• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

11 years

Hard to believe that Root Boy was a frat brother of to be President GWB at Yale and was thrown out by him at a house homecoming party... very strange character there, and the songs, Mood Ring, Used to be a Radical, Christmas at K-mart. Why not when Tricia Nixon invited Grace Slick to the White House and Grace tried to bring Abbie Hoffman in with her. Too political? Danny Gatton was low key way back then, a known D.C. talent, though overshadowed by Roy Buchanan and Nancy. They played around town in several bar/club locations, DuPont Circle, Bethesda, Georgetown. I did not grow to appreciate Danny as such a gifted master of the telecaster until later on, then he seemed all about rockabilly. Now Bill Kirchen, another telecaster master... caught him with Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen, outdoor concert American University in D.C., 1972. Lost in the Ozone Again...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

was the title of Root Boy's last lp, and I have a signed copy of it. We were fortunate enough to catch his last performance in the good old USA at a place called the Junkyard in Altamonte Springs, Fla. He was fat, sweating like he was in a sauna and wasted to the gills but he could still sing in that gravely voice and he could still move about on the stage. We went backstage and I saw his latest lp laying there on a table, I picked it up, ripped off the plastic wrapper and stuck it in his face for his signature. He looked at it and said" where did you get this?" I told him "right over there" he gave me a wink and signed the lp and stuck it in my hand and said "you've got balls man" He had a chunk of hash that night that was as big as a baseball. He was looking forward to his trip back to England, little did we know it would be his last trip.
The first time we met was in 1986 or so at a performance at the Great Southern Music Hall in downtown Orlando, the romantics opened and they were literally booed off the stage after my then good friend (since deceased) took off his boot and threw it at the lead singer, hitting him in the chest, which ended their performance. Boy, was he pissed, we laughed and laughed. Back stage, Root shook my friends hand and said, "That guy is such an asshole, good shot" Good times indeed, loved his band and those Rootets were hot. Mood ring was a good tune, along with "He's not too old for you", "My wig fell off", "In Jail in Jacksonville" and the classic "Boogie till you puke"

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Go to gdsets-dot-com and there is a page with some of Dick’s hand-written notes from his tape trading days.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Bust out your credit card (if you haven’t already), Johnny Cash Bears’s Sonic Journal is coming out on colored vinyl.

Saw it on elusivedisc-dot-com

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Thanks Ice Cream Man. I already had ordered that when it was first announced,,,, I see the date has been pushed back to January now.

All the house comments reminds me of Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House. When Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are working with the architect, drawing all over him plans. They end up with an upstairs twice the size of the downstairs. The architect finally says " Perhaps what you need is not so much a house as a series of little bungalows."

DaP 40 Glass coming today, yeah!

Unsure about the whereabouts of the last 2 45's !!!

Oh yeah, and that Johnny LP should include a comic book!

DCMVT - it's actually his rockabilly playing that turns me on, although the recordings I have could be from a few years after you saw him.There's some great clips of him on youtube - one I really recommend is titled Elvis Medley from 4/10/89. You might think that sounds a bit dull if you don't like Elvis, - but man alive, Danny Gattons picking on this is incendiary!

There seems to something about a telecaster that brings out a certain type of virtuosity you don't tend to find on other electric guitars. Doesn't work for me, mind.

I've never heard of Root Boy, but he sounds like the ticket too.

I seen the name go by on these boards I believe, but still didn't know him.

I have 3 of his albums in stock though,,, Cruisin' Deuces, Live with Robert Gordon - The Humbler and Redneck Jazz.

On redneck jazz , very nice cover of Ode to Billie Joe and the Andy Williams classic, Canadian Sunset.

Thanks for the pointing out, will have to take to work to play.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

And Happy Build-Day to the Proudfoot robot.

I'm listening to Listen to the River in order, and finally made it to D3 of 12/10/71 for the first time; whoa. THAT'S what it's all about!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis -I've never heard Redneck Jazz - I think that was his first album. Crusiin' Deuces has a "Sun Medley" on it which pops the cork...but "The Humbler" is the one for me. One of the best live albums I have ever heard. Robert Gordon is only so so, and it's his show - but Danny Gatton plays out of his skin.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The late, great Evan Johns played guitar and sang on "Redneck Jazz". Danny Gatton returned the favour by joining Evan Johns and the H-Bombs on "Showdown at the Hoedown".

user picture

Member for

11 years

Thanks a bunch Daverock for pointing that clip out, had seen something from the same era, Gatton interviewed on Nightwatch by Charlie Rose, that clip also up on utube... Danny shows Rose different stuff and makes it all look so damn easy... it was me that did not appreciate rockabilly back in the day, now we have seen rockabilly with Albert Lee, Jeff Beck and even a little more with Billy Strings. Check out Johnny Hiland, he takes Danny G as a mentor. Now for something almost completely different, every time slide guitar comes up, noting that Derek T is such a great player, there's a clip up of Sonny Landreth playing with John Hiatt on "Riding with the King" live from Basel... Sonny is amazing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

"Blazing Telecasters" by Danny Gatton and Tom Principato is another album worth checking out if you like, er... blazing Telecasters.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

Magnificent

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Pleeeeeeeeeeease

Pick something from 1969

Pleeeeeeeeeeease

Pick something from 1968

90 87 is nice and all

But

1969 1969 1969

1968 1968 1968

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

does anyone have any shows in their immediate future? Next month I'll be headed to Tucson & Scottsdale for a pair of Los Lobos shows...I might do a swing through Northern New Mexico and Colorado for them too in March...being in Las Vegas last month for the Stones & Santana got me pumped up for more after the last 20 months of mainly stayin put...I also just checked the Tedeschi Trucks Band website and still no info on tickets for their pair of Red Rocks in late July...damn I need to go to those...

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Hoping for a speedy recovery to Brother Carlos after having a heart procedure done last week...Get Well Loco, we need you here still.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

Blazing Telecasters looks worth checking out. I notice that you can get it on dvd, too. The title and description put me in mind of another sparring tele cd-"The Return of The Hellecasters"-the Hellecasters being John Jorgenson, Will Ray and Jerry Donohue. Fiery.

I still don't feel inclinded to go out to gigs yet though. I'm still waiting to see what happens next before I venture out. One of my friends went to see Mary Poppins in London last month, though - and she's not dead yet, so maybe I'm being over cautious.

I came across this show while digging into one of my external HD's...gave a listen to this Charlie Miller Remastered SBD and really enjoyed it...The Big Railroad Blues in the middle of the pre-drums 2nd Set knocked me out...if you have it give a listen today

Grateful Dead
Market Square Arena
Indianapolis, IN
December 5, 1981

--Set 1--
Alabama Getaway ->
Promised Land
Friend of the Devil ->
C C Rider
Cumberland Blues ->
El Paso
Ramble on Rose
Passenger
Bird Song ->
Let It Grow

--Set 2--
Shakedown Street ->
Lost Sailor ->
Saint Of Circumstance
Big Railroad Blues
Playing in the Band ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Wheel ->
Playing in the Band ->
Stella Blue ->
Sugar Magnolia
--Encore--
One More Saturday Night

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Okay, I'm sure most of us have watched as UPS takes days and weeks to move an item one state. (Big Brown does have logistics) So after waiting a week for the final Dave's Glass to come from gnarlywood, email says delivered!!!

Run to front door, no glass,,,, look all around the porch, nope not here.

Check online, says delivered to door and signed for by "Spencer". Problem is no Spencer here.

After many a frustrating attempt at contact, finally someone call me. Tells me it's been handed off to the USPS. I'm like so you're telling me delivered to door is the post office and someone named Spencer signed for it? I asked about a tracking number, she tells me it's their number (1Z..........)

I check PO and no it's not their number (duh)

Call UPS back, a lot of bullshit, but they will call me back. Acted like they were going to find the driver and make him go back to where it was dropped off, pick it back up bring here. HA HA HA HA HA HA

Needless to say, no further word from the folks at UPS (short for up yours?)

Sent in a form to dead.net, hoping for the best. Hoping that where ever it was dropped, that person will see my address and bring here. (further ha?)

Jim, as I said, at least with the axe there was only one and you either got it or didn't. Four random things, you're hoping for the best.

That delivery system is called “mail innovations”.
Not very innovative.

I have the UPS and USPS apps and when used together you can actually keep pretty good track of packages from Gnarlywood. But, you can’t speed them up.
It’s the alter ego of Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

My reCRAPTCHA on another page said ‘buses’, and it was one big picture of a UPS truck.

I think it’s a sign……

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Too big to care.

Dane!
Another beaut, that whole run up to 12/9, DaP 20 is hot!
That pick still really puzzles me?
IMHO, Once again he picked a good city and street/neighborhood, but went to the wrong house.

Still say Dane box would be fun.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Short answer, glass came today via USPS,,,, yeah.

Longer answer - though I had a tracking number for the item, it was only a UPS number.

UPS said they dropped at the Post Office, so shocked they said "inside delivery", and that Spencer signed for it in the delivery status online. I would have thought when I talk to UPS and they told me that, that they would have had a tracking code for the Post Office. Odd too because the package itself had a USPS tracking number on it!?!

So I was wrong, there I said it. Still say UPS sucks. Post Office brought the damn thing today (SUNDAY).

Why I love my Post Office! Now I have the complete set!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Anyone else keeping up?

I like the artwork he's using for the "cover".

He appears to be (at least after 5 days) to only be using "official release" stuff.

I always view these as just a nice playlist someone else put together.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Dennis I've been trying to find this. Any clues?

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by nitecat

linernotesmusicblog.wordpress .com 2021 12 01 31-days-of-dead-2021-introduction-day-1-help-on-the-way-slipknot-franklins-tower-san-francisco-ca-8-13-75

I hope this works,,,, that is the info without the back slashes. He is not posting the songs since they all have been official releases, but once I see what song he picks I add to a folder.

BTW - once december is over I will post all the songs in order on my g drive, there they will numbered and labeled correctly.

Hope that helps

This was a good one to bring back; I do feel like it could have been offered some more breathing room to begin to resemble the jammy gem it once was during it's original '73 - '74 stint. In fact I was just listening to a top two version from today's date in 1973 - you know, the show with the monster 45 minute Dark Star. That HCS ranks up there with Dick's Pick's 1 Tampa IMHO. Fight me!

The Eugene show from '93 of which Proudfoot speaks is also fantastic.... and a rebooted HCS kicked it off; also included is a really long & jazzy Bird Song and tight peppy China > Rider in the 2nd. In fact that two show little run would make a fine release one day, it's all hot.

Be Well and Merry, People.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Sigh, alas, one of the biggins (and one of my favs) that I didn’t get to see : (

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

You can have the one I got to see... but I'm not complaining, they tossed in a the last Comes a Time which made up for it a bit. The early ones were definitely better..

Edit: I would have liked to have seen an Unbroken Chain and how about another Visions of Johana (although I did catch the lesser version performed in '86). That's my late era song I wish I'd have seen. I guess I should be more grateful about my Here Comes Sunshine as I only saw a couple shows post 91.. if only Kermit the Frog didn't sing it. It's such a beautiful tune and the harmonies are a big part of that. In hindsight.. perhaps I am a bit too critical of the later era shows, when they were on, they could still bring it and they brought happiness to so many people right up until the end, I am grateful for that. It was a great community service they performed.. the gift that keeps on giving.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

KF and Doc were over on Listen to the River comments and wondering where we all are. Da40 of course, we're always on the most current release. This is a little harder to get to without going through Community, then Dead Store Product. But this AM it wouldn't let me sign in to comment on The River tab even though I was already signed in to the home page. More weirdness. Fitting for us misfits I guess. I do need my daily dose of Doc's pearls of wisdom and esoteric thoughts so glad he posts far and wide. (and DR, I know they are quotes but I love how perfectly poignant they are) Cheers

Edit: Still having issues signing in to comment today. Took three tries for this round. The site trying to tell me something?

I saw the first and last ones. Just listened to them both again.
I kinda like the first one?
Don’t recall the second one though I know I’ve heard it?
The last one was actually decent considering the time.
Don’t think I’ve heard the others?

Saw the 7/9/95 Chain. Also decent, actually listened/watched that show the other night.
Weird, there’s only video on utoooob of part of the show?
Certainly not mind blowing but not that bad a show really.
Its certainly better sounding then I remember it, though some of that was situational etc.
You can tell Phil and Bob are trying hard to compensate and playing hard.

It’s funny that none of the shows I thought were bad at the time, now don’t seem too bad?
Certainly not great, but worth a listen. Not terrible…

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

How does this happen?

I dreamed last night that 1971 Bob Weir was sitting at a piano and made a comment something to the effect "Keith doesn't play with much soul."

W

T

F

?????????????????????????????????????????????

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I think you're right.. When I pop on the soundboards of some of the shows I thought were a tad stinky and give them a listen, they usually sound much better than how they went down in my mind.. especially the ones that were recorded well. I have not listened to Visions side by side before, but I really like the one from the rectum on 3/18/95. I am happy I caught the Hampton '86 one though.. and the last Comes a Time at the Crap Centre in 94. Stand-out memories from some less than stand-out periods in GD History. I do have some regrets on some of the shows I let slip by.. Augusta 84 being one of them. I had a ticket offer for that one. D'OH!

Speaking of dead dreams.. I had a weird one last night and it definitely referred to my show seeing period. I ran into this guy I didn't recognize but who remembered me from back in the day. He got into this side bar about old times and the woman he had married that apparently dated me back then. So this guy goes on discussing fond memories and things that went down that we both shared (I guess). He called to his wife who walked over and gave me a hug, she hadn't aged a bit and still had it going on (why didn't I marry her?, the one that got away).. anyway, as me and her husband had a jovial conversation walking down memory lane he casually said I've got some doses, want some? At which point I immediately woke up thinking but not able to say yes and poof, he was gone and I'm staring at the ceiling. I had this vivid visual of this woman and I never dated her but she looked like a composite of all the women I knew back in my early college years. Weird I know, but sort of GD related.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was at Compton 12.6.92 for the big HCS comeback. Christ that venue sucked. Anyway, it's probably my best live Dead memory, along with the 2 RFK Dark Stars (91 and 92 I believe) and the Casey Jones comeback on 6.20.92. Dead & Co does a mean version if you haven't checked it out yet you should.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

Lol, wow, cool dream!
I don’t really dream much, but I’ve had similar where there’s some awesome gal seems hot on me and just about when we’re going to find out, Dooooaaaahhh, I wake up lol.

Casey Jones, that’s the other “old” song I didn’t catch.
Can’t complain saw many of the “musts” and many rare, firsts, lasts etc.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....I'm partial to this one. "Count your age by your friends, not your years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."
Also, "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."
TURN OFF YOUR MIND, RELAX, AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis thanks for the clue. It's interesting Ed is choosing officially released music this year.

We finished the Beatles three parter last night and the rooftop show was exciting. Interesting they agreed they had seven songs worked up but only played four, with two repeats.

Earlier I posted that this longer doc couldn't possibly hide unpleasant moments. How silly of me, I realized when I understood that they had over 64 hours of footage.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html