• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!

Last five:
2/2/1970
4/6/1969
3/22/1972
4/18/1970
4/3/1970

Believe it or not, not yet jonesing for 71 shows...........

Night before last, freezing cold in Green Cove Springs, high 30s. Brrrr.............

Rock on,

Doc
You make choices every day and almost every hour that keep you walking in the light or moving away toward darkness......

Well I played this again yesterday and it blew my socks off. I played it immediatley after the 9/3/72 jam from the vinyl Dicks Picks 36, which centres on "The Other One". I couldn't believe how fast the 1971 show sounded in comparison - they are practically tripping over themselves on the opening "Bertha" and "Truckin". I have never noticed this before - so it may have been just me and the contrast to what I had been listening to. Exceptional recording, too - the bonus discs included with "American Beauty".

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Last 5

DaP 37 4/15/78
Two From The Vault 8/24/68
30 Trips Around The Sun 9/28/75
Listen To The River 10/19/72
"The ESP Tests" 2/21/71

DaP 37 Notes 4/15/78 - continuing to grow on me. The bonus stuff from 4/18 really bolsters this release. I will listen again soon.

30 Trips 1975 Lindley Meadows - always dug this show and enjoyed Jerry's tone and volume. Recently read an entire article dedicated to the glory of this concert. I recall the hype for this show when we found out it would be part if 30 Trips. There are some who would include this in their top 5 Desert Island releases. Tough call. Always bums me that it's so short. I think a 3rd set would have done the trick, but I feel like I want more here.

Two From The Vault - now this one is definitely on my top 5 Desert Island list (must be expanded version with tracks from 8/23 - I could swear they get into Mountain Jam during Alligator - was Mountain Jam even a thing in '68?

2/21/71 - Love this release. The audio is fantastic, the set list is great and they were playing real good. Can't seem to locate Pigpen's lyric flub in Easy Wind. Probably better that way.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I'd have to go back to the Vault shows and check but Mountain jam or something similar could be a possibility. Mountain jam is based off Donovan's "There is a mountain" which came out in 67 just the year before the Vault show...the plot thickens.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I found this on the ABB website. Who can say how accurate it is, but I think it's cool that such a high profile jam by ABB may have come from Jerry himself!

The quote from a fan:
"Apparently it came from Jerry Garcia. Years ago Bill Graham said in an interview he walked back to the dressing rooms at the Fillmore and Jerry Garcia, Peter Green and Duane Allman were jamming to Donavon's First Their Is A Mountain and began to notice both the Dead and the ABB began playing variations of it in their shows but with the Dead it was sporadic and the ABB began playing it every show. If the Dead jammed to the song in 1967-68, it must have come to Duane from Garcia. Duane is said to have played it with the Dead in early 1970."

Can you imagine Jerry, Duane, and Peter Green jamming together?

Keithfan I have had Two From The Vault for a few years. I was surprised to see you list it as a top 5 "dessert island" pick. My recollection was that it was just okay, with the exception of The Eleven. I listened top to bottom last night and included bonus disc 3 with the Alligator in question. I definitely hear Mountain Jam.

This show is way better than I remembered. Pigpen sounds great on the organ. I don't know how people can say he wasn't a good player. The Dead weren't looking a Keith Emerson for the band. I think Pig plays creatively and doesn't jump into places unnecessarily. What more can you ask for?

The Other One is now in my top 5 Other Ones. I like it better without the drum solo. Those drums always pull me out of the moment. I will listen to this show more.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...this one is absolutely a top 5 / Desert Island Pick for me as well.

One cannot ignore the sheer power and pulsation that occurs on these discs; it is unrelenting in nearly every way, start to finish. And it has it all from this mighty era....the Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven; a ridiculous Lovelight, what I feel is also one of the raunchiest gut-punching The Other Ones into flat out THE BEST New Potato Caboose...just listen to Phil take the screaming, charging lead out of that final verse. Mind numbing. And of course that Alligator on the expanded edition, all 18+ minutes of it....inclusive of the touch on Mountain Jam...purely sublime. This is definitely a 'dust-it-off'er' if you haven't yoinked it out of your CD case in a while.

Good Call and discussion.

Be Well People.
Sixtus

P.S. re: Office Space: "It's not just about me and my dream of doing nothing; it's about all of us, together".
My Hero.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

As Sixtus says, this has a great version of New Potato Caboose on it - it stops me in my tracks every time I hear it.
This was supposed to be coming out on vinyl again last year. Release date kept getting delayed and delayed and then one day I got an email to say it was unavailable and my order was cancelled. Shame.
I hope 3/1/69 doesn't go the same way. I notice they have now got a picture of the cover on Amazon UK, whereas they just had a blank space there yesterday. Encouraging - although it still maintains its unavailable.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Lest ye forget: Garcia plays the “Mountain” melody on Anthem of the Sun in one of the sections where the studio stuff gives way to “live” jamming. Not sure which show that live jam came from, but I think there were four concerts that made their way onto Anthem, and they were all from late ’67-early ’68. So the Dead was playing that theme pretty early on, and I’ve always assumed the ABB heard it (either on the record or live) and then worked up “Mountain Jam.”

Looks like presales for DaP 41 are underway. It’ll be interesting to see how quickly it sells out. Lots of folks here seem kind of underwhelmed, probably because hardcore Heads already have heard so much Spring ’77. I know I’m kinda feeling that way. But then again, there’s a reason ’77 Dead is so popular.

Time travel? I’m game. Set the controls for the heart of ’69 and I’ll meet you at the Two from the Vaults shows. Just don't dose me: not sure my 63 year old self could handle it. These days a couple of protabs and a beer and I'm likely to wake up naked on the lawn.

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

user picture

Member for

11 years

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

product sku