• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

How about a Dylan and The Dead box set to celebrate Dylan’s 80th birthday. Obviously, it isn’t going to happen but it would be interesting to hear.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Wow. Just wow. #4648 is sounding great here in Baltimore!

Love the artwork on this one too! Very cool the way they went with the Weather Reporter for the first ever WRS. It is stuff like that that keeps me coming back!

"Bertha" is a little bumpy, but thanks to the kind folks here, I knew to simply wait it out for a bit and that things would correct themselves - and boy, did they ever! Very happy with this release - it's got me shouting like Bobby at the end of this "Looks Like Rain!"

On to set 2!

Peace

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

I love this
A show I am totally unfamiliar with
Oh for a soundboard of this quality of 9 11 73

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Thats cool
I think vguy found somma dat yesterday

I saw a screening of that flick years ago

I dont recall the song tho

Y'all be cool, Nappy

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This might be their favorite El Paso of all time? lol I like the '77-'78 versions myself :-)

I gotta dig deeper into this one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Otis my man! I couldn't figure out what the point of the artwork was. Then I actually commented yesterday about how the WRS didn't have its normal ending (as if they had not yet developed it) and I still didn't make the connnection. I also just saw the animated DaP 38 cover art from the email advertisement. Very cool. I guess I thought it was a windy night at Nassau.....

I am really loving what I've heard so far. I'm up to Truckin' now. A lot of what I'm enjoying is the clarity of Jerry and Bobby playing together. In the past when Bobby's been turned up loud, Jerry's been too low; but here they each pretty much own a speaker. It's a very unique mix. The separation between instruments reminds me of DaP 18 at the Orpheum, though it was more Jerry and Keith on that one.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Among the biggest tentpole shows of tentpole shows imho.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Polie of polies

- jack black

5 2 70 rox

3 7 81 rox

Gotta try again on 9 8 73
Too much trippus interuptus on the first go round

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Sums up 5/2/70. Often overlooked-this includes my favourite version of "Good Lovin'". As well as "Other One" and "Dancing in the Street." And maybe "Viola Lee". But the whole show is amazing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Wow, Gerd, that is seriously bad news. It was also cancelled last year. Two years no Oktoberfest! The whole world has turned to shit. 💩 Given the choice, I would much rather have beer than corona bat flu 🦇 but we are denied that choice.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

No not that 420!

Almost can't believe my ears, but at the 4:20 mark Not Fade Away part 1, I hear Keith playing some Hammond organ. The last time I recall anything with him playing Hammond was October of '71, and maybe his first couple shows. You can hear some on Dave's Picks 3.

Yes Daverock, The Other One 5/2/70. I bought Dick's Picks 8 based on these comments from listeners on the Heady Version site:

"Garcia's guitar tone here is pure liquid magic"

"High voltage tight lightning jam without a meltdown"

"Every time you think Jerry's peaked, he pulls out another blistering run"

"12:20 begins a sequence where Garcia and his guitar reaches uncharted territory. Did not know this level was even possible"

And my favorite:

"Garcia is in orbit - no other way to characterize it. Makes his case re the Nobel for Holy Fuck!"

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

My ears had whiplash too, mouth agape and gobsmacked. I wish there had been more...and call me crazy but
I swear Truckin' is about to turn into Need a Miracle at about 7min. but then its only '73. Oh well, might as well listen to the whole show, again! Really enjoying this one!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The ending of Let it Grow on this release is like delicious melting fudge. That is all.

user picture

Member for

3 years 4 months

I think I can confidently say that this is my favorite Dave’s so far. Even though the sound quality isn’t as good as the last few Dave’s(especially the last one, very crisp), the playing is sublime. The mix is nice too, even if Keith gets buried sometimes. It’s almost weird to hear Bobby so loud, but it’s really nice especially during Row Jimmy and Ramble On Rose. Jerry’s playing is also very good, and Phil is nice and up front, at least to my ears. From what I’ve heard of the bonus disk so far, I’m really enjoying it. Overall, great release. Highlights for me are the WRS, Row Jimmy, Sugaree, Eyes>China Doll, and that entire 3rd disk is something very special.

Also, a May 73 box set would be wonderful; a perfect complement to this Dave’s. I would also like to a see a Fall 84 or Greek Theater 84 release sometime. Those Greek shows are gold!

As for the next Dave’s(or future Dave’s), I’m hoping for 9/15/85, 2/14/86(trust me, it’s really good), and 6/29/76.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Like a board tape, unedited, oraganic and real. So many "live" albums as official releases have tons of overdubs. Not these, the Dick's and Dave's picks feature every note as played.

I would like to hear more crowd noise, but again just the natural audience banter not the piped in "KISS Alive" shit. Although I do love KISS.

The Grateful Dead are the most human sounding of any band I have ever heard. Sometimes loose, sometimes tight, sometimes sloppy, otherworldy, in and out of tune. It's what I love about them and it isn't a backhanded compliment.

I come to the well of the Dead for what I can't get anywhere else, and this release is absolutely primo in that regard.

Cheers everyone.

\m/

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

With all the talk about 5/2/70 lately, I decided to take another listen to Dick's Picks #8. It really was a really great show! Over the weekend, I was also able to find and download an SBD version of the show that included the NRPS set in between the Dead's acoustic and electric sets! Gonna give that version of the show a listen to soon!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

No other information is available.....

Why can't this series be released in digital format? Every other release, other than Dave's is sold that way...

Only thinking, maybe because they can skim, cds off the top and sell them on Ebay. I truly wonder how many copies of this LIMITED EDITION and Numbered series. are out there...There a many copies abound with no numbers...wait I get it....the numbered series is limited, the unnumbered don't count.

Also, I see them on Ebay, being bid on, at twice the price or more. Yet, Dead.net, had not sold out, at that time.

To many hands in the cookie jar.

Keithfan-Caniol - yes, this version of The Other One is transcendental. Incredible that they could hit such peaks as this in a live performance, and then release "American Beauty" a few months later. AB is also magical, but in a way that couldn't be more different. I can't think of any other band that could produce such inspiring music in such contrasting genres in the same year. Great live AND in the studio during 1970.

I used to have a bootleg of this show with the NRPS set included back at the tail end of the 80s. Long gone now, unfortunately.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

Having problems finding decent artwork for Vol. 38 ... Need !!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

With a deflating exhale, I will add today marks the 51st anniversary of "four dead in Ohio.." just a couple days after the famed Dicks Picks Vol. 8.

One of my all time favorite shows too. It's just spectacularly executed, they were on fire that day. ..and now it looks like I have to search high and low for the NRPS addition. Ah, found it.

Some of the all time classic shows to my ears occurred in 1970. Dicks Picks 4 and 8, the Sept and Nov runs at the Capitol and others. Plus.. the guy that was supposed to hit the record button was MIA most of the year. Can you imagine what would have been if the hit the record button buy hadn't sprained his hit the record button finger? What might have been... set the wayback machine for 2/1/1970, New Orleans.

and Pelazami - Jeff Smith does an incredible job creating digital images of the artwork. He lives in a cave up in the hills though.. so like me, it takes him a couple extra days to get his copy. I am really looking forward to getting and listening to mine. It's getting an awful amount of positive hype and good reviews.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I've been driving myself crazy since I received my copy yesterday trying to figure out what that shadowy crab claw / batwing looking thing lurking in the wheat is. Dave's only hint on Twitter was "it's very meaningful in the Dead world..." I'm gonna feel really stupid if it is something obvious, but my mind just can't connect the dots on this one. Help!

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0DZA7fXiSNI. I really enjoyed this show, Keystone Palo Alto was a pretty small place, I saw Garcia play there a lot of times . I remember one night when Hunter was on the bill with Garcia he said, "I remember when this place was a Purity Store, we used to shopliftit in here". I saw Muddy Waters play at Keystone Palo Alto one time, fun times!

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

I do love this release and the bonus disc is really sweet. But Im wondering if all the hype from Dave in the seaside chat about how well Bobby was playing in the show was to prepare us for how low Jerry seems in the mix and how in the front Bobby is on the 9/8 show. The bonus disc from 9/7 seems better balanced but Im straining to hear Jerry at times in the main show and its a bummer cause what I can hear is smoking! All in all this is a solid release though and Im already on my second full listen!!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

I was at the Kent state 1 year moratorium anniversary of the killing of 4 Ohio state students by the Ohio state national guard. It's hard to believe it's been 50 years. Seems like it went by in a flash.
It was a very somber day, there was a lot of people there, protesting the war and marking the anniversary of the killings. Lots of cops too. Some were angry, but most were sad. The war was still raging, the cops were still hating on everything hippie, the draft was still going on and young people were angry and afraid and anxious and fed up.
That was about the time I started to realize that they were never going to change. That I could not change them with all my yelling and protesting. It's like everything that I had been taught did not apply to them. The "establishment" was too established to bring down, or even change just a little. They made the rules but didn't have to live by them. A somber day indeed.
There was going to be a large gathering on the 50th anniversary of the killings, but Covid cancelled those plans. Joe Walsh (a student at the time of the murders) and David Crosby were scheduled to play a concert with Joe reforming the old Barnstorm line up for the show. That would have been great.
I do not know what that shadowy figure in the wheat is, anybody?
This is an excellent release, that 3rd disc is awesome.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

In reply to by wadeocu

Thank you! Smacking myself on the forehead wondering how I missed that. :-)

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by sjbutler

I saw an article recently about the woman/girl in the iconic photo. That photo really f'd up her life. She was identified, and people spewed hate on her. Sickening.

She was apparently a 14 year old runaway when the pic was taken.

America, you wonderful, digusting, admirable, foul entity...

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by sjbutler

I thought it was the top of a cats head. After the crow, the china cat. Ears don't look right for a wolf?.?

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

I'm absolutely loving DaP 38. It doesn't get much better than '73 Dead. Mine arrived yesterday, just days after the official release, and glory glory hallejuah, all the discs actually play! I've only had time to listen to discs 1 and 2, and they're as great as others have said. This is right in my sweet spot, a 10 out of 10, AFAIC.

I'll probably write more about the music at some point, but for now I just want to mention a couple things about the audio: one is that this is indeed one of the few shows where Bob's guitar is as loud or louder than Jerry's in the mix. In some ways, this is great, and I didn't really mind having the chance to really savor Bob's amazing, ridiculously under-rated guitar playing. BUT for anyone who's interested, I did notice that you can adjust this to a significant degree but adjusting the balance between your stereo channels. Bob's in the left channel, Jer in the right, and for me, putting the "balance" nob at about 1 o'clock brought Jerry up a little and, I thought, improved the stereo image.

Also, as some others have noticed, there is some weirdness is the extreme low frequencies at a couple points, and I could see how it could sound like a defect on some systems, but to my ears it sounded like something Phil was doing intentionally: not a classic Phil Bomb, but more like maybe his amp was distorting just a little at peak passages and he decided to just go with it and try to make something out of it? You now Phil. Remember that scene in the Grateful Dead Movie, where his bass starts making weird sounds as the guy holds the move camera near it, and instead of getting annoyed or freaking out, Phil tells him to keep doing it, and he immediately starts twisting nobs on his amp just to see what weird noises he can get? Love that guy.

user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

actually i think jerry is in left channel to simulate his location from the perspective of an audience member in 73, bob is certainly loud but i think there is plenty of jerry, i really like the mixes with guitars on either side, sometimes the recordists (or mixers for multitrack) put bob and keith on either side with jerry in the middle which also makes sense in a way, bob's sound in here comes sunshine is extra...

i will echo earlier comments about the rarity of keith on a hammond sounding organ, did they just have one at nassau and decided to give it a try? also i def thought it sounded like miracle at one point in the truckin jam, not too surprising for a driving E blues jam

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by leedesj

Interesting comments on Daves 38, which I haven't heard yet. Bob's apparent presence seems to echo a discussion from last week concerning lead and rhythm guitar. Maybe its a bit misleading to regard a guitarist who favours a chordal approach as rhythm and someone who plays single lines as lead. I vaguely remember reading an interview with Jerry somewhere, in which he said that many times he followed rather than led, when he was playing. But because he was (usually) louder, it seemed as though he was the one doing the leading. To be sure, he often would have been-but not always.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Define "wee bit of time" for me. The release date is now 3 days gone. My shipment hit my local Post Office a week ago. They have flat out told me they have no clue where the package is. I got email yesterday from Dead.net customer service asking for my info so they could look into it. Hopeful there at least.
Is this mail innovations thing just about the $? This must be the 4th or 5th DP I waited for long after the tracking showed a transfer to the PO. A couple made it. I'm pretty sure I had to have help from Mary on this forum to get a couple of them replaced. I'll pay extra money for UPS or Fed Ex. PLEASE anyone who has influence suggest this option. Put a big handling fee on there so you can do more free shipping to people who need it.
When the announcement of DP 38 on sale hit my inbox I ordered a copy just in case I never see my replacement order. I'd be out the bonus disc but surely could find that music somewhere.
If dead.net makes this right so I get the subscription order I will give the other copy to someone on here who missed out. I'll even pay shipping because I'll be so happy to get my proper copy.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Hey now my friends and freaks! DaP #38 was waiting for me in my my mailbox when I got home last night. And it's number 1780. I don't think I've ever gotten a lower number since I've been subscribing to the series. There is truly no rhyme or reason to the way the releases are allocated and I don't really care about that. It's all about the music and the memories!

Anyway, I'm downloading it now so I can listen to it today at work. What I've heard in the Listening Party and on Dave's SiriusXM special is awesome. This might have been a show I attended. The 60s and 70s are such a blur but I got to a ton of shows in the NYC/Philly area back in the day. Nassau was one of the venues I saw lots of shows at.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by Huskerwing

@HUSKERWING
Everything coming through the USPS is unreliable these days. Without getting into politics, I will say that the current Postmaster General hasn't helped the timeliness of our mail service. I accidentally ordered two subscriptions this year and my second hasn't shown up yet.

Hang in there!

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by Huskerwing

wee bit of time would be until this Friday

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Ok thanks! I can wait.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by msmiranda

The shipping issues associated with this site has nothing to do with UPS or the Post Office, if it never leaves the warehouse.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I see what their game is. One indispensable release a year (Dave's 34...Dave's 38) to keep suckers like me to re-up. And that's fine.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html