• 200 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    DAVE'S PICKS 2019 SUBSCRIPTION

Well, starting out our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, you might be asking, "how can they outdo the previous 28 Dave's Picks?" We sure are aiming to do so! As you'd expect, we receive many suggestions and requests for releases, and one of the top vote-getters on a consistent basis is 2/26/77, and we're thrilled to start the year with such an exceptional, sought-after show. Just as we started 2018 with an upper-echelon A+ Dead show (11/6/77 Binghamton, NY), that's exactly how we're beginning 2019. And just like the three spectacular shows that followed in 2018 (11/17/71 Albuquerque, NM; 9/2/83 Boise, ID; and 6/17/76 Passaic, NJ), we're planning on an equally strong 2019, filled with surprises and excellent playing throughout. Exciting times ahead! Thanks to everyone who's supported the series both from its inception in 2012, to all of the more recent subscribers. We REALLY appreciate the faith you have in us to consistently deliver great Dead shows to your door four times per year with the Dave's Picks series. We work hard on all aspects of our releases to make sure you'll be as thrilled with the finished, delivered CD as we are. Dave's Picks Vol. 29 will likely go down as one of the most well-received Picks in the series, and the show we're considering for Vol. 30 (plus the Bonus Disc!) will be another smashingly wonderful release. As all of the subscription hoopla indicates, there are plenty of benefits to subscribing, not least of which is ensuring you'll definitely receive all four releases in 2019. It's going to be a great year! Thanks again for coming along for the ride; great times ahead!

David Lemieux

October 2018

You just can't get enough! And neither can we. The Dave's Picks Series is summer love, spring, fall, and winter. So in 2019 we're turning up the Dave's Picks production run to 20,000 of each of the four releases. We've said it before and we'll say it again - while this means there will be more to go around, the best advice we have to give is... subscribe. When these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. Hours. No hyperbole here. The only way to avoid disappointment and be guaranteed all four Dave's Picks in 2019 is to subscribe.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2019, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92). EARLY BIRD SUBS WILL END ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2018 AT 11:59PM.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cactus68
    Default Avatar

I would love to see 6/10/1973 w Allman Bros as a Dave’s Picks release!!

• perithecat

Too true ice cream too true .
    And I always get stuffed with import taxes to the uk when ive paid over the odds on eBay .
    Long live the subscription and all they throw at us in box sets .

• icecrmcnkd

Subscription.

$100 - free shipping, a guaranteed copy (no guarantee that the CDs won’t skip), and a bonus disc.

If you don’t do it you have no one else to blame but yourself.

• perithecat

Fair play and well put . I take on board what you say . To be honest now I’ve got a subscription I guess it’s not really my problem any more and anyone who moans should just do the same . I’m quite lucky as my birthday is a month before Christmas and a couple of weeks after the subscriptions go on sale so it’s the ideal joint present seeing as I never used to know what to say when people ask what I want .
    Hopefully rhino will have a better year of it this year after last years disc skipping fiasco .

• Mind-Left-Body

I once thought the way you do. Then someone on here explained it in a way that makes sense. Which is basically that a third or more go to resellers. With the internet, distribution is simple. We all basiaclly get them at wholesale for a short duration (Dave's Picks subscription period), then the prices go up (eBay period). Rhino isn't going to settle for selling a third less by limiting orders too much. They're much happier selling 20 thousand Dave's Picks a quarter than 12 thousand. Can't blame them, it's a business. And I'm okay with it because 1) I have a subscription, and 2) a shitily run business is always going to go out of business. And then there's no Dead releases for anyone anymore. No thanks, I'd rather see Rhino prosper and I get my 4 releases + box sets. That's how it is and that's best for anyone who wants more Dead.

• perithecat

Loving the artwork and cant wait for it's arrival .

Here's my 2 bob's worth for what its for :-

I'm a newbie on the whole dave's picks scene no 28 was the first one I bought and I subscribed as soon as I could for this years , so that I could complete 2018's collection I ended up paying over the odds on ebay for 25/26&27 and this has got me thinking - surely the maximum purchase should be one per person because as far as I can see people are buying the extra copy for there good friend Mr E.Bay !
    Surely a few copies left in rhinos warehouse alongside happy deadheads is better than unhappy heads having to pay up for someone else's profit .

• cactus68
    Default Avatar

Does anyone know when the CD ships for 2019 subscribers?

• 80sfan
    Default Avatar

Hi everyone - hope you all had a happy new year.

Not sure how many of you are on twitter, but Dave posted this email he got and I felt I had to share...too funny

https://twitter.com/lemieuxdavid/status/1081193251858567168

• cactus68
    Default Avatar
    Plangent Process The Dave's Picks!! (cactus)

I second that motion! The stream on archive.org shows the potential for DP29 and the 1970(SP30) surely needs Plangent.

• RI Tom

I am a longtime subscriber to the series and would like the powers at be to please consider using Plangent Process on all Dave's Picks releases. It's our community's dedication to the highest quality to seek the best, and a show can't sound its best without the Plangent Process. I would pay a premium on the subscription price for Plangent Processed Dave's Picks. Thanks for your consideration!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

DAVE'S PICKS 2019 SUBSCRIPTION

Well, starting out our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, you might be asking, "how can they outdo the previous 28 Dave's Picks?" We sure are aiming to do so! As you'd expect, we receive many suggestions and requests for releases, and one of the top vote-getters on a consistent basis is 2/26/77, and we're thrilled to start the year with such an exceptional, sought-after show. Just as we started 2018 with an upper-echelon A+ Dead show (11/6/77 Binghamton, NY), that's exactly how we're beginning 2019. And just like the three spectacular shows that followed in 2018 (11/17/71 Albuquerque, NM; 9/2/83 Boise, ID; and 6/17/76 Passaic, NJ), we're planning on an equally strong 2019, filled with surprises and excellent playing throughout. Exciting times ahead! Thanks to everyone who's supported the series both from its inception in 2012, to all of the more recent subscribers. We REALLY appreciate the faith you have in us to consistently deliver great Dead shows to your door four times per year with the Dave's Picks series. We work hard on all aspects of our releases to make sure you'll be as thrilled with the finished, delivered CD as we are. Dave's Picks Vol. 29 will likely go down as one of the most well-received Picks in the series, and the show we're considering for Vol. 30 (plus the Bonus Disc!) will be another smashingly wonderful release. As all of the subscription hoopla indicates, there are plenty of benefits to subscribing, not least of which is ensuring you'll definitely receive all four releases in 2019. It's going to be a great year! Thanks again for coming along for the ride; great times ahead!

David Lemieux

October 2018

You just can't get enough! And neither can we. The Dave's Picks Series is summer love, spring, fall, and winter. So in 2019 we're turning up the Dave's Picks production run to 20,000 of each of the four releases. We've said it before and we'll say it again - while this means there will be more to go around, the best advice we have to give is... subscribe. When these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. Hours. No hyperbole here. The only way to avoid disappointment and be guaranteed all four Dave's Picks in 2019 is to subscribe.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2019, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92). EARLY BIRD SUBS WILL END ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2018 AT 11:59PM.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Got the email late last night (or is that early this morning?)

"And with late breaking news, we're thrilled to announce that Dave's Picks Vol. 30 is the complete show from January 2, 1970, at the Fillmore East in New York City"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

You pretty much nailed it icecrmcnkd! But don’t forget about the folks who will complain about how the bonus disc never comes from the 80’s! Bahaha! But will still be a great one.

WOW! I haven't posted since the new site went up, but this news was enough to motivate me.

Listen carefully:
If you haven't subscribed...DO...IT...NOW.

2019 is off to an amazing start. I haven't been this excited about 2 picks announced during the pre-order period since...DaP 5 & 6....maybe. 2/26/77 is a candidate for best show of '77 (which is saying a lot) and the filler Dew from 2/27 makes it a must-have. 1/2-3/70 is prime primal Dead...when was the last time a release had a Dark Star, The Eleven, Other One, and an Alligator all at once? You'd have to go back to the 2/14/68 Road Trip (and that Dark Star wasn't really a Dark Star).

Dave's Picks 2019 has already easily surpassed 2018.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Mr. Jack Straw

...if for nothing else that these first two DaP offerings.

I fully concur with the new News regarding 1/2/70....F'ing A!!

I might just be inspired to go fire up that Dark Star - it's been months since I've delved back into '70.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Back in those days, there were 2 shows per night, early and late show. Which ones will we be getting? The late show on 1/2 has the dark star and the early show on 1/3 has the Alligator, but the late show on 1/3 has the Dancing in the streets. Will they be cutting up these shows to fit them on 4 discs? Can't wait to hear this dark star spruced up, but the question stands, will they chop up these 4 shows to fit them on 4 discs? Will be interesting to see the set lists for this pick when it is released.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Yowwwwwzzzzzaaaaaa!

ps - this website is doing very strange things on my computer today, generating page after page nonstop, having me logged in on some pages but not others, and who knows what else, creating trouble finding the login link, etc.

Missing the old site. Won't be visiting as often until they revisit usability.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I am looking forward to Dap 30. Interesting how the bonus disc addition has been within the same month interval for three years. Dave's Picks 6, 10, and now 30. There is also DaP 19, which also falls into that period.

I have not seen a tracklist for Dave's Picks 30 yet, but I looked at the setlist. I really hope they include Midnight Hour. Dave mentioned how it's difficult to put cover songs on a bonus disc, so hopefully they'll get this on the main release. It would be a very big shame if we were to not get Midnight Hour but we did get another black Peter.

I was aware of this pick due to the email, but I don't see a track listing anywhere on the site. That being said it's a little tough to find things on this site. Has anyone seen a tracklist?

Merry Christmas to all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Well, if a Fillmore East 1970 release couldn't get me to break my posting hibernation on this new site, I don't know what would then. Not sure I will be posting much going forward, it is a wacky shack trying to navigate to where you want to go around here. Then you gotta battle the Captcha monsta once you get there.

But I have to admit that DaP 30 is going to be spectacular (29 ain't too shabby either). The only problem is-- how do we wait until May 1st for this? Off to the Archive, indeed.

Boy are the neighbors going to be pissed the night that this lands...

And if you dig this era, the new Owsley's Sonic Journal from the Allman Brothers is fantastic as well (opening for the GD at Fillmore East February 1970). Get some!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Jack Baller

Has to be the early and late to fill three discs right? I believe this is it but I have no official confirmation:

Early: Mason's Children, Casey Jones, Black Peter, Mama Tried, Hard To Handle, Cumberland Blues, Cryptical Envelopment-> Drums-> The Other One-> Cryptical Envelopment-> Cosmic Charlie

Late: Uncle John's Band > High Time, Dire Wolf, Easy Wind, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Good Lovin' > drums > Good Lovin', Me And My Uncle, Monkey & The Engineer, Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Turn On Your Lovelight

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 4 months

Listening to gd70-01-02.early-late.sbd.cotsman.18120.sbeok.shnf on archive.org. Phil sounds low in this mix. I wonder what kind of remastering will be applied. Plangent? looking forward to this one! Woo hoo!

I'm hoping for 6/10/1973 to be a Dave's Picks one day. Can't get enough 1973!

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Yes, indeed-y, five hours of the GD from the Fillmore East, January 1970, is why I subscribe. Note that that stage had been scorched only 24 hours earlier by my man, Jimi, and his Band of Gypsys. So along come the Dead, with their new sound as well.

No. 31 should be a smokin' 1979 tape, to fill in the gaps. And we have a late '68 tape presumably coming our way with the 50th Aoxomoxoa in early summer. Then there's the next box. I'm feeling a Fall '72 box coming on. That would sell better than anything else at this point. (Please include my first show, 9-19-72. I got in a lot of trouble for skipping school that day...)

Cheers to all! Hope everyone gets a break over the holidaze. Looks like a Grateful New Year (and more indictments).

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I'm subscribed again and with DAP #30, I will most likely get an extra al a cart for a backup since it will get much use. Yippi,Darkstar!!! It was worth the wait. Now I just have to not die till may. You know how Murphys law works. Over and out.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by carlo13

The first two releases of 2018 are from the first show of 1977 and the first show from 1970 (each with filler from the 2nd night of the year).

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

That there is no Dave's seaside chat promoting 1/2/70 and the bonus disc??? I only saw it from an email, and facebook. I can't find anything on the site about the release. Unless I am not getting shown the light!!! So excited for another awesome release. Bob t

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

1/2/1970 was my first show, not counting Woodstock 4 months earlier where we had to take cover from the thunderstorm. I've owned pieces of it in the past, very excited for an official release.

I thought that was a Devo hat you were wearing.

Bobt,
Seaside chat will come when it is time to announce the release of the ala carte orders.

I can't say I am very impressed with the announcement of the next but one Dave's Picks release, which always seems to happen in December. It would be okay if they announced all 4 in advance, so we would know what we were buying, but to release and withhold information to try and increase sales is unworthy, in my books. A bit patronising. It can overshadow the next show due to be released-the 1977 one in this case- and also means that after having two Dave's Picks announcement in short succession, the next one won't be announced for about 7 months.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hi All, I have missed all of you. I haven't been on here in while because well, most us have not been on these pages. Anyway, I am really excited for Dave's Picks 30 (and 29 too). Unlike the Swing 77 show, I have not heard these 1/2/70 or 1/3/70 shows. Several comments ago, someone posed the question of how much of the shows we will get given 4 discs . I went to the most reliable source I know - Deadlists, and I got the timings from all of the shows. We know we are getting the entirety of both the early and late sows from 1/2/70, or at least that is how I read the email announcement. We also know we are getting 2 hours of the 1/3/70 shows. Using the timings from Deadlists, we have the potential over the 4 discs to get all but 25 minutes of the both the 1/3/70 shows. Now this is based purely on the timings given on Deadlists and total time that 4 discs allow. In the past we know things can get wonky with how songs are placed on bonus discs so we nay not have the songs in the correct order/sequence. Also there may be missing songs from 1/3/70...Yet this all speculation. I do feel like we are going to get as much as possible though because in Dave I trust.

A note regarding subscriptions and announcements: Although there is a degree of frustration that could be had not knowing all of the shows that will be released for the entire subscription per year in advance, I will always feel that it is worth the gamble. This series has just been too good and even though there have been a few shows that have fell under the less than stellar umbrella by many Heads estimations, it is all worth it. I have said this before but I can not think of a better way to celebrate and enjoy this band in these days other than knowing that every 3 months I get a complete show delivered to me. I am continually surprised at the number of people that complain that these shows sell out so fast. At this point if people do not subscribe well then they have given up their right to complain because of missing out on the ala carte leftovers.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

...what each release will be. Gives one something to look forward to and maintains just a hint of mystery. It's not like it's going to totally blow, eh? Anyway, I'm a lifetime subscriber. Like, sometimes I listen to the radio. It's nice not having to decide everything.

Swingin' With Django, Django Reinhardt

In The Right Place, Dr. John

Bullitt Soundtrack, Lalo Schifrin

Couldn't Stand The Weather, Stevie Ray Vaughan

9/24/72 At The Palace Theater, Waterbury, CT, Grateful Dead

\m/

..to read what people are listening to at the moment. So-my last 5 are

Hamilton Ontario 3/20/92-The Dead from 30 Trips

Ladies and Gentlemen-The Rolling Stones-dvd Live in Texas 1972

Sun Blues Box (Bear Family) cd 5 Various

Original Delta Blues-1965 recordings Son House

Choose Your Masques Hawkwind

Thinking of the blues-both the last two live bands I saw, Larkin Poe and The Pretty Things played Robert Johnson's "Come On In My Kitchen". Larkin Poe also played songs by Leadbelly, Skip James and Son House. Before playing "Preaching Blues" by Son House, Megan, the singer for Larkin Poe-who looks about 25- told the crowd-a mixture of young people and relics like me-who he was. She finished by shouting "So lets hear it for Son House!"-and all these kids cheered. Very cool. Great that there is still a place for the old blues amidst all the modern crap.

Allman Brothers- 6/24/96 - SPAC

Neil Young - Tonight's the night

Black Crowes- Southern Harmony

Grateful Dead - DaP 22

Allmans - 71 Fillmore east recordings

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by deadtony

I went through the setlist and timings of the two shows and came up with this. It allows for the Dark Star Jam to stay intact on disc 3, and puts most of the 1/3 filler on disc 2.

There's definitely enough time on all 4 CDs, although disc 2 would be VERY crowded. I doubt the Alligator jam would be moved to the bonus disc as it's such a major piece, and the Dancing, Dew, and Midnight Hour would have to be on the main release if they are included since there's no cover songs on bonus discs anymore. I left Casey Jones from the bonus disc as the first verse is missing from the SBD.

If this (completely hypothetical) tracklist is correct, the only tracks we would be missing from 1/3 are Me and My Uncle and Hard To Handle from the Early Show and Casey Jones, Mama Tried, Big Boss Man, and Good Lovin' from the late show.

Disc 1
1. Mason’s Children
2. Casey Jones
3. Black Peter
4. Mama Tried >
5. Hard Two Handle
6. Cumberland Blues
7. That’s It For The Other One
8. Cosmic Charlie
9. Uncle John’s Band >
10. High Time
11. Dire Wolf

Disc 2
1. Easy Wind
2. China Cat Sunflower >
3. I Know You Rider
4. Good Lovin’
5. Morning Dew
6. Alligator >
7. Jam >
8. Alligator >
9. Feedback
10. Dancing In The Street
11. St. Stephen >
12. In The Midnight Hour

Disc 3
1. Me And My Uncle
2. Monkey And The Engineer
3. Dark Star >
4. St. Stephen >
5. The Eleven >
6. Turn On Your Lovelight

Bonus Disc
1. Cumberland Blues
2. Cold Rain And Snow
3. Uncle John’s Band
4. China Cat Sunflower
5. I Know You Rider
6. Mason’s Children
7. That’s It For The Other One
8. Cosmic Charlie
9. Uncle John’s Band
10. Black Peter
11. Dire Wolf

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I would like to add to the chorus of praise for 1 2 70. I still crave somehow someway something from the American Beauty era second half of 1970 ... but a Normanized 1 2 70 with much of 1 3 as bonus material does seem to warrant the 'epic' label.

Combined with 2 26 77, this is one of the great 1-2 punches to begin a Dave's Picks year.

[The chat will come close to when it's released ... right now we just get to know what it is. And I think the balance is good between knowing two of the releases in advance and maintaining mystery for the other two. Revealing all four now would rob us of that wonderful anticipation we get to feel in July and October when releases 3 and 4 are announced.]

DaP predictions:
No, not what will be released, but which discs of DaP 29 and 30 will be defective. Or even more specifically, which songs.
I’m calling for Terrapin on 2-26-77; and Dark Star and Cosmic Charlie on DaP 30.

For those who won’t subscribe without knowing all four releases, here’s what’s headed your way:
DaP 31: 3-9-81
DaP 32: 10-31-91

I’m not making that up, the reCAPTCHA gnomes told me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Marshall Tucker - Where we all Belong

Chris Hillman - Morning Sky

Billy Bean - The Trio

Schubert - Trout Quintet

Daniel Barenboim - Mahler's 7th Symphony

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My first Grateful Dead concert. Back before the term dead head applied to us "kids". 15 years old at that time, 40 at my last Dead show in Salt Lake City, February 1995. Happy Winter Solstice.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

That is cool that your first show you attended finally gets released. Do you remember any of the show? That was a long time ago. Do you remember how much it cost? I remember my first show but not the price of admission. Funny how the memory is.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Most of my last five is Christmas music, and I saw the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra perform Handel's Messiah at a huge, old, beautiful cathedral last night. There are moments in that work where the doors between dimensions are blown wide open, similar to how things happen during some of the best of the good ol' Grateful Dead.

Ice Cream Kid, I'm down with your Dave's Picks rumors . . .

Have a Jerry Christmas, and a Happy New Weir everyone!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 7 months

I have always loved 1/2 and 1/3/70, though I was kind of hoping they would make a box of those and the Boston New Year's run. I listened to 12/31/69 last night - such a fun, unique jam sequence to start the 70's.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Dave's got the stuff! Dark Star, check - now how about a monster Shakedown Street this year Dave?

Top 5 stage calls......
1 - Bob - "You can stop hollering requests for songs we already played tonight. One time a night is all we can remember em"
2 -Bob - "We'll be doing a lot of songs you may not have heard for the first part of the show"
Jerry - "That's alright - there all pretty good - or at least new"
3 - Phil - "No more whistling from the cheap seats"
4 - Jerry - "If you're standing in front of a spotlight, all the spotlight guys are going crazy cause they can't see anything. So if you're standing in front of a spotlight, move away from it - if you care - that is if you care - you don't have to"
5 - Bob - Dick's 10 Winterland open.....the just exactly perfect brothers band intro

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Last 5

4/4/71
12/18/73
1/10/79 (excellent AUD on archive - very even recording - contains most of the big ones from Shakedown Street + Dark Star).
12/26/69
11/7/69
7/22/72

Mr. Jack Straw - I'd be very pleased if your projected track list comes to fruition for DaP 30.

Lovemygirl - nope, still haven't bought a gift for Mrs Keithfan. I'm leaning toward the same thing you got for your wife, with the day at the spa and the tickets to Broadway.

Daverock, I'm also a huge fan of that 1972 Ladies and Gentlemen...the Rolling Stones concert compilation. Aside from get your ya-yas out, it was the first thing I saw from the live Mick Taylor era. I don't think a lot of people realize how good the Stones sounded back then, because they've only recently released any of the live stuff. I had one of my most incredible non-concert experiences one night when I stumbled upon that highlight film from the Exile on Main St. tour.

Marinsmith, a couple of my favorite stage calls:

4/14/72 -

Bobby "We have an equipment breakdown, and we're going to fix it shortly and will be right with you."

Fan: "Bullllll shit!"

Pigpen: " that man must be from America."

Jerry: "hey well it's, we just want to get high between songs, isn't that all right? Thank ya!"

4/27/72 -

Bobby: " can someone turn the monitors up?..... for fuck's sake..."

11/17/71 (after false start to Sugaree) -

Phil: "hold it, hold everything"

Jerry: "We're new here...."

8/25/72 -

Bobby: " every year in Kentucky they have what's called a hollerin contest..."

Jerry (interrupting): " this ain't Kentucky man!"

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Yes, The Stones with Mick Taylor was their best era for me. Another great live album from those years is one called Brussels Affair from 1973. I am not sure how available it is now-but its The Stones at the absolute peak of their powers. The Midnight Rambler on here is incredible.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yeah Daverock, thanks for mentioning the Brussels Affair. I downloaded it off the Rolling Stines website around the time I discovered Ladies and Gentlemen. That Midnight Rambler smokes, and Brussels also probably has my favorite YCAGWYW. I have a best-of mix playlist that includes those two tracks. Need more live Taylor era. Wish he hadn't left.

Have you seen The Stones in Exile documentary film? It covers the making of Exile on Main Street, which, is probably my favorite moment in the history of rock music (i.e. the couple months they spent living at Richards' 20 bedroom mansion villa in France making the record). I would love to have been a guest....

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

No, I haven't seen that-in fact I am pleased to see you recommend it, Keith-I might pop over to Amazon in a minute and see if they can deliver for Christmas.

The first time I saw The Stones was in September 1973, in Manchester, when I was 16, and I have loved them ever since. It seems crazy now, but I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy the show. I hadn't heard many of their albums, but had bought Goats Head Soup, the 1973 album in preparation. It seemed okay-but a bit tame-maybe a bit old fashioned. At that time, the gigs I had been to had been the full on assaults of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple Hawkwind etc-as well as David Bowie and T. Rex. The Stones seemed...old. But, man, as soon as they hit the stage and cracked open Brown Sugar, I was gone. And I have never gone back.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

been a while

1/2/70 gets a Meg Ryan in the restaurant reaction, but real, not fake.

When 6/10/73 and 11/19/72 get released, I will do triple Megs for reals.

been taking some chances...Swans, anyone? Godflesh, anyone? Metallica albums 2, 3, 4, anyone?

12/31/69...check that one out, my friends.

5/26/72...:)))

here's to an amazing, rewarding 2019.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

"You know you're a dead head when....."

I drove the 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Ventura to San Bernardino's Swing Auditorium to see a show that, as it turned out, was EPIC (remember the big banner w/art work behind the band?).

The nest day, late Sunday morning, I'm reading in the newspaper the local events listing, it mentions the Grateful Dead playing that evening at the University of California Santa Barbara, Robertson Gym.

"Wuh?"

I did not go.
Even though UCSB was only 45 minutes away.
I soon found out from people who went to both shows that the Swing show in San Berdoo was THE ONE.
And years later I graciously received a pristine Betty Board Tape of THE ONE.

Sometimes it works out just right for reasons of, well, no reason.
Just the positive roll of Laughing Sam's Dice.

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

I am a longtime subscriber to the series and would like the powers at be to please consider using Plangent Process on all Dave's Picks releases. It's our community's dedication to the highest quality to seek the best, and a show can't sound its best without the Plangent Process. I would pay a premium on the subscription price for Plangent Processed Dave's Picks. Thanks for your consideration!

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Loving the artwork and cant wait for it's arrival .

Here's my 2 bob's worth for what its for :-

I'm a newbie on the whole dave's picks scene no 28 was the first one I bought and I subscribed as soon as I could for this years , so that I could complete 2018's collection I ended up paying over the odds on ebay for 25/26&27 and this has got me thinking - surely the maximum purchase should be one per person because as far as I can see people are buying the extra copy for there good friend Mr E.Bay !
Surely a few copies left in rhinos warehouse alongside happy deadheads is better than unhappy heads having to pay up for someone else's profit .

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I once thought the way you do. Then someone on here explained it in a way that makes sense. Which is basically that a third or more go to resellers. With the internet, distribution is simple. We all basiaclly get them at wholesale for a short duration (Dave's Picks subscription period), then the prices go up (eBay period). Rhino isn't going to settle for selling a third less by limiting orders too much. They're much happier selling 20 thousand Dave's Picks a quarter than 12 thousand. Can't blame them, it's a business. And I'm okay with it because 1) I have a subscription, and 2) a shitily run business is always going to go out of business. And then there's no Dead releases for anyone anymore. No thanks, I'd rather see Rhino prosper and I get my 4 releases + box sets. That's how it is and that's best for anyone who wants more Dead.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

Fair play and well put . I take on board what you say . To be honest now I’ve got a subscription I guess it’s not really my problem any more and anyone who moans should just do the same . I’m quite lucky as my birthday is a month before Christmas and a couple of weeks after the subscriptions go on sale so it’s the ideal joint present seeing as I never used to know what to say when people ask what I want .
Hopefully rhino will have a better year of it this year after last years disc skipping fiasco .

Subscription.

$100 - free shipping, a guaranteed copy (no guarantee that the CDs won’t skip), and a bonus disc.

If you don’t do it you have no one else to blame but yourself.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Too true ice cream too true .
And I always get stuffed with import taxes to the uk when ive paid over the odds on eBay .
Long live the subscription and all they throw at us in box sets .

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-2019-subscription.html