• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Great reads on the thread today, Ah yes, good old Black Sabbath, I saw them twice, once in 72 and again in 76, what a difference 4 years can make. In 72 they were like a hippy peace band, that was really loud and really rocked hard, Tony just shredded that guitar more than once and Ozzy was all over the stage. No opening act, just a night with Sabbath, real Heavy. Flash ahead 4 years and a totally different band was on stage. The equipment on that night was tightly packed together and over head was a large cross, like an iron cross design, and each band member had a large cross or crosses around their necks. Ozzy was wasted and flopped about like a fish out of water, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath had just been released or was about to be and they played most of that lp with a smattering of hits thrown in, the biggest ovation was when they played Iron Man, of course, but my favorite tune of the night was the wizard, never heard that one live before. The opening act that night was......Peter Frampton. Yeah, I know, what a pairing, but it was awesome. Frampton was good, real good, this was before his big live lp had made it to #1 and he played all those tunes from that lp, he and his band Frampton's Camel I think it was called, were excellent, stole the show. After that, I became a Dead Head and became obsesses with them, still am.
I think you have to go thru several bands before you are ready for the Dead, then it hits you like a ball and chain and you can't believe your ears. Hooked

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Reading the GD article in Uncut magazine I noticed
‘It’s safe to assume there’s a box set announcement for 2021 coming soon’ - DL
Of course my idea of soon may not be Dave’s

Talking of the Europe 72 50th anniversary he’s quoted as saying ‘There are still new and exciting ways to present that music … we’ve been looking at creative ways to get people engaged with that tour again, to make it more accessible in a format we think people are really going to want ‘
Something to look forward to in 2022

Edit It took three attempts to post this plain text message. It only worked when I removed a final exclamation mark.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

..but clearly have ill intentions. I couldn't get a post to go either, after much trial and error, it was a dreaded hyphen or perhaps the back slash that did me in. Henceforth and forever back slashes and hyphens deemed as evil characters to never be used for civil discourse.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo, rockers!!!

Kcollins1974, check your pm................

Have had no problems with posting things with dots, dashes, question marks, or exclamation points! Probably cuz I paid the ransom................

However, I continue to struggle with semicolons..........

Rock on!!!

Doc
Life is a little like a message in a bottle, to be carried by the winds and the tides.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I’m still listening to every 1971 Grateful Dead show on the 50th anniversaries. And can combine the audio with the film. Audio first, then the film.

By the way, speaking of Doc. The other recently mentioned Dock or the Dock Ellis story is fantastic. Thank you Billy the Kid for bringing that to our attention.
Yesterday we had a thunderstorm with almost no rain and winds that must have gusted up to 40-50 mph. Lightning popping in all directions. So around late morning we should be seeing more smokes. I’ve done some wildland fire fighting and fire lookout work when I worked seasonal Forest Service trail work forever and a day. On a side note , no retirement benefits for seasonal federal employees. Maybe that’s been changed in the 20 years since I worked as a “green collar” man. Solo social (in)security is better than nothing. I own my home and am in excellent health. But it all goes to hell with age.
As the Merry Pranksters said;- “Nothing Lasts”.
After posting this by identifying parking meters I think of these two songs, “Lovely Rita” from Sargent Peppers- the Beatles.
And “Don’t follow leaders, watch your parkin’ meters” from Bringing it all Back Home” - Bob Dylan (he said that)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by frankparry

Strider, same here, dry thunderstorms and high winds, so as of yesterday have a fire 12 miles away!
As of last night, it’s only in National forest and only about 200 acres, but they haven’t given us any updates yet...
With the fuel and terrain between here and there, if the wind changes it could get interesting...
Could see it from bed last night. Pretty wild visuals, almost like a volcano erupting...
Think it was just the flames reflecting off the clouds, not the actual flames, but still, when you can see that from your bed....
Have had temps mostly in the high nineties since last week, which for here at elevation is pretty hot, of course no rain in sight...
And and to think it’s barely summer! Usually doesn’t get like this here until July...

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

does this work ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ------------------ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how about a small limmnk

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

cuff..... you have to wonder what idiot thought the word linnnnnnnkkkkkk was bad?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

yep, here in the west hot, dry, and what looks to be a long scary fire season. for several days seemed like an early attempt at a monsoonal pattern, lots of lightning notifications on lightning tracker. we even got 15 minutes of rain here in the "lowlands" after a wall of crazy wind and dust out in front of the cell. good luck and stay safe.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

For the Mingus recommendation. I haven't picked up any "new" Mingus since the "Jazz In Detroit" 5-disc set a couple of years back. That set was great, but could have easily been 3 discs. No matter, I was tempted to get this new 'expanded' version, was waiting for feedback, which you provided. I will pick this up pronto.

Only 96 hours until "upgraded" Skull and Roses. I'm ready!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Take solace in the fact that the series is right where it should be. Fleury gave away game three and Lehner literally saved your ass last night.

Should be an exciting game 5.

Good luck.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Somethings off, it’s like the knights are turning into the AVs...
Haven’t watched enough to put my finger on it, but they don’t seem quite the high speed freight train that they were.
Habs been shuttin’ em down in the lanes etc and keeping the shots down just like the Kiniggits did to the AVs...
No worries though if they go back to the fortress and git er done they’ll be in the drivers seat!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

which volume is this? I see rhino has announced a deluxe edition coming next month,,, 3 lps 45 bucks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Not sure about the vinyl edition but I received the 2cd a few days ago. I believe the original was just two long tracks from the jam session of the second set and that this new edition from Carnegie includes the first set which was 75 minutes long.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Thanks guy. I ordered both from Amazon,,, free shipping.

CD coming instantly,,, lp's are preorder and not released until next month.

I really don't need the vinyl, but Mingus is a giant in the jazz world and thought it be nice to have for down the road value.

We'll see :-)

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Big tunics in two stores

I am looking for a T

High roller, thats what call me

The neon museum = cool

....I opened a bar for men with erectile dysfunction.
It was a total flop. Nobody came.
😁
Proudfoot. You should check out Area 15 while you're in Vegas.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Walking tbrough Planet Hollywood

"GK gear sold here"

One xxl with GK logo, no wording

Just over 30$ with tax

:)))

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

To get that post below to go through.

It’s not even in violation of the new rules.
Can I say ‘rules’ here, or is that banned too?

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

I just got brainwashed by Vguy

Kraken is next season

"You could almost think
that youre postin double"

A couple of really good jokes...what are you a comedian in residency?

I think David Zaslav, CEO of Discovery, and an attorney, is trying to figure whether Rhino fits in with his future plans. I know Simon stated a few days back that he was watching the European Football Championship. Discovery owns pretty much all of Europe's sports broadcasting networks and now own's Warner who owns Rhino. He may hate GOGD. Still believe that is what is slowing official news. Shakedown Stream take me away...

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

T-shirt not Jersey?

Still a great price for "official" shirt.

Edit: saw t-shirt ooops

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Doing some trail work today, a la Strider. Got bit in the lip by some type of insect. Now, my lip is swollen and I look terribly funny. I'm the guy I used to laugh at. Anyway. On the bright side, lots of Dead listening today: 10-21-83, 10-12-84, 4-22-78, 7-31-82- 7-3-88. How's that for a day of Dead listening? I hope the swelling goes down...

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

He’s not playing bad, but I have no idea why Fleury started over Lehner. Bad Karma.

The way the GKs are playing, I also have no idea how they beat the AVs.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....believe me I know.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Badkamer. That is Dutch for Bathroom.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

VGuy - A real back and forth series, but it’s do or die time now. I will definitely be checking out that next game. Same Bat Station, same Bat Time.

A shout out to Robert Hunter, who would have been 80 years young today. A great wordsmith, a Dylan Thomas for his times.

Fuckers starting to swell...no bueno!

Yes Vguy is our resident comedian, he’s just been on hiatus for the playoffs

I think it’s imperative that PF leaves Vegas ASAP. No fault of his own, but I think he’s brought some kind of bad Seahawks juju with him that is causing the unexplainable demise of the mighty Kiniggits....the flux capacitor must be demagnetized immediately, repeat, demagnetize the FC IMMEDIATELY!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Yes, Happy Birthday, Robert Hunter! The Grateful Dead would not be anywhere near as fascinating without your contributions.

Joni Mitchell's album "Blue" turned 50 yesterday, and apparently there is a box set with new remasters (and for the first album, a re-mix) of her first four albums coming out in a week. Plus, for those Joni fans, the Archives Vol. 2 box is coming out this fall, containing demos and live tracks from the period covered by the first four albums.

For anyone who hasn't listened to Joni before . . . I envy you! Even if all you did was give "Blue" and "Court and Spark" a serious listen, you would have improved your musical life immensely. :)

Be kind, rewind.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Correction: The Grateful Dead could not have been who they became if it wasn't for Robert Hunter. He was the thought man, the wordsmith, who made them great. Without him? Nothing to catalyze around and nothing for the listeners to truly sink their teeth into, nothing to sing , future uncertain, at best.

Edit: I'm gettin' antsy, wanting to know whether the box announcement will be a pass or fail in my book.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I never saw Joni in concert, but in 2013 she was invited to speak at a New York Times Talks with host Jon Pareles, just prior to a 70th Tribute Concert being held for her by Herbie Hancock et al at Massey Hall. I couldn’t get tix for the musical part (house band had Bill Frisell in it, a favourite), but I got tix for the NY Times talk, held at a small concert hall at the University of Toronto. She appeared with drummer Brian Blade (who I saw a few years later play with Wayne Shorter - WOW!), and it was about a 90 minute talk, and she was quite fascinating. She spoke in depth of her career, how she played coffee houses a block or two away in the 60s, her breakout career in California, her love of jazz, and the art of Emily Carr. She is a fascinating individual, a good songwriter and a very good visual artist. It was a really enjoyable evening, and I got a lot out of it, quite different than a concert. Her health is bad now (she smokes incessantly), but I wish her well, and she was yet another color in the palette that is music.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

He is the man.

I think it is own the documentary "From Anthem to Beauty" that Mr. Hunter talks about writing Ripple, To Lay Me Down, and Brokedown Palace in one day while in London with the fellas. I think he said 1970. So is this a on May 25, 1970 when the dead were getting ready to play the The Stand Lyceum in London? Of course this is the day after playing Newcastle-Under-Lyme or Hollywood Festival or Lower Finney Green Farm, Leycett.

Maybe Dogon could help with what the actual title of this venue and festival is. I assume it is just some minor dispute based on land allotment., or something to that effect.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

My first two picks after Price are going to be Gallagher and Suzuki. They are not marquee names, but those guys are grinders who do the little things that win games.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html