• 9 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The live albums the band released during its 30-year career are the primary source for the collection, with some performances selected from the growing number of live releases that have emerged since 1995. Vol. 1 covers 1969-1977 with fan-favorite tracks such as “Bertha” from the 1971 Skull & Roses, and “Truckin’” and a searing rendition of “Morning Dew,” from the revered double-album Europe ’72.

“We wanted to follow up the 2015 The Best Of The Grateful Dead studio set with a live counterpart, and have focused our efforts on the band’s primary live albums as well as some key tracks from archival concert releases,” says band archivist and producer David Lemieux. “Just as there was nothing like a Grateful Dead concert, there is also nothing like a live Grateful Dead recording; it’s no secret that as good as the Dead’s studio recordings were, they excelled in front of an audience, and this set provides an overview of just how great the Dead were live in concert.”

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • zxtttxz
    Hey Zally - thanks for all the information regarding Steppenwolf. "Live in Studio" - I guess that's why there's no information on the record regarding where it was recorded. I recently saw a video on youtube of John Kay performing with Mike Campbell's (ex-Heartbreaker) band. He sounded good - I was a little disappointed he wasn't wearing his sunglasses.
  • BRISO K POOLE
    Default Avatar
    Every time I come to this site I learn something! 1 of my brother's favorite songs, Wharf Rat was recorded from the Fillmore on his birthday Mac would have been 65 this year. He certainly didn't pay attention to this opening lyric ... He was too youngGod bless you Mac we miss ya
  • zally
    Default Avatar
    hi , concerning this live 2 lp set steppenwolf live or now one cd, i must state that it not a really live recording in front of a audience. they recorded it live in the studio and had overdubed appulause on to the tracks. what would be a great reissue is the songs with no overdubed appulause. but sadly steppenwolf is not on anyones radar for a archival issue.if you do like this band find a mono copy of the s./t first lp. that mix is really great, blows away the stereo. in fact when i do play it, the mono is the one.
  • zxtttxz
    I received this record today in the mail. It sounds excellent. The songs do not all run together...there is silence between bands on the record. Probably less than a second. I was interested to see if they would merge the applause from the end of one song to the beginning of the next to make it appear to be a real concert. But they didn't. So it's kind of like the Live Cream album I've been listening to lately. Not like the Steppenwolf Live album where it does sound like one show. (Although I'm not sure....maybe that Steppenwolf Live album really is just one concert....but I think it's songs from various concerts compiled. If you haven't heard it lately I highly recommend a refresher - particularly Monster and Don't Step on the Grass, Sam.)I think I like this record for the same reason I like the Best of Grateful Dead record...sometimes it's nice to just listen to the songs that someone decided were the best versions.
  • Guernsey deadhead
    Default Avatar
    I couldn't pre order from this site so did from Amazon UKVinyl LP arrived today and is very good Only pain is that CD has autorip and vinyl does not No problem I thought a code in the sleeve No code No download - I can copy to tape from vinyl but not to MP3 Album was expensive enough but to buy a download??? Not really Any ideas???? Peter in Guernsey
  • zally
    Default Avatar
    the grateful dead have changed their name to the greedy dead. no new tracks no pigpen songs. a useless release.save your money
  • daverock
    Yes, I have that problem too. I live in England. I have been told its something to do with the security settings on my lap top. I am not sure how to change them, but I have found that I can order things easily enough from the computer in the library in town. This is okay-but if something sells out in 5 minutes, I'd be well stuffed!
  • Guernsey deadhead
    Default Avatar
    I live near the UKHappy to pay additional postage But cart won't let me buy Peter
  • Guernsey deadhead
    Default Avatar
    I live near the UKHappy to pay additional postage But cart won't let me buy Peter
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The live albums the band released during its 30-year career are the primary source for the collection, with some performances selected from the growing number of live releases that have emerged since 1995. Vol. 1 covers 1969-1977 with fan-favorite tracks such as “Bertha” from the 1971 Skull & Roses, and “Truckin’” and a searing rendition of “Morning Dew,” from the revered double-album Europe ’72.

“We wanted to follow up the 2015 The Best Of The Grateful Dead studio set with a live counterpart, and have focused our efforts on the band’s primary live albums as well as some key tracks from archival concert releases,” says band archivist and producer David Lemieux. “Just as there was nothing like a Grateful Dead concert, there is also nothing like a live Grateful Dead recording; it’s no secret that as good as the Dead’s studio recordings were, they excelled in front of an audience, and this set provides an overview of just how great the Dead were live in concert.”

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 4 months

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 4 months

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Yes, I have that problem too. I live in England. I have been told its something to do with the security settings on my lap top. I am not sure how to change them, but I have found that I can order things easily enough from the computer in the library in town. This is okay-but if something sells out in 5 minutes, I'd be well stuffed!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

the grateful dead have changed their name to the greedy dead. no new tracks no pigpen songs. a useless release.save your money
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 4 months

I couldn't pre order from this site so did from Amazon UKVinyl LP arrived today and is very good Only pain is that CD has autorip and vinyl does not No problem I thought a code in the sleeve No code No download - I can copy to tape from vinyl but not to MP3 Album was expensive enough but to buy a download??? Not really Any ideas???? Peter in Guernsey
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

I received this record today in the mail. It sounds excellent. The songs do not all run together...there is silence between bands on the record. Probably less than a second. I was interested to see if they would merge the applause from the end of one song to the beginning of the next to make it appear to be a real concert. But they didn't. So it's kind of like the Live Cream album I've been listening to lately. Not like the Steppenwolf Live album where it does sound like one show. (Although I'm not sure....maybe that Steppenwolf Live album really is just one concert....but I think it's songs from various concerts compiled. If you haven't heard it lately I highly recommend a refresher - particularly Monster and Don't Step on the Grass, Sam.)I think I like this record for the same reason I like the Best of Grateful Dead record...sometimes it's nice to just listen to the songs that someone decided were the best versions.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

hi , concerning this live 2 lp set steppenwolf live or now one cd, i must state that it not a really live recording in front of a audience. they recorded it live in the studio and had overdubed appulause on to the tracks. what would be a great reissue is the songs with no overdubed appulause. but sadly steppenwolf is not on anyones radar for a archival issue.if you do like this band find a mono copy of the s./t first lp. that mix is really great, blows away the stereo. in fact when i do play it, the mono is the one.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

Every time I come to this site I learn something! 1 of my brother's favorite songs, Wharf Rat was recorded from the Fillmore on his birthday Mac would have been 65 this year. He certainly didn't pay attention to this opening lyric ... He was too youngGod bless you Mac we miss ya
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Hey Zally - thanks for all the information regarding Steppenwolf. "Live in Studio" - I guess that's why there's no information on the record regarding where it was recorded. I recently saw a video on youtube of John Kay performing with Mike Campbell's (ex-Heartbreaker) band. He sounded good - I was a little disappointed he wasn't wearing his sunglasses.
product sku