• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • bob t
    Jim i also had the Hard to Handle audience tape, but when they put it on Fall out from the Phil Zone it was amazing!!! The Vision of Johanna is great also!! VGuy my case broke also that is why i didn't see it
  • JimInMD
    That is the best Midnight Hour to bounce into my ears..The whole CD is pretty damned good.
  • bob t
    So i just found my old copy of this CD. Not with all my other Dead releases... I know a lot of the songs have been released now on other full shows, but man the Midnight Hour, (31 minutes long) from Rio Nido, 9/3/67 is just awesome in so many ways!!! If you are a pig pen fan and never have listened, you will love it... I always wonder if the woman Pigpen tries so hard to get to dance, knows that she is on an album!!! bob t
  • shirdeep
  • JimInMD
    Sacred ground VGuy. The original recordings were once thought to be subpar, not worthy of release.. Along came the late, great sound Warlock Don Pearson (RIP) and the rest is history. ______________________ Per Wikipedia: The concert was recorded on a then-state-of-the-art, one-inch 8-track tape machine that was supplied by the band's record label, Warner Bros. The record company also insisted on supplying engineers who turned out to be unfamiliar with the close miking technique involved in recording rock music. Consequently, each of the eight tracks contained significant leakage from all of the other instruments in the band, resulting in severe phase cancellation problems. Almost twenty-four years later, Don Pearson and producer Dan Healy solved this problem by employing a B&K 2032 Fast Fourier transform (FFT) digital spectrum analyzer to measure the delay in time between the different microphones, using the track of bassist Phil Lesh as the time centerpiece. The delay times were fed into a TC1280 stereo digital delay, which, along with careful mixing, resulted in a nearly perfect stereo image. ______________________ And VGuy.. Rich is likely spending his days doing covert ops in Eastern Europe searching for the remaining missing reels.. but you mentioned his name likely blowing his cover. I hope Bolo, aka the fixer, isn't reading these boards. I suggest you lay low for a while, take some much needed time off. Stay away from the internet, phones, electricity and don't turn on the lights. Do you best to explain this to Mrs. VGuy and VGuy Jr. I'm sure this will all just blow over. BEWARE of people in clown costumes, however.. I cannot emphasize this enough. STAY AWAY FROM CLOWNS. Over and out.. Seriously, Two From the Vault gospel music for the soul, a short-cut to divinity. Edit: KC Jones.. 1970 Dancin' in the Streets speaks to me. And that Man's World.. If you play it loud enough the bones of James Brown himself can be heard grooving to the beat six feet under.
  • CaseyJanes
    Dancing In The Street got me dancin' in the livin' room.....My 1st Listen to this one, Great Show!!!!
  • daverock
    ..the tapes were a revelation. I came across them about 1987-first of all in a shop in Manchester, where someone was selling hundreds of live shows on tape from so many bands-including The Dead. Shortly after that, I think through a fanzine called Spiral Light, I came across someone who was running a tape library. Steve Green, his name was. He had a list of shows, and he would record them for you if you sent him the blanks and postage. Brilliant-it was how I first heard Binghampton May 1970, February 11th, 13th and 14th 1970 and April 28th and 29th 1971 shows-quite a few actually. Up until then it had just been the official albums for me. I often wonder what happened to him-and all the other people who contributed to Spiral Light. They really did turn me on to a deeper sense of who The Dead were.
  • Vguy72
    ....has anyone heard from Rich Gergelis lately? Starting to get concerned. He hooked me up with a lot of pristine Dead & Co soundboards last year. Texting him getting no responses.
  • Vguy72
    ....but Two From The Vault? I understood then, that things were getting serious. Where are we now? A Hundred and Fourteenth from the Vault? Because 14.
  • JimInMD
    There was lots of chatter once the CD format came to be that the Dead would begin releasing shows from the vault. ..but nothing seemed to be happening quickly. Then one day it happened, One From the Vault was released and it was wonderful. Like Christmas. I think Dan Healy either did an interview or wrote the liner notes.. something to the effect of where to start? We know this circulates widely so why did we pick this show? Because it kicks ass.. (or something like that). Then soon after the Dicks Picks serious started.. although it got off to a wobbly start, it kicked ass too. To me it was more reminiscent of a kid in a candy store.. They could not come fast enough. In the beginning, before you had a hundred or two hundred Normanized shows to chose from.. I wore those CDs out with repeated listens. Then came Charlie Miller and the Archive and oh boy... then the FW and E72 boxes.. oh mama.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

I can't wait to hear Dave's Picks 25...when is this gonna go on sale?
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Damn! That is a hard stop. I rarely listen past '78 myself, except for the occasional '89 or '90 show (Sorry, gang -- Brent still hurts my ears even after all these years). But drawing the line at the end of the E72 tour? 'Tis a bit flummoxing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

I'm not an Irish bug...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

First off, I could not agree with KeithFan2112 any more: The Waterbury, CT 9/24/72 gig from the 30 Trips Boxset is an absolute gem and Garcia throws down some of the most explosive leads of his career! I believe that show is SO unbelievably mind blowing that I seriously consider the price of the WHOLE boxset worth it just for that show (of course thankfully it's filled with many other killer shows as well, especially the always classic Cape Cod gig from 10/27/79). The "Dark Star" from 9/24/72 is simply astounding and the show as a whole rivals ANY previously released show from the amazing month of September '72 (in my humble opinion). It is a show I did NOT have prior to 30 Trips and I am still in awe that a show of that level had previously existed in relative obscurity. However, the main thing I wanted to bring up is how fortunate the accidents of history can some times be. This pertains to the fact that until recently the soon to arrive Dave's Picks 25, the absolute monster rock-a-thon that is Binghamton, NY 11/6/77, was NOT in the vault. I am a rabid fan of 11/6/77 and I remember when Dick's Picks Vol. 34 was released (featuring the gig from the night before in Rochester, NY 11/5/77) I was truly kind of pissed off! It was like what the fuck? Why was this Rochester show chosen over Binghamton? Being much younger I was unaware that the masters for the 11/6 Binghamton show I'd loved so much (via my CDRs) was NOT in the Vault. In the end however, this was a HUGE stroke of luck for me, as HAD 11/6 been available and released as Dick's Vol. 34, I may have (though I doubt it, but one never knows for sure) somehow overlooked 11/5/77 in Rochester, a gig which over the years I've grown to greatly cherish (to basically an equal extent as 11/6 in Binghamton). Both shows are simply phenomenal! Like Dave brought up in his video intro for Dave's Vol. 25, had 11/6 been in the Vault years ago, there would have been all the makings for quite a ferocious boxset! Personally I'd start it with 11/1 at Cobo Hall in Detroit (just a fantastic gig and start to Nov. '77), then include the 11/2 Seneca College gig in Toronto (which is nearly complete if you own Dick's 34 and Dave's 12), and the already released 11/4 Colgate University-Hamilton, NY (Dave's 12), 11/5 Rochester, NY (Dicks Vol. 34), and the soon to be released Dave's Picks 25 featuring the blisteringly beautiful performance in Binghamton, NY from 11/6/77. Wow, what a boxset those 5 shows would've made!!!! I look forward to this November and listening to each show on the appropriate date! But again I go back to the bizarre vagaries of history. The quite well-known 11/6 Binghamton tapes weren't in the Vault, so the folks in charge wisely chose the slightly lesser known gig from the night before in Rochester (and tossed in a nice chunk of the 11/2 show from Toronto). Dick's Picks 34 is probably second ONLY to Dick's Picks Vol. 10 (one of my Top 10 favorite shows of all-time: the lysergic, powder-power that is "The Nine", 12/29/77 at Winterland) as my favorite Dick's Pick from 1977 (which is saying a lot when one considers the majesty present on Dick's Picks 29 particularly, but also found on Dick's Volumes 3 and 15). So the lack of tapes for 11/6 allowed me to be introduced to 11/5 in Rochester, a different (but in many great ways VERY similar) show which I at the time did not have a copy of. A show which I absolutely adore and listen to EVERY 11/5, just as I do with 11/6 in Binghamton. It's great that the imaginary boxset discussed above will now (with the exception of 11/1/77 in Detroit, a show which is certainly available with a bit of exploration or through the kind favor of a friend) be virtually complete (with the upcoming release of Dave's Picks Vol. 25, of course). It was well worth the wait and I'm glad that Binghamton's unavailability at the time may have played a role in introducing me (and likely many others) to another show that exhibits its own similar brand of magic sparks: 11/5 in Rochester (aka Dick's Picks 34)! Keep up the GREAT work Mr. Lemieux and Co., I'm super excited to retire my 11/6 Binghamton CDRs in favor of what I'm sure will be (as always) a major league upgrade! Thanks for bringing these amazing recordings back to life and to all who have a hand in making them available! Also for presenting them in the respectful manner they deserve... I am an obsessive heavy metal and hardcore punk (of the 70's-80's), as well as prog/post-psych/Krautrock/acid jazz (of the late-60's & 70's) collector who just happens to believe the Grateful Dead were the single greatest vessels of rock 'n' roll expression the human species has yet produced. I am not deifying them as individuals but rather crediting them for their efforts in their particular corner of time and space. They are the one rock 'n' roll group whom I feel transcend all genres, as their "genre" is the sound of their (and our) existence in all its emotive range. From a historical perspective they entered their time and fulfilled a tremendous task simply by a constant yearning for experience, a sufficient degree of musical skill and just enough ambition to steadily improve and grow, and a intense desire to be themselves and have fun while avoiding (to the extent reasonably possible) the pitfalls of ego caused by success. For me, and many others, they shall forever remain the most fascinating musical (or if you wish to be broad: artistic) phenomena of 20th Century American culture. P.S.: IF you're ever running short on ideas for DP releases (haha), it'd be amazing to have 7/18/72 restored, the intensity of 8/12/72 from Sacramento, 10/25/73 in Madison, WI, 6/23/74-Miami, 7/25/74-Chicago (a endlessly fascinating gig which has flown far too long beneath the average fan's radar), and the epic 9/11/74 final London Alexandra Palace gig in its entirety. A collection dealing strictly with Ned Lagin and "Seastones" would also be rad! Just a few suggestions, lord knows you don't get enough already I'm sure! Best of luck and best wishes...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

I have two balls and since I'm left handed I guess I'm a bit more partial to my left nut...Makes sense doesn't it?
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

One should hang lower than the other.A psychologist I know claims that the side that hangs lower indicates that the opposite sided brain lobe is the dominant lobe. Quackery? Sounds like it to me. But what do I know, I rub ice cream on my forehead. On the other hand (nut), you’d be amazed at the clairvoyance one can obtain by rubbing ice cream on one’s head.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

It went on sale ... and it sold out.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

My asian friend Wun Hung Loh thinks someone is taking the piss here.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Does anyone know where to find a time machine? ...McFly?
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Talk with JimInMD...his wayback machine is currently set to 2/14/68 I believe, but it can go anywhen. If that is in use, try the flying mower with magical time travelling cartridges. Pick me up on the way please. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

You may not be, but (ironically) I am.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I can still remember my first listen of this show. Jerry Moore audience. Mind-blowing performance aside, I remember not getting over how hopped-up the audience was for this entire show. And we all know how much an act like The GD fed off of a crowd like this one! Bobby even throws out a "you're a good audience" just before the encore. I don't recall another show where that was acknowledged. How about the roar of the crowd at "vitamin C 'n cocaine" and Garcia responding with a wicked lick? Fuckin' Binghamton. :-)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

Back home after traveling to a funeral for a family friend (looks like I missed a lot of good chat)! Hope everyone out there is doing something right this minute that makes them happy. Life is too short for anything else. My plans tonight are to drink red wine, hang out with my family...and of course honor the dead by playing dead. have a great weekend everyone -
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

80sfan.. I'll be right there, what exit should I take?
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Grateful Dead Highway
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I work as a teacher in special education. Some surly kids, even in elementary school. NO. NO. NO. Well, I don't wanna work. hmph. must...complete...week...
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I love this attitude from evilynn2003 (and I quote) "I believe that show is SO unbelievably mind blowing that I seriously consider the price of the WHOLE boxset worth it just for that show" Exactly how I felt about the Lindley Meadows 1975 show when I bought the box (although I have to admit, I was pretty stoked for '68 / '69 at the Greek and Dream Bowl). But yeah, I really do love that 1975 performance. Something weird was going on with their sound (I heard they had someone else's amps / rig due to their shit blowing up); but it sounded tremendous. The tone of it all sounds more like 1971 than 11 months post Wall Of Sound. Jerry's guitar is so distorted and fuzzy and loud - truly a one of a kind show recording. My only regret is that Franklin's Tower was separated from Help / Slipknot! but that's what home PC computer editing software is for. On my digital copy, the three are nicely married. I guess I'm also a little sad they didn't play longer, and maybe throw in an Eyes of the World, but we're fine, everything's fine here.. now...how are you? Sixtus, yeah lol, that's exactly how it looks. Then if you're not lucky enough to catch it and you get a roller, that 2 or 3 seconds when you don't know if it will land playing-surface up or down feels like an eternity. We've all done it right?
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

"Hope everyone out there is doing something right this minute that makes them happy. " In AG Jeff Sessions' view I'm doing something wrong this minute and it makes me very happy.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

There is a uniqueness that comes with the songs not being together. Please don’t tell me you rearranged 10-9-76 too. As for CD-R backups, the first time I listened to Road Trips 74 Wall of Sound I dropped one of the CDs taking it out of the player and scratched it. I then made the decision to make CD-R copies of all the releases and store the originals.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

so good. I remember hearing it the way home from 7/19/87. it glowed. ;)
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

http://www.dead.net/features/jam-week/january-19-january-25-2018?intcmp… Fillmore Auditorium 11/7/69 Dark Star -> Uncle John’s Band Jam -> Dark Star -> That’s It For The Other One -> Turn On Your Lovelight The whole show is available at the midnight cafe. https://themidnightcafe.org/2016/02/11/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… Grateful Dead November 7, 1969 Fillmore Auditorium San Francisco, CA Download: FLAC/MP3 Recording Info: SBD -> Master Reel -> Dat This is a tagged version of shnid: 119628 Transfer Info: Dat -> Samplitude Professional v11.2 -> FLAC (2 Discs Audio / 1 DVD FLAC) All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller charliemiller87@earthlink.net March 27, 2012 Notes: — Disc change is seamless — There are reel flips in High Time and UJB Jam — There are no pauses, cuts or edits between songs — iZotope Ozone was used to de-click the Master Reels –Setlist– 101-d1t01 – Morning Dew 102-d1t02 – Hard To Handle 103-d1t03 – Casey Jones 104-d1t04 – Mama Tried 105-d1t05 – Me & My Uncle 106-d1t06 – Tuning Ditties 107-d1t07 – Cold Rain & Snow 108-d1t08 – Next Time You See Me 109-d1t09 – High Time 110-d1t10 – Good Lovin’ 111-d1t11 – China Cat Sunflower -> 112-d1t12 – I Know You Rider 113-d2t01 – Dark Star -> 114-d2t02 – Uncle John’s Band Jam -> 115-d2t03 – Dark Star -> 116-d2t04 – That’s It For The Other One -> 117-d2t05 – Turn On Your Lovelight Two hour and 25 minute show. Definitely deserving of a Full Norman!
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Thanks very much for posting this cool show, in such great quality. Enjoying it immediately! Immensely! Really good. Thanks to Misters Dureya and Miller. Good on ya!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks icecrmcnkd. Unforutanately, I think DP 32 is the poorest quality recording I have heard in the Dick's Picks series. So poor foe me that I decided not to buy a copy of it. It would be a treat to hear a high quality dynamic recording of one good 1982 show from Dave's Picks. Dave has much better technology to transfer and clean up these recordings than Dick had available to him.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

In my reply to someone else, I provided the same feeling as you regarding the Alpine 1982 Dicks Picks. I agree that all years have good shows. I own shows from many different years and really love them. To me the performances in many of the 1982 shows are tremendous and many of my favorites. I'm curious how many deadheads have heard the 1982 shows because there have been almost no high-quality releases from that year?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

In my reply to someone else, I provided the same feeling as you regarding the Alpine 1982 Dicks Picks. I agree that all years have good shows. I own shows from many different years and really love them. To me the performances in many of the 1982 shows are tremendous and many of my favorites. I'm curious how many deadheads have heard the 1982 shows because there have been almost no high-quality releases from that year?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks for the reply claney. I played the shit out of my April 6 1982 Philly show back in the 1980s and 1990s. I know I have mulitple tape copies of that show so that I had a back=up in case the tape broke. Years ago, the Road Trips 4.4 CD sold out before I bought a copy. Currently, the digital download is not available. Garcia later
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....sounds pretty good to me. In fact, a lot of my tapes still sound good (except when it's in Dolby. Not a fan). I guess not being so picky is an advantage at times. Just Play Dead....
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

What a scam.. I think Dolby even flucks up the remastering process. But what do I know.. except that dolby mucked up lots of what would have been great audience tapes (and perhaps a few soundboards). I bet it works just fine if all the equipment used through every step of the process is perfectly encoded using the exact same version of Dolby.. but so many years later, what are the chances that something is poorly labeled and some machine uses the wrong Dolby version (or none at all when it should have been used). Keep it simple.. right? The tapes I had that were recorded using dolby usually did not sound great by the time they got to me. On the bright side, bad dolby usage gave us the chipmunks. I am a fan of the good shows from 82. I think its an under-rated year and the inconsistency of the recording quality decades later is a big part of the perception mismatch. It was perhaps the last year Jerry's voice, on a good night, sounded 'fresh' or young. Frost, Alpine, so many others.. in total.. it was a mighty fine year.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Many new Miller/Clugston/Gans/Eaton’s uploaded to entree in the last 3 days.My dedicated torrent computer will be working hard while I sleep.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Yeah, it's sourced from cassette, but i think DiP 24 is worse. Prolly the only one in the series that i think should not have been retail released. The performance is sub-par too, imho. Not every swing can be a home run...or a base hit in some cases. I can envision a day when some DiPs get re-released with the Full Norman treatment and/or properly bias & speed corrected. But not a high priority. Def a back burner until all the amazing returned Bettys get out, of course!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks for the reply claney. I played the shit out of my April 6 1982 Philly show back in the 1980s and 1990s. I know I have mulitple tape copies of that show so that I had a back=up in case the tape broke. Years ago, the Road Trips 4.4 CD sold out before I bought a copy. Currently, the digital download is not available. Garcia later
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....you can do better than that. How about, "not every release can be a hat trick." More our style, right? Go Golden Knights....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks for the info Liberty. I lost the comment I was going to post and inadvertently reposted a previous comment. Sorry, I could not find 10-10-82 on archive.org. So I am playing 10-9-82 Frost show. I had this tape somewhere... I love Throwing Stones. Really enjoying it. Not sure I have heard this on any Dave's releases? Have not heard it in very long time...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks for the info Liberty. I lost the comment I was going to post and inadvertently reposted a previous comment. Sorry, I could not find 10-10-82 on archive.org. So I am playing 10-9-82 Frost show. I had this tape somewhere... I love Throwing Stones. Really enjoying it. Not sure I have heard this on any Dave's releases? Have not heard it in very long time...
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....no complaints here. Solid. They ended the first set with China->Rider quite a bit that year. I'm a fan of that. Caddyshack is almost the perfect movie. I don't know where that came from.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Wow! They released someting that sounds worse than DP 32?!LOL. Seems Dick had good memories of that show and was maybe more concerned about perfomance regardless of the recording quality. There are probably 2000+ recordings to pick from. Because the selection is overwhelming, I assume he was just anxious to release the best tape out of a few of tapes he pulled from the vault each time, but I ti=hink he was still searching for particular shows that he had fond memories of. Who was the recording engineer in 1982? Dan Healy?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Where did you stream 10-10-82 frost from? I could not find it. I recommend listening to 10-9-82 Frost. Listening to it now. really enjoying "Throwing Stones" and "Space"!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Caddyshack is my of my favorite movies? I'll take some of those naked-lady tees...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks for info mbarilla. Check out the Greek Theatre 5-22-82. Phenomonal song selection, guitar playing and sound by Jerry on this recording. Very upbeat tempo. One of my fav tapes ever!!. Wish this was Dave pick 26!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

You are right. The only way dolby worked right was for the same machine to be used in recording and playback. Early on I went to an independent dbx nr machine found it worked a lot better
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

I have mentioned this before but while it may well be sentiment creeping in I saw every bay area show from late 70's 'til the end and there was something special about the greek shows and the tapes I have seem to bare this out. The 84 ones if memories are correct (It's been a while the downside of so many releases haha) were especially fine
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Thanks for the good discussion on the returned tapes. Got me thinking about DaP16 and DaP21. Didn't Dave say they considered releasing 4/2/73 earlier but for one reason or another it didn't happen? I seem to recall that it was considered for release instead of 3/28/73 (maybe even earlier)? I went back to the seaside chat for DaP21 and it wasn't mentioned there. Maybe I caught it on Sirius around release date? I thought the tipping point for 3/28 over 4/2 was the Dark Star. I guess I'm brining this up to get a feel for when the tapes (at least some of them) started rolling back. DaP16 was released on Nov 1, 2015. So if that tape wasn't in the Vault then it would have been returned closer to summer 2015 (or earlier). I'm having a hard time putting my finger on some of these details (haven't gone back to the liner notes yet), but if memory serves 4/2 was also highly regarded by Dick and he mentioned several of the tunes (particularly in the first set) were definitive versions for the year/era. Dick certainly could have been listening to non-Vault soundboards, but are we sure that 4/2/73 hasn't been in the Vault for a while? To my ears the sound quality of DaP21 is better (slightly) than DaP16. Regardless, it's pretty awesome that we have such high quality shows available with great sound quality. Dave and Co are doing a great job; thank you! And would love to see 8/7/1972 and 8/12/1972 released. Edit: I meant 7/18/1972 not 8/7/1972. Oops. Roosevelt Rules!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

"they considered releasing 4/2/73 earlier but for one reason or another it didn't happen.." Couldn't one of the reasons be that the masters were not in the vault (but the performance was certainly release worthy)? Also, I seem to recall some of these getting released perhaps before they had the masters in the vault. Maybe I am wrong.. For instance, what about Dave's Picks 14? But there is an older one where conversations evolved about the origin of the source file used for release. Again, perhaps I have this wrong.. but this topic has come up. Perhaps someone out there has a better memory than I.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Dave's 21 was definitely part of the returned tapes, Dave's 16 was not, one big distinction between them is that Kidd Candelario recorded 3/28, and Rex Jackson recorded 4/2 (on 10" reels, this being the firsttime I recall seeing a mention of a show recorded on 10" instead of 7" reels). Kidd may have been recording 4/2 as well, and Betty and/or Rex may have been recording as well. From what Dave has said on Kidd's role in recording, I believe most of his tapes were in the Vault as he was recording the shows for the band, where the Jacksons may have recorded some for the band, some for themselves. We know Betty did her own recordings, but that she also worked for the band on recordings, so some of her tapes aren't the reference tapes the band would have used. But this brings me to the most fascinating part of the whole ABCD/returned "Bettys" discussion: Dave's 24 was recorded by Bear, not Betty or Rex, yet was also part of the ABCD collection, and already we have nearly 3 Rex recordings as part of that collection Dave's 21, 22 and bonus, and 2 more are likely to be Rex recordings in Dave's 26 and bonus. Why Rex tapes are in the collection makes perfect sense as he was married to Betty. But why did she have a Bear tape? And did she have more of his tapes in her collection that was returned with the ABCD deal? They were astonished to get over 100 shows returned, the list of Bettys that circulated in the "What Happened to the Bettys" article wasn't nearly that many shows, so clearly they got shows they didn't expect because there are times she was known to have recorded and times she was known not to have recorded, but if you add in Rex tapes when she wasn't on tour, you get Fall 1971, Spring 1973 tapes popping up. Now add in the wildcard of what kind of Bear tapes did she have?! The guys clamoring for more 80s and 90s will be pissed at the possible treasures that will necessitate pushing 80s and 90s Picks down the road to put out legendary shows or under the radar gems that never attained a reputation due to lack of circulation. I think the compromise will be a small 80s box each year while these Bettys, Rexes, and Bears are used for Picks. I think that's a great compromise, because then the 80s and 90s choices can be multitrack and more listenable than a PA mix.
product sku