• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think we're (or, weir) looking at 4-15-78 for DaP 37. Bonus will be April '78 but specific track listing has not been disclosed. DaP 38 is still not disclosed as far as I know. Maybe someone else will chime in with other info.

Ouch, I'm sorry about your foot! May it heal quickly and as painlessly as possible for you. Stay safe.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Early bird ended, subscription window is still open, now $115.92.
I believe that last year the 2nd + bonus release was revealed just before the subscription window closed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Thanks for clearing that up. I realize I fudged that. For the record, DaP 37 is a 3 disc release, with Disc 3 being filler from April '78. I think I have that right.

I just proved I'm not a robot, as robots do not make boo boos.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Not sure I get what's changed. "A la carte sales will go up"-No more ordering them individually, when you didn't subscribe, a few days before the on sale dates? No sales until the day of, the FIRST day of release for all 4 and then, first come first serve? That will increase lines and wait times obviously, so if it's a super hot show, may not get one even if you're ready on the day. Anyhoo...was going to skip subscription this year, some are just not ones I listen to regularly but if that's the change may have to do it one more year. And now I've missed the $16 savings window! Arrrgh.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by redemption searcher

Another under hand technique to manipulate people. Along with the early bird bribe, the bonus disc and the limited amount of discs available for stand alone orders. Liking so much of the music, its always tempting to go along with it. But its seems more tempting this year to wave two fingers at them, and opt out.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by redemption searcher

Except that they go on sale the day that the release is ‘released’ to the subscribers. Thus, an attempt to deflect the criticisms from some subscribers that happens with every release when people who buy ala carte receive their copy before some subscribers receive their copy.

It doesn’t change demand. A hot show will sell out at the same rate whether the arbitrary day is a ‘pre-sale’ day or a ‘release’ day.

It’s amazing how many people complain that they have been cheated, scammed, and/or mislead with these releases that they feel they are so rightfully entitled to, and how dare GD/Rhino/Dave do anything other than cater directly to these people.

Failed or delayed delivery, damaged product, wrong resolution download, etc are legitimate complaints and should be promptly fixed by a competent customer service office (which Rhino apparently no longer has).
But GD/Rhino does not have to apologize for setting the terms for which they sell their product.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Right, we're waiting for the subscriptions to close, THEN Dave will talk #38 and make those who failed to sub gnash their teeth. (He said "gnash"...) I'm perennially looking forward to something to look forward to, so if # 38 be epic, let it be known!

Wilfred T: On the robot front, think about it. At least in fiction and movies, they DO make mistakes, often malevolent ones, and that's when the "fun" begins. Think about the problems the astronaut "Dave" had, once "Hal" didn't like what "Dave" was doing in 2001: A Space Odyssey. (Edit: Wait! "Dave"???)

On the foot front, my first-ever broken bones, at age 63+, and with two elderly family members seemingly on the cusp of surviving covid, I ain't bitchin', though I've had to switch gears. Lots of reading and delving into the veritable pile of new music CDs on my coffee table.

Carry on...

12-30-19

We're thrilled to announce that we've just locked in Dave's Picks Vol. 34, the second release in the Dave's Picks series of 2020, and it's a mighty powerful show: the complete performance from June 23, 1974, at Miami's Jai-Alai Fronton.

1-6-20

This is it! There are only two days left to become a 2020 Dave's Picks subscriber. Subscriptions will come to end on Wednesday, January 8th at 11:59 PM PST.
DAVE'S PICKS 2020 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS
Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
Dave's Picks 33: 10/29/77 Dekalb, IL
Dave's Picks 34: 6/23/74 Miami, FL
Dave's Picks 35 & 36 To Be Revealed!
Highly Collectible Bonus Disc - nearly 80 minutes of music from 6/22/74

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I doubt this will happen with the increased run, but you never know. If they sell a lot of subs they will pull the subs so that they have a few thousand to sell a la cart. Happened a couple years ago subs ended before the end of December.

I don't know...is it a question of inappropriately feeling entitled? I see it as just wanting to know what's for sale so I can make a decision as to whether I want to buy it or not. I just don't get why they can't announce a shows date before its released, so that those as want it can buy it, and this as don't...don't. No other band I like does all this. It feels like I have to join some sort of club to get shows-and I am not by any means a joiner.

On the vinyl front-Dicks Picks 26 is a mind blower. And I have only just realised that the encore for one of the shows-4/26/69-Viola Lee Blues-is included in The Phil Zone, but is not on Dicks Picks. Its only taken me 18 years..

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I own a music store business. I don't know if you're interested in the mechanics of business, but trust me when I say this business model is the absolute best way to ensure we, as fans, get a steady supply of 4 Dave's Picks a year, 1 or 2 box sets, and all of the special features like 50th anniversary editions that have incredible multi track concerts attached to them. Having stock of every release laying around for 10 years means they don't have budget for all the goodies I mentioned. It could mean the difference between 4 Dave's Picks a year and maybe only 2. Maybe only a box set every other year. Trust me on this. You have to move product to stay within budget, whether you're a small business or a segment of a large business like Warner. It's the same concept behind retail stores having periods of time where merchandise is available at a lower "Sale" price. They don't do that because they're nice. They do that to move product and stay in budget. Offering the series up as a subscription works for them because it allows them to project sales in the long term. They offer up the bonus disc to ensure they know exactly how big their core"Dead Base" is. The scales of supply and demand have a lot of factors involved, and the limited edition model plus the bonus disc incentive keeps them in business selling Grateful Dead music and us happy listening to it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I just noticed that the CD’s in DaP 36 say ‘Made In Germany’. I then checked DaP 35 which says ‘Made In E.U.’.
Maybe that’s why these are showing up without the added tax.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Regarding tax, it doesn't matter where the discs are manufactured. All that the customs look at is the value stated on the customs declaration sticker on the outside of side of the packet. In the case of Dave's 36 the stated value on the customs declaration was a mere $10 which is why no tax had to be paid. $10 is below the point above which tax has to be paid.

Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed that the discs of Dave's 35 &36 were made in Europe. On the back of the Digipak it says "Manufactured for & marketed by Rhino Entertainment LLC" but all Dave's Picks have an American Rhino catalogue number (R2 xxxxxx). European Rhino releases have a 12 digit catalogue number corresponding to the barcode. The European versions of the 50th anniversary releases have such a number. So Dave's Picks are American releases irrespective of where the discs are manufactured. I am reassured that the discs are made in Germany rather than in Mexico as used to be the case. That said, it is well known that German car manufacturer Volkswagen makes cars in Mexico. 😨

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...looking forward to the Dave’s Picks series #38 Witch 😉includes the infamous 2021 Bonus Disk/CD for Subscribers who”Pre-Ordered” next years Grateful Dead 2021 Dave’s Picks series subscription. I heard from a good friend of mine that a Primo ‘Dark Star’ s to be included, which reminds me of this song,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pguMUFyJ3_U ...beautiful! Have a grateful day my sisters and brothers, peace be with you all! Be safe be kind
& keep on truck’n folks. Looking forward to 2021 new projects & releases for the old &new fans alike! I’m expecting to see,hear or read that Dave’s #38 is a “5 star” 😉release “smile smile smile” across the board and more! I sure hope so myself! 2020 was a Primo year for releases & projects ect. Yes, ‘2020’ will go down as a primo category of live releases from the grateful dead! Despite the horrible virus that rocked each and everyone of us if you liked it or not, it’s bloomed into a worldly crisis. The Ying yang !
Rock on everyone! Ciao’ 🙏❤️💀🌹
* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RwjnXa50xuc

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

"Fear Of Missing Out" is the NEW? business model in the 21st century. Limited edition is the "new and improved," "special one time offer" or "only available on TV."

By not telling subscribers or customers about what shows or disks they will be releasing next year more people are hooked with FOMO subscriptions. It also pressures more people to check the site frequently and therefore increasing foot traffic for other products. It also creates buzz and speculation which further drives up FOMO and sales.

This is not secretive, its a business model and its current prevalence comes from the influx of social media and FOMO-culture that is so pervasive now. Its why we have 10 levels of VIP now at shows and festivals with escalating perks and special unannounced events you only find out about at the shows (and often are lackluster). It creates FOMO panic so the customer throws down cash and often higher sums than they would normally/logically be willing to do.

Human psychology is a powerful thing and business is nothing but the monetization of the human condition and experiences into neatly wrapped plastic packages with flashy commercials and promises of lifelong satisfaction and personal fulfillment.

Call it what it is but the old Vibes site summed it up the best with its statute of PT Barnum in Bridgeport.

"There's a sucker born every minute but you sir,...you look like a fine gentleman! And yes, for only 1$ more you too can see this exceptionally unique Egress!" FOMO yourself right out the exit door, onto the public street with everyone else with less change in your pocket :)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by direwulf

That's pretty much how I see things too.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by dreading

Thank you! The intellectual honesty and economics 101 are refreshing. After listening to the same self centered whines from the same tiny circle, you are a breath of fresh air. I say small since they now sell 22,000 but it's the same 2 dozen do it my way or you're evil scum and I'll never buy from you again. Same circle jerk antifa babies

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

so many great November anniversary shows. DaP 11 & 5 today. Even for '72 I think the Bird Song on the '72 show is exceptional. Oh...and Jerry's solo on Me and My Uncle from the Wichita show jumps right out of the speaker at me.

New AC/DC? Always good to hear what they're up to. I'm sure Stevie Young has done his father proud.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

wow, those are some harsh comments coming from some here. it's ok, breath, take a step back, breath. On a funny note, did you hear the one about the women in DC last weekend, they were screaming something about antifa and one woman asked another "who is antifa?" the other answered "I don't know, but they sure don't like her." wonka wonka wonka. Some folks just can't turn the page.
I don't have a problem with the subs, especially the early bird special. Great name, early bird special, the early bird gets the special limited edition one time only never to be seen again only you and 22,000 others will have it disc. Gotta love that. ;)
There have been a few Dave's I haven't been real fond of, but I still love the Grateful Dead and anything that has Jerry going up and down the frets and Phil thumping and Bobby cheesing and Micky and Billy keeping the beat is just fine with me. Thank you for still releasing these shows, they have kept me sane for a little while longer although lately things seem to be getting a bit weird. I haven't left the house except for groceries and dope for 8 months so I too have gotten weirder. But it's ok, take a step back, breath ...

UNKLE SAM

Is it a cousin conceived by an unusual form of artificial insemination?

What I struggle to understand is how being called an anti-fascist became a term of abuse.

I like the subscription model and I’m sure it’s good for the company as well since it means that they get a large amount of their money upfront so they know the releases are viable. If they had to wait to see how each disc sold then they would, I’m believe, put out fewer shows.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

... for the Circle Jerks at the Mabuhay. Great show, till the Babies’ singer bit his tongue off, somebody pulled the fire alarm, and all the sprinklers went off and ruined my toilet paper dog collar. But I digress.

Let me see if I can figure out exactly what the complaint is here.

After lengthy consideration, some proactive data mining cybermetrics, and a long talk with my cat, I have concluded the problem is that some people feel like Dave should announce ALL of the shows as soon as the “early bird” deal is announced so that could make a more informed decision. That’s not a totally unreasonable thing to ask, but I can think of a couple reasons why maybe the DP folks don’t do it that way.

Maybe it’s not practical for them to plan that far ahead: auditioning tapes, reviewing sound quality, and everything else that goes into choosing a show for release takes time, and it’s not like they’ve got dozens of people working round the clock on this. Or maybe they just like being able to keep their options open as they listen to buyer feedback: like, say, if they get a lot of people saying they don’t like having so much audience noise in a given release, maybe they would reconsider plans for another one like it? You gotta remember: this is small operation, serving a niche market.

I mean, they’re not just doing this to be dicks. And it’s not like they’re making a huge fortune off it. I would suspect that the profit from selling roughly 20k CD sets is probably just enough to employ a couple people to keep the series going. You’re enough of a fan to want the whole series sight unseen? You get the best deal. You want only to cherry pick only the shows you want? You pay a little more, but you still get what you want. You’re not interested in any of ‘em? You pay nothing. It all seems fair to me.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

With all the unmitigated crap-ola on our plates today, some few have to turn this site into a bitch-fest about the subscription model? Seriously? It's been the model for years. Do we have to return to the most basic logic of adulthood? If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you like to take a chance on which shows will be released, then buy it. At ~$7 per disc for well-curated shows -- some hit, some miss -- it's not a big deal either way. Personally, I'm not totally stoked over DaPs 35, 36 and 37, but I'm supporting the vault release program and looking long term for more killer shows from my own sweet spots. But the whining here is the definition of buzz kill.

Looking forward to GarciaLive 15, Jimi on Maui and a stack of Petty, Prine, Jennings, and Dylan. And the news on DaP 38, whatever it will be.

Once upon a time I went to a concert. I don't remember the band but they were really good. I bought a ticket and --check this crazy shit out -- I didn't even know what songs they were going to play ahead of time. Trippy, right? So then I went to the venue and they turned down the lights and the band came out and they had their instruments and everything and the crowd started yelling and then it was like, wait, wait, what song are they playing? We don't even know yet! And then they played a song and then when they finished that one they started playing another one and they didn't even announce what all the others were going to be even then. They just started playing it. You'd probably recognize which song I mean, it's the one with the guitar solo.

So anyway... the whole concert was like that, it was like, here's another song now. And they didn't announce a single one beforehand. Try wrapping your head around that! My mind was seriously blown. But the thing is... it was kind of fun, you know? I mean, I liked the band, pretty much, so even if every single song wasn't their best one, there was still a pretty good chance that I would dig it, or a part of it at least.

That was the only concert I went to that was all crazy and backwards like that. All the others were normal -- you know, like when I went to buy the ticket, they provided a set list, in order, of all the songs they would play, before I handed over the money. So, I knew exactly what I would be getting, which is obviously way better and way more fun, because it sucks all the spontaneity and surprise out of the experience of hearing music, which is after all the whole point. So I'm glad that most of the time, I had all my musical experiences curated for me beforehand, because it meant that I never had to listen to something unexpected. 'Cause man, I hate that.

Hey, has anyone heard Green Lung? Great pagan-metal stoner rockers from the UK. Cheesy as hell and super fun.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

Nice to see the era- wars have calmed... Onto the business model! Love you all, miss the banter... It's all about the music, right?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

For those that may know its Life Day today...
I am going to go for the Jammy Trinity of 11/17/71, 11/17/72, and 11/17/73. I may cap it off with both of the 11/17/78 affairs. Finally 11/17 happens in 1985, so I may add that to the mix as I do have that 85 affliction. It may take me a few days to get through it all but its worth it.

Also has anyone listened to the 30 Day of Dead selection for today? Its got a bommin' Shakedown.

Well for those that need an explanation.... while antifa is certainly not a joke in my usage that's what I used it as. Circle jerk, yea I can see why the couple of dozen it refers would claim ignorance. As far as being harsh, not nice etc. Huh? The circle I was referring to were the same people who abuse and accuse the people who give us so much pleasure of heinous corrupt actions including the following making money, designing a business plan that allows us to enjoy so much etc.
Dreading I'm sorry if you took any flak for stating the econ 101 basics. But me well someone needs to speak the truth clearly. Now you haters can start the obscene pms

I would hope no one would send you hate mail for expressing an opinion. Your truth isn't my truth, but that's no cause for concern.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Not blind loyalty, I really like the music. Even the 'lesser' shows get occasional, usually pleasant relistens, there's usually a nugget or thee of truth in there somewhere. My advice, pony up for the early bird pricing and let the chips fall where they may. Easy breezy.

We all should feel free to express our opinions, all views are welcome. It would make for a more enjoyable read if we can find a way to get our point across without slashing and burning the entire forest. It stinks in here.., or as my French teacher Mrs. Feldman used to say, "c'est odeur affreuse"

Their business model is their business, our choice is to buy or not.. I don't think there is much we can write in these forums that will influence their short or long term decision making. Sales and purchase behavior are what they pay attention to. In almost all cases the music is already out there for free, ready to be enjoyed without much effort at all so you rarely have to buy physical product to listen and enjoy. I fully support their efforts to clean up, preserve and restore the now mostly ancient recordings and make them as good as they can be. These mastered recordings are part of an important historical record. The Band and Rhino have a responsibility to clean them up and preserve them to the best extent they can. This likely means the next ten releases will not be the next ten you want released, more like the ten that best fit this purpose.., in the end it will even out and those ten shows will get released. If that takes a cento out of my pocket each year, I'd call that a bargain.

Where were we again..
We are really due for a '69, fall '72 or a fall/summer '73. These are prime candidates for the second release slot of the year and offer bonus disc potential. In another month or so we will get news on #38. My guess is it's going to be a smoker.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Good to see some here got what I was trying to do, but yet, there are still some, you know who you are, who just don't get it. Wait, we all know who you are. That was some funny sh!t that was put up by some here, I was at that antifa babies>circle jerk concert but I was so wasted I don't remember a thing. Long talk with my cat...priceless. I know someone who has a cousin like that but we don't talk about it too much, he gets all upset when we mention his heritage. It's good to see these humorous responses and it's nice to laugh at because that's what it was intended to do, get a chuckle out of some. I agree, with all the crap that is going on right now, let's just try and laugh a little. It feels good and it doesn't cost a thing. Some might think that the things that make me laugh aren't the same as the things that make you laugh, but that's ok too. If they don't think it's funny, put up a joke that they think is funny, and we can laugh at that. Unfortunately, like those of their irk, they will never get that calling names and then trying to explain why they called names just makes them look sad. :( It was just suppose to be a joke, nothing personal. It would be easy to go down that road and revert to the 3rd grade playground with responses like: "I know you are but what am I?" "Nanny nanny boo boo" or "Your mother wears combat boots" but I won't. :)

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Boris: Feedbacker
Boris: Absolutego
Moody Blues: any of the first 6 albums, and the 7th if you want something respectable, albeit a little mellow at times

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Jim, I think #38 is gonna be a smoker too, I think and I hope it will be two full shows from 1969. I think #39 will be 2/17/79 or 4/22/79, and I think #40 will be 5/26/73, I think those would all be knockouts!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I did not know it was Life Day until you mentioned it. Hope you make it home on time ;-)

I thought for sure someone would point out the other 11/17 show I forgot to mention last post: 11/17/71. I guess subscriptionitis caused a ruckus (can you describe the ruckus sir?)

I wouldn't dream of not getting the subscription. I like being surprised by which shows they pick, I like the bonus disc, and I like not having to worry about a sell-out before I get a chance to purchase. I'm certainly not a business major, but dreading's explanation makes perfect sense to me. I think the most important takeaway for me is that it ensures the cogs in the concert release machine keep turning at the rate we've become accustomed to.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by KeithFan2112

So I'm convinced -- and I've never been wrong yet, except every time -- that the 2021 box is fall '72. That means DaP # 38 cannot be from '72.

After (2) '80s shows and a '78, Dave's gotta throw us a '69 show with tons of filler.

Let the laughter begin. I have literally never correctly called anything on GD releases except that the 30 Trips box included my wish for a show each from 1966-1979.

Rec'd my GarciaLive 15 last night, so spinning that today. Stay safe out there, Colorado's virus numbers are insanely dangerous.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I'm doing that show now, a hangover from yesterday. 11/17 has gone down as one of the great single dates in GD History. Thankfully, someone hit record and we have several cleaned-up and restored beautiful releases to commemorate the occasion. 11/17/72 yesterday and I am working towards 11/17/73 later today and for desert 11/18/72. There's a bit of hoopla about this on the pick of the day thread.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Proudufoot, I'm glad you dig my picks, 2/17/79 & 4/22/79 , are both great shows, I have a Grateful Dead item you might be interested in, for free, pm me your email and I'll fill you in.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

- UNKLE SAM
- HENDRIX FREAK
- DAVEROCK
- COLIN GOULD
- MAINE DAVE
- CROW TOLD ME
- JIMMD

Gold stars to Maine Dave and Crow Told Me!
CTM, where the hell did you come from? Welcome aboard! Your a funny crow!
My day started getting ugly, then I came here and you guys made me feel better, thanks! And as always, our illustrious Mayor of deadnet, Meester Geemmy! Spot on as is usually the case. Couldn’t have said it better!
The ironic thing is the folks who collect EVERYTHING but are uncomfortable about a lousy hundo...
Just take a step back for a minute and THINK of what you get for a hundred dead presidents today?..........
A tank of gas if you’ve got a large truck?, maybe a meal out? Probably not enough to buy a concert ticket anymore?
A half or quarter depending on where you live?, or a couple cases of “good” beer just to name a few...Your groceries for a week cost more than what you pay for 4+ shows that have been painstakingly restored!
So considering this, and the fact that one could sell the “offensive” shows for the cost of the whole subscription, it blows my mind why this is even an issue?
Also, now that the run is 25K, this should ensure that those who simply can’t gamble a lousy hundo can buy ala carte, or not...so why are we even going on about this?
I know I used to feel sorta like this, but got totally bummed at all the good shows I missed, or have had to pay a high price for on the after market. Nope, for this freak, a hundo for what we get is a no brainer, regardless of source, format, or era! The bonus disc alone is often worth the cost! So far, anything over the years that has been officially sponsored by the Grateful gawldang Dead has always been AT LEAST worth the cost, usually the cost/Golden yummy ratio makes it a steal!
My only complaint involves the uncertainty of receiving the product or not, which when shipped direct via UPS has never been a problem.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The elusive, dreaded, double post!
My first time! Ooooh, was it good for you? gotta smoke?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I see the mind control captcha is beginning to take effect.

excellent.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Oh, boy . . . I'm trying so hard to come up with an amazing post so that I can make Oro's list that I'm now getting panicky . . . and now the anxiety has clouded my brain and I can't think of anything insightful or pithy . . . dang! Maybe next semester. :)

(or is it Mayor Jim's mind-control CAPTCHA that is fogging my mind . . . ?)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

One of the most loved Phish shows is from 11-17 as well, that being 11-17-97. '92 -'94 is more my cup of tea when it comes to Phish but that's neither there nor here. Must be something in the air during shows on 11-17. Something intoxicating.

More jokes? Yes please. I never get tired of V-Guy's witticisms. And more Maple Leafs jokes! Hockey season is just around the corner. Hopefully.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html