Days Of Dead

Cumberland Blues
Hint:
A steady part of the repertoire 1969-1995, aside from 1975-1980, during which it wasn't played
day14_edtvavregckuxyf_cumberlandblues.mp3
New York, NY, Fillmore East
Always a fun song to hear live, this version is from the opening night of the Dead's classic February 1970 Fillmore East run
Winner

Hint
MP3 Filename
day14_edtvavregckuxyf_cumberlandblues.mp3
Song Title
Cumberland Blues

11 years 9 months

so don't look from 75 to 80?
pretty sure the song will stop if you submit your entry during playback, since the page is sending info and refreshes.
unless youre already listening to it from a saved file
mine twice submitted an entry when i made a comment or refreshed the page to see people's posts. i suspect my pc somehow was resending my previous entry. restarted my machine hasnt been a problem since. although i dont comment until after i guess
except for today
i also use the thing at the top of the page to go to the current days selection.

7 years 8 months

In reply to by hornsby

At some point over the years, I remembered to keep the music playing in a separate tab so that I could submit my guess without a cut in the audio here.

10 years 4 months

just to say a big thank you for 30 days of dead, i really appreciate it, it always makes me buy more dead stuff

15 years 2 months

Not much help! It's early and electric. This show encapsulates the confluence of two "eras". The lack of a certain instrument in the mix is key.

2 years 8 months

Don't forget to listen to the last hour of this show once you get there.....special guests add to the mind-blowing jams. Have a safe and relaxing Sunday everyone!

13 years 7 months

Two nights of this run are well represented on choice official releases. I had an initial thought it might from these. Started on wrong year, knew it right away. Then just started at the top. Was in the mood for a wee bit of a search. That opening riff from Garcia, Phil's bass bounce and Bob's crispy rhythm chops. If that doesn't get you dancing, at least in your head then you might want to check your pulse.

4 years 8 months

I downloaded this show about 4 1/2 years ago and listen to it a couple of times a year. It is a very special show and I hope that some day Dave gives it the special treatment it deserves.

7 years 8 months

Loved this tape(s) back in the day. Key for finding this was the intro. Jerry starts up with the low note gtr riffs (instead of either Bobby or Phil as many other versions have). And the little Jerry notes and Bob "thank you" at the very beginning here... well if you are looking for that... sometimes you have to pet the tail of the other dog before you scratch the head of another....

I dug into a few other years for a bit based on lack of certain instruments then centered in on how they were doing the intro over the various years I had isolated.

9 years 11 months

Another moderately difficult one. I started one year too late but then I listened to Phil and realized I had to take a step back (if only they had had Bobby in Houston recently). Was that an On The Road Again tease?

1 year 9 months

Man two days in a row I’m lost, maybe I had too much to fast? Listening to The Other One for a day will set you straight!

9 years 9 months

All you gear heads will know what guitar Jer is playing, so you can narrow it down that way. All I’m saying.

Default Avatar

10 years 8 months

This will be found in pretty narrow period of time but I just love the song so much that on a Sunday Ill walk back through the years all little bit to hear those early early versions.

7 years 10 months

The end of this night encapsulates everything unique and incredible about this band. I would hope that the powers that be at rhino can work out a way to get this show released some day, given all the famous musicians that sit in at the end.

4 years 8 months

I was looking for that distinct sound at the end of this one today. Cumberland Blues is one of the songs that really got me into the Dead. In one show, you'd get some Blues, some Psychedelic Rock, some Country & some Americana tunes like this one. I loved listening to yesterday's show. Listening to this one makes me want to shout like Monty Python... "No one expects the Spanish Jam!!"

11 years 9 months

Multiple variables to attend to before being able to narrow it down to a rather tight time frame....

Default Avatar

2 years 9 months

Sometimes a man just likes to sit around in the stretchy pants on a rainy Sunday morning and listen to 120 or so Cumberlands.............

Default Avatar

10 years 8 months

I picked the the wrong transition in my initial exploration but I got back to it and the little yodel was kind of a kicker. Got there in the end.

13 years 5 months

this was the tape that i wore out from so many listens. a birthday show for me, tho i wasn't going to concerts on my own yet then.

Default Avatar

7 years 9 months

Lovin’ all the comments today. And yep, an easy era to zero in on. The “Thank you” was a pinpointer for me.

Also noticed that we were gifted one particular song from this show in a past 30DoD that doesn’t show up on every list, and I haven’t seen a recording of it on any of the usual sites (archives.org, relisten.net, setlists.net, etc). Maybe it’s somewhere I don’t know of, but I’m quite happy that Dave saw fit to share that hard-to-find track with us!
. . . in fact now that I think about it, that must’ve been a real stumper for us on that 30DoD, since there was no recording to find to compare it to.

6 years 9 months

If there's really no access to this show then I'm Dead in the water...

8 years

In reply to by gnosticaspirant

Gotta get down to the mine.

Interesting since my job wants us back full time tomorrow.

13 years

In reply to by gnosticaspirant

... a proper song from a proper show in here turn out to be from a show of which there isn't a readily available soundboard, if only for streaming.
There was last year a clip of rehearsal tapes from Mickey's barn or Bob's studio.

12 years 3 months

Wow... the opening track on my first Dead LP, 'Europe 72'... a brilliant track, a fantastic change of pace in my listening life, probably changed the way I approach music... a few years later I was in public radio and then became Buyer for a really nice record store in Ann Arbor... What great memories, great timing in my music education...

10 years 8 months

you're at a show and they play Bertha and you're in the pouring rain at SPAC, or Terrapin with a crescent moon over Denver from Red Rocks, or Jack Straw on July 4th in Texas. Last night listening to an acoustic Birdsong from Radio City and going over Orange heights, from the White Mountains to the Green Mountains, I drove through my first snow and rain of the season. Synchronicity and splendor. Took a while to get to today's answer to the answer, man, but what a lovely slog through this era and doing the happy dance once I found this treasure of a show. "Y'all a great Bunch."

13 years

In reply to by mickmac

This number opened a lot of shows. This show, however, is not one of those.

12 years 5 months

to crack and I was about to do the same and throw in the towel. But I persevered while the song perseverated through my brain. Then I cornered the year and it was relatively easy after that. I came in out of the cold rain and snow so to speak. High quality audio was a bonus.

The toilet flush @ 00:37 really helped me sniff this one out.

Contest Day - backend
31 comments
sort by
Recent
Reset
Items displayed
  • brassinthegrass
    8 months 3 weeks ago
    Tough nut......

The toilet flush @ 00:37 really helped me sniff this one out.

• Default Avatar
    mickmac
    8 months 3 weeks ago
    Open and Shut

Opening song rarity?

• spiritwide
    8 months 3 weeks ago
    Not this time.

This number opened a lot of shows. This show, however, is not one of those.