• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by trotterd

probably because of guest artists, permissions, royalties, etc.

9/11/73...yummy (but I don't like the horns...sorry...)

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

"I said oh no, William and Mary won't do (now)"

I say: "oh yeah, William and Mary will do now"

hey: 9/11/73 is W&M, too!

Twilight Zone music...

The 13th Floor Elevators get the thumbs up from me. I listened to the mono version of "Easter Everywhere" just a few days ago, and it still sounds incredibly powerful. In fact, coincidentally, I got a copy of their illustrated history delivered today. Unopened as yet- maybe I'll leave it until Christmas.

I first became aware of them about 1976, when I got Lenny Kaye's compilation of psychedelic garage rock, "Nuggets" which features "You're Gonna Miss Me". Still one of my favourite compilations of any stripe.

Both "Easter Everywhere" and "Psychedelic Sounds of.." were re-released in England in about 1978. As punk was still in vogue then they fit in quite well with the times. More so than the more well known S.F bands, actually. I still think they are great albums-Roky Erikson had one of the great rock n' roll voices.

I saw him live once too-about 2007, which was very moving, considering all the difficulties he encountered and all the abuse he suffered. Incredible atmosphere before he came on. His set list consisted of the songs he cut as a solo artist, and the only Elevators song he sang was "You're Gonna Miss Me" for the encore. Unforgettable.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

First I have to get this out here - I really like the artwork they emailed for Dave's Picks 37. Yeah it's more skeletons, but I like the simplicity and colors. I have a feeling the new artist Helen is going to continue be a good one for this year, as far as my taste goes.

As far as guitars go, I love the Gibson SG in terms of look and sound (Townshend memorialized this guitar on the Tommy Tour, which included the great Woodstock footage, Live at Leeds, and Isle of Wight.

And then Jerry had his landmark moment with the SG on Live Dead (and Bobby pulled one out occasionally pre-hiatus).

The Alligator Nash Strat sounds so damn clean, how can you not love that one too. Somebody on here once commented that nobody brought out the best sound of a Stratocaster like Garcia; I always took that comment to heart. And the Wolf is the Wolf - you need go no further than DP 18 for the Bertha solo or The Wheel into.

But then there's this lost period in the guitar info on Jerry between the SG and the Nash Strat. Once I became a raging Dead-a-holic, I noticed those early '71 multi-tracks had a sound of their own.

The two new Port Chester shows convinced me there's another guitar in there. The WMD and AB shows have some of the greatest sounding Jerry ever released (to my ears anyway); but more important, wtf was he playing?? Well, if you Google it, you can find a picture of one of the oddest looking guitars I've laid eyes on. At first I thought it was some kind of off-model Gibson Les Paul; the headstock looks it, but the body is narrower with symmetrical rounded off cutaway (similar to some old Rickenbacker Spanish body electric guitars I found online while trying to identify what Garcia was playing. There's a blurry picture of it in the booklet for AB 2/18/71. Here is a closer up pic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qX11rUzflHxqDGIS2DssYoGA8hPsWrtN/view?…

Whatever THAT guitar may be, is the one responsible for the rich melodic tone that Jeffrey Norman brought to life especially well on the 2/18 and 2/21 shows. Personally, I think 2/19 (aka Three From the Vault) is not quite in the same class of engineering perfection as these 50th anniversary shows, but it's also an old release at this point, so a lot may account for this (my subjective opinion not least of all). Yeah yeah, I know - It's only rock 'n roll.....

Would love to know if anyone can positively ID Garcia's guitar here.

It's the peanut.

https://rickturnerblog.com/2017/12/05/garcias-turner-peanut-guitar/

There was a lot of talk about this a few weeks ago.. I think Strider88 might have been one of the ones leading the charge here.. plus, he got to see it sort of up close and personal at the Port Chester shows.

The Peanut.. an early custom guitar made for Jerry Garcia. Originally rumored to have been invented by George Washington Carver, it was later confirmed to be an embryotic Alembic creature created by Rick Turner.

Not to be confused with the Pretzel.. Another Garcia owned Turner axe which was stolen while in the possession of Sam Cutler circa 1975 and only recently resurfaced.

https://relix.com/articles/detail/jerry-garcias-pretzel-guitar-resurfac…

I'm holding out hope that the popcorn and potato chip guitars, missing since Woodstock and long rumored to be victims of the munchies, are found and safely returned.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Trottered, I remember Dave saying that none of those shows would ever be released. Many people enjoy the sets with horns from that month, but I think the band and a decent number of fans aren't interested in a release from those shows. Good thing there's the Live Music Archive! :)

I really enjoyed this year's Dave's Picks. The first two shows (10/29/77 and 06/23/74, for those with shortened memories :) were killer, and then I appreciated hearing a ton of music from years that we don't have many releases from. At this point I would rather hear some good stuff from the 80s or 90s once in a while, rather than the 21st-best show from, say, 1973. Dave and Mark and Rhino are doing a stellar job of getting us tons of music from the entire span of the GD's career.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Never trust my memory. I thought we were talking about the Capitol Theatre, but...

I know that guitar in KF's post is the peanut. Strider usually catches up on these threads and seems to have a great memory. One of the great personalities here.. what I wouldn't give to have seem some of the shows he has seen.

More to follow. Any update on Jerry's Granola, Popcorn and Potato Chip guitars? In hindsight, it was not a good idea to name his guitars after junk food with all that good weed around. At least the Peanut and Pretzel survived....

Agree on the horns comments, but I think if they found a way to clean up and fix some of the cuts, William and Mary might just be releasable.. and there is the archive. I think Oroborous or someone here just did a run through all those shows recently, maybe BobT?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yaasssssiree Mayor Jimmy, ‘‘twas me, and Bluecrow, until I lost him at the rest area after Syracuse (hopefully made a few dozen people happy from that particular rest area on the ole I 90 before the 84 Carrier dome show, but that’s a whole nother story; ) So Old Crow was hangin round some fine young DH ladies in a burnt Orange VW bus from New Mexico and when I came back out he was gone and I haven’t heard from him since? But I digress.
Yeah I did the whole tour this fall and though I enjoyed it, I’d say mini box at best, but for whatever reason, like DHB said and feels, and the vibe I’ve always got about these shows over the years, is that many folks feel there’s nothing there?
It’s kinda weird, perched right in the middle between the epic summer shows, and perhaps the greatest tour ever, and yet it’s like it doesn't exist?
Personally, I concur with the mayor and others, and Dave has it on that “list” he put out when Dave’s started, 9/11/73 is definitely the “one” if ya had to pick.
And PSYCHE in my best Ashton Kutcher voice it’s from.....wait for it....William and Mary! Hmmmmmm
Oh, I think it might’ve been Hornsby first show too?
I also argue that there’s the historical factor. As some here have discussed, sometimes shows get hyped and thus released because of certain historical significance, and that occasionally their not necessarily top shows. Egypt being first to pop into my head, not the best show, and the quality certainly isn’t mind blowing, but come on, are ya not going to release it? I’m sure glad they did...
Finally, if you look past the horns, your still getting primo Dead from just before what some consider their best tour, AND, a sweet 73 Dark Star!
So I can’t believe they haven’t at least got 9/11 out!
If I were to pick a mini box I think I’d go with;
- 9/11W&M for sure,
- 9/17 Syracuse and/or
- 9/21/73 with either
- 9/24 or 26 to illustrate the tour changes, mainly around the use and duration of the horns...
A 3 show box would probably be perfect, and as the tour was very fluid, a good taste of that...
I unfortunately agree though that this is highly unlikely, at least not anytime soon, and of course I’m not familiar with the tape situation?
I think 9/11 will see the light if day at some point!
I’d be a shame if it didn’t...

EDIT: oops forgot, saw something recently about the ginger bread man guitar up for auction...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

And there is the patch at the very end of Morning Dew through the beginning of Sugar Magnolia they would have to work around. Such a difficult place to put a patch.

I'd still take 9/11. Much of the tour is somewhat a novelty, at least that's how I compartmentalize it. Oro.. since you are fresher off this tour than I.. I think most of the horns come smack dab in the middle of the second set jam sequences, right? If so, if they would have snuck them in during the first set and perhaps a song or two in the second set this might have been less a distraction from the goods that evolve in the meat of the show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

That’s the fluid part; in the beginning of the tour the horns are used sporadically throughout much of the second set.
By Pittsburgh/Buffalo, their used more like you say, in a concentrated portion of the second set, and not on as many tunes. The recordings were hit and miss so hard to say for sure, but possibly they were dropped in the mix a bit too?
Of course if there was multitrack, things could be edited and cleaned up nicely, but I’m guessing there aren’t any?
They could always do a chop job and use it for the Wake of the Flood bonus material...
Personally I the like the novelty, and would really dig having the 11th! It would be yet another one of the multi headed hydra that was the Dead. Talk about a palate cleanse! Another totally different version of the Dead to go to. And As I say, if nothing else, sans the horns, you still get great 73 Dead and a 73 Dark Star! But that’s just me...

EDIT: historically you have to think they’d want to get at least one version of Keith singing Let Me Sing Your Blues, sorta like they got the only versions of Money Money out, though of course those are tied to “big” shows without the controversy...again, makes me think good Wake bonus material?

Your a “Bells Guy”....Beerman just delivered a big haul including a case of their Christmas beer we’ve never had yet...I’m salivating just thinking about it! Unfortunately, they say we can’t get any Anchor Xmass beer, which is my all time favorite! Have special ordered between 10 and 20 cases a year since like 2008, so really bummed.
Fuggin distributer is a douche, and that’s coming from many of the fine proprietors in this region that we’ve talked to. Hell we even called Anchor direct one year and they said they get many’s calls complaining about them.
Hopefully my cousin can snag us some down on the front range, but he’s had problems finding also. He scored a couple cases and said it’s a good year so we’ll have to make a death run at some point and hopefully git sum!
Also picked up a case of 2 hearted, 2 Fremont Disco Wolf double ipa which we’ve not had, a case of interurban, which might not have tried yet, 4 SN celebration ale (pairs well with chicken, especially Buffalo chicken), some Einstock Toasty Porter, a four pack of North coast Old Rasputin, and a couple Pliney bombers for dessert!
Buffalo Chicken Breasts, new good beer, and that 91 Blu-ray tonight.....must be FRIIIIIIIDAY!
Woohoo!
Party on Wayne!

Good sheet mon!
And hey, if Gilfoil swears by it...; )

Really miss Anchor Porter. Was my all time fav until we discovered the Xmass ale...but again , have to go to flat lands to find it.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

i will check out 9/11/73 again soon

Dark Star into Morning Dew

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, have some Bell’s Christmas Ale.
I’m drinking Bell’s Bright White, their Belgian Wheat style.
Keep an eye out for Bell’s Lampshade Party Ale, it’s out now.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I've been reading the recent comments. Was there some indication that 9/11/73 was going to be officially released, or is this simply speculation?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bfraim

I don't believe there was any indication this show would be released. If memory serves, back when the Dave's Picks series was announced, there was a backdrop picture with dates of possible shows that could be released, and I think 9/11/73 was included.

There were a few folks listening to and talking about the mini horns segment in the fall '73 tour and the topic came up, as it seems to do from time to time.

I think some might have emailed Dave and I think he has commented publicly that much of this tour would be hard to release for a host of reasons. Still, if there is one that might get released it is this show. I would go so far to say if it were not for the cut(s), specifically in the Morning Dew, it would have been released already.

I am also not sure which reels are actually in the vault. I would add.. #ANewReleaseDave,Please.

In summary, no indication this would be released, just random speculation.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by bfraim

hofbrau - it's all about hofbrau beer.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by misterthumbs

Re-listened through china rider so far

Tasty

Hey Man,
I looked at the image in your post. Is there a date or location on that image?
I believe that the guitar in the photo is an Alembic piece Garcia was trying out. Used in April/May of ‘71.
That’s what I got for intel on that. Unrelated: I attended the Brendan Byrne arena run Oct. 11-16, 1989 and was thrilled to see the Wolf reappear for Garcia’s MIDI playing.
Over an out,

Shwack in nh
(1st show: Thompson Arena Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH May 5,1978
Last show: Boston Garden run , Sept. 20-26, 1991)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Ok, just here, first time in along while. Speculation about availability of Easter Everywhere in 1978...well in 1975/76, I found DOZENS of copies of each of the first 3 Elevators albums plus 4 or 5 other albums on International Artists in Stockholm while browsing the various warehouses dealing in cutouts. These were however not cutouts and brand new. They cost me less than 50 cents an album. (5 Swedish Kronor). I bought up everything, several hundred albums in total and brought them back to London, where I gave /traded to friends and eventually sold on the rest to Rock On in Camden Town. These were then sold back to the US.
Part of this story was retold by John Platt in his liner notes to the UK double album of International Artists singles, released about the time which Dave Rock recalls, when Elevators and Red Crayola received a brief renaissance in the UK riding on the back of punk. I met and had a long converstion with Mayo Thompson at a Crayola gig at the Hope and Anchor in Islington at the launch of this reissue campaign.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by shwack

You are correct.. the peanut was used in April/May '71. I am not convinced it was used at the Capitol Theatre run in February, but there is some confusion out there.. and some pictures floating around claiming to be from the February run that probably aren't.

One example is below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GRATEFUL-DEAD-New-Sealed-2020-LIVE-1971-NEW-YO…

I am not sure what he used for the Capitol Theatre run.. I bet someone chimes in with better info here soon. Strider88 was there and posts here frequently.

There are some pictures from the Capitol Theatre claiming to be from the February run that pictures him playing a guitar that does not fit any of the ones on the Dozin' site.

https://www.thecapitoltheatre.com/blog/detail/6-of-the-most-legendary-g…

I bet we get to the bottom of it here eventually.

Fascinating. Makes me wonder if the first two Elevators albums I bought circa 1978 were ones that you had bought and passed on to Rock On. I think I bought them mail order -its unlikely that they were stocked in my local record shop in Oldham- so it is possible. I'll dig them up from the back of the attic tomorrow and look for tell tale signs.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

Been listening to that

I used to hate on the saxophone sound, but eh, whatever.

Great show.

"Shout in your neighbor's EEAARRRR!" - Jerry Garcia

Lol

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

The link to Rick Turner's blog about the Peanut that JimInMD posted below a few days (https://rickturnerblog.com/2017/12/05/garcias-turner-peanut-guitar/) got me pokin' around which led to a post from 'TheIncredibleJones" who worked for Rick later on: https://www.reddit.com/r/gratefuldead/comments/au4d1q/peanut/
For what it's worth, in the post Mr. Jones says, "Jerry played it [the Peanut] w/ The Grateful Dead from ~Feb-May 1971."
Save us Strider. Onward.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Dave, its a long while ago, but I think I also passed some on to a mail order outfit in Margate(?) Cannot remember their name at this distance, but they put out Psycho records including the very best Quicksilver, Maiden of the Cancer Moon.

Cut outs in Sweden is a whole other subject for another day, but the story includes mob involvement, arsen and insurance fraud, which, tantalisingly, makes the legends of mob shoot outs in New York warehouses over boxes of original Elevators albums, much more plausable! (See the aforementioned John Platt liner notes to the IA singles compilation)
Now John was responsible for the best fanzine back in the day, Comstock !oad, a love letter and labour of love to all things San Fransisco, the Bay Area bands, situating the whole scene in its matrix( see what I did there?) of the Beats and anarchist bohemian/IWW tradition. Though of course these days, any mention of politics in a website devoted to the Grateful Dead will have many contemporary Dead heads offended,clutching at their pearls and howling no politics here!
Times have changed, we are so much younger now, BUT, twas different then...
Stay safe old friend, in this world turned upside down. ( unintentional, but sneaky reference to the Diggers there)

Dogon-no, disappointingly my Elevators albums are reissues. The back of "Psychedelic Sounds" has got Radarscope 1978 printed on it, and "Easter Everywhere" has Radarscope 1979 printed on the inner label.

I remember Psycho Records, and still have a few albums on that label. "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" was one of my most played albums of the mid 80s - as you say - exceptional. The other two I got were the Ken Kesey Acid Test album, which includes The Dead, and a compilation of mid-late 60s British psychedelic bands called " Perfumed Garden".
I can't remember how I became aware of the label-I never got Comstock Load, although the name rings a distant bell. Possibly through the Dead and Dead related fanzine "Dark Star".
Cheers,
Dave

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Dave
It was at Radars release party for International Artists at the Hope that I saw Red Crayola, first releases were, Youre gonna miss me (natch) and Crayolas Yik Yak, still got the lapel button somewhere..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I remember that mail order outfit in Margate but my memory is completely blank regarding the name of said outfit. It is quite likely that I purchased my copy of "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" from them. While they existed I was a regular customer, much to the chagrin of my bank manager. It was a good source of ridiculously obscure albums. Sadly nothing lasts forever.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Here we go again. Am I the only one at the European side of the pond that still have not got my DaP 36 delivered? Six weeks have passed since I got a cheery message from Dead Net that it was "on the way" to my adress. Yes I understand the covid factor, but this is ridicolous.

Except for DaP 33 I have faced epic delays for all of my subscribed Daves Picks this year:

My DaP 34 arrived June 23, almost 2 months after release. And I seriously doubt I would ever had it delivered to my adress in Sweden if I had not contact Customer Support twice concerning the delay.

My DaP 35 arrived on November 6. More than 3 months after the delivery message from DeadNet. By far the worst performance ever. Again, I had to contact Customer Support. Now 3 times. Finally they sent me a new delivery, since the first seemingly were lost somewhere (not possible to track).

Dead Net has to do something serious about their shipping procendures. I fondly remember the smooth deliveries back in the days of early Daves Picks. (Fastest delivery ever was DaP 6 which actually arrived Sweden before official release date!)

Way too much hazzle now. After all, music is for enjoyment.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Ok
Heres my story about this years subscriptions.
I subscribed early bird and was optimistic so I included an order for Aoxomoxa.
Aoxomoxoa never arrived, nor did a replacement. I was told by Postnord that both were returned to sender because stickers obscured the customs declaration. Dead Net did not respond to Postnords inquiries during the 4 week window allowed. Deadnet refunded me for Aoxomoxoa. I still havnt got a copy.
The first Daves of the year arrived without problems in a timely way.
The second Daves did not arrive, and I was given the same story by Postnord, stickers obscuring the customs declaration etc etc Returned to sender. I eventually bought a copy on the secondary market.
The third Daves, see above, never arrived, problems with the customs declaration, no reply from Deadnet during etc etc. Returned to sender.
The forth Daves has not arrived despite landing at Arlanda more than a month ago, I assume the pattern continues.I have not bothered to phone Postnord about this one, lifes too short, returned to sender?
Now you will understand Im pretty pissed but I have received a partial refund, so Im getting on with my life. So out of 4 releases sent by Dead net I got one!
Incidently, I ordered the 75 box, it never arrived, problems with the customs declaration again according to Postnord,, I received a refund....
Am I resubscribing to Daves for 2021? Am I ordering again from Deadnet or Rhino? Am I f-ck.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Dogon

These shipping blues...just beyond preposterous.

I doubt it's the GD organization. It's whoever gets their buttery fingers on it once it leaves the warehouse.

"Three Stooges Delivery, at your service!"

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

have you HEARD that show's Playin' in the Band?

best as I can tell, it leads off the second set.

I highly recommend it.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Dogon

obscured the sticker...bleh.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Dogon

DOGON

Your mention of the IWW reminded me that I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night. I came over all wobbly :)

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Firstly, I'm a first year Dave's Picks subscriber, very very excited :). However, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (home of the DEAD) and I STILL have not received my Dave's Picks 36 I bought a la carte. To say it's disappointing is an understatement as I had no problem getting a replacement order fulfilled when the original package got lost in transit *or never left the warehouse*. I'd love to know if there's a way for me to contact someone directly about this issue as I have already given up hope on it coming before the New Year. Just really want to listen to the whale. Otherwise, rock on and have a wonderful December :]

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Yeah Proudfoot, customs can be a pain...but why do I never have problems with any other sender, Real Gone, Sundazed,CDJapan, never. Deadnet/ Rhino are outstanding in this regard, problem after problem, and this year was the nadir.
It seems that the problem is not only obscured or missing customs declarations, rather, that when they are contacted with a query, they never reply, leading to the package being returned to sender.

Colin: boomboom!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Dogon

why are people having this issue?

why?

WHY?

luckily for me, I have never had to sing the shipping blues. but so many have and do. Even JiminMD, stalwart sage of this lil' ol' board, has had to wait for the current Daves.

What is the PROBLEM???????

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Try sending a PM to Marye, she has in the past, been able to help folks out from time to time.

Live Garcia 15 is my FAVORITE in the series!! Outstanding!!

What's that Jim?? Why yes, it is the last one I listened to.....oh, right.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...would not believe how many stickers are stuck on packages by the time they are delivered to an international destination. If the package is a CD-sized unit then there are stickers on top of stickers on top of stickers. The dead.net box sets come in nice packaging covered with dead-themed art. This is pointless when there are multiple stickers on all sides of the packaging. Shame.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nice post, Colin. 😀

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by proudfoot

>>>> "Three Stooges Delivery, at your service!"

That would be Dewey, Deliver, Eventually.

But what about the downloads!!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html