• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

There's no such thing as a left-handed monkey wrench.

user picture

Member for

8 years

I ordered Dave's Pick's #37 the minute it went on sale...said it was being shipped...When I checked my Tracking #..It kept saying it never left the warehouse, after 3-4 weeks I just requested a refund...Now I did the same thing with Dave's Picks # 38...(My first shows were in '73...Thou I got on ''The Bus'' in '69)...Anyway, I hope # 38 gets to me this time...I Dunno, Maybe New Mexico is Foreign to these Folks...Just have to wait and see.....

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

My beloved likes to watch a show called Unsellable Houses

I
Cant
Stand
It

But being the awesome guy i am
I bite my tongue and let her enjoy

The voices of the hosts

Ggrraattee on my nerves

They don't look right for a *real* wolf but they do look exactly like the ears and top of the head of the wolf sticker on Jerry's "Wolf" guitar, that he used in this show (but before he put the wolf sticker on it).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Sure, there is a left handed monkey wrench. It's right next to the 50' of shoreline I just coiled up

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

#38 just landed in Nottingham U.K. and I’m half way through the bonus disc which is an absolute treasure. One of the best Here Comes Sunshine I’ve heard. The artwork is terrific. The artist has managed to include the dancing couple who appear on the original concert bill which is in the booklet if you look very hard (it’s very small).

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by frankparry

giving another listen to new Dave's

I hope I "get it" this time around (too many interruptions during virgin listen)

"She was a girl from Nottingham..."

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

Garcia #16 has been announced for June 25th. It’s Nov 15 1991.

FRANKPARRY

Well done getting #38 in the UK. Mine is still in California with UPS saying they’ve given it to USPS and USPS saying that are still waiting for it. I think you got a shipping notice a couple of days before I did and mine will have been delayed because nothing seems to happen during a weekend. Still anytime in the next couple of weeks will be fine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Colin, I'm one step ahead of you. Today USPS has received my copy from UPS and it is allegedly on it's way to it's destination. I am amazed that Frank got his so quickly but I guess his shipped earlier than mine. I got my shipping notice on release day, 30 April. UPS received it on 3 May. Who knows when it will drop in my mailbox.

I also got a mail from Garcia Family Provisions about the forthcoming GarciaLive Volume 16. I am underwhelmed by the artwork, but I will buy it for the music not the packaging.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Thank you Kidd for making an amazing recording! It is a treat to hear both Jerry and Bobby so clearly. I think someone mentioned the speed shift at 4:20 in Greatest Story. I've only made it through first set and up to China Rider, but I know I will be listening to this many times. Thanks Dave and all, this release sounds incredible.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Just got my hands on DaP 38 + Bonus here in the SF Bay Area, really excited to listen through it later today. To Colin's point, my DaP 38 was sitting in USPS limbo from the 2nd to the 4th in the exact same situation so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless more than 4 business days has passed. The shirt has also shipped surprisingly quickly and its currently at a UPS facility across the Bay with an expected delivery this Saturday. Really grateful for this release and I hope the next two DaP feature shows from 67-70 and the latter half of 90-93. Much love to all!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

SimonRob, that is hilarious to me that you don't care for the artwork. I got the e-mail and thought, "Cool art! I wish the DaP series would explore different styles than just the 'Realistic Skeleton' motif." :)

One of my favorite things on here is when someone says that some show/year is amazing, when I'm scratching my head, wondering why I am non-plussed by the same music, or when someone says that they did not care for some show/year that I absolutely adore. How boring would the world be if we all enjoyed things the same way?

Be kind. Rewind.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I have that show on DVD.
It’s grate, and the Lay Down Sally smokes.
The audio on the DVD is audience, so a SBD of the show will be awesome.

Edit:
Hah! The reCRAPTCHA image was a UPS truck, and there were palm trees, so I’m going out on a limb and saying that the UPS truck was carrying DaP’s from Gnarlywood.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JoshByTheBay

Mine went in limbo after usps took it from UPS. I called again today and talked to a different person at the local Post office. She said just because tracking says it was scanned and accepted at that location it didn't mean the package was actually there. I just need to wait another 10 business days. Usps scanned package on 4/26 at the local office but I guess they didn't.
My issue with this is the fact that my house, like most these last 14 months gets packages nearly every day. Everyone is talking about how slow the USPS is but the ONLY thing I can think of I didn't get via USPS on time are the DP releases coming thru mail innovations. I've been a eBay nut the last 6 month and stuff comes on time every time. No lost packages. Plus this DP thing was going on long before covid or the political manipulations started. I'm pretty sure it started when the UPS to USPS deal began.
Dead.net has already looked at my request and is processing replacement. That's awesome for them to do so quickly. Surely this one will make it eventually. I just wish they would offer the option for me to get expedited shipping.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Huskerwing

I don't get it (9/8)

granted it is ambience music during a workday.

but one of the best performances of 73?

I have to disagree.

I am not trying to be a wet blanket. I just feel like Seinfeld's Elaine and the English Patient.

I have to find some time to listen to the second set in the car with the sound on LOUD. then I might have a different opinion.

12/18/73
2/9/73
2/15/73
3/21/73

THOSE blow this out of the proverbial water.

I'll try again. I have nothing to lose but my mind.

Again, I am not trying to bring everyone down. I just don't get wood with this show. Perhaps my expectations were too high? (huh huh...he said 'expectations'...huh huh...)

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Huskerwing

er,?, Dave’s has landed in Eagle! Ripping’ as we speak.
Guess what I’m doing for the next 5+ hours ; )

Mysterious BONUS Disc artwork, Butters! That’s it, it’s the Wolf’s Wolf sticker as these were the first GD shows he played it....that HK is pretty nifty! Glad you figured it out as it was kinda creeping me out lol.

LEFT HANDED MONKEY WRENCHlol, brings back memories of Boy Scouts, like when we camped up at Camp Northern Lights in Canada, and from the farthest site to the nearest was pretty far. (It was along a lake) So at all the big jamborees/camps with multiple troops, the thing was to mess with newbies (tenderfoots) by sending them to the farthest camp possible to get some crucial item PRONTO, “and don’t come back without it” The usual items were a left handed smoke shifter, a raisin peeler, occasionally a left hand monkey wrench, or my favorite, a 100’ feet of Shoreline! Which being by a lake they’d say “it’s right down there”. Of course when you finally made to that camp, they’d tell ya it was at the farthest camp from where you now were, as they’d “just lent it to them” so back and forth the poor dumb ass would go until they finally realized why the whole place was laughing at em etc, lol.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

That is a great catch! Really, awesome job with this artwork!

Has anyone heard the Jerry Studio Box Set "All Good Things"? It looks like it is his studio albums, each with bonus tracks, plus a disc of outtakes, etc. I'd never even heard of it, but it also came with a bonus disc that has a 16-minute studio reading of "Visions of Johanna," which I'd never heard... it's really good! Here is a link if yer interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRlcXflqrU

Man, I wish this would have been on my radar when it was released. Oh well - it's nice that we can still hear it thanks to the magic of the internet!

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

JEEZ! 19:01 of bliss. From like the 10-16 minute marks they are a pure jazz quintet.
I started with the bonus disc to go chronologically and the whole time I'm saying it's good but not monumental (a bit like Proudfoot) then the Eyes kicked in and it clicked for me.
Most of the Dick's and Dave's have that sublime moment in there somewhere that you know was the reason they picked that show. We all lived for that moment in the live performances and having only seen a dozen or so I can say they never disappointed. If we were lucky it was a whole set! Who else can even play an hour and a half non-stop and manage to smoothly transition songs they have seldom (or never before) jammed together with a different improvisation each time? (Just a rhetorical ? Phish fans)
Hope the 9-8 is as good as that Eyes.
Cheers!

user picture

Member for

3 years 4 months

That studio Visions is truly something to behold. It’s by far my favorite version of that tune, even though those 95 versions are poignant and emotional. The two 86 versions are nothing to scoff at either, it’s just that the other versions are way better. As for GarciaLive 16, I’m very excited. I’ve regularly been listening to the Ain’t No Bread in the Breadbox from that show(there’s video too), so I’m very excited. The cover art looks very nice also, a major change up from the previous 15. That’s my 2 cents

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is a top notch show, I hope everyone who wanted it got it. Also, if you skipped the sub, you picked the wrong year not to sign up. This is the best bonus disc of the DaP series, and probably the best since Road Trips (remember those!) 4.3 with excerpts from 12.6.73, ya know, the one with the 58 minute Dark Star > Eyes. Non-stop rotation starts.....NOW

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Warlocks 1st show was back in 1965. that was 56 years ago today.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kid

....i knew that. But still. Happy Anniversary!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Owsley foundation has a new release out, it is Tim Buckley from 1968 , from the Carousel Ballroom in S.F. Now, I couldn't tell you one thing about Tim Buckley, but if you are a Tim Buckley fan Im sure this would probably be something that would interest you.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Finally blasting this on the home speakers. One of the greatest Truckin’ jams of all. Weather Report Suite had a great debut. Cool show.

As for recent other listening, June 9, 1990 is a surprising Phil tour de force. Incredible performance!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Orb - Funny story about the left handed monkey wrench, 6 foot shoreline and such - reminds me of the swimming pool on the roof in high school we used to send the Freshmen to. Glad your copy finally arrived.

Proudfoot- I'm really enjoying 9/8 a lot. As for your suggestion - l'll put it this way - I've been listening on over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones, and people five feet away are asking me to turn it down....so yeah, give it a whirl on 11 and see if that rocks your head.

I feel like a turncoat saying this, but the appeal to me is that they sound like a four-piece hard rock band because Keith is pretty much absent. Donna didn't sing nearly as much pre-hiatus, so she's also not on too many songs. It's Jerry loud in the left and Bobby loud in the right. Billy's in the middle with Phil, and Phil is lower than the rest - audible for sure, but lower. Jerry's having a great night, which is not unusual, but but Bobby is ripping it up like I've never heard him before. He's playing chords crazy fast, bending notes, picking more, and he even sounds like he's using more distortion than normal. He was known to pull out an SG once in a while, and its tone is thicker and muddier than the ES-335 that he used most of the time in '73 (or the ES-345 to a lesser extent, which sounds thicker than the 335 to me, but more mid-rangey than the SG). My Uncle had a 335 that my cousin played a bit while we were in our teens, and it has a much "stringier" sound than other guitars I've heard up close; he really had to turn the distortion all the way up to get it to sound like a hard rock instrument. It also has a lot more sustain than the SG, so I would think bending notes like Weir does on this 9/8 show would create a messier sound. I've never played an ES or learned how to get my fingers to move the strings with any dexterity, so I'm guessing on this point.

I couldn't find a list of shows or a date range when Bobby played the SG, but I think what has been so appealing to me about this show is what I said earlier in my babbling - they sound like a rocking quartet and Bobby may be running his pick over twice as many strings as most nights. I am almost positive he's not playing the ES, and whether by coincidence or whatever, he's way louder than normal as well. So I'm good with a night off from Keith for the uniqueness of this show. I haven't listened to the bonus disc yet, but have been into the main release about 5 times. Bonus Disc coming up next....

Go out and grab the "new" Dickie Betts "Official Bootleg Vol 1"...a two disc set taken from various shows recorded between 2003 - 2008... My fave is a killer instrumental "Franklin's Tower > Blue Skies"...the whole thing just shreds...

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

...There And Back Again Bonus Disc.
Passenger (The Plant~Sausalito,California)
St. Stephen w/ Derek Trucks (2002-04-04 Denver,Colorado)
Dark Star w/ Derek Trucks (2001-12-31 Oakland,California)
The Eleven (2002-03-30 San Francisco,California)
~Phil Lesh, Warren Haynes, Jimmy Herring, Rob Barraco, John Molo

get some...
;O)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

My reaction to releases I am disappointed in is to file them away and forget about them for a while. Then give them a spin at a later date. I can remember feeling like that about 4/2/73-Daves 21. Similarly accented towards shorter songs - which seems to reflect Dave's taste, incidentally - I was underwhelmed when I first heard it. Sounded great when I played it earlier this year, though.

one of the FIRST cassettes I got back in 82

Hot stuff in response to a tragedy

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Listened to the first set last night and finished off with the second this morning. Saving all the 9/7/73 material for when I get the DaP 38 shirt so I can listen in style. Can definitely say even if this isn't the BEST show of '73, it certainly stands as a solid testament to the era. Favorites for me from yesterday were Bertha, MAMU, a spine chilling Sugaree, Tennessee Jed, the FIRST EVER WRS, and the sublime Eyes>China Doll. From the second set, GSET, Ramble on Rose, and a textbook '73 China>Rider fill the spot and to be totally honest the whole third disc from He's Gone all the way to OMSN are just fantastic. Again, even if this isn't the BEST, it's most certainly a classic show and one of the top picks I have in my limited Dave's Picks collection. Looking forward to the 9/7 filler + bonus disc!!!

...honestly, after one listen of the whole enchilada (both shows)....this one seemed all over the place, sonically at least...
I need to Relisten....great shows but best of the year, NOT!

OTIS: sounds like you made out not getting the All Good Things until now. I got it originally but it didn’t have that Visions bonus disc. ...in all good time indeed.

VGUY: musta been that new math ; )

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

RELEASE 6/9/73 AND 6/10/73!!!

C'mon, man. I can't live forever.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Happy 90th birthday to the greatest baseball player of alltime, #24 Willie Mays. I saw Willie play several times back in the 1960s. at Candelstick Park, I saw him hit a homerun in 1969. against the Houston Astros.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... a grateful day to everyone. I hope everyone is well & enjoying the latest Dave’s Pick#38 / 1973 performances! There’s a whole lot of ‘Primo’ stuff in this release like the audio quality which is Top notch! I give it “5” skull & Roses! Lol it’s that grateful. Every tune, turn, improvise, jamming, very strong performances! Song after song was being played with unity from the whole group. They seemed to all be tuned into ONEAnother & performed one fabulous take of a song one after another number! (Song)
The First WRS is a nice piece of the Grateful Dead “Holy Grail moments in history to have in your dead collection! concert/performances to be officially released in primo audio quality for my taste listening.
And as many already pointed out and stated the bonus disc is ‘primo’ undead! I have to concur with that statement! “It’s what dreams are made of Kid!!!”
Bravo to the good Ol Grateful Dead team, keep up the outstanding job of giving us DeadHead these precious jewels your dropping in the “Dave’s Picks Series! And in all the other GD releases, please keep them coming! Have a grateful day everyone, peace be with you all! Be safe be kind & don’t forget to smile smile smile!!! Ciao’ there’s a lot more to come !!! 🙏❤️😉💀❤️
🙏❤️💀🌹
** my record store had a couple of copies of the ‘origin’ vinyl from 1968 best recordings from bear! If anyone missed out on getting a copy shoot me a text , I’m always looking to help a fellow dead head! If I can. . Also they had the book/comic/ with all the extras included inside the sealed hard cover comic/Book for sale too.

It's Willie Mays!!! Happy 90th Birthday to the Greatest I Ever Saw....I grew up at Dodger Stadium (Coliseum too) and was so fortunate to see the Holy Three...Wiilie Mays, Roberto Clemente & Hank Aaron...Willie though was The Godfather of Center Field...

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

Anybody have hdcd light not stay ,but for a few seconds,then bbn it turns off. Thanks. On bonus disc I should add.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html