• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'll admit that I'm always late to the party, but has someone already asked why the set lists aren't listed above in the usual manner? I've looked them up of course courtesy of Mr. Google, but I prefer to be able to quickly jump to the lists on this site when someone here mentions a specific song or sequence of songs.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

So is it one complete show and most of the other night or Two incomplete shows? They mention its almost complete. So what do you leave off?
Subscription offer for 2022 should be soon.

This is 10 minutes down the road from where i live. I regularly go past the gates but have never been the other side. If Jiminmd pops over my way I'm sure Olivia could be 'persuaded' to sell up

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

October 22, 1971
Auditorium Theater, Chicago, Illinois

Set 1: Bertha-Me and My Uncle-Tennessee Jed-Jack Straw-Loser-Playing in the Band-Sugaree-Beat It On Down the Line-Black Peter-Mexicali Blues-Cold Rain and Snow-Me and Bobby McGee-Comes a Time-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Ramble On Rose-Cumberland Blues-That's It for the Other One>Deal-Sugar Magnolia-Casey Jones-Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to Gainesville, leedesj, drpryan, andoverdeadhead, estimated-eyes, fourwindsblow, Thin, JeffSmith, DeadVikes, and Mr. Ones, because why not?

As writers and readers, as sinners and citizens, our realism and our aesthetic sense make us wary of crediting the positive note……

No wariness here. This is a relatively unknown but very positive show. A show of apparent contrasts---a solid, fourteen song first set, followed by a seemingly short second set…..

However, with that being said, if you’d like to hear a really fine late 71 Other One, here you go!!

LOL, one of my October 71 guilty pleasures. The other, we’ll discuss on the 29th……….

Rock on!!!

Doc
Many of the insights of the saint stem from their experience as sinners…..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

5/5/78 was shared in it's entirety back when Taper's Section permitted downloading. So, the 1st set board does indeed float about. Alas, they were 192 kbps mp3s.

-edit- Oh, you really mean actual tape! I see it's on archive already, too. haha lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

US Blues encore from 2nd night.

I always thought Victim was a cool song. Caught one of the early versions at Buckeye Lake in 1988. The crowd reaction was priceless. This song actually frightened people. Not every song has to be light and joyful like Sugar Magnolia or Touch of Grey. It was dark and sinister and was a great point of tension and release in the setlist show pacing.

The only songs I never really warmed up to were Wave To The Wind, I Fought The Law (I caught the 1st and it was the booby prize of the cancelled 1st night blizzard show) and Samba In The Rain which Jerry never nailed.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by docmarty

I'm on my way. Please tell Olivia I should make tea time and I'm interested in one or more of her garden gnomes.

Honestly.. after reading up, this has got to be one of the coolest places.

Edit: Oh, tell her not to worry, I am fully vaxed and quite harmless. :D

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Was over at the Jerry site and surprised that the JGB album being released in vinyl isn't sold out yet. I KNOW if I got up at 5 in the morning to stand in line on RSD, it be sold out by the time I got to the front of the line!!

I really need to see how the "box set is wrapped with textured paper". What could that texture be???

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

I don't know.. I plan to study it then lick one of the corners.. then wait an hour and see what happens.

Didn't they release this on 180 gram already like 5 or 6 years ago or something?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

One is a pathetic ripoff the other, the boys making up for lost cash with an ok presentation
Sorry as Mick said in ‘89 when Bill left “ oh if Charlie left that would be the end “

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

October 23, 1971
Eastown Theater, Detroit, Michigan

Set 1: Bertha-Playing In The Band-Loser-Mexicali Blues-Sugaree-Jack Straw-Big Railroad Blues-El Paso-Ramble On Rose-Me And Bobby McGee-Cumberland Blues-Brokedown Palace-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Casey Jones-Me And My Uncle-Tennessee Jed-Sugar Magnolia-Comes A Time-Truckin'-Brown-Eyed Women-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

This is deadicated to Jay Carstens…..

“The word tonight is easy going, you know how it is………….”

And easy going it was. While there’s no “big jam”, it’s still a fine and enjoyable show. The new material is nicely on display, a very Bakersfield kind of show, relatively unknown and underappreciated, definitely worthy of a listen, and with no hint of what would be unleashed the following evening……

Rock on!!

Doc
…..but it also turned out to be hell……

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I ordered the 10 lp collection of Joni Mitchell's archive set. Suppose to come around end of month. Got an email pushed back to 2/15/22,,, okay. Yesterday I get an email saying it has been shipped,,,, wow i think. Then I examine the email closer,,,, not the lp's coming but 7x7 inch poster which comes with the box set!!!

Really,,, they're doing a separate mailing for the "art print"!!!!!

You just have to shake your head at somethings that happen :-)

But Jerry is still on track!!! (they had the textured paper in stock)

I do love a box set, but some of them do include an awful lot of tat. Art prints, posters-worst of all fascimiles of tickets from long gone gigs you never went to. I'm not 15 years old for chrissake. No disrespect intended to 15 year olds who may be reading
And not meaning necessarily to diss you're art print, Dennis, which might be an exception to the rule.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

tried it, says it is the wrong numb er and to get in touch with the sender, so, ..... when will this be shipped? when was it suppose to be shipped? is there shipping going on in here, shipping I say shipping so shipping is by ups not usps, will it be delivered to my mail box or to front door? just wondering if I will ever see this release.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Did you get a shipping notice from dead.net or a UPS notification?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today………….

Skullfuck aka The Skull Album aka Skull & Roses was released………..

Bertha [4/27/71]-Mama Tried [4/26/71]-Big Railroad Blues [4/5/71]-Playing In The Band [4/6/71]-The Other One [4/28/71]-Me & My Uncle [4/29/71]-Big Boss Man [4/26/71]-Me & Bobby McGee [4/27/71]-Johnny B. Goode [3/24/71]-Wharf Rat [4/26/71]-Not Fade Away/Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [4/5/71]

The expanded version released in 2003 includes “Oh Boy” and “Hog For You Baby” from the Manhattan Center show of April 6, 1971, as well as a short radio spot. Organ overdubs performed by Merl Saunders were used on Bertha, Playing In The Band, and Wharf Rat. Recording by Betty Cantor and Bob Matthews, artwork by Alton Kelly, photography by Bob Seidemann. It was the first Grateful Dead album to be certified “Gold” by the RIAA.

IMHO, a very fine live album, which we loved dearly and played the ever-loving sh*t out of. But, as fine as it was and is, could it have been better? Maybe. Could’ve done without the drum solo. Why no Hard To Handle? Where was the Morning Dew? And could you imagine IF this has been a 3 record set? That would have been crazy, man, crazy!!!!

A remastered 50th anniversary edition was released on June 25, 2021. It did not include the bonus tracks that were found on the 2003 re-issue. However, it did include a bonus disc with material from the July 2, 1971 Fillmore West show. GREAT BIG THANKS!!!

This was the first 1971 live Dead we ever heard, and it sounded mighty fine! And yes, rockers, I still listen to it, it’s been part of the soundtrack to my entire adult life…………

Rock on!!

Doc
Erudition - dust shaken out of a book into an empty skull…..

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

October 24, 1971
Eastown Theater, Detroit, Michigan

Set 1: Sugar Magnolia-Deal-El Paso-Tennessee Jed-Jack Straw-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Playing In The Band-Black Peter-Candyman-One More Saturday Night-Casey Jones

Set 2: Truckin'-Ramble On Rose-Mexicali Blues-Dark Star>Me And Bobby McGee-Cumberland Blues-St. Stephen-Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to FLH, DarklordBerto, dewajack, docmarty, m-skjellyfetti, Cousins Of The Pioneers, simonrob, lycanthrope51, snafu, and otheronerat, because it was a day of rest……..

Super rare Sugar Mags to kick it off. Fine mid first set China/Rider. Unusual, two back-to-back Garcia songs in the first set. Solid Truckin’ to open the second set. Excellent 71 Dark Star, possibly Latvala’s favorite of the year (10/24/71 Dark Star: Killer. “He loved this Dark Star and thought it was out of place for 1971, feeling more like 1969.”).

You don’t hear a lot about this show, but there’s certainly a lot to like here…….

What is the good of your stars and trees, your sunrise and the wind, if they do not enter into our daily lives?

Rock on!!

Doc
And he that strives to touch the stars,
Oft stumbles at a straw…..

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

Doc, I agree with you, it is really a great live album. I wish they would have included a version of Easy Wind. Like you say, a third album added to the release would have been great.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Last 5:
John Coltrane-A Love Supreme-Live In Seattle
Shawn Phillips-Second Contribution
Pink Floyd-The Wall
Paul McCartney-Run Devil Run
10/18/72

Hadn’t played The Wall front to back in ages. Still enjoyable. Not ready for Dave’s 40, I have 1 more 72 show, and 2 ‘73’s yet to go.

Music is Life!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Argent Encore
Gentle Giant Playing the Fool
Grateful Dead SSDD (CD)
Yes Time & A Word
Pink Floyd Animals

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

I like these - so here's mine

Complete Motown Singles 1967 - cd36 Various
Psychedelic Soul The Temptations
Starday Custom Series cd3 Various
Live in Vancouver 11/5/2000 The Cramps
Michigan Box 1950s and 1960s Oddball Labels cd3 Various

Last Dead was Live in Paris 9/18/74 on Saturday.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I predict today will be the announcement for early bird pricing & the show will be 5/26/77, of course I could be wrong. Next Monday is November first which means 30 Days of November starts.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

8-4-76 Roosevelt Stadium
Led Zep - IV
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced
Ace - An Ace Album
5-17-77 - Tuscaloosa

Paul Carrack of Ace, Mike & The Mechanics, others? Great vocalist. I think he won a Grammy or two.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Heard this guy last night James Booker. Piano player, never heard of him,,, did a cover of Eleanor Rigby,,, great.

Anyone out there know his work and maybe have a good collection of it,,,, I'd take some if available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

St Louis Box
Zappa Little Dots
Zappa’s Last U S show ‘ 88
JGB w Clarence Clemons
Tattoo You box
The new Dead box was fun I’m going back for another run

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

.... maybe most have heard.

Jerry Garcia playing with James Booker.

Very, Very Nice.

do a search for 'James Booker with Jerry Garcia - Slowly But Surely'

anyone have this rehearsal practice?

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Anyone else get a shipping notification? I’m still waiting for mine…….

Anyone? Anyone?

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

First time playing this game:

GD: 10/29/73

The Ronnie Wood Band: Mr. Luck

The Flatlanders: Treasure of Love

George Harrison: All Things Must Pass 50th

Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship: Blows Against the Empire

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

Been pretty burned out on Dead, but managed to get Docs 10/71 shows in.
Letting the box sit for a bit before we have at again…

Been listening to a lot of jazz.
Have 3 Bill Evans albums I never really checked out, now our new regular go to picks!
Also some Soul Jazz; mix of Idris Muhammad, and a mix of Grover Washington jr.
Kind of a blur?… Coltrane Live at Birdland, Tribute to Jack Johnson, Cannonball Adderley Something Else, Dexter Gordon Go, Round Midnight Soundtrack, too many to remember? McCoy Tyner, Charles Mingus, Charlie Hunter, Horace Silver…?

Really looking forward to 40 for something completely different!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by adedhed68

I would give it until Wednesday, then notify marye.

the electronic mice might have chewed into your order.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks man. You’re right, it’s the Gremlins

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

Guided by Voices - Propeller
Gary Burton Quartet and Eberhard Weber - Passengers
Millie Jackson - It Hurts So Good
Old time music at Clarence Ashley's Vol 2
Dave's Picks 38 - Sept. 73

Good weekend mix. Looking forward to Dave's 40 - maybe next weekend?

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard: I’m in Your Mind Fuzz
The Meters: Gettin’ Funkier All the Time
Grateful Dead: 12/10/71 from StL box
Roy Hargrove: The Vibe
Colin Davis/Dresden: Berlioz Overtures

Who’s the greatest band around, makes the cats jump up and down?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don Leady - Cumbia meets the blues
The Jimmie Vaughan story
Evan Johns - Panoramic life
Freda and the Firedogs
The Cobras - Live & deadly

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

First time trying this out as well

The Blues Brothers - Briefcase Full of Blues
Wilson Pickett - Hey Jude
The Equatics - Doin' It!!!
Grateful Dead - 9/18/90 Bonus Disc
The Police - Reggatta De Blanc

Still waiting on a shipping confirmation for DaP 40 - I've noticed that I usually get my tracking # around the day of the official release which is a bit disappointing but I assume it's because the SF Bay Area is much closer to the warehouses in SoCal and as such they prioritize orders from further away. Hope to receive it soon and hope everyone's having a great start to their week :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

GD 10-18-72
Manuel Ponce 3 Preludes
Villa-Lobos Prelude No. 3
Antonio Vivaldi Concerto in D Major for Guitar
J.S. Bach Chaconne BWV 1004 (Segovia Transcription)

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

GD 10-19-72
Lynyrd Skynyrd 8-21-76
GD 10-17-72
Steve Miller 8-3-77
GD 12-10-71

GD 10-30-73 is playing now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Anyone ever listen to the Charlie Miller Audience tape.... "Space" out of drums and into Playing has the funkiest 8 minute infectious, feet tapping jam i have ever heard.... Not deep space or jazzy... doesn't sound like anything else to compare it to.... calypso feeling... bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

GD 9/2/83 2nd disk great.
David allen Coe
Sabbath bloody sabbath
Ozzy-live speak of the devil
Arlo Guthrie-Woodstock.
Bonus- criterion-the complete Monterey pop festival.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Comes with a bonus disc, right? If so, I'm going with 10-2-77, paired with 10-1. Should be able to get most of 10-1, too as 10-2 is a shorter gig. Being 1977, it'll attract a lot of folks to subscribe. That said, we are overdue for some 1969.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html