Days Of Dead

Dire Wolf, My Brother Esau
Hint:
A double dose of first-set songs, one of which was (mostly) in the repertoire for 26 years, and one of which was around for only five years.
day6_jjin9j9li36h57s_direwolf_mybrotheresau.mp3
New York, NY, Madison Square Garden
"Dire Wolf" first appeared onstage in June 1969, with Jerry on pedal steel and Bob on lead vocals (!). "My Brother Esau" was around for a short but fruitful period, 1983-1987.
Winner

MP3 Filename
day6_jjin9j9li36h57s_direwolf_mybrotheresau.mp3
Song Title
Dire Wolf, My Brother Esau

Default Avatar

4 years

First time I ever got it on the first try, but I gather many will. There is just something satisfying about hearing it and knowing you got it and then hearing the audio sync up.

Default Avatar

7 years 9 months

A few obvious clues and a bit of luck helped me get this one on my 1st pick, too.
And a pretty sweet encore is sending me off to dreamland!

15 years 2 months

Love this combo! Seems we were here not too long ago. More deja vu this year :)

11 years 8 months

I first began wandering the land of Esau’s
Came across this combo very quickly
I guess Esau held a blessing for me on this one
I believe this might make it 6 for 6 for me so far
Good luck wandering the land

4 years 9 months

Not too hard to figure this one out….. not many shows for the wolves to pick through. Does anyone else notice a certain tone in Jerry’s vocals on Dire Wolf and Bobby just naturally mirrors it back???

Brent really shined at this show. Still a very strong performance from the whole band but Brent just stuck out on this one in my opinion. The second set contains one of my favorite versions of one of my favorite Jerry songs. Ha, a favorite of a favorite…..Hopefully everyone has as much fun doing these as I do!

12 years 5 months

In reply to by Co5mic charlie

and also agree about the vocals. I swear I could hear Jerry smiling through while singing Dire Wolf and Bob seemed to reflect that positive enthusiasm as well.

5 years 9 months

Another easy one. Listening with it synced up, the crowd at the end sounded like a big whoosh that turned electric...so fuggn cool!!

Default Avatar

12 years 9 months

I should be 5 out of 6 instead of 4 out of 6. this game is fun though.

first of all jerry only started using slide a couple of months into the year but the reason i knew it was that version was because it was the only one that had no Keith solo in that time period. jerry solos and boom right back into the song.

13 years 6 months

I never understood people who just yelled out band members names (like the dude between songs today).

6 years 9 months

I all the years of guessing correctly, I still haven't won...no doubt there are many entering.

9 years 11 months

By far the easiest one yet!

This was a great run at that venue (which won't be revealed here). I was at 2 of those shows and, needless to say, a splendid time was had by all.

I can't pass up this opportunity to harp on one of my personal hobbyhorses. Many people tout a Morning Dew that was done during this run as the greatest of all time. But I am here to tell you all that the greatest Morning Dew of all time was 11-2-85 in Richmond.

9 years 3 months

and the wolf's debut! Makes for an easy Saturday. Good luck all.

Default Avatar

7 years 9 months

In reply to by moribundjt

There was one other Wolf grinnin' at us before this one. In 30 DoD 2018, looks like it may have been day 22. But it was hiding in the shadows of Cumberland.

Cumberland Blues, Dire Wolf (12-31-1970 Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA)

7 years 9 months

It had to be this year. Lively take on Dire Wolf. Love JG playing on tunes like Dire Wolf with the low single note gtr riffs in intro and connecting the chords in verse & chorus. Then Bobby gets his whammy bar fun on Brother E

Have fun!

12 years 5 months

versions of both these tunes! Vocally, instrumentally, compositionally, psychedelically, spiritually. They're brother-to-brother, sister-to-sister and hand-to-hand grate! But I digress.

For fun, check out track 6 of another archive recording around this time period containing this pairing. It's the best version I've ever heard.

As mentioned by dougbr1ne, the next song after Esau was a pretty rare tune (although played a few more times over the next several shows and not uncommon in the second half of the year); however, right before it, Jerry is about to play an even less-played gem but bails out...he wouldn't revisit that one until almost two months later (it was only played three times that year). I guess it was just a fleeting moment. From my count, we've been gifted three versions each of both of these rarities here at 30 DoD over the years. Thanks again for the gifts Dave!

13 years 7 months

In reply to by Dead Pondo

Pondo-as far as the most versatile song I would guess Touch of Grey, or Uncle John's Band

Default Avatar

9 months

Finally joined the comments after awhile.

I love the OLD Jerry voice in some of the YOUNG songs you don't hear too often. Adds a bit of nostalgia...though perhaps I'm imposing my own baggage to the setlist. Sidebar: I'd love to hear a High Time and Days Between back to back.

Default Avatar

4 years 8 months

I've won twice in the 6 years (0.0111111 winning %, but never the Grand Prize) that I've having this fun.........I never do any synching due to time constraints, so many times I'm just winging it. Just remember that even if you're not a daily winner, if you get the answer right you are still entered into the Grand Prize drawing at the end. The best part is the number you picked correct daily will be the number of entries into the Grand Prize drawing. So, if you get all 30 days correct, you got 30 chances to win the Big One. I just wish they would post who wins the Big Kahuna. Beautiful Fall day here, and everyone keep on enjoying the ride!

Default Avatar

10 years 8 months

After a late and sloppy start, I got my first one. I got most the last couple of years. Every day we win just by being able to join the fun. Boy did we win just by seeing these guys how ever many times we did ...

1 year 9 months

My Brother Esau must have had the crowd grooving back in the day!

13 years 3 months

In reply to by DRKSTARR

I always loved it when they broke it out. First time I heard it was Ventura County Fairgrounds in, I'm thinking 1983.

Default Avatar

9 months

Sometimes I think Well? and other times I just don't know but... I'm thinking they DN folks got it wrong. Anyone else think it's 2/22/73

Default Avatar

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Skjelefetti

I also guessed 2/22/1973, but my verification process was weak. I quickly knew I was wrong. My hint was about raising a toast ... Champaign. I guess I shouldn't leave a hint when I am not certain.

9 months 1 week

In reply to by Bundubush

Additionally, I feel like the number 20 in the hint was a veiled clue as well. According to DeadBase X, they played the Warfield 20 times.

4 years 8 months

In reply to by Skjelefetti

Yeah, I went with 2/22 also. Phil sings it with the same quirky vocals as the May version. I thought for certain that I had the right show.

Default Avatar

9 months

In reply to by WildBill29

The very distinctive closing bass notes before the thank you led me to 2/22

4 years 8 months

I've always liked this tune from Bobby. I know Dave is fan of it too, but I've seen a lot of heads throw shade on this song. I can dig it. I've heard a lot worse.

8 years 8 months

The clue I was listening for ruled out 2/22 during the first few seconds of the song. 5/26 was obvious once I got there.

9 years 9 months

I once sent an email to D. Lemeuix about a huge box set with every show from this venue! I’d buy it. Maybe in 2027

4 years 9 months

Tomorrow's song Will be Wharf Rat

10 years 3 months

agreed, UJB & Touch are solid guesses...
Terrapin & Dew, good but not as solid...
here's a few more to chew on:
Truckin'
Foolish ♡
US Blues

...sooo, when is the grand reveal, pondo???

Foolish Heart was the one I was thinking of that appeared in all the key setlist spots, nice work TheeAmazingAce333! I did a little research and it appears that Uncle John's Band, Touch of Grey, Terrapin, Truckin', and Playing in the Band would also qualify. Great guesses y'all! Let us know if you think of any others. Also, that tease I was referring to yesterday that came after the 9/16/87 Esau and right before Jerry went into High Time was Dupree's Diamond Blues; it didn't resurface until 11/7 back on the west coast. Good luck today...thanks for Playin'!

Contest Day - backend
38 comments
sort by
Recent
Reset
Items displayed
  • TheeAmazingAce333
    9 months ago
    yeeeeees, mooooooore GD triviaaaaaa...

agreed, UJB & Touch are solid guesses...
    Terrapin & Dew, good but not as solid...
    here's a few more to chew on:
    Truckin'
    Foolish ♡
    US Blues

...sooo, when is the grand reveal, pondo???

• Dead Pondo