Days Of Dead

Wharf Rat
Hint:
One of the Dead's classics, never recorded in the studio.
day8_ei0pr1x8b8zh9m6_wharfrat.mp3
Oklahoma City, OK, Oklahoma City Music Hall
Debuting in February 1971, "Wharf Rat" was never recorded in the studio, with the definitive version being the live one from Skull & Roses, recorded in April 1971
Winner
Jack
from
Denton
TX
Default Avatar

4 years
Contest winner
Jack
Contest Winner City
Denton
Contest Winner State
TX
Hint
One of the Dead's classics, never recorded in the studio.
MP3 Filename
day8_ei0pr1x8b8zh9m6_wharfrat.mp3
Song Title
Wharf Rat

Default Avatar

7 years 6 months

That was a comment, not a clue.

13 years 7 months

This is a fun one. Thanks Dave!

4 years 6 months

Jerry’s soulful cry really took me to church on this one. Such a great song this version is really powerful. If you pay attention to the different Wharf Rats through the years you should be able to narrow it down fairly easy. I’m just curious though….was it “some motherfucker’s” or “some other fucker’s crime”????

10 years 2 months

skull and roses LP, wharf rat got me into GD, this sounds like from that time 1971 superb

1 year 6 months

Jerry! That wiiiiiiine line put chills down my spiiiiine.

Default Avatar

13 years 11 months

Has to be a 71 show, no doubt.

Default Avatar

13 years 11 months

I think this is the Best Wharfer I never heard...Phil is SPOT ON.

5 years 3 months

Sounds more like 1972 to me

6 months 2 weeks

I’m sorry you had to serve time on my behalf.

13 years 7 months

this is one of those times sets.net screws you! I listened to so many wharf rat's I want to take a bite out of a big block of cheese!

11 years 6 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Man, thanks for confirming what I started to suspect after listening to dozens and dozens of rats on Setlists. Looked elsewhere and might have got it down...finally!

4 years 6 months

The tool I’ve been most successful with so far this year actually didn’t have this show listed on their site. Definitely helps to use multiple sources.

10 years 6 months

Yes, It appears at least 3 sources have incomplete listings. I was lucky enough to spot the track listed in an audio source, but only after spending much more time searching after narrowing down the time frame.

Very nice curveball Dave! smile smile smile.

9 years 8 months

Today for the first time I decided I needed to be better able to manipulate the song file than I am able to in my browser. So for the first time since the contest started, I downloaded the MP3, which meant I also had to install the latest Windows Music Player to play it. As soon as I played the MP3 with the Windows Music Player it displayed the date and location of the recording in the upper left corner. I checked it and it was right.

Now every other day, I did it the hard way by searching through set lists and listening to archive files etc. So this is clearly not fair. I'm not sure how the Windows Media Player knew the date and location. Maybe its in the metadata of the MP3 or maybe they did some kind of wave file match. I'm not that up on this technology. But this goes against the spirit of the contest so I think maybe they either need to stop providing the MP3 or strip the metadata or I don't know what but this is a serious hitch in the whole deal. And as Jerry would say, "Don't you let that deal go down."

Huh. I tried to replicate the issue and no luck. For what it's worth, I was able to track down the correct file - I think - so it woulda been nice to verify. I get what you're saying though and I'm fairly sure it's just a one-off bug at worst...if not, there would have been less folks lost in the Playin' jams yesterday. :)

I just tried it again and what it does is first it displays just the song title then it changes to just the band name and then it changes to date/location and then it just keeps cycling through that.

11 years 6 months

In reply to by 13point

Man, that’s a good theory. No idea if you’re correct but it makes sense to me!

7 years 4 months

In reply to by Jay_Dogg_76

The "Wharf Rat" is a bonus track on Dave's Picks Volume 11.

14 years 11 months

that this version is several pages down on Headyversion.com? I gave it a vote LOL

well my setlists reference wasn't true to me today, so before I turned to burgundy wine I changed channels and voila, there it was before me in all its stand-alone ragged glory.

9 years 6 months

In reply to by smallz

Well, setlists, you've gone astray. Thank you so much smallz! I started with the show just after this one and was circling back (picking up some choice bits along the way) when I thought I'd better check the comments. Never would have found it without your help 🙃.
A stand-alone Wharf Rat, with Phil's gorgeous bass and a sweet short jam. Just bliss.... hope y'all are lovin' it as much as I am!

8 years 6 months

...but aside from the setlist inconsistencies - isn't there something else quirky about this version that would throw people off? Without giving anything away this early in the day, I would say to set aside ANY preconceptions as you search. It's no rules Monday! Either way, as always, thanks for the downloads and the game to look forward to every November! If it helps, I'll also say that during my first fruitless search, I had noted that the 2 versions leading up to this one were getting close, based on how they were playing the intro.

11 years 6 months

In reply to by UncleJake

Definitely something about this one that might cause someone to deny it as a possible 30 Days candidate but things get blurry around here sometimes so I just let that train roll on down the line.

7 years 6 months

In reply to by UncleJake

Yes that intro was an important part of tracking this one down for me. What is there and what isn't there in the intro or what is not that loud there compared to others. Phil plays a very similar riff in the intro to a lot of the versions I heard when comparing. But the answer version today has some tell tale signs in the intro. And the way Jerry sustains some words realllllllyyyyy loooonnnggg. That helped.

6 years 6 months

Got it on the 3rd version listened. However, I did use headyversion clue to save myself from an all day affair and glad I did since the show isn't listed on setlists.net.

5 years 6 months

DeadBaseX had the date that was no where to be found on the two setlist sites.
My Windows Media Player didn't give the show from the Downloaded mp3 file, so, unless there's other more complete setlist sites, the DBX gave me the show today. It was easier than yesterdays Playin'.

turns out, this and a few other tunes from this show have been released, but I had better luck zeroing in on it using the Relisten version.

Default Avatar

3 years 10 months

Thanks to all who posted "warnings" and thanks Jay Dogg - you the man! (and whoever posted previously) Got it in a few minutes. I now have a new go to. Very user friendly as is re listen. KenRat, follow Jay Dogg's advice. Also, I agree: I wouldn't have necessarily considered this to be a candidate and it wasn't precisely what I expected in terms of the date but daaamn sooooo gooood.

13 years 7 months

PM.

11 years 5 months

A few clues helped me out with the Wharf Rat today
Now I can get a new start, and live the life I should
Time for me to get up & fly away
Good luck all!

12 years 2 months

where I thought it would be, so I had to do a little extra time traveling to find this one. But it's okay because the looking is as fun as the finding, and they usually find me sooner or later. This one turned out to be a sweet little lamb in rats clothing to boot.

13 years

The hints that it isn't on setlist made this a little too easy. But, OTH, I never would have found it otherwise.

Easy Answers

13 years 7 months

Has anyone else figured out what's so special about today's giveaway?

Sorry about the too easy hint.

13 years 7 months

PM.

Default Avatar

7 years 3 months

Got this first try by chance. I see the surprise. If you like WharfRat, check out this other version: 11-21-73 - but you have to start with the track before it, which really should be called "Wharf Rat Prelude". It's about a minute of Playin' jam, which rolls into a 3 1/2 minute WharfRat lead-in jam. Then they continue to jam throughout the next track. Simply inspired.

Thanks for sharing about 11/21/73 that’s some really good jam….all runs into morning dew👀

7 years 6 months

Searched a bunch of shows in a 2-3 year zone during lunch break. Then isolated it a bit later. Fun to see the slight changes and striking similarities in some versions. Like another 30 DoD day earlier this month I found some shows that had a Wharf Rat that surprisingly synced up almost.... but not quite.

7 years 6 months

Searching the song title in Archive dot org with a year(s) filter helped but... haha that word "Rat" and the way their search gets really specific. The words "Grateful" and "rate" etc all qualify so that made it a bit strange to wade through (LOTS of results returned there ha). Then I figured how to work around that . As others mentioned, setlist dot fm will lead you astray. A fan based website like wiki (or discogs etc) that can be very helpful but the accuracy and "completeness" depends on user contributions.

7 years 10 months

398 or 395? That was a scavenger hunt!

Contest Day - backend
57 comments
sort by
Recent
Reset
Items displayed
  • Default Avatar
    Bundubush
    6 months 2 weeks ago
    Drum Beats

Thought I'd get it on the absence of the high hat cymbals but I'm missing something One awful close in 71 and another in 74 but I'm tapped out. might miss it tonight.

• m-skjellyfetti
    6 months 2 weeks ago
    Re: First time

Nope. A Wharf Rat appeared in 2011, from 7-29-1974, Landover, MD

And as Ladnarc mentioned, todays selection had been previously 'released' . Not complaining....just saying. :-)

• deadbass36