• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

ah.. don't pay attention to me. I'm just a little miffed that I thought I had subscribed and low and behold I got shut out of the Ripple year. I have been buying all the archival releases since One From the Vault and haven't skipped a beat. Now I have a hole in my collect and I'm just not gonna buy these singles on the secondary market. Not gonna do it.

So my interest has waned...

What are they? The last one closed quite a few years ago in my town. The nearest one is quite a distance, and as I don't drive now or use public transport if I can help it, online is my only option. It would be better buying them from an independent shop - I used to buy from them when they were here, and always headed in their direction when I went to London. 5/9/77 cost me £99.00 last night, which is about 75 dollars - I'm not sure how much it cost on RSD.

I do remember going to a shop on RSD about 10 years ago. There was a queue outside! Screw that. I'm not keen on the concept of limited editions, either.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

I lost the love for vinyl over thirty odd years ago, when I moved so many times in my younger years, I realized carting a collection of albums from here to there was a real pain. As well, they are finicky, in that the slightest misstep can cause a major skip. Hard to display reasonably too. So many covers get scuffed just by storage (or a “friend” who uses your cover of Traffic’s “Shootout At The Fantasy Factory” to cut up his stash with a razor) I sold my vinyl collection about fifteen years ago, and no regrets. While RSD is a noble idea, I agree with other posters in that great record stores of yesterday don’t exist now, only a few major chains, and you know they don’t carry anything more cutting edge than Beyoncé. People swear there is an incredible audio difference, but honestly, having not the ear of a Brian Wilson or a George Martin, CDs sound pretty awesome to me on a great system. Finally, the price is just prohibitive. You would have to be highly selective in your choices. As I own a few thousand CDs, I find it easy to take a flyer on an artist or band you may be curious about, without the oxygen-sucking price. Used CDs, generally, hold up well. Storage and display is great, and you generally still get the cool cover art and inserts.

So if Dave Lemieux and the good people behind the scenes continue to produce these great CD offerings, including box sets, with top notch production and art work, then RSD to me is just another day on the calendar. Even my kids, late 20s and early 30s in age, prefer to download their collections, for all the reasons I listed for vinyl.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

No local record shops here either.. it's a couple hour drive to the closest one.

I befriended the owner of a (not really) local record store a few years back. Each year I ask him if it would be possible to get a copy of the Deads offering and drop it in the mail and promise to keep it on the down low. So far so good.. I don't think it violates ethics, I am supporting a local shop. It sure does save a lot of fossil fuel, time and money. I just can't get there in person.

Still.. all this is on the down low, I would hate to get anyone in trouble and I would hate to miss 5/9/77 in all it's vinyl glory.

Gave a great rest of the week all.. now what to play? Got some chores to do...

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

That's right, the greatest record store of all time, type in Village Music Mill Valley to read about it. We used to go there and spend hours in there, you could spend lots of time just looking at all the cool stuff on the walls. I remember there was a John Cipolina guitar hung up on the wall. We would go across the street and have pizza and beer when we were done, then we would drive down to Down Home Music in El Cerrito another great record store. Great times!

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Does anyone think we're going to get another box set in 2020? Im pulling for a 72 fox run box!

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Someone mentioned a June July 73 GD & ABB box set, that would be a holy grail for sure and id Actually prefer that over the 72 fox run box but dont see it happening right now, but who knows!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

In reply to by InfiniteJest

My local record shop closed 30 plus years ago, I was always keen to visit and have a good browse, a lot of the records that I was after had been deleted in the record companies infinite wisdom at the time. However, I could browse in there for hours with my pals and always come away with something off my radar.
Fast forward now and the Record companies are using the RSD as a way of shafting music fans into spending a lot of money on an exclusive limited edition of some shelved recording that was not deemed fit for release at the time, or a reissue of a great recording on some coloured vinyl, from a sub-standard recording of the original.
It's nice to see an issue of a recording that was only previously available on CD, but it is always at an inflated price and you have the anxiety of trying to find a copy in a far-flung record shop or a scalper on the internet. I have brought some records on RSD, but it was several years back. If you really want something, I find it turns up eventually one day at a price that is more than pleasing after all the hype of the day.
Apologies for the rant, but experience has taught me, buyer beware, I tend to look at what I have got, and be thankful rather than what I haven't got, even though we all need more GD recordings, we are a lucky lot.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Billy - I used to go to Village pretty often, the inventory was incredible; got a bunch 40's Grand Ole Opry tapes there, and lotsa' Motown. Down Home Music is still open.

No, it doesn't look like there will be a second box set for 2020, which is a bummer. DL mentioned Norman is currently working on the 2021 box set. ☹️

I like your Wall of Sound pic.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

There was a David Lemieux special on SiriusXM today at 4. The topic, the American Beauty 50th Anniversary Box Set which was apparently AB + 2/18/71 at the Capitol Theatre.

So that is the late in the year item they were working on on one of his seaside chats that lots of people assumed was going to be the second box set.

..at least that's my take on events.

I have no friggin' clue what the 2021 box set might be. This one is a pure mystery.

Fox on the run
You scream and everybody comes a-runnin'

Anyone else remember that lil tune?

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Sox White
Sox Red
Dox-ology
Jox-er
Knox-ville
Pox
Vox populi

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....if they toured with Spinal Tap, I would totally mail order.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Im thinking maybe the bonus material for Daves 37 could be the playin sandwich from 4/21/78 in lexington, Playin>drumz>Stella Blue>Truckin>Playin!

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Well I never fail to learn something on this board! Thank you DeadHead Brewer for setting me straight on that one...guess it makes sense, and with a perfect year to end it on 2021...something we can all hopefully look forward to I guess.

Honestly, I had no idea the dead only released 21 singles....that said, I still wish they would continue for reasons previous mentioned...other studio cuts or something on 7!inch singles, but I digress...

Again, thanks for the GD knowledge...always good thing to have 😉

Oh and...just finished the vinyl 05/09/77....sweet sounding indeed!! Get it now before it’s really over priced. I still regret my decisions on the Cornell Vinyl which is very difficult to find at this point.

Be well all!

KCJ

Sorry...almost forgot....Dave Rock! Gong, Live at Sheffield....this is some out there stuff!!! My copy is the red and green vinyl. I especially like Side D Titicaca (Live at Glastonbury 89). That one hits the sweet spot for me!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

You like the post and can't wait to see the post about your post? Wow....spambots and malware AI is getting REALLY lazy. I think you'll find this post and link really interesting....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Early on, I was thinking 4/16 but since have been converted to 4/18 being the better choice to round out the set. April '78 really floats my boat. Some days that 4/24 Terrapin>Drums>NFA sequence is what I just HAVE to hear...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I haven't subscribed, but half way through 5/14 I am beginning to wonder if I should after all. Not got to the second set, but the first is excellent. Maybe I'll go for a la carte on this one, in anticipation of more late period shows to follow. Maybe I should just be happy with the 78 shows I've already got. Its a conundrum.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

And the musical box...

Fox on the Run Ace-ified

https://youtu.be/iUnS_ZKPNbA

Love this guy. Did you pick up his Anomaly album Mind Left Body? Way better than I ever expected. Closest thing to his '78 solo record he's ever done IMHO.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I've got the full set which features Titicaca-Live at Glastonbury 1989. If you fancy a copy its no problem.
Curiously I actually have the guitar its played on. I bought it off Daevid Allen about 23 years ago. It doesn't play so well, but hey..

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Where did that come from? It looks like they will be putting out an unsigned version; just give them your e-mail address for in stock notification. If anybody wants to sell, $$$, send me a PM.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Well, we've had a '76 box this year, '89-'91 last year, '73-'74 in 2018, and before that plenty of '77 and '78.

This year we got 'bonus' '71 shows.

Using very loose logic, '72 would indeed seem to be the year whose time is nigh. Especially as Dave could tee up a 6-show box and not really dent the fall '72 supply.

I gotta dream, based on external, er, events....

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

I picture Dave down in his dungeon reading these threads yelping out a maniacal, evil laugh every time someone makes a box set suggestion.. then doing the opposite purely for spite. Evil laughs waft into the living space upstairs as he squashes our hopes and dreams for that perfect release.

I picture Mrs. Dave pacing pensively upstairs unsure what to do when he gets this way.. Clearly too much evil to confront, the risks too high.

I don't think Dave knows just how fragile we are. He should just buckle and give HF his '72 box before things get much worse. These are dire times Dave, why do you mock us so!! Lock up your evil lair for good and give us a string of Fall '72 monster shows. It would be good for us and good for you.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

36 years ago today I was at the Berkeley Community Theatre for a another cool show, fun city, what a great run of shows!

...actually spinning 10/30/84 now. It's been a pretty tasty ride; I'm about to get into the Eyes at this particular moment. Strong playing.
Right on.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

If anyone is interested Strange Attractor are putting out an autobiography

Muse, Odalisque, Handmaiden
A Girl’s Life in The Incredible String Band
by Rose Simpson

The limited hardback version is due in November and a paperback in December.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Right up my alley! I've been doing all kinds of 1984 since Proudfoot sent me scurrying toward 10/08/84. Just now loaded up 10/28/84, then came on here to find that others were of the same mind. I've not spent much time in 1984 before this DaP, but have to admit that I'm loving it. To me, when Jerry solos in 1983 and 1984 it's very personal and introverted and unique; he's not just trying to play what fits or what the song is expecting from him.

Second box in 2020--Dave specifically stated that there was one on tap, but perhaps Rhino pointed out just how much extra stuff (WD and AB) they were putting out this year, or decided that with so many people suffering financially that they should shelve the project? My bet for the next box is still the remainder of the February Capitol run. They've obviously been spending some time with that batch of multi-tracks . . .

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I cannot possibly be more on board with a 1972 box set. Personally I'd like at least 10 shows, but realistically I'll settle for 6.

Or even better, I'd love it if they went with my "Dark Star Constellation" proposal, which is a 20 show Super Box with all Dark Star shows; at least 8 would come from 1972. I can picture the box.... Black with white dots all over it and a stealy constellation on the top or in the middle or something. They need to strike while the Iron's hot. IMHO I think Dead and Co has made the Grateful Dead more popular than any time since the Dick's Picks series ended. For cumulative sales I think they need to release a big bundle right now or risk losing out down the road.

The Super Box has paid off twice now. It was four years between Europe '72 and 30 Trips Around the Sun. I can't think of a better concept to market a large quantity of shows at this point. I emailed both Dave and Dr. Rhino last year. We are due for Super Box....

I, too, have been dragged down the '84 BCT run thanks to Billy the Kid. I brought up 10/30 on the Pick of the Day thread yesterday. Sometimes I have a itch that needs scratching, something off the beaten path. 10/30 did the trick.

Plus, I have been in the mood for some alternative Scarlet Fires. Something about the mountains of peppers I chopped yesterday. My hands still sting a bit and I dare not rub my eyes, 14 hours later.

Anyway.. it's funny what inspires us here.

JIM:...LOL, staring Montgomery Burns as David Lemieux!

SWEET: wow there’s a fun blast from the past! Also Barroom Blitz and Little Willy, too funny...

KEITHFAN: DS Constellation box....sign me up!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Came back from being out of town to several releases on sale, GarciaLive, the 45's and Dave's. Glad I didn't get shut out of any of them.

Is this the last year for the 45's? That went fast.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

Does anyone know if the rfk 1989 box is actually still available? Ive sent a couple emails to customer service with no answer... its still available for purchase on the website but on the thread someone said they had ordered it in june and as of late August they still hadn't received it...

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by InfiniteJest

I believe it's still available. If you go to the store and type it in the search box it brings you to a part of Dead.net even they don't know about.

Clearly the brainchild of their crack marketing team..
"......hey, lets hide the RFK page so nobody can find it or buy the box. This is sure create a feeling of exclusivity and create demand for this wonderful piece of music the likes the world has never seen..."

(and by CRACK marketing team, I mean clearly they have been smoking too much crack)

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Somehow I ended up with 2. I would entertain trade offers, but for some reason I have a feeling this one will be staying in the plastic for quite a while. The sound is fantastic on it, but I would venture it's quite a bit 'Brenty'.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Easy does it, Keithfan! A "SuperBox" of 30 discs??? My god man, pass me whatever you're toking... But don't put some gold nuggets out of reach for the poor slobs among us (that's me).

And JimInMD, I actually, involuntarily, laughed a little evil laugh when you mentioned "evil laughter" with the image of Dave making counterintuitive choices based on our naked begging.

Cuz NOW I'm calling for a complete run of shows from August 1986............. TAKE THAT!!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

Boy, this is tough, but I'm going to vote for Europe 72 the Complete Recordings as my favorite box set. Fillmore West complete recordings was neck and neck and it was an extremely tough choice, but in the end Europe 72 box offered more variety and more volume and the Dead were better musicians in 1972 than they were in 1969 individually and as a group.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I love the "super box" idea Keithfan! Mmmm Dark Star. Even the title is perfect.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

... it's full of stars!

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

In case some folks love this particular show (and it has always been listed as a favorite of many), I won't poop in someone's Cheerios by posting the date. We each have our own favorites and not-so-favorites, but I just can't understand this concert, and it isn't a runt that was lumped in with seven others in a box. And it's not one of those shows where you think, "SOMEONE (not me) will enjoy this because of ____". It's on my brain because I just listened to it again yesterday, thinking that maybe THIS time I would "get it". Nope.

PM me if you're bored and want to know which show I highly question being selected for release. As a bonus I will let you know which other highly-regarded concert I cannot understand. Hint--I've been doing anniversary shows of late . . .

p.s. My son just came in with the mail, and AB50 arrived from Bull Moose!

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

I have a savings account I opened after my girlfriend and me got in a debate over buying 30 Trips back in 2015. 10 bucks comes right out of my paycheck automatically. I have over 2K in it, so I'm all-in for the Super Box.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

I, too, will bow down to our Dark Star Box Overloards at any given moment.

Here:
Take My Money,
Kindly.

#KeithFan2020

Sixtus

The Internet Archive currently has a donor who will match donations 2:1. I know some of you are contributors and this might be a great way for your donations to go "FURTHER".

Also, if you are in the market for some fine headphones, HiFiMan has a great clearance sale going on. Check it out if interested...https://store.hifiman.com/2020-clearance-sale. I've been enjoying their products for quite some time.

Still listening to Dave's 35. It really grew on me. Looking forward to 36 and beyond...
Go to Nassau and the PNW 3cd set have been in heavy rotation

Pulling out Dick's Picks #2 for my annual Halloween listen - been doing it for years.

Last 5/6
Miles Davis - The Lost Septet
Miles Davis - The Lost Quintet
Band of Heathens - Stranger
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Reunions
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Eric Burden & The Animals - Retrospective

Take care!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html