• 1,034 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
    October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • digitalseva

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People. You Can also visit our blog ZIP Code, lets check this site:

S.Gupta

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• iainm
    Default Avatar

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I note that some subscribers have not received Dave's Picks 36. I did manage to get that one. However my copies of Dave's Picks 33 and Dave's Picks 35 went missing in action and I've not heard anything back from the store despite me sending them the details of the shipping notification / invoices that they were looking for. I appreciate that international shipping was a problem at the height of the pandemic but I am stuck having paid for 4 release but I've only received 2.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the attention of someone to help with this ?

• icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye.

• Funcrushed
    Default Avatar

I really can't believe I have to make this comment. This is the fourth time I have been given the Dave's Picks subscription as a gift, and the first time I have to say something. For some reason, after purchasing the subscription in early November, for some unknown reason it was refunded months later with no indication or explanation given. It wasn't even noticed by us for another month, and by this point, and even if it was noticed immediately, the subscription was already sold out. How is this a good way to do business? After all this, we were given a boilerplate excuse and 15% percent off our next purchase, like that would make up for missing out on four previously unreleased live dead shows. It has pretty much ensured that I will never purchase another single thing from dead.net. It wouldn't be so bad if they had even attempted to explain WHY this had happened in the first place, but they'd rather lose someone who has been loyally purchasing merch from for a decade. We are very disappointed, with no explanation, or email given; we were not even sure what the refund was, until it was finally figured out that this was a refund for our dave's picks subscription. It took active sleuthing to even figure out this was what the refund was for. This is unacceptable, when we purchased this subscription in good faith, a print out was given as a present to someone, and then it was refunded with zero communication.

• 1stshow70878

Steaming Bean brand! The lots I get from City Market are smoke roasted locally in Telluride. Absolutely dusts anything from the Star. So many good roasts. Their Organic Mountain Harvest my favorite blend. They make a mean French Roast and their signature Black Canyon Roast (med.-dark) kept me alive at 3:30 AM baking the bagels at Backstreet Bagel & Deli years ago here in Montrose. Cheers!

• wilfredtjones

I am innocently wondering if the shipping snafus are attributable to the messed up state of USPS, Dead.net or a some combination of both.

I am truly feeling for those that are still waiting. I hope you eventually come to get the sets which are rightfully yours.

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

"when the music's over, turn off the lights" as a subscriber

• blackdog68
    Default Avatar

Hey Dave! I'm still waiting on 36. I know it's weird out there, but my music shop fights through and honors it's debts

Ex- long time subscriber

• Colin Gould

It depends which Dennis the Menace you are talking about. The US version has, according to Wikipedia, a dog called Ruff (and a cat called Hot Dog). The UK version from ‘The Beano’ comic has a dog called Gnasher. Amazingly, the two characters were created at the same time separated by the Atlantic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Welcome to the 10th year of the Dave's Picks series! We're amazed and humbled that this community of Dave's Picks fans keeps growing, and we just wanted to let you know how much we sincerely appreciate your support of and interest in the series. We started in 2012 with 12,000 of each release, and now we've more doubled that, with 25,000 in 2021. Wow! We keep working as hard as we possibly can to bring you the best, most exciting Grateful Dead shows in the vault. Our 2020 releases included music from 1977, 1974, 1984, and the latest, biggest release yet in the series, the two complete Hartford shows from 1987. Looking ahead, we've selected two exceptional, A+ Dead shows for Vol. 37 (more on that in the video below) and 38, as well as the Bonus Disc that will come with Vol. 38. Big year ahead! As we head into the 10th year of the series, there's no end in sight. We love what we do, and have loads of plans and ideas for the next few years. Onward to more great music!"

David Lemieux
October 2020

Times may be trying but the music has never and will never stop! Keep the momentum going by doing the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2021 subscription. We're taking the production run up one final time - to 25,000 - for each of the four Dave's Picks 2021 releases. We'll also be doing things a wee bit differently this year - subscribers will be the first to receive their Dave's Picks. A la carte sales will go up on street date (no more pre-orders) and if you don't subscribe - we highly encourage you to - you'll want to be ready and waiting because these releases sell out within hours. Hours - no hyperbole.

In addition to the four releases in 2021, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

My god, your situation is even worse than my. Guess the "obscured sticker" issue can explain why my Daves Picks 34, 35 and 36 also have been stucked somewhere in some unknown location. I got some indications that my copy of DaP 35 arrived Sweden after just a few weeks, but then it went under the radar and never arrived (until custum service sent a replacement). As for DaP 36 the poor tracking that is offered indicates that it has still not yet arrived to Sweden six weeks after it was sent.

Totally agreeing. Life is to short for this kind of frustrating hassle with getting delivered what you paid for.

Actually I was more succesful with the 76 box. I did not order that beutiful thing until mid August, and had it delivered after 5 weeks or so. Longer delivery time than what it used to be, but without me having to contact custumer service.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

For this last Daves of the year, tracking stopped more than a month ago when it left USA using the tracking given by Deadnet. Postnord do not recognise either of the given tracking numbers. HOWEVER, if you do a search for Universal tracking, and then track, sometimes you get surprising results, thats how I know my copy arrived at Arlanda over a month ago.
Similarly, none of my missing packages this year have ever shown a hit when using Postnord tracking, But I have been able to locate their arrival in Europe, often Brussels, before they completely dropped off the radar by using Universal tracking. When phoning Postnord their normal reponse is it hasnt arrived in Sweden, because they only check their own tracking, press them a bit and they do other searches, which is where I can find out the parcel is in limbo, neither tracked nor presented to customs, because the paperwork is incomplete. Or they sheepishly tell me that it has been returned to sender. Sorry about the long explanation but it might be helpful.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Overseas fans have had hassles getting their GD product from dead.net while other organizations deliver without a hitch -- I'd have to say, that's pretty damning right there. This has to be a Rhino issue with its fulfillment arm and doesn't reflect on our den mother, marye, or the Vault-fuhrer, Dave, or the band, etc.

I did get DaP 36, but it mistakenly contained two shows from 1987......... [rimshot!]. Actually, I have to say, these two shows do some heavy rocking and I'm glad to be introduced to two monstrous shows from later years. I caught the Red Rocks/Telluride run that year and don't remember the band smokin' like this!

Here's hoping our brethren in Europe receive their orders in time to enjoy them.

Personally, looking ahead to better daze, I plan to get a tad wild on the Winter Solstice, which is my main holiday of the year. A little of this, a little of that, washed down with a few of those with perhaps a Euro '72 show on the stereo. Typically I have a small party and play music here (home team advantage on the inebriants), but will settle for a harmonica pal joining me on the back porch tomorrow at 2pm when the temps might reach 64 degrees. We'll have an hour and a half before the sun plummets to the horizon behind bare trees and the temperature drops like a rock. And then......... daylight increases about a minute and a half a day til my next big holiday -- Summer Solstice.

I'm more than a bit like an ancient Pagan, playing my bongos in the dirt....

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

the announcement on #38. Which '73 show will it be?? (One for #38, another paired with Wake of the Flood 50th?)

Gawd, I used to excoriate people for too much speculation and here I am, after 9 months in isolation, speculatin' on the speculation.

Just lost my beloved uncle to covid. Told that to a guy I'm working with on a history project and he said, "Oh, did I mention that my wife died of lung cancer in July?" Shut me right up.

Be safe and count your blessings.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Thanks! Contacting PostNord (as well as DHL) is most of the time a Kafka experience. Usually I start with contacting custumer service before entering that labyrinth. Unfortunately, by now I think it is clear there is small hope that our DaP 36 will arrive without screaming, enquiring and pushing. Until then I go for some other nice music.

From now on I will go à la carte.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Hey Josh - I'm by the Bay too, in fact looking at it right now out my window. I have also not received my DP 36.

Customer service at dead.net has responded to me and advised that the second shipment they said was sent, appears to have not been sent, as they are waiting to receive another manufactured batch. Generally speaking, for me, their batting average is pretty good. I order it and it shows up. I had some bum discs in the PNW box and they eventually replaced them without too much hassle. We need Bob and his Uncle to start up a new Pony Express delivery service.....though I guess we know how that turns out.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by bjornindia

Covid or lung cancer, a loss of a family member is a loss of a family member.

Covid. A year ago, things were humming right along. "2020's coming right up! A new year!"

then..........

HF-I'm also sorry to read of your loss. It always seems inappropriate to me, when you tell someone about a loss you have suffered and they respond by telling about one of their own losses.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Daverock and Proudfoot, much appreciate your thoughts and your insights. My colleague and I did talk briefly about shared loss and grief, you are wise, Daverock. It is healthy to talk about deaths in the family, even if briefly. Yet I can tell that I'm "sharing" too much these days -- I go to the grocery store and, if someone speaks to me, I go on and on.

Kinda embarrassing/humbling to realize.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Tough times, sorry for your loss HF.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Death Don't Have No Mercy outta be in the top ten on the charts this retched year!
Sorry for your loss, May the four winds blow him safely home!

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

Hendrixfreak, I'm sorry for your loss, hopefully the passage of time will make it easier for you.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 1 month

Glad to read on here that @marinsmith got a coherent story from customer service about Dave's 36.

I'm just up the road from the Bay in Sonoma Co and still no sign of Dave's 36 either. I got some responses from folks here on dead.net, but not really a full response from customer service. Have to say I've been left concerned by the current customer service.

I've been a subscriber since Dave's 1 and this is the worst snafu for me. One other time a pick came up missing, but that was back with you could call and speak to someone at dead.net customer service and they fixed it right away.

Hopefully they are printing our replacements and will communicate about getting them out to us. Funny there's a bunch of us out here in Dead country still waiting.

Cheers everybody!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by estimating prof

....sorry for your loss Hendrixfreak. I had two aunts get it about a month ago. Both recovered, but one still hasn't gotten her sense of smell back and says food still tastes wierd.
Oh. And I changed my avatar so you can finally see my ugly mug and my wonderful granddaughters. It evens out.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

wowzer.

No grandchillun for me yet

my avatar is of my beefy frame and my "Covid-19" shirt...you can't see _my_ ugly mug, and that's a good thing :)))

Bought the shirt at Pike Place Market a day before the original lockdown in March 2020

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Sounds idealistic, but the devil is in the details.

One is a pig girl, one adores Keith, one loves the energy of Brent and last a Hornsby girl. They can never agree on a concert or era, family vacations are nightmare. The arguments never end....

If only the GD would have stuck with just one keyboard player. The planet would most certainly be at peace.

....no blood relation, but thats over rated to begin with. Its all about family. Three granddaughters pictured here. I have more that are scattered across the country. Girls are plentiful on my wife's side of the family. Lol. The middle one is the rebel. Gotta have at least one. One is her boyfriend who is transgender. He's cool.
RIP John Lennon. He is gone as long as he was here.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I'm doing all right. Focused on taking care of my 91-yr-old father to ensure he doesn't face the same fate. And nursing a broken leg that I gave myself three weeks ago en route to the recording studio with a heavy Fender amp. Oy! Did my final slide solo of the project in one take and went home; got medical attention the next day and had a hairline fracture in the distal fibula. My first broken bone ever! But no sympathy needed there, obviously, we have bigger concerns for our countrymen and people all over the world, right? Though I am getting a bit antsy limping around in the "boot." I had a harp-playing buddy over on the back porch yesterday to jam some blues in the sunshine and man, that felt good. It'd been two months since we played last. But we're not moving indoors and my local bars are all closed.

I'm way more concerned for my aunt and cousins; theirs is the more acute loss. My Uncle Bill was a classic -- Harvard Ph.D., led several universities, erudite, accomplished and with a wicked sense of humor. One fond memory is teaching him to use a potato cannon and inadvertently guiding him in aiming it, which unfortunately was over a major, nearby highway. Which we realized just after he had squeezed the trigger. Bam! a several pound Russet potato flying over an upstate New York freeway. What could possibly go wrong?

Five, ten seconds we all held our breath, waiting for the crunch of metal, and the screams. Nothing. Success! Or at least no jail time for criminally negligent homicide. Uncle Bill's ruddy complexion briefly paled just a bit as he grasped the potentialities. He shouldn't have left life like this, but he's at peace now. Please everyone take great care to stay safe. We gotta save lives and get through this to enable us to hang in person again. Gawd, I miss that.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try to return to posting fun nonsense, my specialty.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Keep your big-picture attitude stoked and best of luck HF. Shine on brother. RIP Uncle Bill of the Potato Cannon Episode ;-) Your dad is a lucky man to have you keeping an eye on him. And may your hairline fracture mend ahead of schedule – step gingerly. If only more of us could realize we're faced with an equal-opportunity global pandemic, and maybe tamp down some of the "trampled-rights" hand-wringing, we might get through this a little faster.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

a nice Daves

Daves number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9....

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

....mixes favorite music, with favorite beer, favorite authors and favorite films. With family and with friends.
Onward as they say.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

I never know what to say when someone tells me that they lost someone. Sorry never seems to help much and most of the time I just stand there looking stupid kicking the dirt around and looking at my shoes. I had a favorite unkle too, he was so cool. This fucking covid sucks, can't wait till this is behind us. Keep on Keeping on HF, I hope that helps some.

I just clicked on your icon to have a better look at your family....and noticed all those shows you saw. Crikey-I'm impressed !

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

We bathe you in kindness, the only thing (besides music) that all of us can share.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Daverock said "crikey," one of the coolest words in ... whatever language that is.

And unkle sam said "Keep on keepin' on," which is the soundest advice.

The sun is about to rise over a cold Colorado plain that hosts Denver and I'm alive. Thanks to all.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Loved it..

and apparently the double post from my evil twin loved it too.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Loved it..

...and speaks to my alter ego, JimminmdCrikety

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Steve Irwin said it all the time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Sorry I started the conversation on Jerry's Port Chester guitar a few days ago and then showed up late on the follow up. Have some family stuff going on.

I'm not sure how this peanut guitar eluded my Google search, but it did. It has seemed obvious to me for a while that he was playing something in between the SG and the Stratocaster, but the Garcia guitar sites I found always seem to ignore early '71.

These new freshly mixed shows renewed my curiosity, so I finally emailed DL to see if he had any info. He replied with a picture that looks similar to the one that I posted (except the camera focus was on Garcia's face, and the guitar was blurry - similar to the picture in the booklet of the CD). Written in the white photo margin it says: Capital Theater, Portchester, NY. There is a first initial/last name, I presume of the photographer, but I can't make out the cursive penmanship).

I still have not caught up on the posts about this guitar - that's my next move. Jim, I saw your post right after mine when I paged back through the message board. I look forward to reading others' comments. Will catch up soon. Thanks again.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Cone Kid - Funny.. you're right.. Crickey, did you see how fast that crocodile bit off Jerry's Middle Finger.

RIP Steve Irwin.

Edit: Daverock, just to be safe, stay away from any dangerous or poisonous creatures, especially stingrays, crocodiles and short ugly squatty yellow dogs.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Did you see how fast that bowl of electric Kool aid disappeared?

It’s gonna be a hot one tonight.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim - I haven't seen any animals like the ones you describe, but there is someone round here who takes his pet stoat out for a walk on a lead. Least I think its a stoat - I'm not sure what the heck it is. I don't feel inclined to tickle it under the chin, that's for sure.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

....I used to have a pet iguana. Had him when I met my now wife. She hates reptiles, but liked me more I guess. He had a collar for walks and rode on my shoulder. He was about 4 feet long. Died from a virus years ago.
"NO MORE REPTILES!" she says.
I bet I could sneak a gecko tank in the spare room and she wouldn't even notice.
No wonder Alligator is a top 10 Dead song for me.

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I grew up in NC but moved out to Wyoming in '97. Me, Jeremy and his buddy Spike the hedgehog did the road-trip together. Hedgehogs are mostly nocturnal, so while we powered across the country, we would let him out to cruise around the big dashboard while we were driving at night. He loved it.
It was Jeremy C's VW van and his hedgehog, and one of the best journeys of my life. Aside from the DEAD, it was the most important and impactful journey of my life.
Went for a summer....stayed for 22 years.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hey All
I just got an email update about DaP #38. Looks like we are going back to the year of my birth- 1973 for #38. Specifically 9/8/73. The bonus disc is from 9/7 and Dave has also given us more 9/7 filler on the 3 discs. It looks like we are getting the bulk of 9/7 show along the complete 9/8 show. That is shaping up to be, like many other picks with bonus discs as mini box set. Dave and Co they always take care of us and they treat us right. I am pumped up!

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

So, I happened to have attended 9-8-73 with a friend who drove. We got busted that night after returning home from a truly killer, off-the-hook show (I still clearly remember the place surging during Trucking, as well as Bill Graham's excoriation of the cops, who were using the show for entrapment).

The show was packed, super rockin', and reports are that the first night was quite hot, so the bonus material will make this four-disc set a freakin' bomb!

Very happy with this choice and SO looking forward to hearing the music for the first time in a mere 47 years.

That is all, hendrixfreak is happy with the first two choices of 2021. As if anyone but me cares!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

This '73 choice confirms for me (magically, logically, if not in reality -- who cares about whatever that is) that the box set for 2021 is going to be a fall '72 box.

There is some logic to that and, if it happens, some magic.

Whether it's real, we should know in maybe 4-5 months. Hope we all make that far.

Now THAT is all. As Bobby would annoyingly say at break time, "Feel free to converse amongst yourselves."

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

not one but TWO shows I am not familiar with.

9/8/73 and bonus disc material from 9/7/73.

9/11/73 is phenomenal, of course. I have heard (YEARS AGO) 9/21/73, and 9/26/73. Other than that, I know next to nothing about September 73.

Yahoo!!!

I hereby request some 69 Grateful Dead, please Dave. such as...6/5/69 :)))

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Cool. Look forward to another subscription year.

I think you are on to something... I'm all in.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Looks great to me, my copy is very good, so the "official" should be GREAT.

Really looking forward to this one.

..... now where did I put that download link for AB-AS,,,,, oh that's right, IT DOESN"T WORK!!!!

38 lookin great!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

From 7/5/97: 8) That takes us up to the September run. (we really do not need
to get into the soundcheck dealy right!!) Well right away 9/8/73
sticks out begging for attention. Even the night before (9/7/73)
had fairly thrilling versions of TLEO, Jack Straw, PITB, WRS-
>Let it Grow.There is not a weak moment from "Truckin' "
through the ending tune "Sugar Magnolia". Even as good as this
night must sound, the following night things really explode. I
really can't put my finger on it because from the songlist, there is
nothing apparently compelling. Well, you guys will soon find out
what I mean, since I intend to release this one whenever the time
is right.

I can see what he means regarding the paper of the setlist. No Playing, Dark Star, Other One, but I've learned through many shows with uninspiring setlists with absolutely inspiring playing that it's more than what's on the page. Of course, the Dead didn't use a paper setlist, but they still would consciously choose not to rely on one of those big workhorses occasionally. Of course, having a world class version of Eyes helps the case for release. Looking forward to this one. Still looking forward to DaP 36 as well. I've been told by Dr Rhino that I should be receiving replacements for the ones that still went to my old address, but no one knows when as he can't get a hold of the warehouse staff who did fulfill another order I made under the 15% off promo... I may just get one on ebay and sell it later. I had to get the Buffalo 5/9/77 vinyl on ebay after somebody finally had a reasonable price (yet still inflated above what dead.net would likely sell it for). But that one record store had already sold 38 copies. Now that pisses me off, because a record store in Iowa doesn't need 40 copies of the Dead RSD release to sell on ebay underneath a market that has already pushed them to $165 on average. This somewhat takes the edge off of DaP 35-37 being totally underwhelming Picks. I can't honestly critique 36 since I haven't heard it, but that's through no fault of my own, and certainly not for a lack of trying.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-2021-subscription.html