• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • One Man
    1973 - This one is simply monstrous. It sputters a bit getting started, but by the time of China/Rider, there is no turning back. Yes, that TOO jam segment looks great on paper and it lives up to your wishes. There are a couple of aud patches and neither one is pitch corrected. These are minor blemishes, and this show will enjoy much play around here.
  • Younger_than_Y…
    Default Avatar
    Listened to the first 4-5 shows last year and think I went in to much. Just listened to '68 and found it amazing! Jerry's guitar sounds so happy and bouncy. Rough sound at first and Phil is to high in the mix and Bobby to far back, but it gets better. 1967 is crazy good. No doubt primal Dead. The sound is very fresh. Has there ever been music like that since? No band could match these guys live.
  • One Man
    Who scared away Kate? Stop doing that. I really miss her posts. Did she erase one below? Here are some thoughts thus far. I also have song-by-song notes, too long for here: 1966 – As you would expect, this show features embryonic versions of many songs that grew to much greater proportions in later years. It also contains a bunch of relative rarities, and it all sounds pretty good. I think this is a great choice to open the box, even if a couple of songs are incomplete. The vibe is very pizza parlor. 1967 – As expected again, our heroes have audibly expanded their musical talents by this time and have incorporated more original tunes into their act. The sound quality here is as good as possible, since it was mixed from an archived 8-track source tape, only one of two multi-tracks in the whole box. Pig is big on this show. I like his songs best, plus “New Potato Caboose”. “Viola Lee Blues” also got a lot of love from listeners, and while I think it’s grand, you could probably find a hotter one or two. 1968 – This is a short show, and it really takes off about halfway through, with the early rendition of “Dark Star”. The sound is a little rough, and probably would have prevented release in a stand-alone context. So we are lucky to have this little unpolished gem, and I for one will certainly give it an occasional spin. The jams are big, big, big. 1969 – There was some chatter about this show being in the same league as the famous Fillmore West run of just a few days hence. But it is not of that caliber, and because it shares so many songs with that more snazzy series of shows, I probably won’t be listening much to this one. I do particularly like the take on “Death Don’t Have No Mercy”. 1970 – This is the clear winner thus far. The sound is fuzzy at times, and the organ is but a shadow, but the playing makes up for any audio slights. Do not miss the jam out of “Drums”, nor the jam in “Dancing in the Street”. In fact, do not miss any of this show. 1971 – As much as I love the 1970 show, I find this one somewhat spotty, mainly due to under-rehearsed new songs and one inexcusable cut in “Goin’ Down the Road Feeling Bad”. The good stuff is good, however. Again, there is little chance this show would ever have seen the light of day if not for this giant thematic collection of goodies. 1972 – Are there any truly bad shows from this year? I think not. This one is marvelous, with only a couple of rough spots and two big jam vehicles to make up for any transgressions. I could see this as a Dave’s Pick, or whatever series you name. It will take its rightful place alongside all other official releases from 1972. You know what to expect here, and you get it.
  • Mr.Dc
    I have enjoyed your 30trips show write ups, thanks for posting.
  • ladwasur
    Default Avatar
    good thing you dont have to pay to watch your seaside chats,, the audio is awful, a little thing called wind makes it worse than listening to an awful audience tape. For somebody who is always picky about sound quality, ya might want to get those things fixed, so its not painful to watch. http://www.worldworx.tv
  • KYTrips
    This is just a REALLY solid show, from beginning to end. There aren't a lot of super highlights, nor are there any clunkers, in my opinion. The Casey Jones opener is really strong, and the rest of the first set just continues in it's footsteps. Again, nothing stand-out, but everything is just really, really good. I particularly enjoyed "Me and Bobby McGee" (which I'm not normally big on) and "Ain't It Crazy (The Rub)". The shortened PITB near the end of the first set is also a nice change from the longer, jammy PITBs that would become the band's norm. The second set also is a good one, with my personal highlights being Truckin', The Other One and NFA. I hate to sound so repetitive, but really, there's nothing bad to say about this show and there are really no stand-out, blow your mind moments. It's just a really good show. Show rating: B+
  • KYTrips
    Moving into a new decade, the Dead don't miss a beat. The first time I listened to this show I was driving my car to work early in the morning. I thought... "Wow... this is a nice "Cold Rain & Snow" opener as it came to a delicious conclusion. Little did I know I was about to be ripped from my peaceful, easy, early-morning bliss by a sound which can only be described as the shriek of a banshee following the opening number. Woooooooo!!!! Ahh... Bobby Weir welcomes us all to Winterland. Let me just say... this show is a GEM. It's got everything I want in a GD show... energy, an interesting setlist, and some top-notch performances. CR&S opener, as mentioned, is a very nice version. It's followed by a great China Cat > Rider, which would only be better if Jerry hadn't screwed up the lyrics at what I believe to be the most critical point of this pairing. "Technical Difficulties" then ensue, which provide for some entertaining on-stage banter, followed by some more blood-curdling screams from Mr. Weir. "Mama Tried" is straight-forward as always, and done well here. Then, the show REALLY starts for me when they break out "It's A Man's World", with Pig laying down the vocals. A song I wish they'd played more often. A very early "Candyman" follows, and you can tell that the boys are still working this one out a bit. A great "Hard to Handle" and an unremarkable "Cumberland Blues" close out the first disc. The second disc starts with a big, fat, tasty "Cryptical Envelopment" sandwich, with "Drums" and some jamming leading into an awesome "The Other One" as the filler in that sandwich. Nicely done, boys! A great version of "Dire Wolf" follows and then the boys stretch their legs and get into "jam mode" and kick into a high-energy "Dancing in the Street". The show closes with an absolutely high-energy, delightful Lovelight > NFA > Lovelight which goes on for about 20 minutes! Overall, a fantastic show with very few "boring" moments for me. High point for me is definitely the first half of the second disc, but it's followed closely by the final 20 minutes of the show. Show grade: A-
  • Sixtus_
    Thanks LoveJerry, glad I'm not the only one this has bothered and that others have noticed. It could have been a fun romp through the melody especially after the absence. We still have our beloved '68's and 69's when there's a hankerin'.... Sixtus
  • LoveJerry
    Sixtus, I was disapointed as well. The 30 Trips 1975 Eleven Jam is not the actual melody that underlies the vocal portion of the The Eleven, it's the bass line that they all jam to during the second part of the Eleven (so for example if you tune into the 10 minute mark of the Two From the Vault version, that's what they're playing on the 30 Trips 1975 Eleven Jam).
  • jrf68@hotmail.com
    First brown of the year today in tha John D. Rockefeller,Jr. Memorial Parkway.(A little slice-o-heaven in between GT & Jellystone) ;0)
user picture

Member for

17 years

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

product sku