Days Of Dead

High Time
Hint:
A song that was played quite consistently since 1969, with the exception of 1971-1975, 1978, 1983, and 1989.
day21_ct2ej6beqxf5lmk_high_time.mp3
San Francisco, CA, Fillmore Auditorium
From "Workingman's Dead," "High Time" debuted a year before that album's release and was always a treat to hear the Dead play this live
Winner

day21_ct2ej6beqxf5lmk_high_time.mp3
Song Title
High Time

Default Avatar

7 years 6 months

Well that’s unfortunate.
The snarl at 2:22 is a bit of a bump in the road, but not too hard to handle.
But what’s up with the tickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktick in the right channel?!
Otherwise it's such an intimate start, and ending, to such an impassioned performance!

13 years 7 months

Usher throw these rowdy's out! Never mind the tickticktick. Close but no cigar.

Default Avatar

13 years 6 months

I have some tapes that have been in my attic since the '80s that sound better than this.
As always, thanks for a great month!
PS, ticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktick...

9 years 8 months

I had to listen to almost a year's worth of High Time's before I stumbled across the right one, but at least the year was easy to nail down. Jerry's vox did it for me with a little gurgle at the end of one line and no aye-aye from Captain Trips in this particular version being the telltales.

For what it's worth, Charlie Miller has a board sans metronome.

14 years 11 months

What a sweet, emotive version. Tape cut is the clincher. Bobby's voice doesn't quite hold up on the high notes in a couple of places.

6 years 6 months

So many versions...randomly landed on the one. Started a little late but didn't hear a certain thing then traveled back a bit. Good luck!

11 years 6 months

Unlike most versions from this year, Bobby doesn't have the tremolo going during the gentle intro.

8 years 6 months

There's your pig, and a nice sammich, good side dishes, tasty thru and thru then more and sweets for afters, now be thankful you animals. and bless us everyone amen
especially Charlie Miller

7 years 6 months

.. tick tick tick AHHHH
Very nice sounding version of this out there with a smoother, gentler handling of the cut. And as others mentioned no clicking sounds.
Has anyone listened to the downloaded file from the site today to see if that has clicks on it as well?

Yep, the download sounds the same as the version on the webpage.
Woke up to no electricity this morning, so just starting my search. I look forward to finding that Charlie Miller version!

14 years 11 months

Of all the versions out there...we get one with an annoying tick?

Default Avatar

7 years 6 months

In reply to by flounderfe

I once asked the same question of the powers that be about a previous year's song, wondering why they didn't offer a different (I thought 'better') version that I heard on archive.org. What I understand from their response is that all the recordings Dave offers are pulled directly from the Vault—so no other edited versions, audience, etc. And sometimes, I still find more preferable versions in other places. But always happy to hear these!

I can see that they would use what is in the Vault, yes. That makes sense. But the tick tick sound here today does not sound like a problem of the time of the recording. It sounds like an modern day error in transferring this to a digital file we can d/l. But only speculating.. I don't know , can't say for sure.

From the notes from another archive version:
"There is a noticeable popping noise throughout most of the recording that is almost certainly from the reel recorder. It is faint, though, and seemingly dissipates as each reel is used up."
I almost missed this concert version entirely, as I only found one archive upload of this show that was complete.
Wondering if Bear followed that earnest request??

Default Avatar

5 months 3 weeks

There was a show I was at in 1982, madison square garden where Scarlet was played without Fire. It was 9/16/1987. It was weird for I told my girlfriend at the time that i would like to hear a Scarlet and Only Scarlet before we went to the show.

10 years 7 months

Every year we lament the lack of Pig Pen. The reasons why they can't be given away free have been well documented. I would add though ..that the record store day disc Olympia Theater 5/3/72 and Fox Theater 12/10/71 both have some FINE Pig. Both were recently released with the Paris show having my very favorite 'Good Loving " of all time.To the heads that love Pig era Dead I would also highly recommend the Vinyl "Light into Ashes" No Pig but what an amazing collection of Primal Wall Drip Dead.

6 months 2 weeks

I've always felt High Time had a sonic brother in the equally powerful Stella Blue. I had the pleasure to listen to a really moving version of SB from Merriweather Post Pavillion in June '85. Believe it if you need it!

12 years 2 months

easy?? I'm sure I'll pay for that comment when we come to the inevitable nearly un-findable day. I found this track /show interesting and definitely worth listening to, even though it kinda got all Bear'd up. Loved the muted "What the F___ was that!" comment at the end.

Default Avatar

10 years 5 months

One of my all time favorite that I was only able to see live a couple of times. I had pinned down the time frame but it still took me to runs through to pin in down.

11 years 6 months

once again left with an hour to find this one. can it be four easy ones in a row? probably not. when i have all the time in the world its easy. when im down to the wire its the tricky ones. missed four this year that way. plus two due to computer error. thats a record. still having a real good time this 30 days.
ok shut up times running out. gotta go

11 years 6 months

ran out of time. got caught up in all the ticks and glitches walked right through this one. there's so many that start up almost on que. at the swing on 12-13 its almost a match up til the two minute forty five mark.
ah well; time to make some tacos and get into the new selection