• 54 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    This 5LP set is strictly limited to 5,000 copies.

As you're likely now aware, we'll be reissuing some of the Dave's Picks releases on vinyl, re-mastered from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman. We won't be releasing them all, but we'll be curating some of our and your favourites on an occasional basis. Last year, Vol. 1 from 5/25/77 came out on vinyl, and the second release will be Vol. 23, the magnificent show from 1/22/78 in Eugene, OR. This show is dynamite from start to finish, with a few upper-tier Grateful Dead moments from the 1977-1978 period. The unique "Close Encounters" theme and "St. Stephen" are the centrepieces of what is considered one of 1978's best second sets. We have more great Dave's Picks planned for vinyl release, so stay tuned, but for now we hope you'll dig the long-sold-out-on-CD Vol. 23. - David Lemieux

Close encounters in Eugene, Oregon! We are not alone in saying this one could be considered top-of-line Grateful Dead from 1978. Yes, as the tales have been told, 1/22/78 conjured up vibes of the Be-in, Altamont, Yippies, Psychedelia, Woodstock, Free Speech, Acid Trips, heaven for one lucky concert-goer, and of course, aliens. If you wanna know what we're on about, there's no better way to experience the show than with this lovingly-restored version from legendary sound engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson's recordings. Witness sets packed with bright and vibrant gems like a surprisingly heavy "Row Jimmy," a freshly tender "Ship Of Fools," and a transcendental "The Other One." And if you have levitated too far, Jerry's "Close Encounters" solo (ironic, we know) will reel you back in and set you right up for the powerful crescendo of "St. Stephen" and the band's shake-it-all-about boogie-down finale.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • wharfrat6969
    Default Avatar

Well?

• itsburnsy

Yeah, these discs are screwed, especially sides 2 and 3 for me. When I asked for a refund all I got was an undeliverable message, BOOOOOO! Got me thinking about future vinyl purchases for sure, this one just.doesn't.cut.it. PM to Marye, our resident hero...

• tborgfo@gmail.com
    Default Avatar

Took me awhile to find how to comment - I've had similar quality issues with DP Vol. 23 - every disc sounds like someone walked on it. Side 2 Peggy-O has a blemish that sounds like it would take the diamond off the cantilever.
    Quality inspection!
    Will take a good look at ordering any additional vinyl. You spend this kind of $$, you should expect a good product. Quite a difference to the 1977-05-07 Boston RSD release.

Tom B.

• Colin Gould

Thanks Will. Hope you get it all sorted out soon.

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

You were spot on - yep, new to private messages!

• marye
    Please send me a PM with the details so we can address this. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.
  • Colin Gould

Have you tried sending a direct message to MARYE as she asked in her message below?

Edit: If you haven’t done it before just click on her name in her post and a private message box will appear.

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Now my messages to Damage Report WMG have been bounced as non deliverable 🤷🏻‍♂️. And my original message here which met the big brother text criteria was bounced as well.

• marye
    Please send me a PM with details and I'll get this to the Doc. So sorry for the aggravation.
  • gpesanti
    Default Avatar
    Damaged Vinyl No Response From Dead.net period

Mine arrived trashed and Warner music refuses to respond, as a lifelong fan I have never been more disappointed and or disgusted. The one that was semi playable was mixed at the lowest volume possible, the other’s are mess and the 3rd lp I got is trashed. Thanks dead.net I really appreciate being screwed over by you..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

This 5LP set is strictly limited to 5,000 copies.

As you're likely now aware, we'll be reissuing some of the Dave's Picks releases on vinyl, re-mastered from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman. We won't be releasing them all, but we'll be curating some of our and your favourites on an occasional basis. Last year, Vol. 1 from 5/25/77 came out on vinyl, and the second release will be Vol. 23, the magnificent show from 1/22/78 in Eugene, OR. This show is dynamite from start to finish, with a few upper-tier Grateful Dead moments from the 1977-1978 period. The unique "Close Encounters" theme and "St. Stephen" are the centrepieces of what is considered one of 1978's best second sets. We have more great Dave's Picks planned for vinyl release, so stay tuned, but for now we hope you'll dig the long-sold-out-on-CD Vol. 23. - David Lemieux

Close encounters in Eugene, Oregon! We are not alone in saying this one could be considered top-of-line Grateful Dead from 1978. Yes, as the tales have been told, 1/22/78 conjured up vibes of the Be-in, Altamont, Yippies, Psychedelia, Woodstock, Free Speech, Acid Trips, heaven for one lucky concert-goer, and of course, aliens. If you wanna know what we're on about, there's no better way to experience the show than with this lovingly-restored version from legendary sound engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson's recordings. Witness sets packed with bright and vibrant gems like a surprisingly heavy "Row Jimmy," a freshly tender "Ship Of Fools," and a transcendental "The Other One." And if you have levitated too far, Jerry's "Close Encounters" solo (ironic, we know) will reel you back in and set you right up for the powerful crescendo of "St. Stephen" and the band's shake-it-all-about boogie-down finale.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

Took me awhile to find how to comment - I've had similar quality issues with DP Vol. 23 - every disc sounds like someone walked on it. Side 2 Peggy-O has a blemish that sounds like it would take the diamond off the cantilever.
Quality inspection!
Will take a good look at ordering any additional vinyl. You spend this kind of $$, you should expect a good product. Quite a difference to the 1977-05-07 Boston RSD release.

Tom B.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yeah, these discs are screwed, especially sides 2 and 3 for me. When I asked for a refund all I got was an undeliverable message, BOOOOOO! Got me thinking about future vinyl purchases for sure, this one just.doesn't.cut.it. PM to Marye, our resident hero...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead-1/daves-picks-vol.-23-eugene-or-12278-5lp/081227883157.html