• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Tomorrow’s vinyl release probably counts as one.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

thanks, your memory is good. When talking of Buckeye a few weeks back thought it was you there but read the post that it wasnt. Thanks for the answer, so sorry i am constantly behind. I am getting there but folks are really gettin there and I have to help some...

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Billy the Kid raises a good question: will it be a full 1973 show? Are there really 2cd shows in '73? My vote would be 2/9/73 for all the debuts and its general magnificence. Awaiting Skull and Roses, which will be cool, never had a physical copy of that one. But really looking forward to trying my hand at Record Store Day tomorrow to get 5/3/72 Olympia Theatre, Paris. My first time to stand in line, if there is one, for RSD anyway. I've only done two other RSDs, and that was because I had a band playing. The second time, I was sure I didn't need to stand in line for Billy Breathes, Phish's best album, but was sorely mistaken, as it sold out quickly, and the owner had gotten maybe a dozen copies. I've called around to several places tonight and it may be dicey. The clerks on the phone seem to think the pricing may be prohibitive to selling out in the first hour... For anyone else venturing out tomorrow morning, may the force be with you!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Wow, I had a dream last night,,,, based off all the hockey talk and meeting famous people. I have never met anyone, but last night I dreamed the famous hockey player came in the store,,, Franco Harris!

When I woke up I thought, wasn't he a football player?

He had big hands!

You can sometimes obtain an unopened copy 9-15 months later for less than the original selling price.
But not always, which is the gamble that must be assessed.

But what really boggles the mind is that this one has yet to sell out, although it’s priced more than what I paid at a local shop when it originally came out.
Did they print more copies than what it says on the release, or did people just not want it?

https://store.dead.net/music/lp/fillmore-west-san-francisco-ca-2-28-69-…

Not wanting to take that chance on a Europe '72 show. Plus, the 2/28/69 vinyl is a special case, because they royally screwed that release up. It was "released" to record stores, but not shipped to them before orders were placed. It wasn't an RSD thing where product was delivered with instructions not to sell until RSD, so some stores were fulfilling months later, while others seemed to have gotten physical copies and shipped them out. I had 3 different orders for it, 2 of them canceled by the store, the last canceled by me after the 4th order came in from England. And I had placed the orders in June I believe and received in September, and the very next day dead.net put them onsale here. For more than I paid. And to make matters worse, 3/1/69 seems delayed by 2 years...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Hola, good to see ya, hope your doing well!
As Conekid said the “other one”, my bazaro Jerry alternate double, is the Sculptor with the cool older stories than thou.
Unfortunately, we haven’t heard from my good twin in way too long! If your out there amigo, hope your doing well.
Or SKULLTRIP? Where you boys at?

As I think I explained, at Buckeye 88, I had just broken my ankle so was kinda over the top on “snacks” and kinda miserable. It wasn’t the best place for crutches lol. We were just to the sorta front right of the soundboard.
That show has really grown on me over the years.

DENNIS 😁

WOTF Bonus; wondering if he’ll do a chop job?
You’d think he’d go with I believe 9/15 or 9/17, since they have six songs off the yet to be released WOTF album.
There both pretty good shows too! Personally I like the horns once in awhile as it’s yet another version of the band, but I feel like most people slag em. They would be the most appropriate, but as we’ve seen so far his/their idea of this and ours are often very different lol.

FOLSOM 15th: had a decent tape of the second set that I loved as a kid. Haven’t heard that show in forever.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks man.. for reposting the Skull and Roses Seaside Chat and clarification on remaining releases. If I am hearing this correctly, he says besides the four Dave's Picks there are three more or at least three more.. but he doesn't feel an urgent need to discuss this, not being secretive, etc. because Rhino does such a great job announcing these releases, yada yada.

So if there are an additional three, we have Skullfuck, the Record Store Day release and the mysterious, elusive, not discussed box set. That would make three, right? Hopefully more but I am not sure he told us much.

Oh.. I had never seen that seaside chat before and it might be my favorite one so far. I need to watch it start to finish first.. but in this episode of Seaside Chat Fugitive.. Dave L, with his dark maroon tinted sunglasses knows his freedom is in jeopardy. He keeps looking over his shoulder, looking up, looking left, looking right.. every two and a half seconds he is looking behind him.. Is that an eagle or the cops? He remains jittery, like he knows they are closing in on him.. they know who he is, where he is, his deepest secrets.. they are tapping his phones, have frozen his assets.. the Marshalls (Mounties) are closing in and there is nothing he can do but run from justice and continue living on the lamb. It has been weeks without any real sleep and fear of being captured has taken hold of all his senses each and every second of a 24 hour day... Mr. Lemieux knows deep down inside the jig is up.

Stay tuned for the next episode of Seaside Chat Fugitive where David L. discusses the Summer 1973 Box Set and gets a passport under his new identity from the dark web, just in the nick of time. (or is this all a setup, a ruse to draw out of hiding)? Stay tuned to find out, and be kind.. subscribe.

Found this item I wrote on my FB page 2 years ago today....

"I really don’t care much about hockey, but the idea that 17,000 Bruin fans are gonna go home pissed off makes me cross eyed giggly with delight! Oooh another goal, 4-0 Blues... way to defend home ice Boston..."

It's a thing maybe not today or yesterday or whatever but for a city of 700,000 the teams of all sports have historically been badass. And the city is more psychotically sport crazy than cities 11 or 12 times as big hint hint

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

Does anyone know why only 10 songs from 7/02/71 are being released

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I believe that they don't have the whole show in the vault, I think that somebody mentioned that on here. I hope that they release full shows for Bears Choice & Wake of the flood, I'm more than happy to pay the extra money for an extra CD rather then get a chopped up show.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Hope everybody else looking for it is able to snag 5/3/72. Sweet packaging, love they kept the colorful track listing. Had forgotten the show has Sing Me Back Home and Wharf Rat, plus He's Gone, so those three plus that massive Other One makes it worth it. Plus 5.5 180g LPs for $145 is a good deal. Waited in line over an hour for a small record store doing their first ever RSD, and when I got my chance I asked where the Dead release could be found, was handed the last copy, and immediately checked out. They told me that one of their regular customers had told them he had a dream that he got in a fight with somebody over them getting the last copy of 5/3/72, and they were egging me on to find the guy. I was like, "No thanks, I'll just take a bag, and shuffle away." Hope that guy gets his copy and doesn't have to fight for it. Enjoy thy weekends everyone!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I guess that any Dead is good Dead
So I took what I could get
Yes I took what I could get
She looked at me with those big dilated pupiled eyes and said
"Where TF is that box seeeeeeeeeeetsetsetsetset?"

Good stuff, Maynard

Also good: 11 15 71

Drove through Ballard neighborhood this mo"nin'
Saw a big line up
"Why?"
Alv answers my Q
RSD!
Sonic Boom is a recstore in Ballard

Fascinating, sez Spock

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

I logged on to Rough Trade Records about 15 minutes ago, and was informed I was about number 1,500 in a queue. I was also informed that I would be likely to be let through the virtual door in about 2 minutes. And I was. And there was Paris 5/3/72 waiting for me. I had a seconds doubt.. I have had the show on cd for 10 years...but then bosh...now I have it on vinyl too.
There is still nothing like listening to actual records for me, and all the recent Dead I have bought on vinyl has been exceptional-without exception. Not quite as hungry for that box now.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Happy Record Store Day! Or should we say, Record Scalpers’ Day?

I went downtown this morning and got in line about an hour before my local record store was due to open, and I wasn’t surprised to see that there was already a line down the block and around the corner. From what I’d heard, that was normal for RSD, and that’s the reason I’d never tried to get there early before. I always figured that, no matter how early I got up, there’d be people who got up earlier, and those door busting early birdies would get all the good stuff and I’d be picking through the picked over remains.

But this year I gave it a try, for one reason and one reason only: the Paris ‘72 vinyl set. I really really wanted that one. Even more than I really really wanted the Buffalo ’77 vinyl set last year. So I got in line, behind maybe 70-80 people, and waited. And waited. An hour later, the line started to move. About 45 minutes after that, I was within 30 feet of the door, hoping for the best. The people in line definitely didn’t look like Deadheads, so I figured there was a chance they’d still have a copy of the Olympia vinyl by the time I got in. But just before I did, a guy from the store came outside and made an announcement like, “hey, thanks for coming, blah blah, and oh by the way, if you’re here for the Grateful Dead or Lady Gaga, we sold out on those right away.” (The Dead and Lady Gaga... there's a pairing I wouldn't have expected.)

So I left, after two hours, without ever getting into the store, and without a copy of the Paris set. When I got home, I went online, and yep, just as I suspected, there’s about 100 copies available on eBay, selling for about $225 and up.

Oh well. I’m not sure whether Record Store Day really helps those independent record stores so much, but it’s like Christmas in June for the flippers and scalpers.

I didn’t wait in line, I figured that f I get a copy I get a copy.
Arrived at the store around 12:30 pm and there were a lot of people in the store and outside but no line to get in.
Grabbed 1 of the 3 copies of 5-3-72 that were still available ($139.10 after tax) and waited a couple of minutes in line to check out.
Listened to the first side and it sounded pretty good. Will do the whole show tonight.

Of note, last year I went to the same store on Tuesday after RSD and there were 2 copies of 5-9-77 still available. There was another guy there who grabbed one and I grabbed the other.

This year I decided that I would go on RSD but wasn’t going to wait in line.
My plan paid off.

So what was my RSD disappointment?
The taco shop across the street was closed. I was so set on getting tacos after getting some vinyl….. :(

I too venture out for my first foray into RSD.

I saw the comments about long lines the other day, found the "big" local store, called because their webpage said they were opening at 5 AM. No that was wrong, they were opening at 7 and had 5 copies.

Got up at 530, there by 6. Line around building. Took a 1/2 hour for the line to move up and they gave you a ticket with a number. Mine was 115. They let 20 at a time at the RSD stuff. 1.5 Hours my turn, none left.

Thought about driving to the other "local little", decided to head home. Got home call the other joint, yeah I got 3 sitting here with 9 more coming. Drive downtown, waited on line again for 30 minutes,,,, all gone.

Guy says UPS is bring 9 more TODAY. Give us your number and will call when here. OK. Almost get home and they call UPS has been there and they got one for me. Turn around, head back,,,,, still a line. 45 minute wait. Go in and guy hands me one. They also had a copy of The Very Best of Jerry Garcia (5 LPs),,, 90 bucks. Grab that too because it was limited to 4,000. What the hell.

So I was on the road or in line from 5:30 until 1:30,,,, worth the wait? I got em, but..........

The whole time I thought is this suppose to endear me to come to brick and mortar record stores??? If so they failed!

The silver lining to it all is you get to hang out in lines like the old days of getting tickets and meet the people around you. They may not be there for the dead, but they are there for music. The old thing,,,,, yes odder than Franco Harris,,, yakking with this guy, says he's a drummer and metal is his thing. I tell him my boss knows, knew, Dimebag, he grew up with the guy. He played in a band that opened for Pantera on two tours. The guy was wait, you said your boss's name is Mike,,,, Mike what. Mike Madison I say, his band was Red something. I know Mike,,,, we worked together 30 years ago at this record store, used to go to the same parties!

It really can be a small world!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

That's a good suggestion, I was there for those two shows, my first foray into Colorado for shows. I should dig out my recordings of the shows, although they probably aren't great, as I recall I was in the bleachers recording.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

Decided to try a small Denver area record store. If there was a line, I was leaving.
Showed up at 10. No line. Uh oh...
Asked manager if they still had copies.
He hands one to me. I buy it.
3 minutes. I'm gone.
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today?

Dennis, Crow, icecrmcnkd et al - love the stories on how things went for RSD. Sorry it wasn’t always what you hoped, but it is a super-hyped event now, and I wonder how many of the guys jumping on the bandwagon are shelling out the big bucks, but then get home and are gripped by extreme Buyer’s Remorse?
Dennis - great story on a “small world”, and a reminder of how much fun it used to be to line up for tickets at box offices long before the Ticketmasters etc changed the game.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

By the sound of it, RSD is the worst day of the year to go to a record shop. I have always managed to buy what I have wanted-sometimes from an independent shop - online. Sometimes I have paid more than the asking price on the infamous day, and sometimes - 5/19/74, for example - considerably less.

I did used to go to record shops, and buy up, whenever I went to London in pre Covid days - just not on RSD. Hopefully those days will come again.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by nitecat

Nitecat, I was there too...we ran into each other on the flight home. The set lists were nothing special(except the hot aforementioned UJB -> Playin' -> UJB), but the playing was stellar, they sounded very tight and rehearsed. June '80 had some great moments besides Boulder; Portland, Seattle and Alaska are all good.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Dock Ellis pitched a no hitter today 51 years ago . He didn't know he had to pitch that day, so he dosed, but he still went out and took care of business. Final score. Pittsburg 2. San. Diego. 0 No hitter

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by WharfratWhitey

Simple tasks can befuddle me when tripping. How on earth? I guess he got in the zone and never broke his concentration.

I have to wonder if anyone ever tried this again?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....need a vote amongst my fellow dead.netters. Yay, or Nay.
Baked Alaska. I brought that up years ago it seems.
Reading up on RSD stories. Waiting in line is a prime time to banter with other in liners. Make some friends along the way!
I was busy buying a new car.
Google buying cars and its not pretty.
I know. I work in the automobile industry. The lots are dry.
Ugh.

Nappy - I like the look of those tee shirts put together by djtees that you mentioned the other day. The Happy Trails one is the one I would go for - hopefully they do long sleeved ones.
Hot Dead show for me yesterday was 5/14/78 from 30 Trips. The Eyes is a bit boy racy, but the rest of it is right in the pocket-great Estimated.
Top non Dead-Kind of Blue - perfect for this time of year. Or any other, come to that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I love that story.
Reminds me of what a friend once said. “ Cocaine is for people who can’t handle acid”.

Fuck the weasel dust.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Idaho, Alaska

Her New Jersey.

Alaska box set, YES!! Those shows Rock the casbah!
Or was that Egypt?
Egypt-sheen Egypt-shine, she was a jackal headed woman with a large kimbo “ Firesign Theater

I know you're used to the heat being where you are but take care this coming week...Living at Altitude we will have low 90 degree temps and all kinds of heat warnings are popping up everywhere for here...down at Phantom Ranch along the Colorado River temp forecasts are calling for up to 120 degrees by mid week...I always tell folk on tours that temps at the bottom of the Canyon correspond with Las Vegas & Phoenix...worst of all because of high heat, drought and no humidity Park Service has put a ban on open campfires and Charcoal BBQ usage for the time being, so no Asada for me...be well my friend...

For Alaska! Did those shows somewhat recently (Covid time so I’m not sure when lol)
A couple old tops here say Portland’s good too? And Folsom...hmmmm,, sounds like a box lol.

TRIPPING: I found that if you’ve built a tolerance and trip while doing something you do a lot, which for us was playing music, but I can see pitching being similar, in fact the weird thing would be when you stopped....like when you were doing “what ever” you were fine, but as soon as you stopped THEN you realized how high you were lol.
Of course I’m talking shrooms or lower doses, not 400 of high test.

ROUND THREE starts today, who we rootin for? I think I’m going islanders as I’m assuming their the underdogs and Tampa’s too same old, same old, let’s get some new blood on the cup!
Like the Kiniggits! I’ve enjoyed the Habs because I love rootin for the underdog, kinda like being a Deadhead, but tge Habs have won it a lot and Vegas has not, and they (team and fans) have got the fire in the nuts, so it’d probably be more fun getting on that train...man, what a slam fest Isles and Knights would be. Makes me sore just thinking about it ; )

Strider the jokester!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Nice to hear you touting the 5/14/78 show from 30 Trips Around the Sun. I was pleasantly surprised with that one, especially considering I didn't like DP 25 too much. I recall being excited for the first officially released Mississippi Half-Step of 1978 on that one. First 3 songs are super solid. They Love Each Other has some great Keith stuff going on in there. Looks Like Rain & It Must Have Been The Roses slow things down a bit, but I've never been one to let a setlist ruin a good performance. It also has that super long Let It Grow. I keep meaning to compare that one to other post-hiatus versions.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

On 5/14/78. This was about the period that 78 really warmed up to me in general.. and then not too far away we got the July 78 box which to me is simply killer. This was also about the time I seemed to notice Jeffrey Norman fine tuning his craft. Except for a few one-off's, for the most part the sound in Boxzilla is quite good. Glad I got that box.. I should revisit some of the lesser played shows one day.

Onward.. so little music, so much time. Scratch that.. reverse it.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html