• 574 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • nappyrags

Tedeschi Trucks Band is DA BOMB!!! Have a great time...

• nappyrags

Ha Ha....it was 56 years ago this past weekend that I had my 17 year old brain fried...it was a show at the Shrine Expo Hall in LA...Grateful Dead, Steve Miller Band & Taj Mahal (with Jesse Ed Davis)...a month before high school graduation and the draft staring me in the mug...

• Vguy72

....waiting for DH Brewers thoughts.
    The setlist looks 👌
    Edit. Breaking news. Google Live Nation news.
    The wheels of justice move slow, but they move.
    I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

• nitecat

Going to see this hot band tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!

• daverock

I've never seen a Mad Max film, but the fact that the extraordinary looking Anya Taylor-Joy is in the latest has been noted.

• Vguy72

....Furiosa : A Mad Max Saga comes out this weekend.
    Big fan of the Mad Max movies. Tix secured. I'll see you down the ole' Fury Road.
    Far cry from the Lazy River Road for sure. 🍻.

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

Thank you, sir..

• DeadVikes

Danehead, they remastered it in 2007 in HDCD. It is a big upgrade. I picked one up a couple of years ago and was glad I did.

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

I know it is jumping the gun a bit, but just pulled out "1 from the Vault" for the first time in a loong while.. hope a new mix/mastering of this show will come with the 50th..

• billy the kiddd
    Anniversary shows 5/21 & 22/82 Greek Theatre

42 years ago( boy that time went by fast) I was up in Berkeley ( along with a lot of great people who post here on this forum) having a blast with the Good old Grateful Dead. Fun times.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Bucket as set 2 opener is great and then the Scarlet>Fire is worth hearing if you haven't... the Aiko is "way too effing slow". Check it out.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

....I do like to post this cheers emoji every now and then. A week or so ago I got hey nowed. Removed it and my post went through.
Testing it again. Well. What do you know. It went through.
It's random shit causing this. There is nothing to decifer.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I've got the world up my ass
And I'm gonna move fast
Be the first
Won't be the last
Society is burning me up
Take a bite,
Spit it out
Take their rules
Rip 'em up,
Tear them down
Twisted mind,
Withered brain
You know I'm going insane
I just tell them to get back
When they tell me how to act
You know I've got the world up my ass

It worked!! Go figure!

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Finally got around to playing DaP 50 the other day, and what do you know? Disc two doesn't play all the way through Roses. And taking a close look at it it's clearly defective. So here we go again.

in the past, I've always gotten replacement discs in a reasonable amount of time. (A couple weeks.) And I know these things do happen. And it's been a couple years since I've had an issue. But still. I can't remember the last time that I got a new CD that would not play from any other company. I can't understand why this is such a constant problem with the Dead releases.

Anyway.

DaP is a good show, once it gets going. But the boys sure took their sweet time waking up for this particular gig. It's pretty low energy until that Sugaree that everyone is (justifiably) so excited about. I think the Bill the Drummer (belated hbd bro!) is the hero here: he starts pushing some triplets on the toms, and he won't stop till everybody picks up on it, and suddenly the music really starts happening. A good show from there on out but I doubt if I'll return to that first disc anytime soon.

So this is a good show, I'm glad to have it, yada yada. But it's hard for me to get too excited about it. There are at least 5-6 shows from the same damn tour I like better. I guess I'm pretty jaded, no?

Last five!
Flaming Lips: American Head
Billy Strings: Home
GOGD: DaP 50
Zappa: Make a Jazz Noise Here
Sonny Rollins: A Night at the Vanguard

After listening to this for the first time earlier today, I would agree that the first cd is very unexciting. The three slow songs is just too many at the same funereal pace. I really like the "Peggy O' played on 5/8, but this one here is nothing special.
Things do pick up though during the second set - sparkles like snow flakes on a curates garden, you might say. Although you probably wouldn't. The whole show doesn't sound that essential really - but pretty good once it picks up a gear.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

please send me a PM with the details and I'll ask the Doc to fix this. Sorry for the aggravation.
user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by marye

Yay

You are still among us

I thought they had removed you

Please tell them the Hey Now stuff is bad for business

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by proudfoot

Blocked from posting ad nauseam Hey Now. Not fully caught up yet, first run 50. So far same original impression way back, second night with all its flaws, a little more magic. Speaking of magic, holy smokes, been checking out the outrageous and stunning video from Phish at The Sphere.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Peaceful Man

Better cyber-security. Strengthen the huge holes that are obviously open.

Makes me wonder how good is the front door when I am putting in information.

Thats all i have to say bout that.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

:)))

9 2 85
4 8 71
Surprise filler from 71 with Keith
Big Black album Atomizer
Ministry a mind is a terrible thing to taste
A few tracks from Dave's 50 disc 2

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....to see Blues Traveler tonight.
An hour drive. Haven't seen them since the early 2000's. Tix are $40.
Pleasantly surprised to see the line up is still the same.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by proudfoot

…I would really Love another “New Year’s performance release from the vault for the masses! If there’s one annual event I miss most was the groups New Year’s Eve celebrations they held at the Oakland Coliseum. The last was in 91’ I believe. Something was always special about them in my IMHO. I’ve never seen a larger sea of smiles from all the fans & attendees shine, with the house lights changing colors like great Roman candles in the sky. Phil s playing making the floors vibrate under your feet. Everything felt Special!
One of my favorite & gig is 1987! Believe it or not being from 1987, it’s an excellent show from start to finish! I believe it was also networked on television and radio for the entire country! Any other fans of the New Year Eve performances and would welcome a New release from the vault?….

Not spectacular.

I saw Jerry's Middle Finger the other night, those mofos can play. I absolutley loved it.
I do think that name in kinda dumb though...

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Not the most tactful name I agree

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....5.12.77 Chicago in the car. She's a thirty minute drive. Just exactly perfect.
Did not see Blues Traveler. Took an extended "nap" after that post and missed it lol.

The Strokes is this it
Dave's 50 disc 2
Ministry a mind yada
Big Black atomizer
Dave's 50 disc 3
Selections from 3 24 71
Opening track 11 25 79
David Bowie heroes

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Danehead

from a two part road trip over the past week...on Monday off to Phoenix to see old friends and Tuesday night hit the Stones at the stadium the Cardinals play...Wednesday was a day of shopping and driving home late... I hit various book stores and music shops I like...one of the stores never fails to delight in their clearance sale section for blues & Jazz at 99 Cent$ each...grabbed about 20 of them...I also bought a copy of RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C. 6/10/73...got some great books too...I spent Thursday sleeping and Friday I headed out to Las Vegas to hang with an old friend and treated him to my extra tix for Saturday's Stones show at Allegiant Stadium...all in all a great time...

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by nappyrags

post positive review of new release

Apparently the word double u eye en en ee r is verboten

Beyond l a m e

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Ist show in last years big box. The whole might take a while to get off the ground, as you might expect from such a humongous show, but Jerry's guitar is spot on from the first note. Beautiful tone and playing.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I've very much been enjoying our latest offering from DL & CO.

I've always been a big fan of Peggy-O, and this is yet another stellar spring 77 version!!

On the morning of, 8/9/95, after hearing the news, I went and drove to my friends house to share in the grief of the day. As I started driving the tape in my car (10/17/94) was silent as all I could hear was the band tuning up. Once the music started it was Peggy-O. A very stunning moment, to my new stunning reality.

Rock on, gang!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Argh. You guys, I feel your pain. The extremely short version is that, as previously noted, the tech folks are hard at work on many things, one of which is a newer and better site for us. And as with so many things in life, it takes longer than we'd hoped. Your cries are not falling on deaf ears and we are sorry for the aggravation. Thank you.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

The front cover from the E72 CD box is just so tres francais!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by marye

Thanks Mary!

And when will they announce that October 74 box?

Still can't get that W word past the Hey Now.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

We've b****ed about the sheet enough. At least I have.

Apologies for the whining.

Looking forward!

HF

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

I don’t have it. There was no CD, just an LP if I recall correctly.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

New and improved coming soon…….

As Homer Simpson previously stated: “They have the internet on computers now”.

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

...phila spectrum,
3 friends: Brian ("The Load" RIP), Dan ("The Man" RIP), and Mike ("Chumpweed", btw r u still in DE?) miracled me to my 1st show (I had just returned home on 4/30 after 5 weeks in a Brooklyn hospital) and I was in a fragile all-around state, and needed some LIVE MUSIC to get back to reality.

Thank You Guys, my life has never been the same since hearing the GOGD on that Saturday night.

Mike, if Penndel and Cobalt Ridge sound familiar please PM me. I would love to meet up with you. I believe I saw Aunt Shelly @ the Sunshine Daydream Meet Up @ the Movies several years ago w/ her piercing blue eyes.

...now I'm off to the archive for many more smiles : 1978-05-13 Identifier #116978 : and lovin' life

I went down to the sea
try to see what's going down
maybe read between the lines
had a feeling I was falling, falling, falling
turned around to see
heard a voice calling, calling, calling
you was comin after me
back to me

Peace All!

PS - if you like early '78, Truckin'>Black Peter>Sugar Mags>SSDD 🤯

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

.....is on the case.

You will never regret being kind.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I am going to pass the being kind sentiment on to my students

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....are smaller bands working their tours around it.
There are a few playing the Brooklyn Bowl that I'm interested in.
Eggy is one of them. Daniel Donatos Cosmic Country. Circles Around The Sun. Melvin Seals and JGB is playing there again. Pink Talking Fish changed their name to Pink Talking Fish Are Dead for the two shows they are playing.
The downside? Most doors are at 11. And it looks like the old man's getting on.
Got Pearl Jam this saturday evening.
Pretty good seats. Upper bowl center. 3rd row.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....This week, The Venetian will open the "Dead Forever Experience", which includes more than 22,000 square feet of interactive exhibit space across two floors.
I'm as happy a a pigpen in shit.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Looks like this one will go fast. Initial sales were 20397. Right on hopefully Dave is right and we get another 50. Of course not sure I’ll make it that far.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html