• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Dylan-Springtime in NY-Disc 2
Disc 1
Chicago-Complete Carnegie Hall-Disc 16
-Disc 15
-Disc 14
Making my way through 2 new boxes

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

for providing MISinformation about the Berkeley Sep, '81 article I recently described. When I wrote Rex Jackson instead of Blair Jackson, I think I was displaying my age-related (and oatmeal brain) problem with people's names. As we know, Rex had passed by the time these shows happened. Again I apologize.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Mr. Ones, how are you enjoying the new Dylan box? On the fence about buying it. Not my favorite Dylan period, of course, but a lot of that has to do with the over-production on the original albums.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by lebowski99

Just don’t let it happen again 😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Wow, really enjoyed couch surfing the 3 show mini tour the past 3 nights.
Had zero expectations about this lineup, but they were tight!
What a pleasant surprise, something that was needed!
I only wish I would of felt comfortable going...
Fun set lists and some cool treatments of some songs that you might not expect.
(Read, don’t just look at the set list)
They seemed to get better and looser each night...
The audio was really good and only had streaming issues on Friday.
Even the Mrs watched 2 shows and declared them “better than D&C and that Bob Weird guy” lol
Just another awesome way the music lives on!
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Kiethfan and all other Kieth Fans would probably enjoy the latest Good Ol' Grateful Podcast, featuring Kieth and his story.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Outstanding show. I have long advocated for its release. Darkness>China Cat jam in the middle of Not Fade.

Oro - Phil and his lineups are awesome. I very much prefer them over D&C. Zzzzzzzz.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Count me in on that one too - an incredible show. That would be worth releasing even if the sound is a bit sub par and its incomplete. Never mind the show - great music must take precedence!

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

This show should be released for the acoustic set alone, but it also has a killer electric set. Like I mentioned yesterday, 9/19 & 20/70 need to be put out together as a single release, hopefully for Dave's Pick # 40. I consider these two shows, shows that must be released, they are that good. What other shows are must releases?

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I must admit I have a soft spot for Dylan's mid-80's period. Infidels is a top ten Dylan album for me. I highly recommend this. The number of covers that I was unaware of, the alternate takes of some faves of mine. And Empire Burlesque tracks shorn of their mid-80's awfulness. Big plus for me was 2 discs of Infidels stuff. A side note-I have all 16 editions of the bootleg series, and this is the first time I decided I had to have the 5-disc version. I'm very glad I indulged myself. Cannot recommend highly enough.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Is there a record known for most shows attended? Most in a year? Most tours caught, etc. ?
I knew a guy we used to disc golf with from Grand Junction, CO nick-named "Doc" who was from CA and said he had seen over 250 shows but had lost track of the actual number. He was an excellent disc golfer who carried me in a doubles round the night before a tournament. We placed second using maybe a handful of my shots. Dude had ALL the shots! Rollers, thumbers, turnovers, you name it, he could throw it.
Just curious. We watched The Big Year last night and that had me looking at world records.
Cheers and thanks!

Edit: Google says Bill Walton has 854. That's Hard To Handle! I saw him standing with crutches backstage at two of my Red Rocks shows. His leg was in a cast.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I love this new Bootleg Series as well. I think the best of BS editions are the ones that shed new light. Another Self Portrait and Trouble No More are fantastic.

11/19/72 could have been among the returned Bettys. An unknown number of tapes by Rex and Owsley were among those. As for 6/10/73, the Allmans now have Allman Brothers Records which recently put out reissues of the Owsley Stanley Foundation's Deluxe Fillmore East 1970 ABB package, Fillmore West '71, 10/17/71: The Last Note, 9/15/71 Austin, and 1/31/71 from that FWest '71 package and the single disc of the Owsley reissue of Fillmore East 1970 on vinyl, so they are motivated with both the end of the band, and then, the passing of Gregg and Butch to release things as they come up. And their archivist Kirk West is still doing it, so if they needed any clearances for those performances, I would imagine that would be quite easy. Easier than setting up the ABCD deal, I'd bet, and I also bet that most of the tapes from the Listen to the River Box will be ABCD returns.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

30 years ago this evening; Boston Garden
My first Bruce show!

2nd Set Opener, The ONE TIME They Did This:
Help on the Way >
Slipknot! >
FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN

I recall turning to my buddy being like, what song is this again???
I just couldn't place it despite obviously knowing it - absolutely was one of those moments that just totally caught me off guard leaving me literally....speechless.

Over and Out
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

I wish they would release 10/31/69 from San Jose State, as a part of this Halloween collection, it's a killer show and I think it is a must release tape. Maybe it will be Dave's Pick #40.

Dancin' -> Franklin's

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wow
This show is hot!!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Aaron Rodgers and two receivers just threaded the needle not once but twice

Impressive display

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....someone bet a 16 teamer. $25 to win over $750k. That person's winning ticket rested on the Lions to win straight up.
I could not watch that game with that much on the line. Poor soul.
Shoutout to the newest Dylan Bootleg release btw. Religious Bob is still Bob.
I'm going to the Raiders/Dolphins game next Sunday. Vaxxed and got a ticket for face from a buddy. You stupid Dolphins better show tf up.
Edit. The Halloween store is a joke, right? I mean, if you're gonna put out a Halloween dye, rainbow patterns are not the way to go. Way to go home.
The mug is passable though.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I hear that. I always wanted that black wolf t-shirt on the Garcia family site, but there is a rainbow ring around the wolf that, let me say, kinda looks tutti frutti. Not that there is anything wrong with that. -- J.S..

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

Sports and gambling: 2 things I avoid as much as possible.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Holy crap, I totally agree. Another Self-Portrait is my second favorite Bootleg Series release. I regret not getting the deluxe of that, because I was coveting that Isle of Wight Live disc, but I just couldn't justify the cost for one disc of live stuff. One day, I'm sure I'll get access to that disc.
I'll be on vacation when my St. Louis box arrives. I will have to wait 10 AGONIZING days until I can listen.
UGGHHHH

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

a giant among giants. crazy respect to the man.

albums I listen to on occasion: Bringing It All and Hwy 61. And the one where he is walking down the street arm and arm with a honey, and the old school VW Bus is parked on the side. And Greatest Hits Vol 1 and 2.

Another few tunes...

Other than that, I have tried to get into his other stuff, and just can't connect.

The thing is...BD is crazy awesome.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Real Gone having a vinyl sale. Got a 2-LP Country Joe & The Fish and Friends for $12.00 (list $29.95). From 1969 I think and features a 38 minute "Donovan's Reef Jam" with Jerry, Mickey, Jorma, and Steve Miller (on harp). Oh, and Jack Cassidy plays bass all night! Also found one from Tony Joe White, the "swamp fox", also a live album. Features Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass and has a version of my favorite song by Tony, Poke Salad Annie. Fun stuff! Not a huge selection in this vinyl part of the sale, and they will have an upcoming CD portion of the sale soon.
Cheers!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Yeah, I've generally been happy with the expanded Bootleg Series editions. I didn't go for the "everything" sets -- Vol. 12, the Cutting Edge, with every note in the studio from that time, and the Live '66 box with every show, but nearly identical setlists. I WISH I had picked up Vol. 8, Tell Tale Signs, in 3 CD set -- but that 3rd CD cost a hundred bucks or so! But I just looked it up on Discogs, and it's listening there for $250+... :-(

Empire Burlesque was the first Dylan album I bought when it came out, so I'm having fun revisiting that stuff in slightly stripped back form on Springtime in New York.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just hit my doorstep. I'm really looking forward to digging into this one. Should be great. Trouble No More gave me a new appreciation for early 80's Dylan and I'm expecting Springtime to do the same for mid-80s.

I think i'm missing a few of the Bootleg Series. I definitely have 1-3, Royal Albert Hall, Self Portrait (I agree - this 2 discer might be the best - just incredible), Rolling Thunder, Basement Tapes and the two aforementioned new/er 80s ones. I'm missing Blood on the Tracks, which i heard is great.

Dylan is just so prolific. He's similar to the Dead in that there's infinite variety, but Dylan had even more songs and switched them up so often and so well. Its just hard to express how amazing Dylan is.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

I love pre-hiatus GD. I also love the Beam.

These two things simply do not reconcile. That is all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

The best Dylan collection I have bought recently has been the mono box of his 60s recordings. They sound so fresh-particularly the acoustic music - the discs from his first album up to the second side ( L.P. wise) of Bringing It All Back Home.
Apart from that, the only boxes I have are Trouble in Mind and the 1966 tour. Trouble In Mind appeals to me partly because of the superb band as well as the songs.
Unusually for me, I bought a download of Another Self Portrait, which included the Isle Of Wight show, but didnt break the bank.
Another set I like is the blu ray disc of the Desire tour - Rolling Thunder, I think its called.
But my all time favourite releases remain the mid 60s trio of Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde. With Another Side Of snapping at their heals.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I too got the latest Bootleg. Went to whole hog of course, vinyl and cd's.

I like these collections, I have them all. I'm not a Dylan expert, generally can't tell you album names, but like a ton of tunes.

I have fallen in love with the song I and I off this set.

I love his cover of odd tunes, like Fever and Wish it Would Rain.

I had no idea of the personnel involved on these recordings.

You go Bob

I & I

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

concur, what's with that graveyard tye dye, not only rainbow colors but why does the pumpkin have blood dripping out of its carved mouth hole to spell out Grateful Dead? Wow, not quite right. Do like the mug too, trip or freak if it's limited, it will be gone soon.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

Along with the Halloween merchandise, it would have been nice if they would have put out a collection of Halloween Dead shows like 10/31/67, 10/31/69, and 10/31/70, that would have been really cool.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I too tire of the unending parade of merch -- Halloween merch just because Halloween is coming up? Really? No musical tie-in even attempted? Unless one of the Halloween shows cited by our brethren is coming in DP 40... And even then, who is buying all this hooey?

As long as I'm ranting, how about giving the whole skeleton and death motifs a rest? I really liked the PNW box art and it showed where GD art could go in a classy, thoughtful direction.

Okay, Captain Grumpy is going back to work, prepping the house for its first painting in 20 years. Just call me Deferred Maintenance, Inc. Or just plain lazy. Racing to get 'er done before the snow flies.

And by then, digging into the new box, giving each show all the time it needs.

P.S. If DP 40 is NOT a Halloween show, I'll be baaaack with more raaaaanting, and haunting.......

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

with uuussseeee guys!
Enough, release the hounds, er a, the music!
ALL THE MULITITRACKS from all the years combined, NOW!.....please?

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

When the gardening merch showed up, there was an apron for sale.

When was the last time a Deadhead needed an APRON?

"Grumpkins, back into your cave!"

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

The human mind

Eva Gabor circa 1968

Hot af

Wife and i watching green acres

Eva gabor wearing little white gloves and a little perky dress

WHERE IS THE ST LOUIS COLLECTION?!?!?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I always wear the Gardening Apron when I use the Workingman's Dead Hatchet. The apron rocks.. no matter how many fingers I chop off with that sharp as hell badass axe.. the clothes underneath the apron have yet to be stained with blood. We are talking not a single drop. I am the type of guy that often forgets to change out of work clothes before I start cutting shit up in the backyard.. that apron has saved me thousands in Italian Suits alone, which tend to show blood... I plan to give the Apron a 5 star review as soon as they get the glitches out of the PM's and the Swag Review page.

These guys are marketing geniuses.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Did you truly get the WD hatchet?

Apron...

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

DARK STAR->
Me & Bobby McGee

...get some
thanks Dennis...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I wonder what he would have thought about all the merchandise, and - well, the whole money making, Deadhead good vibes at all cost culture, that seems prevalent these days. He always seemed to me to be a man of integrity and honesty, routinely dissing The Dead's albums and never afraid to identify sub par performances. If a Deadhead does that now, they seem to be considered to be letting the side down in some way. Wouldnt it be great if Dave Lemieux would do one of his chats, and point out what he perceived some of the weaknesses of a release were, instead of mindlessly going on about how great everything is. It feels like we are being treated like children sometimes.

But back to merchandise -there are photographs of Jerry wearing tie dye tee shirts-but he didnt seem to be promoting them as brand. I think they produced a tee shirt with Pigpen on, round about 1967-but that always seemed to be ironic to me- a dig at the commercialisation and manufactured glamour of the music industry - Pigpen being the antithesis of all that. Now, through Deadnet, the band have been added on to it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Apron No.. The thing is a weapon.. it's surprisingly well made.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

...I too have the hatchet. It is AWESOME.

Very well built, nice and heavy, sweet GD Workingman's markings.

Hacks very easily at firewood and makes a formidable anti-Michael Meyers weapon....perhaps.

I've not yet thrown it into a target, but my assumption is this could be a world-champion axe throwing axe if skillz are applied appropriately.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

So a hand axe can be a very useful tool, especially when you master the 5-yard toss into a tree. (Man, that's gotta hurt...)

Fly in the ointment, though: why is a defunct rock band selling hand axes? T-shirts and hoodies I get. (But don't buy.) Not to cast asparagus on anyone who purchased whatever...

Ah, the days when the GD would drop Me & Bobby McGee or Me and My Uncle or some such right in the middle of a Dark Star or Other One -- I recall a moment (but not the show, though it was early on) when I turned to my compadre as they segued back into an interstellar jam and said "What the hell just happened?" As I was literally clueless about what had just happened, musically or otherwise. That's why I'm here!

Henceforth, to keep the (imaginary) censors at bay, I'll just use the code word "apron" when I want to bitch about something, anything.

As in, "That 1987 cassette release was totally 'apron,' man!" (KIDDING!!)

Rhino is cashing in while the gettin’ is good.

The Garcia Family is doing the exact same thing.

Actually pretty amazing how popular the band still is 26 years after the trip ended.

I don’t buy the schwag but I definitely buy the music.
Recall how many of us have talked to Deadheads who have no interest in the commercially released concert recordings, but yet they buy the schwag.
That’s why Rhino and the Garcia Family have to have both hands in the pot. Figuratively and realistically speaking, since the Garcia Family attached Jerry’s name to weed too.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I might as well throw my two pennies into the pot: I think it’s fair to say that when you get to the point where you’re marketing not just hats and socks and shirts and ties but also aprons, dog tees, watering cans, leather lighter sleeves, hatchets, and “biscuit bracelets,” whatever those are, I think it’s fair to say your marketing has gone a little overboard. And all Halloween stuff being pushed out there with zero connection to music? WTF?

On the one hand, I don’t have to buy any of this stuff if I don’t want to, and I’m not knocking anybody who does. I myself have purchased an SYF onesie. (Not for myself. Although, if they made them in my size ...) But at some point all this relentless marketing, this effort to squeeze every last possible penny from every last Head starts to feel kinda undude, and very undead.

You want my money? Keep releasing great shows and, here, you can have all of it. But the “SYF pumpkin pin.” Seriously, what even is that?

PS: It's taken me five tries (and counting) to post this, for some reason.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html