Let It Rock
Way up in the evening, down in Mobile, Alabama (note 1)
Working on the railroad with a steel driving hammer
Got to make some money, buy some brand new shoes
Try to find somebody take away these blues
She don't love me here, I'm singing in the sun Payday's coming and my work is all done (note 2)
Early in the evening when the sun is sinking low (note 3)
All day I've been waiting for the whistle to blow
Sitting in a tee-pee built right on the track (note 4)
Rolling them bones 'till the foreman come back
Pick up your belongings boys and scatter about
We got an off scheduled train coming two miles out
Everybody's scrambling and running around (note 5)
Picking up the money, tear the teep-pee down
Foreman was in panic, 'bout to go insane
Trying to get the workers out the way of the train
Engineer blowing the whistle loud and long (note 6)
Can't stop the train we got to let it roll on
The Dead only played this once, on 23 June 1974, but Jerry played this often with JGB or other groupings.
(1) Chuck Berry sings "Well in the heat of the day, down in Mobile Alabama"
(2) Chuck Berry sings "... when my work is all done"
(3) Jerry sings "Later in the evening ..." in his solo recording
(4) Jerry forgets the words here
(5) Chuck Berry sings "..scrambling and jumping around"
(6) Chuck Berry sings "long and long" on the recording I have, but that may be a mistake