we be listening to? Share here, in the latest version of this beloved thread.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • gemini mike
    Default Avatar

Michael Zanabili, Moody Road CD... best cut is No. 2, "Out in the Rain"... A 7 minute cut you can put on repeat and explore a peaceful guitar for hours. You can find this CD in the cut-outs sometime.

• daverock

I bought one of those about two years ago. Although it sounded superb, discs started skipping, or registering as "empty disc" on the display screen after about a year. The shop took it back for repairs, but it still didn't work properly. Eventually they replaced it with one that had been in the shop on display. So far so good. I clean it every week, and occasionally a disc won't play, and I have to take it out and re-slot it before it will play. I have noticed also that if I go to a track in the middle of the cd, it starts about a second into the track. Strange that such good player should be so flawed. I wondered if it was anything to do with the fact that the part where you place the cd is positioned on top of the player, rather than on the side, and that as a result, it collects more dust.
    It sounds amazing though, to my ears. I just keep expecting it to break down all the time.

• Crow Told Me

Since somebody brought up CD players, here's something I've been meaning to mention:

Earlier this year, I finally bought a new player. I'd been using my Rega for god knows how long, 15 years at least. It always sounded good, but I started having a lot of problems with discs skipping. I tried the usual trick--opening it up and cleaning off the lens--which helped but didn't solve the problem. I even took it to a repair shop to see if they could do anything. They kept it for a month, gave it a trial, said it didn't skip when they played it, and charged me $89 for a cleaning, which I'd already done! Anyway, at some point I decided I should just bite the bullet and get a new player.

So I got a Marantz CD 6007, mainly because there were numerous reviews saying it was the best player you could get for under a grand. It weren't cheap, but I would have to say it has the best sound of any player I've owned, and I've had some pretty good ones (Arcam, NAD, Rega Saturn). It also has a port that makes it easy to play FLAC files from a flash drive, which is occasionally useful. Just thought I'd mention this, since lots of people seem interested in audio quality.

And yeah, that PNX box just gets better every time I play it. I thought the packaging was beautiful, a work of art in itself, but I have to confess I pulled the CDs out, put 'em on the shelf, and put the outer box in the attic of my life. It's just so bulky it's hard to find space for it around here.

It's looking like Thursday I will have the opportunity to ditch work and take a hike out on the Marin coast. I pretty always play Dead when I'm tooling around out there. The whole area--Lagunitas, Nicasio Valley, Bolinas, even Novato--just reeks of GD history, and the music just seems to bubble up out of the hills. I think I'll but the Seattle '74 show in the player and see if I can time the edibles to kick in during that 45 minute PITB.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Music is well said to be the speech of angels.....

Right now I'm listening to 5/23/72 while I work on autopsy reports............

At low volume, of course...........

Rock on,

Doc
    Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness......

• wilfredtjones

Playing Rush - Tom Sawyer

Google it, you won't be disappointed...

• Mathyug

Coldplay - A sky full of stars is taken from the album Ghost Stories

• freerman
    Default Avatar

Thank you for giving a list of great songs to listen to!

• nikolsong
    Default Avatar

Boris Brejcha - I Am The Joker (Original Mix)

https://dailyvs.club/watch/3SBV3ojabVG5OHe

I enjoy that one right now. :)

• steph lima

I am listening to Eminem Ft Rihanna <3
    https://www.dynamp3.com/telecharger-mp3/eminem-rihanna.html

• slo lettuce
    Sandra Monica
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
What are you listening to? What should we be listening to? Share here, in the latest version of this beloved thread.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

VOLUME SEVEN THANK YOU JERRY!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

To get in the mood for the next box set, I thought I'd dust off these disks. 73 was a great year for them! Peace, -Dave
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

yesterdays children s/t 1970 dual leads, heavy wah wah, 4 killers originals fever tree live jan 69, awesome heavy organ and wah wah guitar t.i.m.e. smooth ball 69. great guitar pysch the churls s/t 1969 killer debut all original sounds like 69 stones but heavier mc5 assorted live shows from 68 to 72 steppenwolf s/t japan shm cd
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

"Right Now" I am listening to the Violin Concerto #5 in A Major. Trying to destress. Hard times at the office these days.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Laura Veirs Seven Falls
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

just got the 3 cd hunger. its the lp, test pressing and a disc of related material. its called hunger, strictly from hunger. great organ guitar rock pysch from 68.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have been collecting cassettes since 1977,I'm now 53 and 32 days old, used to record off radio,Kpfa,Kfog,KRQR,KOME and hearts of space and musical star streams in the 1980's,as well as the chill room here in Sonoma county were I lived since 1988,origionally from Sunnyvale both in California,my latest find was at Last Record Store in Santa Rosa,it is a Charlie Parkers Cassette with a little interview of him :)Called Charlie Parker "Choice Bird On JazzBird Label Jaz~2008 haven't heard it yet but must be good,Love good JaZZ as well, some old Relixs cassette that used to be in our Deads Relixs mag, Tangerine Dream,and a huge range of other cool stuff, mostly obscure.I could send you a few if your interested,Be Well Smitty1111
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

13 Rivers, new album. My favorite singer/songwriter/guitarist of all time not name Jerry Garicia. I got a notification that I hadn't logged in to this site for 5 years. Wow, really? Used to be here a lot, but I guess that changed!
user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

I am fortunate to have purchased the newest box set (fist collection like this from GD I have ever purchased). I was attracted by the art. A love of Northwest people's art iconography culture spiritual message... the first show is beautiful. Thanks GD for this project. Uplifting music excellent sound. I am considering purchasing an Emotiva CD player that decodes HDCDs because this music is so special. Peace, brothers and sisters.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I am listening to this box set of Bob Dylans gospel songs from 1979-1981. The songs are all fairly new to me, and they are holding my attention, inclining me to to play each disc in turn, then start again from the beginning. Great band, too.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

I have listened to the three '73 shows and will hold off on '74 for a week or so. I mentioned to someone that the sonics seem to improve with every release - this sounds fantastic! The only criticism is that the Portland show starts off a little lacklustre, as though either the drugs hadn't kicked in yet, or that they were maybe the wrong drugs. And a side note: this set really deserves to win awards for the packaging - absolutely stellar!
user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

Same here. I was worried about spending so much $$$ for the PNW Box Set. Then it arrived, and I now know it was worth every cent! The sound quality (uplifting is right!), amazing art work and liner notes are outstanding. To your point about an Emotiva CD player - what is that? I'm interested in maximizing the sound, by any means possible.....
user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

I like Elton John, however, in my country he's rather unpopular, if you understand what I mean.. The Yellow Brick Road - ones of ma favorites. Fally Ipupa, Zahara, Hugh Masekela - these are ones that are in car's playlist
user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

Coldplay - A sky full of stars is taken from the album Ghost Stories

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Playing Rush - Tom Sawyer

Google it, you won't be disappointed...

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Right now I'm listening to 5/23/72 while I work on autopsy reports............

At low volume, of course...........

Rock on,

Doc
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness......

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Since somebody brought up CD players, here's something I've been meaning to mention:

Earlier this year, I finally bought a new player. I'd been using my Rega for god knows how long, 15 years at least. It always sounded good, but I started having a lot of problems with discs skipping. I tried the usual trick--opening it up and cleaning off the lens--which helped but didn't solve the problem. I even took it to a repair shop to see if they could do anything. They kept it for a month, gave it a trial, said it didn't skip when they played it, and charged me $89 for a cleaning, which I'd already done! Anyway, at some point I decided I should just bite the bullet and get a new player.

So I got a Marantz CD 6007, mainly because there were numerous reviews saying it was the best player you could get for under a grand. It weren't cheap, but I would have to say it has the best sound of any player I've owned, and I've had some pretty good ones (Arcam, NAD, Rega Saturn). It also has a port that makes it easy to play FLAC files from a flash drive, which is occasionally useful. Just thought I'd mention this, since lots of people seem interested in audio quality.

And yeah, that PNX box just gets better every time I play it. I thought the packaging was beautiful, a work of art in itself, but I have to confess I pulled the CDs out, put 'em on the shelf, and put the outer box in the attic of my life. It's just so bulky it's hard to find space for it around here.

It's looking like Thursday I will have the opportunity to ditch work and take a hike out on the Marin coast. I pretty always play Dead when I'm tooling around out there. The whole area--Lagunitas, Nicasio Valley, Bolinas, even Novato--just reeks of GD history, and the music just seems to bubble up out of the hills. I think I'll but the Seattle '74 show in the player and see if I can time the edibles to kick in during that 45 minute PITB.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

I bought one of those about two years ago. Although it sounded superb, discs started skipping, or registering as "empty disc" on the display screen after about a year. The shop took it back for repairs, but it still didn't work properly. Eventually they replaced it with one that had been in the shop on display. So far so good. I clean it every week, and occasionally a disc won't play, and I have to take it out and re-slot it before it will play. I have noticed also that if I go to a track in the middle of the cd, it starts about a second into the track. Strange that such good player should be so flawed. I wondered if it was anything to do with the fact that the part where you place the cd is positioned on top of the player, rather than on the side, and that as a result, it collects more dust.
It sounds amazing though, to my ears. I just keep expecting it to break down all the time.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

Michael Zanabili, Moody Road CD... best cut is No. 2, "Out in the Rain"... A 7 minute cut you can put on repeat and explore a peaceful guitar for hours. You can find this CD in the cut-outs sometime.