• 220 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    As we head into our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, we're as excited as we were in mid-2011 when we conceived of the future of the Grateful Dead's archival release series. We had a clear vision, a terrific team that is still largely in place, and unlimited enthusiasm for the series, and the Dead's music. Now, almost 10 years later, we are just as excited about the Dave's Picks series as we were then. Even more so, actually. We've increased the amount of CDs we press to ensure that it's available much more widely, and we've dug very deep into the vault to make sure that we continue to produce A+ Grateful Dead concerts into what we hope will be cornerstones of your music collection for decades to come. We look back on our 2019 releases, with concerts from 1977, very early 1970 (might as well be 1969), late 1979 (might as well be 1980), and our final installment of the year, from 1973, and it thrills us to see such variety and excellence, which we hope to match (and ideally surpass!) in 2020. Beginning the year with the classic 10/29/77 show from DeKalb, we're already giddy at what's shaping up to be another great year in the Grateful Dead archival release world.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for coming along on the Dave's Picks journey. It's been an incredible trip so far, one we hope to keep going for many years, and we owe it all to your interest, support, and input. We love what we do because you continue to dig what we do.

Summer love, spring, fall, and winter - you can do the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2020 subscription. To accommodate the increased demand, we're taking the production run up to 22,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2020 releases. As always, your best bet is to subscribe because when these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. No joke - hours.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2020, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

Tried that e-mail, it bounced back...…………….

Doc

• mark_mumper

Contact Dave via vault@dead.net or Twitter @lemieuxdavid

• hitmeister
    Default Avatar

I have mixed feelings about these releases,. 10/29/77 is a classic, and arguably the best show of the year, but there's already a pristine SBD recording of it available. It's questionable how much of an upgrade this will be.

The same can be said for the Miami show.

• icecrmcnkd

PM’s currently don’t work.

I think that Dave/GD can be contacted via Twitter or Facebook.

• Forensicdoceleven

Is there a way to contact Dave Lemieux? I have pictures of the 6/23/74 show, wasn't sure if the Dead might be interested for the upcoming release.

Please advise via PM ASAP...……….

Rock on,

Doc

• Dennis

Will take some fine trimmin' to get that sugar mag on! I have it clocking in at about 83. Copy of this show I have sounds very nice. Listening to that 30, ok 28, minute Playin',,, nice light spacey jam,,,, nice recording.

ok, my mistake, that sug mag has at least 3 minutes of cheering!

• daverock

Great choice. I have always loved the excerpt on So Many Roads, but have never heard what lead into it or out of it before, so this is...great! Most exciting release for a while, I would say.

• SPACEBROTHER

50th Workingmans Dead and American Beauty, plus Record Store Day and a box. Not to forget about the Jerry vault releases. Can't keep up.

The new Band of Gypsies release is on my wishlist. Really looking forward to hearing that.

Received the Zappa Hot Rats Sessions for Christmas. Getting ready to dive into that. Hot Rats is the Zappa album that is a safe pick for people who might grapple with his political incorrecectness, but appreciate some fine jamming. I see his name mentioned here periodically. The Grand Wazoo and Sleep Dirt also fit the "safe" introductory into the catalogue of a genius.

• mhammond12

Bearded skeleton mermaids.

• fourwindsblow

Playing In The Band 28:48.39
    China Cat Sunflower -> 9:51.29
    I Know You Rider 5:38.72
    Eyes Of The World -> 15:14.47
    Wharf Rat -> 9:51.51
    Sugar Magnolia 9:28.73

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

As we head into our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, we're as excited as we were in mid-2011 when we conceived of the future of the Grateful Dead's archival release series. We had a clear vision, a terrific team that is still largely in place, and unlimited enthusiasm for the series, and the Dead's music. Now, almost 10 years later, we are just as excited about the Dave's Picks series as we were then. Even more so, actually. We've increased the amount of CDs we press to ensure that it's available much more widely, and we've dug very deep into the vault to make sure that we continue to produce A+ Grateful Dead concerts into what we hope will be cornerstones of your music collection for decades to come. We look back on our 2019 releases, with concerts from 1977, very early 1970 (might as well be 1969), late 1979 (might as well be 1980), and our final installment of the year, from 1973, and it thrills us to see such variety and excellence, which we hope to match (and ideally surpass!) in 2020. Beginning the year with the classic 10/29/77 show from DeKalb, we're already giddy at what's shaping up to be another great year in the Grateful Dead archival release world.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for coming along on the Dave's Picks journey. It's been an incredible trip so far, one we hope to keep going for many years, and we owe it all to your interest, support, and input. We love what we do because you continue to dig what we do.

Summer love, spring, fall, and winter - you can do the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2020 subscription. To accommodate the increased demand, we're taking the production run up to 22,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2020 releases. As always, your best bet is to subscribe because when these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. No joke - hours.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2020, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

It seems that all I can do is subscribe and not pay for the subscription - what's up???

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

Ordered
OH YEAH!!!!!!
HAPPY TUESDAY INDEED
PLAY DEAD & PLAY DEAD LOUD!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Best way to be guaranteed some happiness this coming year! If it's not working for you, do not put your address in manually. Start typing it and then let their autofill do the rest, that's the only thing that's ever worked for me on this new system for pre-orders. When I type my address in, it gives an error message every time.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Take my money please

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

...I agree with Icecrmcnid.
Take my money. Just take it I say!

Subscribe is an important word here people.

Looking forward to another great year of releases.
Thanks Dave & Co.

Sixtus

P.S. Got the tip for this offering via the e-Almanac that just hit my email. And a teaser was also tossed out there on the DaP32 board earlier today and BAM! here it is...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

Going to reveal the first show to be released for 2020 is but I'm sure we will all have a real good time. Great selection Dave what a way to bring in 2020!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

When you can just order one time, save money doing, and never have to worry about sell outs or computer glitches for the next full year there is no room for the complaining with each individual release. Subscribing is like a huge hit of high grade indica - you can just settle back and let the anxiety wash away

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

"As always, your best bet is to subscribe because when these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. No joke - hours." Right there in print. No one can say they weren't warned.

Now the only question is whether I should get my subscription right now, or later today. Oh, who am I kidding.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

The Dekalb, IL, show was a staple tape in my collection in, like 1980, so although I've had my fill of '77, there's always a show that makes me forget what years I care most about. This show, if memory serves, is a screamer -- and I tossed most of my GD cassettes long ago. Looking forward to it.

And it's good to hear that vault show demand is sufficient for them to up the per release quantities, so this carnival will be 'Goin' down the road, feeling good'....

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

I look forward to 1/31/2020, 5/1/2020, 7/31/2020 and 10/30/2020...
Hence in 2020 I'll have at least four days of good news!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Will subscribe again. Been ecstatic about every one, especially now that the variety factor is there.

This series has really opened me up to era's I had long neglected throughput my cassette collecting days. I tended to seek out current stuff and some of the popular favorites.

Listening to Dick's Picks 2 today I think I would be ready for a '71 box. My idea would be to include every line-up from that formative year. One with Mickey still in before leaving, one post Mickey leaving, one with Keith on his first tour then one when Pick an returns.

Of course that Alpine '89 CD/DVD Box is still on my mind.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

just give me until payday (FRIDAY) and I'll fork over my money.

DeKalb...nice

way back when I was a chile, there was an advertisement jingle for some farming product called DeKalb.

"you can count on DeKalb..."

shonuff and yes I do

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I had slight problems entering my address but apart from that the process was easy. As Dave said in the video, if you don’t like a show you can always give it away. Since I find pleasure in all eras of the band I’m happy to get any shows. I look forward to seeing what else gets released in 2020.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'm having a hard time trying to preorder this. I click preorder and it seems like it's just freezes. I've been a subscriber since day one. This doesn't look good.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

I like free stuff too!

Sam Spade
I am in the UK and was able to subscribe. Try again when the feeding frenzy has died down. Good luck.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

I could order it! I look forward to Dave´s Picks 2020. Vol. 33 looks fine.

It took a few goes for me, here in sunny England...I had to keep confirming my address for some reason...but now I am in, and all the better for it.

It took a few goes for me, here in sunny England...I had to keep confirming my address for some reason...but now I am in, and all the better for it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

....they should really put a little more effort into that crappy "Free Instant Download Graphic" that comes with your purchase. I know it's free and all, but it's literally been the same one for years...maybe change it up a bit. Thanks. Oh, and speaking of "Free"...the annual "Thirty Days of the Dead" starts this weekend...can't wait, and this year I'm winning something dammit!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

No prob on the order front, let's pray on the delivery front.

Quick check of my copy of this show sounds very nice, official should be outstanding.

Look forward to another years worth.

Enjoy

Sidenote - Peri, back on the G&T's, amen!

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Don’t recall ever getting it on CD-R.
It will be a whole new listen with Normanization vs hissy cassette.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Just put my order in and I am ready for 2020, Dave? Any chance of a NYE show for a Dave's Picks? 84-85 was great!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I'm a changed man. I don't feel much anger anymore about anything. Think of this post as Mister Rogers speaking to you. The cursing is for emphasis only.

Where the fuck is 1972? It's been 2 years since we've had a '72 show. Before that we are talking about 30 Trips in 2015. Not accessible to everyone but still 4 fuckin years ago. DaP 14 barely counts. More like a sound check or a late '71 show. DaP 11 was 5 years ago. No box set. What the shit fuck is going on? Their best year and Dave's hogging them in the vault to himself, having a good wank I'm sure. There was NO Road Trips 1972. We're talking 2 shows in10 years that weren't part of a $500+ box set. What the fuckety fuck fuck is going on?

Excellent seaside chat (except for the KGB agent that paddle boarded past, probably doing reconnaissance so Count Vlad can attempt to get the Vault back).
Packed full of information if you look at it right.
If Dave doesn’t read these boards then someone is at least telling him what is being said. He made several references to what has been said over the last few months (what guitar Jerry was playing, not being part of the retail side, shipping).
Glad they want to keep releasing as long as we keep buying.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

its time for me to chime in. I was on summer tour for both the 89 and the 91 tours. only missed buffalo 89 and one show outside detroit in 91 just after the giants show. i saw the throwing stones show and was chased by horseback and guards around the show. I think is was called pine knob. anyway the only Dire Wolf i ever saw was on the run through the trees being chased by cops on horseback who were gonna win for sure. But what was great was as I was chased I got to spend a minute or two watching Garcia sing dont murder me it was the only time i got to see him sing that song although it was through the fence outside. meanwhile back to giants 91. first off back to 89 i was there on 2 hits when shakedown started. off the charts. but when 91 came about they had played dark star at RFK. and it stood to grateful dead reason that they would finish DARK STAR the second night at giants. MORE TO COME LATER>

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Are they using the NHL refs from the 2019 playoffs to umpire this game? What a total bullshit call.

The feeling is mutual.

What’s worse is the guy was safe anyway.

Good luck to your Golden Knights this year. Even as a Red Wings fan, I’ve jumped on the Sabres and Oilers as my sleeper teams.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

The Red Wings actually won last night.
Woo Hoo!

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Have had a soundboard bootleg of this show for years, and what a show it is. Starts off rocking with Jerry doing the BOAT version of Might as Well and just rocks on from there. It's October, it's two days before all hallows eve and it's 1977. What I really like about this show is the inclusion of Space, one of the first jams to be called that if I recollect. Then a St. Stephen, then drums, don't recall that ever being done before. Stand out versions of Must have been the roses, Jack Straw, Ramble on Rose, a beautiful Loser and that's just the first set. That second set is just so sweet, with the above mentioned space>Stephen>drums>not fade away but opens with Friend of the Devil one of the first Estimated Profits and an on fire Eyes. A well done Black Peter and a Sugar Mag>SSDD that rocks the house down. Sub ordered and this pick crosses off another show that needed to be released in all it's glory. It's well recorded and sounds great, don't know how Mr. Norman is going to make it sound any better, but I cant wait to hear if he does, cause it sure sounds really good now. Thanks Dave and keep up the good work. Now, lets get that Gainesville show released, it's time Dave, if you made that show the second pick, this sub would sell out in no time.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

While I do appreciate Dave releasing the subscriptions on 10/29 with the announcement of 10/29/77 as the first pick of the year, I just needed him to wait until payday (Friday.) Now, I am going to sweat, thinking that the subs will sellout before I get the chance, though I know that is not true.

Funny how I really don't get like this about any other purchase, but when it comes to these limited Dead releases, all common sense goes right out the window.

Peace

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Agree on the sound quality, my copy of this show is GREAT. Hard to see the release being that much better, but get it to me posthaste :-) The Loser is very nice indeed.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Yes, and we get another fantastic late fall 77 release, can't wait! This will be better than the circulated SBs for sure. Norman is a master. Those SBs are not mastered, just the live mix.
And our fearless leader Dave, you think at some point Rhino would say hey Dave before you go pitch the Dave's Picks subscriptions please learn what the benefits are to subscribing, cost, free shipping, early bird discount, bonus disc, etc. Instead Dave still does not know the pricing, love it! "I don't know"
That's Otis, don't worry you will be able to get the early bird until at least November 18? I believe. These have never sold out and if they were getting close I bet they would send out an email saying only 1000 left, let's hope.

Anybody receive a shipping notification for #32?

Been listening to the 73 30 Trips show again recently, what a great show, sound quality might be better than Dave's 5.
And thank you to one of regulars that hooked me up with this show! Awesome stuff!

I had a hard time last night trying to place my order. I was connected to wi-fi on my laptop and phone. Wheels kept on turning. I shut the wi-fi off on my phone and was able to place my order right away.. Try it.

Wharfrat Whitey, thanks so much for the tip to turn off the WiFi for the phone! I was struggling all day yesterday and this morning with that spinning wheel. Order placed. Super psyched for DeKalb! 👍

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Was curious how they'd either top or equal last year's subscription launch with the Swing. This one is another pleasant surprise. A Normanized DeKalb 77 is definitely a great way to kick off the new year.

Subscribed. Now all I have to do is kick back and wait for it to arrive.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I had to follow the tips on this board (thanks, you know who you are!) and use my phone, with wifi turned off. I generally prefer to use my PC for these things.

Tried my PC at home with Windows 10, both Google Chrome and Microsfoft Edge. Stuck on the spinning wheel of death. Came to work today, tried two different PC's with both of the above options, same thing.

What the hell is going on here? Thank God I was able to order on my phone.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Been raining for days but got confirmation on DP 32 and successfully ordered sub for 2020. Now to sit back and wait for 32 to get here and some sunshine to brighten the weekend. Can't wait for Dekalb, 2020 gonna be good!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-2020-subscription.html