• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

One word. Stockpile. I spun disk 3 of Dap 21 and was amazed at how good it sounds even when I am 3 deep in vodka martinis. Its similar to 38 in some ways.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by sheik yerbones

Billy the Kid-Sheik Yer Bones- if you haven't already got it, the double cd "The Centennial Collection" from 2011 presents Robert Johnsons recordings with a clarity I have never heard before.
I have never heard either of the Peter Green or Eric Clapton cover albums-maybe I should check them out.
Among my favourite cover versions are those by Larkin Poe - there on youtube under "cover versions". Just two young women and a couple of guitars - great unassuming versions of "Come On In My Kitchen" "Sweet Home Chicago" and even "Hellhound On My Trail".
Good choice of blues singers on Mt. Rushmore, Billy. If Blind Willie Johnson could be called a blues singer, he would be one of my choices in the pre war slot. Probably the blues artist I have got most cds by, though, is John Lee Hooker. Maybe cause he recorded the most!
Deadwise I have been ducking and diving around eras, travelling the roads less travelled. A great one from Europe 72 is the Beat Club, Bremen from 4/21. A single cd with two covers of "Playin in the Band" and jam out of "Other One" that never wants to stop and was never repeated ( I don't think).
5/5/77 is also easy to overlook-but its got a great "Sugaree" in there.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Garcia said something about John Lee Hooker once, he said, John Lee Hooker is the kind of a guy who can scare you playing just one note. I saw John Lee Hooker play a few times. he always put on a good show.

John Lee Hooker lived in Redwood City in the 80s, he used to have his breakfast at the Lyons in San Carlos on El Camino(long gone now) He was quite a sight; impeccably dressed, a feather in his hat.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

All is good with the world again.

Happy Mothers Day folks.. how about a happy reply from a happy mother out there somewhere reading this.

What's a good Mothers Day show to listen to today??

user picture

Member for

4 years

I saw Mr. Johnny Lee play in a college residence hall auditorium in the late '70s. His band came on without him and played for 30 minutes before the man himself was helped onto the stage and sat down on a stool in front of the band. He couldn't walk without assistance but was still impressive, even though he appeared to be on his last go-round. As it turned out, he still had decades to go. He was too bad of a man for the Reaper to take.

My blues Mt. Rushmore:
Pre-war: Charlie Patton, Robert Johnson, John Lee Williamson (the real Sonny Boy), Memphis Minnie
Post-war: Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Jimmy Reed, Albert King
Of course there are many names that could be rotated onto either list on any given week.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x5g9HaUs3qo. Lebowski, I think you're right, were going to have to carve another head on Mt Rushmore for. Howlin Wolf. Jim, 1973 DEAD, what do you think about a May 1973 box set with 5/13,20,26/73., Des Moines, Santa Barbara, and good ole San Francisco. I think it is something that is gonna happen in the near future, what do you think about that?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don't sleep on Omaha. 2 days after DP19.

P.S. Apparently, NOT a robot.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I do not believe the borderline '73 heads would be much interested, based on the PNW non sellout. The 1974 shows in that box were extraordinary for '74, but I thought the 1973 shows were spotty. That is not to say there was not some brilliant must have Dead moments, but they did not hold on to me from end to end like the fall and winter shows. DP 19 is a great example of how great '73 could be. Also the Winterland Complete Recordings Box Set. I have listened to the May shows and Kezar is a winner from the three BTK mentioned, and would most likely be a good Dave's Picks or packaged with 6/9 and 610.

This current release is hot in my book. There has been some great analysis so I don't have anything new to add. The absence of Keith on 9/8 is strange, but the "mix" we got is very good to me. Interesting guitar discussions about the Wolf and the SG accounting for much of the aggressive sound. I never would have considered these things unless they had pointed out. It is always an adventure with the Grateful Dead!

May '73 is right up my wheelhouse. I agree with DReading on the topic, however.. I wouldn't expect to see this come out over the next couple to several years. I agree with his comments on the '73 shows from the last box too. They are not light the fuse and run away from start to finish. It's more an acquired taste, but there are strong moments in every show. I find myself pulling down segments from this box more than listening start to finish.

..but I still love this box. The Portland '74 China Rider for example is one of my all time favorite versions and I am just skimming the surface. I still consider the PNW box mandatory listening.

So May '73, hell yes.. but I am patient. We still have June '73 to ponder also. Putting all these thoughts to the forefront right now.. I think we have just one option. Finish the tunnel underneath the vault and take all of 1973 to mockingbird studios and make this happen. Dave is slacking... it's up to us. Who's with me?

Does that explain....

When I built a fire on Main Street
And shot it full of holes

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

"They're not light the fuse and run away from start to finish". I would buy anything from '73, but agree, it's unlikely they would return there so soon.

Let's get the big '72 box going already. So much great stuff just waiting to be Plangentitized.

Completely underestimated the 4/27/69 Dark Star all these years. Top-shelf.

I'm going Spring '77 anniversary tonight - 5/9/77 Buffalo. Bertha is really cool and mellow and smooth. A cut above the other '77 versions.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Sir James,

My apologies for the late post. I spent the day at a soccer tournament. No doubt something the fathers organized.

Each year on Mother’s Day I spin 3/27/86. The only time Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues was played. I was fortunate to be there. Still can’t figure out the lyrics, but a cool tune.

God bless all you mothers out there, the GD and the state of Maine. Coolest place to see shows.

5/7/77. Agreed on Bertha. One of the best concerts of all time and they open up by saying their equipment doesn’t work. Good luck explaining that to your teenage daughters. My favorite versions of Bertha, Peggy-O and 1/2 Step ever.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

क्या यह पोस्ट करने के लिए सही जगह है?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I’d just looked at the UPS and USPS tracking for #38 and they were still saying
UPS - We’ve given it to USPS on 3rd May
USPS - We have been told, electronically, to expect it but we don’t have it yet, also on 3rd May

So I was about to send an email to see what was happening when I saw our postie heading to the door through the driving rain. After they had done their best to dismantle the letter box I discovered my #38 and bonus disc sitting on the floor.

Isn’t that wonderful, you know it certainly is.

Hopefully, I’ll play it tomorrow and check that it works.

Let’s hope some more get through to the UK soon.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I was fortunate enough to be there also. I remember calling my buddy the next morning with the setlist and told of this "new" song.

Here are the lyrics

"Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues"
Words by Robert Petersen; music by Phil Lesh and Brent Mydland
Halfway past cool on Monday for the sight of her
Rode in town while he built afar [a fire?] with the riders and then the poor
Hot damn, it's a mother's day, don't you all look fine
Promenading down long car ocean, yes it's mine and it's sniffing white

They got poets, shuckers and godzilla's 'round
Mother's sweet little frozen no suit
We got Speed Racer and his archaic as words Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues

Bringin' all the mares hide in your cabs, honey now loosen your load
You belong to this has-no-name, what I
I remember some chicks from the sciz would come along and sit and squeeze too
Silly says, I say it once, for you it's cold steel and slow
Its sounds have all ruptured, it sounds just like glass
Suspect out in the corners, sounding verse and kickin' ass
I felt the city have a narly, don't make the 6 o'clock news
Speed Racer and the band here playing

As I recall I went for the window, but I never did get me there
Hit me hard with his hickory stick was the last thing I saw, met you
Drag me down and tangle, you carry the charges if you feel
Pray for the day that one yourself, but then figure we'll lick a few

But when I try to look up, don't want to let me loosen your load
Here alone take this grenade for me, well I

The fore runner radiates wild help up far now, gun ships pass so far
Pass me a vote, silly, and how we did it all over
Did it all over, did it all over the road

We got broads, suckers and guys in this jail mother sweet little frozen no suit
We got Speed Racer and his archaic am words Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Same boat here, hope mine shows up today before work,,,, around 2 my time.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

why can't I order it?

(I am being silly......)

I am slowing warming up to this release. It still feels truncated, though, somehow.

- Another Picky Deadhead

I was at the Rose Palace in Pasadena CA (What a dump) for a show featuring Grateful Dead, Kaleidoscope (David Lindley's first band) and a group called Southwind...Headlining the bill was a showing of the Cream Final Concert film from London's Royal Albert Hall...

I listened to 5/10/69 recently on a solo road trip to Oregon.

HOT.

As happy as I am to have gotten on the bus when I did (82), to have experienced them in 1969....woooooww....

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I'm on my second listen, and for me the first set doesn't really take off until WRS. As is frequently the case, the band seems to be warming up during the first few songs.

I haven't seen mention of the "Roll out the Barrel" ditty at the end of cd1. It's not listed, and there is a lot of silence before it appears.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Anyone catch a hint of I Need A Miracle at around the 6.58 mark lasting around 15 seconds?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hey now - I have a Vol. 38 plus bonus disk (opened only to rip music) will trade for a vol.38 collectible glass. Please contact via direct message. Thanks!

I think you will the bonus disc worth more down the road than the glasses,,,, seems they always want a lot of bonus disc.

I've been luckily on the glass front, 2 for 2. Really hoping to get all four. Wish I had gotten the hatchet, Jim made it sound so nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfsAb35jyfw

Nappy - Kaleidoscope seemed like a good band in their own right. Their first two albums, "Side Trips" and "Beacon From Mars" are classics.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

In reply to by frankparry

Yes indeed sir. Made my ears to a double take. I mentioned this the other day and got a response like "of course they're in a driving blues jam in E." Yeah ok. Doesn't account for the time period being 73! Thank you for pointing out how weird it is to hear that riff show up so early. Not an "of course," but an "oh my, thats about 5 years to early!" Funny it struck .e as something so standoutish I can't remember another Truckin' that quite does that. I wonder how long that riff was bouncing around before landing jn Miracle. Anyone else know of a show where that specific riff shows up so blatantly and cleanly before the Miracle daze...or days?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

How's about the GSTL can koozie? Woo wooooooo!

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by direwulf

Slipknot! was played live before 1975, and there is a WRS Prelude on a previous DaP release (don’t remember the #).

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I finally saw John Lee Hooker at Long Beach Blues Fest in 1997. He really was on his last legs; he sat down as he played and mumbled a bunch of shit like, 'you you you you you..." It went on too long and was out of rhythm and sync. But, it was a paying gig and the man showed up and I can say I saw him.

John Lee, Jimmy Reed - those dudes had a pocket a mile wide. "Bright Lights, Big City" Shit! "Dimples." "Big Legs, Tight Skirt." "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer." Don't give me any cancel culture bullshit. The blues is and was as real as it gets. Men like women, they like booze, and they sang about it righteously.

"Going Down" as sung by Freddie King is another peak moment. What a groove! "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City," Bobby "Blue" Bland. Sly Stone. Jimi Hendrix. Rick James. Otis Redding. Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Bob Marley, Miles. I cannot name all.

Soul. Black folks have it, white folks have it. Everyone can have it, it ain't color specific. I do not, generally, like rap music. I don't find any warmth there, much of a pocket. I'm not going to disparage it because I know it means a lot to many and I'm not looking to pick a fight here.

But I will say, Gary Clark Jr. is a breath of fresh air in today's musical landscape, as is Christone "KingFish" Ingram. I love hearing the brothers with soulful voices lay down beautiful blues in the rich tradition of the greats, and I wish there was more of it. Maybe it will come back one day.

God bless everyone.

\m/

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

BTK - So glad to see you include Son House in your pantheon, he's (unfortunately) one of the forgotten greats. I know that Muddy Waters (among others) held him in high regard as one of his idols but you rarely see his name mentioned with the truly original masters such as Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, etc.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yeah they're pretty similar, the Miracle riff and the Truckin' jam.
The Truckin' jam is distinguishable as the part they play while Bobby, sings "hey now get back Truckin' on" (except they continue jamming to it for a few minutes after he stops singing).

It is, as someone stated, a common driving Blues riff, but it doesn't always sound so obviously like Miracle as it does on 9/8/73, because they don't always accent the same beats (specifically, Bobby throws a couple of quarter notes into the second measure to transform the Truckin' riff into Miracle). This happens from time to time in a lot of versions of Truckin', where someone throws those quarter notes in. Pigpen actually does it with the Hammond on the E72 Bickershaw Truckin' between 6:48 and 7:15.

The first time I remember catching a little bit of this was on the Truckin' from the 30 Trips Around the Sun, Lindley Meadows show, 1975. It seems to pop up from time to time, but perhaps not so prominently as on this current release. It all comes full circle to how fricken loud Bobby is on DaP 38. Otherwise, the call to Miracle would have been something happening deep in the mix, as it has a bunch of times before in the 175 versions of Truckin' we now have. Wow... do I really need that many? Great question for another time....

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for posting that footage Billy The Kid. Never saw it. I love these rare 60s clips when you see a very animated Jerry onstage. Has anyone read if they tripped every performance? I've always had a fascination with what take on stage.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Very cool.. at first I did a double take.. a 4:40 Morning Dew?

Choppy video but very cool.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

in Germany. That was pretty quick, again.
What a grateful day!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In the Netherlands. UPS tracking had said it arrived in the country on Saturday and today it was delivered. Shipping notice was received on April 30. Quick!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

Great hear. I still haven't been able to finish my first proper listen. Sending some good vibes and listening synergy. It is a bit of a relief to see a little more equity in receipt timing.

Makes for a happy Tuesday.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

somewhere in the US, I was 4 years old

Jerry-cise! look at him go!

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by direwulf

I was very lucky to see Kaleidoscope as often as I did in So Cal as they opened quite a few shows I attended...those LP's you mentioned and especially "Beacon From Mars" are killer as you say...It's too bad Lindley seems not to want to acknowledge that band, something to do with ca$h of course which is his right...Some years ago a friend took a vintage vinyl copy of "Beacon" and a new copy of the two CD retrospective of Kaleidoscope to a gig Lindley was doing in Santa Fe NM and he politely told my friend he wouldn't sign those for him...anything else no problem...too bad....

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by nappyrags

No I wasn't at that particular show...I only ventured South a few times back then...one memorable show was the Danny Kirwan/Christine Perfect led version of Fleetwood Mac at the Sports Arena down there...while looking through some stuff I had come across on Google Images I saw the poster for another Rose Palace show that happened a few weeks before the one I talked about earlier...the bill was The Butterfield Blues Band (Keep On Moving was the current release for him) Grateful Dead and opening was some band from England called Jethro Tull...I did see The Carlos Santana Blues Band (as they were then called) at the Rose Palace opening for Procul Harum...Porcul was touring behind "Salty Dog"...being Chicano me and my buds flipped out on Santana!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html