• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • SPACEBROTHER

I got a bonus sticker with the bonus disc.

• Vguy72

....and I caved and got the shirt too. Figuring how a probably saved a lot of money the past year by not going to concerts, I figured I would splurge on myself. Shirt looks cool.

• Oroborous

Security was not, front row! Woohoo!

How will Dave make us laugh/smile this time ; )

• JoshByTheBay

Cannot wait for the Seaside Chat!!!

• Vguy72

....i waited all night to get front row tix.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 10 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Security was not, front row! Woohoo!

How will Dave make us laugh/smile this time ; )

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....and I caved and got the shirt too. Figuring how a probably saved a lot of money the past year by not going to concerts, I figured I would splurge on myself. Shirt looks cool.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Gave #37 a re-listen last night, really looking forward to this one though. Long tent pole show, first in a while.....

Dave you b******d, didn’t even give us a crumb, LOL.
Just “it’s gonna be a good year”, ssssshhheeeoooottt, it’s May already,
some of us might not make it ; )

In the mean time, I do luvs me sum 73!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It does look like Ann "Skelletor" Coulter...lol

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

An excellent choice, Dave. Best guitar separation of Bobby and Jerry ever. Ramble On Rose, as noted, really highlights.

Bobby is best heard with a piano rather than an organ, which almost totally washes all his chord comping. No crowd noise either.

As I said at the beginning, excellent choice, Dave. What else ya got?

Byrd

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I'm looking forward to this release more than I have any other for quite some time. I think the fact that I didn't subscribe meant that I might miss out - so when my payment finally went through I felt more appreciative than I normally do

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Can someone who has received theirs please share with us the song list?
Sounds like potentially a couple hours worth...though if you add the 2 9/7 songs listed on the track listing for DaP 38, that’s about 32 minutes. The written description near page bottom says about 35 minutes, and Dave says about 40 minutes...yes I am greedy and want every luscious moment I can get ; )

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Listening party soundz a lot like DP #37...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I haven’t listened but it looked funny; like, where’s the Candyman?
Ooopppss

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Always nice to have these new releases going into a weekend so they can get their due (Dew?)
Bonus disc is niiiiiice.

Also got mine in a very tightly sealed carboard box, which was in a green plastic bag. No chance it could get accidentally damaged or wet unless it was a steamroller. So odd there are clearly differing levels of attention in this detail as they go out.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by ststephen123

Ok...got mine today...will give 'er a spin...one thing though...I noticed for # 37 and the new one that they now ship in flimsy plastic mailers that offer no protection...previously we were getting them in small sturdy cardboard mailers...I'm afraid that with these plastic bags someone is going to get a damaged set...just my two centavos...excuse me now...gotta spin this before wifey gets home from work...

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by nappyrags

My DaP 38 was in a cardboard box which was then in a plastic bag.

Oro,
Most of Set 2 is on the bonus disc (I think, don’t have it in front of me). Bird Song is filler on CD2 and Playing is filler on CD3.

Edit:
There are 2 Stella Blues too. Played two nights in a row.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The Listening Party - nice though it is - consists of, as remarked earlier, tracks from DP 37, to wit, Let It Grow, Deal (end of set 1), and Candyman (track 3 from set 2).

But as my copy of DP 38 hasn't arrived yet, I'd like to hear the WRS, Ramble On Rose, and He's Gone.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 10 months

38 is now on sale to the general public and still no shipping notification for me in Denver. Don’t leave me hanging Dave! Excited for this release

wheeeeeerezzzzz my copy???

gimme gimme gimme
I need some more
gimme gimme gimme
don't ask what for

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....i think they posted the wrong show.
edit. Ah. I see some of you have already noticed this.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

It would be a really nice t-shirt too, if it didn’t have Dave’s name plastered across the front. Is it a Grateful Dead t-shirt or a Dave t-shirt? Who the fuck knows? Take your pick.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

O.K. I gave it a second lesson on a different stereo system altogether. The first was with four speaker surround-sound, the second with just floorstanding speakers. I can still hear some kind of distortion or something going on. At first I thought it was the cymbals being too high in the mix. Not sure what it is.

Overall an excellent release. But, the sound quality keeps it below DaP5.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 10 months

I'm calling BS on the listening party tracks. The LIG is clearly from '77 era shows. And the other two tracks [ROR/He's Gone] don't match what's actually included in the stream. What do I win Jim?

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Very brief comment, as I have only had a chance to listen to first disc... the distortion I hear most shows up most clearly on some vocals, for example, esp. Jerry on Sugaree... mikes seem to be bit over modulated, levels a tad too high. The sibilants (Shake... juSt... Sugaree... ) usually will show it, could be a too close encounter with the mike, because its not heard on all sibilants... just SSSSSayin'

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 2 months

Is that a Taylor Swift t-shirt underneath there?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

After looking thru all the stuff in the Store, I think a name change to the Daveful Dead is probably in order. We never had an Owsley, Candalario, Healy, Betty, Bob, Bobby, Jerry, Phil, Billy, Mickey, etc., Dead, but hey, now, times change and who the hell will all be around to argue once the lawyers are done.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

The second part of the listening party (Deal, Candyman) might be from Dave's Picks vol. 37!
In this very moment I realize Deadeasy posted the same!
Well in 2 hours it's May here in europe!
Love
RNB

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Bonus disc filler Schwing

Bird Song ** Playing in The Band
Let It Grow -> Stella Blue
Truckin -> Drums -> The Other One Jam -> Eyes of the World -> Sugar Magnolia

Probably one or two more songs with the big jams. There's a lot of good stuff from 9/7/73 first set. Hopefully it's a couple of these They Love Each other El Paso or Row Jimmy Looks Like Rain back to back combo. There's been some smoking jams from 1973 on the tapers section here recently and these two nights at Nassau Coliseum have some of that same stardust

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Love the nod to David Byrd’s poster for the Nassau shows in March on the 15th & 16th, (and then a third night on the 19th not mentioned on the poster), with the folks in the background! He’s Truckin’ and She’s Posin’ as Byrd’s poster says next to these same characters! Excellent work Helen Kennedy!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have known Jay Kerley for going on 50 years. The man is in the know. Pretty sure I went to more Dead concerts over the years with Jay than anyone. Big up!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

The Deal on that listening party, sure sound a lot like something from say 1978 when Donna is screeching towards the end of the song. I've never heard that in prior years and certainly not 1973.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Thankfully. Just finished it. Gorgeous He's Gone and Ramble On Rose, and a mighty fine debut of Weather Report Suite. Always been a fan of the whole thing more than what I feel is more abrupt and incomplete Let It Grow. Which, I still would have been pumped for a Let It Grow, especially set closer, but my introduction to the song was Jazz is Dead in 1999 when I heard their ripping jazz fusion instrumental version with Jimmy Herring playing the vocal lines, as well as searing leads and rapidfire rhythm https://youtu.be/UzpeMhtxrF4
I was blown away. Within the year, I happened upon the newly released Dick' Picks 14, which apparently was the last one to come out while Dick was still around, and here was 4cds of this band I had some familiarity with (Cornell, 3/1/69, 9/3/77), and here were 2 shows from an era I didn't have with songs I had just gotten to know in an instrumental jazz fusion fashion. And this set had not one, but two versions, and two Playing in the Bands, and opened and ended with Morning Dew. All there at Best Buy for like 25 bucks. So, made the easy call, and while I enjoyed the set a lot, it didn't initiate the deep dive into the Dead that took about a decade to really commence. And by that point I was catching up on DiP 12 with the monster WRS> Jam> US Blues, and the Winterland '73 box with its three excellent WRSuites, so this release is right in my wheelhouse. Can't wait for it to arrive. Received a shipping notice about 1am, still no tracking, but one can hope it's already out and about looking for me. The Listening Party was a good snack...

Oh, and was able to get another glass, so two for two thus far, and also got the shirt. Liked the look of it, and it not having a skull on it may allow me to wear around the wife without her pointing out the shirt I have on has a skeleton on it.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

The eyes from the bonus disk is real fine. Jerry really hits the high notes at the 16:55 minute mark. I also picked up the t-shirt which I love. P.S.- Is it me or does the crow on the bonus disk have a couple of claws twisted 180° in the wrong direction?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

But I was initially hoping for an official release of 6-9 and 10-73, which would be swell!

Maybe Dick Latvala didn't think it was that good but a lot of other heads, me included, seems to think so. I have a tape of 6-10-73 since 1985 but a bit muddy sounded and not in chronological order. It would be great to have it in order mastered by Jeffrey Norman. Including the third set with the Allmans of course. :-)

But I will appreciate DP 38 for the time being. ;-)
It was shipped on April 23rd and will hopefully be here before the end of May, or at least early June. :-)

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by deadmike

For the 50th anniversary of the Europe 72 tour I'd like to see the powers that be select a few of the shows and apply all of the new technology available to enhance the sound quality (Plangent etc...) of these shows. (Give Jeffrey some time). I'd buy it.

But it does look like her, dang Dave, gone Madonna on us?

Thanks for the cover art catch being from the spring show, not sure I would have caught that! And as I posted on 37, I have that poster.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Dead.net WEB Site could use some TLC . Get rid of the "Who Are You" pop up (don't mind the song). Lately it seems every icon click leads to the table of contents instead of interior web pages. Did the monkey grab the keys to the IT Control Room? Would rather order merch from my laptop or desktop not my iphone. Oh Well, going to get some new flagpole rope to fly my new STEALIE flag.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

I listened to the CD’s and all played fine with no distortion or audio problems. Have the files on a computer now as I convert to various formats for use on music players.

Note: on crappy computer speakers there is a lot of distortion (mostly Phil). I didn’t notice any when I played the CD’s on my stereo system.

Bonus track list:
111:37

Bird Song
Playing
Here Comes Sunshine
Let It Grow>
Stella Blue
Truckin’>
Drums>
Other One Jam>
Eyes>
Sugar Mag

Edit:
Now playing the bonus disc on home stereo and there is no distortion or audio problems.
When playing the files on a computer the audio levels (as shown by the audio software) were close to saturation. So, if you hear distortion try it on better speakers. This may account for the previous posts by people who listened with headphones and thought they detected distortion and/or saturation.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....I know. Toxic.
Seabird17 got a Stealie flag!
Now that's a flag I can get behind! Unlike the flags that perminated recent years. But I digress.
Edit....Nassau arriving on
May Day.
Double bonus bonus.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Just found the Dave's picks sticker in my bonus CD..nice touch! 👍

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by deadtony

So I was reading an article about Jerry Garcia and the line where it said he died at the age of 53 really set me back. 53. Wow.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html