• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

from tying Ray Manzarek to the railroad tracks, where Little Nell will keep him company until the 4:10 from Yuma passes through... heh heh heh. "Pig, no Pig"? The plot thickens. Or Bolo just dropped a hambone into the chile con carne. First, bacon, then what? Tofu? That'd be the difference between 1971 and 1976. Gotta believe, based on 18+ months of uninterrupted ABCD Enterprises-related releases, that such a credit will roll again in the 2018 box, so that "narrows it down" to 1971-1980, right? We may well have covered the 2-3 strongest possibilities -- Pig-centric box from the sweet spot years, Summer '73 for reasons previously stated, or Spring '73 on the Pig-No Pig "clue." If we've nailed it somehow, Bolo's visits to the forum now are solely intended to turn on the fog machine and roil the speculation. Which is a job he seems to relish, and, he's damn good at it...
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I thought it made more sense as sort of Remembering Pig or equiv.. Yes.. nice call 4(20)wb.
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

So a long-tail Bolo clue that first plants Pig, then no Pig, and we may have a wiener: March '73, three nights? If it ain't Pigpen himself, it bett-uh be '73. Or Ray Manzarek and Little Nell are going to pieces...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

My very first show. NRPS opened. Great, great memories of my first exposure to what IT was all about. I would love to see a Spring ‘73 release as a box. Bring it on Dave! Rock on
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Ok, I give up! What is making that bass like sound in that recording? The keyboard guy is great, guitar man is great, but I've never like what he plays (more or less),,, sometimes people with incredible skill can bore the shit out of me with their technical proficiency. Also, the Partridge family had Shirley Jones, who looked damn good to this 13 year old back then.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Dennis: It's the B-3! It is all in the foot pedals:
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I didn't realize that guy was playing a B3, went back and watched more of the video and yes I saw the pedals. The pedal demo was nice. I always thought if you could play one thing, make it the organ. You can be a one man band. I knew an old woman years ago who played a B3, had top of line in her house with a leslie cabinet. Said her dead husband got it for her a a wedding gift! (maybe her playing was such, that the husband wasn't dead, just hiding!) Anyway, she had tickets for a organ demo one time that she couldn't attend and gave me the tickets. This guy was the "company" rep for the organ he was hawking and went all over showing what "their" organ could do. (is that a zappa line?) This thing was very electric/computer driven. He could make any instrument sound, the organ itself would play lines for you, like setting up a drum sequence or a guitar/horn section. And of course the guy was a MASTER of his instrument. I was shocked recently when I looked up the price of a B3,,, they seem to be around 50K! Guess I will not be getting one this Christmas :-( (hell they're pricey enough that Jeff Chimenti had to borrow Brent's unit :-)) (borrowing Brent's unit,,,, is that a zappa line also?)
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Brent's B3 is not on loan...it was gifted to Jeff from the band...think about the level of that endorsement of talent and humanity! They also share a birthday...and came from Bobby's band originally...Weir'd... Edit: Don't know source of that but I remember I read the gifting in an article many moons ago...if I'm wrong, it's not the first time...and it seems to happen more with every passing decade! :) I believe, he's been playing it since '98 or so with Ratdog.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Wowwie.. 50k, that's like two or three upcoming box sets and Dave's Picks subscriptions here at dead.net. I think I would like to borrow Brent's as well. It's a good thing I have a truck and know the combo to their digs at Club Front. Sorry Jeff... but I'm not forgoing the next few box sets.. besides, I think that's what Brent always wanted.. for me to learn how to play the B3. Edit: Looks like my post contradicts direwulf's. I stand behind my words, it's what Brent always wanted. ..but man, Jeff can really make that thing sing. Perhaps I will have second thoughts.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

The Tommy track is great. Doesn't sound like a mix. You somehow blended the crowd noise in with the music just exactly perfect. Volume is very consistent from song to song too. Are these all from the Tommy tour? They're clearly all Moon, but I'm curious if they span the entire 70s.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Minus, the breakdown is as follows (these are all official / engineered / produced releases): Overature - Live at Leeds It's a Boy - Live at Leeds 1921 - Live at Leeds Amazing Journey - Live at Leeds Jam (starts at 11:30) - Isle of Wight 1970 2nd Jam into Sparks(crossfades in at 13:35) - Woodstock (taken from 30 Years Maximum R&B) The Acid Queen - Isle of Wight 1970 Pinball Wizard - Woodstock (taken from The Kids Are Alright) Go To The Mirror - Isle of Wight 1970 Smash The Mirror - Isle of Wight 1970 I'm Free - Live at Leeds Sally Simpson - Live at Leeds We're Not Gonna Take It - Isle of Wight 1970 See Me Feel Me - Woodstock (Taken from The Kids Are Alright) Woodstock was August '69, Leeds was February '70, and Wight was August '70. There wasn't a Tommy Tour per se. There were several European and US Tours in 1969 / 1970 where Tommy was gradually worked into the set lists. The first near-complete performance was early '69, maybe March; the last near-complete performance was September '70. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gvnDVUzNQyjrs9XpNzKqkhGazTbb9cJI
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Here is another great example of competent bass playing from the B-3: Tune in at the 7:00 minute mark or so for the "bass" solo!
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Wadeocu - thanks for posting that. I had never really seen a full B3 with the footpedals (that I recall) until 3 months ago when I started seeing the B3 Kings in Boston on a regular basis. The guy recentlydid a two-footed bass solo.... was funny to watch him chugging away like he was on an exercise bike, hands free. Bostonians - B3 Kings will be doing a bass-less (B3 player plays bass with feet/left hand) show in Needham tomorrow (Thurs) night at Three Squares restaurant 7-10pm. In the below video of this band, you can clearly see organist playing bass notes with his left hand at the end of the keyboard on this song - I've seen him play bass melody with left hand while thumping the root note on the footpedals: https://youtu.be/1bwu3skpB48
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

That beer on his B-3 makes me nervous though in light of Dennis' revelation on what one costs!
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Is it possible to play the "lead" guitar, ie. guitar solos while singing? I've been wondering, did Bobby and Jerry switch off on who played the solos when Jerry was singing? If so was it for the whole song, or just immediately while Jerry was singing and then back to the usual roles?
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Let's get back to the Grateful Dead's Dave's Picks 26.The remainder of the limited edition of DaP 26 goes on sale Monday 16 April 2018 @ 10:00 AM Pacific Time. It will sell out fast, I guessing about 48 minutes or less. If I recall correctly (and it's probably on this long thread) DaP 25 sold out in about 48 minutes. With the promotional email DaP 26 announcing this "event" it could sell out in about 30 minutes or less. This "event" could crash the system similar to 2017's Get Shown The Light box disaster. But that got fixed and this "event" could another test to see if preventative measures work. The bonus disc WILL NOT be included in this sale, as it was only for the 2018 Dave's Picks subscription.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Right.. I hope it was a very expensive, small batch craft beer or a Chimay or something.. If you're going to risk a $50k organ slugging down some beer, the grains had better be stomped on by foot by hippie monks in Belgium and hopefully blessed by the pope himself. If you act quick.. I found what appears to be a steal on a new B3, only $26k. While supplies last :D (I ordered three). http://www.b3guys.com/Hammond+B-3+mk2+Organ+and+Hammond+C-3+mk2+Organ.h… I think what makes these expensive is the cabinets with the rotating, Leslie speakers that I believe are powered by individual tube amps. Brent's standard setup had ten wonderfully modified Leslie speakers.. What a powerhouse.. For the full effect, I recommend listening to the Gimme Some Lovin' from 11/1/85 turned up to 11 (starts about 2:08 in) or just crank up Dicks Picks 21. Phil, "LOVE YAA!!" Trouble Ahead, Jerry in Red.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Wadeocu - Yes, the beer on top surprised me too - always does. Last time I saw them the bass players headstock was floating 4 inches from his beer - we couldn't stop watching the headstock! :0 Jim - The guy told me the keyboard console AND the leslie cabinet have 6-8 tubes EACH, thus the warm tone. I thought he said you could get a decent used B3 for $5,000 but perhaps I misheard him? Prices are high because these are very large, heavy items with TONS of hand-wired point-to-point connections. The guy showed me the inside of his organ and it was a spaghetti maze of tubes and wires. A simple hand-wired guitar amp is $1,500~ so a price tag well above $5,000 seems reasonable, actually. The guy also told me he has three (3!) of these Hammond B3's! (His backup one night said the same thing!). One in his practice space, one in the gig-van/garage, and the one in the shop, because they're often in for regular tune-ups, blown tubes, buzzing, humming, etc. How do musicians afford this stuff?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Wondering if 11/17/71 is from returned Betty boards. I'm thinking that the two Ann Arbor shows should have been packaged together for this one, instead of soley as bonus material.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

To these ears, Gregg Allman and Jon Lord were two of the best on the organ. Stevie Ray Vaughan was known for running his guitar amplifier through a rotating Leslie cabinet for those churning organ-like sounds. Current listen: Go To Nassau, 5/15 - 16, 1980. Garcia full of energy and Brent being new was great on keys and not overbearing vocally. I know it's a composite and the purists will winge, but what a great album.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

The only source for 11-17 is a SBD>FM>MC>C>D>CD so it looks like it is a returned Betty Board. This will be a huge upgrade.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I believe the answer is yes.. these are returned tapes. The reason I think so is that Dave mentioned they are a substantial improvement in sound quality to those that previously circulated. A toast to the best of times to be a fan of the GD.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

A tip of the glass to Melvin Seals too. The guy loved his gospel music and could play the hell out of his B3. When he achieved lift off, true religion was free for the taking... Sorry 4winds.. looks like we had the same answer at about the same time to space's question.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Did Dave ever say how much of 12-14 will be included with the release of 11-17 because 11-17 looks like it's only two disc show.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....tonight is game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Vegas Golden Knights vs the LA Queens. GO KNIGHTS GO!!! that is all....
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Both shows in their entirety, if you have the Bonus Disc. https://www.jambase.com/article/daves-picks-vol-26-features-two-gratefu… I think Road Trips 11-15-71 is the best sounding 2 track release from the pre-hiatus years. I'm hoping 11-17 is the same (12-6 & 12-7 weren't quite there). Listened to some 4-11-72 to commemorate. Also got in some triple Bird Song 8/25, 8/27, & 9/24, 1972. Sunshine Daydream is soooo good. Then I hit up that 30 Trips 1972 Dark Star that heads into China Cat - great fidelity on that release. We're talking high volume car ride listening....
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Hey vGuy- Enjoy your Vegas Trojan Knights. Sorry but that logo reminds me of you know what. Nothing like the Stanley Cup Playoffs. My Rangers are not in the tournament for the first time in 8 years but I’ll be watching. Sound will be off as I resume my E72 anniversary trip. Tonight is 4/11 Newcastle.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

are the balls. My Red Wings are out, so I am jumping on the Winnipeg train this year. Sorry vguy.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Just a quick share ladies and Gentlemen...if any member here has” The Big Box/boxzilla/ 30 trips around the sun boxset, flip the side panels doors open and read what the art production/band and ect. choose to Engrave / quote in that release! ;) ...... :0 ...I’m not trying to start another 120 post of the doors, ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

What a fantastic release which proves that Jerry's best years were not over. The Jack Straw has the band playing it like they were a Metal Band. Fast. Furious. They all come together for the climatic chorus "Jack S from Wichita cut his buddy down!" They all hit the mark with a big crescendo and Jerry's playing just prior is as good as it get! Awesome stuff. The Doors.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I remember it now set 2 is included with Dap and set 1 is the bonus disc If I'm remembering correctly.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Makes sense to release it then. Thanks. Dave will probably explain in the next Seaside Chat in a few days. Uncirculated upgrades of shows are always welcome.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....Jerry Garcia impersonating Dave Mustaine. Golden Knights shut out the queens. Onward!!Break On Through....
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

4-12-71 from the Pittsburgh Civic Arena. In honor of the two time defending champion Penguins, who took care of business against that other team from Pennsylvania. I'm rooting for a Vegas / Pittsburgh final, so we can see a reunion with Marc-Andre Fleury. As a longtime Penguins fan, I've seen plenty of Fleury's handiwork in the playoffs so I like our chances :) Also really excited for a new Record Store Day release. Its a 7" single, A side is an obscure Ray Manzarek track titled "Mr. Pig Pen was a BIG Meanie Who Wouldn't Let Me Play With His Toys." B side is an experimental instrumental track from Jerry "Mr. Jim Morrison Was a Pretentious Drunken Lout But He Looked Way Better Than Me in Leather Pants." I pre-ordered a copy. 4-12-71 from the Pittsburgh Civic Arena. If anyone needs a copy, I know a Good Doctor.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

It's great to see these two gems finally get released. I'm all in. It's solidly Penguin country here.. I will have to give 4/12/71 a spin. Performed in the Civic Arena, which was flattened in 2010 and is now a parking lot. It was known as "The House Lemieux Built." Pittsburgh was home to many good shows.. perhaps the best venue the Dead played there was the Stanley Theatre (now the Benedum Center). A great place to see a show.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Oh how I dislike Crosby. A whiner indeed, but what a talent. the Civic Center was also known as the Igloo. Game of the night was the Knights and the Kings. Good for you Vguy. But that rock em, sock em pace is exhausting to watch, let alone play. They must all be in a tub or bed of ice at this very moment. I'll have to pick up that RSD 7" with Pig on A & Jim in leather on B side. I fell behind on my E72 homework. Blame it on the NHL & the kids. Hope to finish the 4/11 Newcastle tonight. But then again 5 games on ice are scheduled....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Not a fan of Sid.2010 Olympics he scored the gold medal winning goal in overtime. But I despised him before that. (But yes, he’s a good player). RogueDeadGuy, thought you lived in Michigan? And you like the Penguins? That’s treason. Angry Jack Straw, didn’t know you were a Red Wings fan. Unfortunately, for the second year in a row the Wings were more interested in playing golf in April than playing hockey. So who do I root for? Will have to think about that, but maybe the Thrashers (who used to suck when they went by that name).
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Don't forget Jimmy Smith. I thought he was the man who brought the B3 to the forefront of the jazz world in the sixties. And lets not forget Andy DeVito. WHO??? See you forgot. I grew up in roller skating rinks, in my family if you didn't skate you got kicked out. ( I think a have a brother or two out there I never met!) In their hayday roller rinks had organ players who played live music while you skated. Our man was Andy DeVito and his whirling Wurlitzer. The organ player can control the speed of the skate floor. As a kid I'd be spinning around the floor in time to organ, the speakers were spaced out on the ceiling so sound would spin with you while the colored lights could hypnotize. (there's a good line for a song, eh?) Where I learn music, motion and color. Other large instruments - anyone ever read Phillip Roth's, "I Married a Communist"? In this book one of the characters has a harp. Another character talks about the harp and how all these girls learned to play the harp because their mothers thought it looked so lady like. Only the damn things weighed a ton and were a pain to move and they were ALWAYS out of tune because of being moved. Brent and the B3 - I don't think I ever heard brent really walk the pedals as a bass line because they had phil. I thought maybe pedals were used just to add dark texture to the mix. (dark texture,,, is that like heavy air?)
product sku