Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • marye
    to a new venue, as it's become rather large... Go here!
  • Randall Lard
    Andy Stott Track: Execution Label: Modern Love Cat#: LOVE069
  • Randall Lard
    Abdulla Rashim Track: Asayita 2 Label: Abdulla Rashim Records Cat#: ARR002
  • wilfredtjones
    Lindsey Buckingham - Street of Dreams (et al.)
  • Randall Lard
    Eleh Track: Black Mountain 1933 Label: Important Records Cat#: IMPREC344
  • katky111
    for some reason, I'm precluded from editing my prior post (but only that post - not others in separate threads (?))...let's try again...
  • katky111
    With Coltrane you've committed an unprecedented breach of conventional listening! I LOVE it....BUT, I really came to attention with Jah Woosh (Neville Beckford - WOOT!) who's always reminded me of my favorite prog-reggae artist Eek-A-Mouse, especially that killer album "Assassinator"....oh my, it's been awhile since I've listened 'in that direction'; thanks for the signpost! peace/k
  • sisterearth
    Truckin'/Denver11/20/73
  • grdaed73
    Grateful Dead Live at Old Renaissance Faire Grounds on 1972-08-27 (August 27, 1972)
  • sisterearth
    Veneta, OR 8/27/72
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months
The real-time reports continue...
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Muslimgauze Track: Every Grain Of Palestinian Sand Label: Staalplaat Cat#: MUSLIMLIM 018
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

Hi ACH! Wow, I was just listening to TAAB while driving the puppies out to the lake for a swim early this a.m.! It may just be the deadhead in me, but I've really become enamored of that MSG '78 bonus version on my rerelease, as well as the live iteration from '77 on "Bursting Out" ... much like our beloved Dead, Tull seems to have thrived onstage. Yet, there is a discernible dearth of live material on the market, to include ROIOs, especially from early on. I'm envious of your pending concert experience; I've been reading interviews and watching documentaries while becoming increasingly impressed with IA's wit, intelligence, humor, and common sensibility. Have you seen "Fish & Sheep, RocknRoll" : IA as squire, entrepreneur, superstar, and husband! Question: Is he touring with any remnants of the band's early incarnations? In any event, I'll look forward to your review! Nothing novel to report on the listening front this a.m.; I've got disc 2 from #11 in for a third listen - what a 2nd set!/kate
user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Getting ready to hit this one which comes off of Road Trips Vol.2 No.2 First time through for me. 1 Morning Dew 2 Good Morning Little Schoolgirl 3 Dark Star 4 China Cat 5 The Eleven 6 Turn On Your Lovelight 7 That's It For The Other One 8 New Potato Caboose 9 Born Cross-Eyed 10 Spanish Jam 11 Alligator 12 Caution 13 Feedback 14 Midnight Hour
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

While there is great variance among subjectively rated stand-out shows, 2/14 is one of those special performances around which community consensus coalesces. Phenomenal open-structured jamming; note particularly what is formally called the Spanish Jam out of Born Crossed-Eyed, as well as the free-reigned improvisational workout between Alligator and Caution, the latter preceding a Feedback for which renowned taper Michael Getz "urge[s] everyone to sit down and let this thing grab you by the collar" as "it feels like the universe has been turned inside out, revealing the band as mere mortal puppets all along". Noteworthily, Getz concludes by stating, "Serious listening to this show reveals such a sheer depth of soul-awakening power that it astonishes me to remember just how young a band they were at the time". Love to hear your thoughts! /k
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

I love that particular song cycle and, while I realize it is only visual background for the audio clip, I am still compelled to ask whether you own a vinyl copy? I possess the DG cd, which - happily - also contains Erlkoenig, An die Musik, and Heidenroeslein. While sitting here reading, I'm listening to renditions of Tchaikovsky's 6th symph. (11/24/47)) and the Nutcracker (11/19/51) performed by the NBC SO under Toscanini's critique-proof hands!/peace, kate
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...cassette and cd only. Vinyl, someday soon?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...I'll talk to Billy at my local shop. ;-)P.S. I was actually considering doing that with the Gould - Goldberg which is actually moving the earth for me right now. And, I don't have it in any format. (except youtube - which by the way is splendid - as are the toccatas (again, only on tape, cd) I do have 2 copies of the Schubert song cycle though, so it's priorities I guess... P.S.S. I enjoy reading your posts, too. I must say you have the ability with your vocabulary to turn my brain into a pretzel that I must untwist. Great! The other day you actually used 'queer' in its now outmoded (?) context. I try using it sometimes and after I ask myself, "Should I feel strange for doing that?" And, your brightness shines my day... A lass after my own heart. I tend to love words as music and you are quite swell at it. Keep it up!
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hi Katyky.... Well I haven't seen the documentary but I do know he is owns a fish farm. :) I am not really sure if any other members of JT will be with him in Austin, it's billed as IA doing the songs of Jethro Tull so it does make me wonder. I have a "long lost" 1st cousin, actually I have yet to meet him, that lives in Austin. He is a professor of art at one of the universities there. We hooked up online via Facebook and found that we have many things in common, so he invited myself and my two sons over to Austin for the concert and bought our tickets!! Yay!!! It will be a very interesting night I'm sure. I have been a fan of JT for many years and I did catch the Rock Island tour some 20ish years back in New Orleans. I know no matter who will be there as his band it should prove to be a great show. Right now, I'm not listening to anything but the phones ringing as I am settling in for an overnight shift dispatching trucks. However once it gets closer to midnight and things slow down, I'll dig up some music to listen too... maybe some Tull! Peace! JT (my initials!!)
user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

katky... I didn't see your comments until after I had listened to the show. I am definitely with the community consensus on this one. The first set is raucous, raw and up-tempo. The second set continues as the first left off until Cross-Eyed morphs into Spanish Jam and then everything changes. Spanish is a wonderful journey in and of itself. Alligator-Caution-Feedback continues the trend and then they polish everything off with Midnight Hour which ends in a fantastic jam. Solid from start to end. The more I hear the very early stuff the more I appreciate it. It is fun to hear them just starting to work on what we know follows in the years to come.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Plaid Track: Eyen Label: Warp Records Cat#: WARPCD84
user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

I have taken my vast collection of Dead shows and uploaded them to Google Play. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Google Play I highly recommend it. They allow you to upload 15,000 songs for free. That is an insane amount of music. I have spent the better part of the last year uploaded darn near everything I have into the cloud and I am at around 9500 songs. 3250 of those are Dead tracks which include studio albums. Now I have access to my entire library basically anywhere I go. I am fortunate in that I am able to stuff by buds into my ears at work and listen to music all day long. You have to love the world we live in from a technology perspective. I digress. All of my live Dead stuff is broken down by date. Take the latest Dave’s Picks 11 for instance. I have split those out into their 2 respective dates. Some of these are incomplete shows and some are just 1 or 2 songs from a show. Anyway, I have 180 shows in my spreadsheet. Random.org does the rest. It spits out a number and that is the show I go with. The caveat being that at least 3 months needs to have passed since the last listening. The magical computer beings tell me what to listen to. Who am I to argue? Today the beings have instructed me to transport myself to St Louis Arena 1977-05-15. This show is of course part of the May 1977 box set. Looking at the playlist the biggest thing that separates this show from the other 4 in this set is that neither “Fire On The Mountain” or “Terrapin Station” are part of this show. The other 4 shows contain at least one of these two songs. I have not yet been through this entire show. I have heard parts of it but am looking forward to hearing it from beginning to end. That was pretty long-winded but I like to hear myself read. See y’all when I get back from St Louie. 1. Bertha 2. Good Lovin’ 3. Row Jimmy 4. Minglewood 5. Tennessee Jed 6. Lazy Lightning 7. Supplication 8. Jack-A-Roe 9. Passenger 10. Brown-Eyed Women 11. Dancing in the Street 12. Estimated Prophet 13. Eyes of the World 14. Drums 15. Samson & Delilah 16. Ship of Fools 17. St Stephen 18. Iko Iko 19. Not Fade Away 20. Sugar Magnolia 21. Uncle John’s Band
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

After an 11 1/2 hour day, spent entirely at a desk researching and writing (0730 to 1830) without reprieve, it was wonderful to open this thread and find your posts (as well as your lovely message, Randall). Skee: I'm not familiar with GP, but as I don't own any mobile devices (gasp!), it would probably be of limited utility, though I'd love to be suddenly possessed by the demonic inspiration required to enter my collection in a printable/reviewable database. Don't I know Spring '77(?!) Like y'all (probably), I've got the commercial catalogue plus some exquisite SBDs for the run of the 7th through the 9th...as I recall, 5/15 was a forum favorite during the raging post-release debate! WTG: First off, I'm a deep shade of emerald over the mere fact you have a "local shop"; naturally, you WOULD know the proprietor's name (sigh)...such a small addition to our county commerce would make my dark corner of Appalachia oh so much nearer to thee, my Lord! The transformative power of G's GVs does not dim with time or repeated listening. Great, great, great call. I'd be curious to know what release(s) you're listening to as, in the past, I've only borrowed copies from a Judge I work with, though Sony's remaster of the vaunted '55 original recording has haunted my Amazon Wish List for a year now. http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Goldberg-Variations-Historic-Recording/dp/B0… JT: Earlier, in the 'what's yer job' thread, I explained how the opportunity to work behind closed doors w/o any public and only marginal coworker interaction played an important factor in the acceptance of my current employment, despite forfeiting $$$, professional visibility, and upward mobility had I stayed in the courtroom. Obviously, your duties of monitoring the fleet present a much greater distraction than any I face, but it also sounds like you have the opportunity for valuable quality time with your music! Keep posting your play lists. It's becoming rather (painfully) apparent that I've barely spoken with anyone since sunrise :O ...however, before signing off, let me get on point: Today, all day, I listened exclusively to a staggering array of magnificent performances courtesy of Toscanini and the NBC SO (I bought the Complete RCA Red Seal collection), to include Shostakovich's symphony 7 (brute military strength); LVB's 3rd (my favorite) and 5th; Dvorak's 9th; Brahms 1st; and a first exposure to Cherubini's symph. in D major plus various overtures./peace and out, kate
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Check out András Schiff: Tureck (quite different and quite slower): The Gould '81 remains inspiring to me and I'll likely get it. I already own the Schiff, some of the Tureck (among a couple others: Simone Dinnerstein, Vladimir Feltsman) on tape or cd.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

RSD Track: Over It Label: Punch Drunk Cat#: DRUNKCD001
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

at the Shade Gap Bluegrass Festival (Pa.) 8/08/69 Beautiful three and four part harmonies. A great BWV 488 is by Murray Perahia. Really articulate and warm-toned - hits the spot.
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I believe April 19 1982 Baltimore. Damn he sounds good! Sing me away!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Although I have no mp3 player or ipod or even a cellphone, I do have a CD player in my car. Today I was listening to the end of the Richmond Mosque show from 1977, Dave's Pick #1. Oh, and Dave, in case you see this, fantastic job on the series, I got a subscription and am real glad I did. Great choices so far; you even released the very first show I saw. That was very cool. So, just, Thanks a lot Dave! Also, I like the seaside chats you use to introduce these sets. But anyway, listening to "The Wheel," and I'm wondering: HAS the thunder ever gotten anyone? If so, please tell the story.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Subeena Track: Picture Label: Opit Records Cat#: OPT 001
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

Randall, by listening to - and, therefore, thinking about - the electronic music you've posted, I've developed a new appreciation for the artistic effort required to construct (I wanted to say "play", but these works seem more like sound-building projects - and I don't intend that pejoratively) and execute these pieces. For instance, after a couple passes at "Picture", I began to focus on that clever bridge from :30 to 1:15, which connects the intro and the diminishing metronomic pulse that follows. I love how it begins with a subtle acceleration of the baseline beat (this is just an attempt at a personal description of what I hear, as I have no technical vocabulary for this)...I can't recall any of your posts on the main boards; I'd love to know whether you find a common ground b/w this music and the Dead or if you like the latter for entirely independent reasons (or a bit of both!)./tua amica,k
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Sensate Focus Track: X Label: Sensate Focus Cat#: FOCUS 1.6
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

such a beautiful version
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

John Coltrane Track: Seraphic Light Label: Impulse! Cat#: IMP 11692 For Kate and Tate
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

GAK Track: GAK 2 Label: Warp Records Cat#: WAP 48
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Jah Woosh Track: Woodpecker Sound Label: Cherry Red Cat#: CD BRED 24
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

June 30, 1979 Portland (OR)International Speedway
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Ontal Track: Function Label: Violet Poison Cat#: VPN005
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Hanna Hartman Track: Die Schrauben, Die Die Welt Zusammenhalten Label: Elektron Cat#: EM 1005
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

MimiCof Track: Hills In The Ocean Label: PROGRESSIVE FOrM Cat#: PFCD25
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Shelley Parker Track: Cast Label: STRUCTURE Cat#: none
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Veneta, OR 8/27/72
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Grateful Dead Live at Old Renaissance Faire Grounds on 1972-08-27 (August 27, 1972)
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Truckin'/Denver11/20/73
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

With Coltrane you've committed an unprecedented breach of conventional listening! I LOVE it....BUT, I really came to attention with Jah Woosh (Neville Beckford - WOOT!) who's always reminded me of my favorite prog-reggae artist Eek-A-Mouse, especially that killer album "Assassinator"....oh my, it's been awhile since I've listened 'in that direction'; thanks for the signpost! peace/k
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

for some reason, I'm precluded from editing my prior post (but only that post - not others in separate threads (?))...let's try again...
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Eleh Track: Black Mountain 1933 Label: Important Records Cat#: IMPREC344
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Abdulla Rashim Track: Asayita 2 Label: Abdulla Rashim Records Cat#: ARR002
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Andy Stott Track: Execution Label: Modern Love Cat#: LOVE069