• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…
    I like the Summer '73 box 100%. That includes 6/9-10 and much more. Expensive. My current personal pick would be "The Ark, Boston Massachusetts, April 1969 - The Complete Recordings" box. Not quite as expensive, probably about 1/2 to 2/3 the amount that the Summer '73 box would be. Who knows what's about to happen, but I'd be and very grateful for almost anything. -------------- "The Reveal: Not too long ago, Dave Lemieux, Mark Pinkus, Steve Vance, ______________ (Bolo24), and myself were in the lobby of 3400 W. Olive Avenue chatting about frivolous matters and then Bolo24 let some flatulence out and we all coughed and gagged, then Mr. Pinkus exclaimed, That's it! That's our Grateful Dead box set offering for 2018! Thank you, _____________ for the great idea!" "14"
  • Vguy72
    ....count me in that group.
  • Terrapin Moon
    so were people losing their minds n shit over One From the Vault when it came out cuz it was a whole show?
  • Gollum
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjtvSABQ3Q
  • Vguy72
    ....before the Dead, before The Doors, before The Who, before The Floyd, in my life, The Beatles popped my musical appreciation cherry. Twelve year old me would drool over this back in 1980https://youtu.be/iVkUC5yURjI Woodchuck, woodchuck, woodchuck....
  • Vguy72
    ....not sure if that means anything. If you need me, I'll be in my lab performing algorithms....
  • JimInMD
    One would think, but who knows for sure... Announcement in the Spring, delivery in the Fall?? They get cash up front and it doesn't trip all over the holidays, etc. The one thing that makes me think yes.. is seven, no fourteen and the appearance and disappearance of our favorite clown operative Bolo. I have no idea what his clues mean though... 14? Vermont was the fourteenth state: 05/06/78- Patrick Field House (University Of Vermont) - Burlington, VT 04/13/83- Patrick Field House (University Of Vermont) - Burlington, VT 07/13/94- Franklin County Airport - Highgate, VT 06/15/95- Franklin Field - Highgate, VT But I don't see them tossing us another 1978 now.. although Highgate, combined with the venues starting with B (Boreal Ridge) might make me a little nauseous.
  • simonrob
    ...if there is a box set coming soon?
  • snafu
    Default Avatar
    Nowhere except to the people that live there. The 2nd year I ordered Dave's from a sat phone hookup on the Thai-Burma border. Just stay out of Red China the gov't isn't a fan of Jerry
  • mbarilla
    Gah gah gah Gotta have more monitors Boss
    ~ 12.31.69 ~ "Next time you see me, things won't be the same" Rhino ~ 4.14.84 ~ ~ 4.15.83 ~
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Yes, that one has me miffed too. I did poke around and asked Lemieux a series of questions about the contents of the returned reels to which he responded. I specifically asked him if any of the tapes returned were complete surprises, meaning.. new shows or parts of shows that had not circulated with setlists unknown. He was a bit guarded, but answered the question.. he said no, not much new information but many sound much better than anything that circulates. Again, I don't think he revealed anything new nor would he to some random guy who sent him an email.. and a couple releases later we got Dave's Picks 24 where the final part of the second was completely unknown.. but still it's all very interesting. The last thing he said was some of the older tapes, 71 and 72 sound significantly better than what circulates. Which brings us to Dave's Picks 25 :D
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Excellent conversation. For those clamoring for more 80s and 90s who have NOT read earlier threads that include Dave's comments on 80s tapes, there is another reason: the kick drum. I would never have guessed that a prominent kick drum could be so annoying, but Dave is right. On many of these 80s recordings - especially the "pre-coma" shows - the kick drum is prominent in the mix on the existing tapes. Of course you won't hear it at all in a boomy audience tape, which may be part of the reason that '81 show got released as a matrix. The Frost shows are great recommendations for listeners of 80s era, and I'm glad to see 10/9 getting some love. I've always seen 10/10 get all the accolades, but I much prefer 10/9 for what feel like near-definitive versions of Alabama>Greatest Story, West L.A., and Throwing Stones> Touch of Grey.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

The first time I really noticed the "kick drum problem" was on the 30 trips Worcester 10/21/83 show. Dang, its really prominent all through that show. After a first listen, I didn't think I'd ever be able to enjoy the show. But lately I've been listening to it a lot and have learned to pretty much ignore the kick drum and enjoy the music. That's a great jammy second set. Weir's playing is particularly great/weird. He must have been in a weird mood, even by his own standards!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

listening to disc 1 of 5/5/90 got through the first part of Franklin's. like a brontosaurus that got into the sleeping pills or something. Race Is On: very cool. other than that...c'mon, wake up guys!!! I'll listen to the rest eventually; they must pull themselves "out of the oxygen tent" at some point. Young girl, they call them the Grateful Dead. No matter what, the only band that _truly_ matters.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

I think BG's line sums them up a lot better than applying the Clash's line to them
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

The Frost shows while also bathed in beauty never had the same emergy as tje Greek
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

All of the talk about eras and such brought up some memories for me about the tapes I had back when that was the way everyone got to hear shows. In getting those tapes, I had collected a variety of shows from many eras, but most were from the 60s and 70s. I was told by other seasoned heads at the time that although they loved the Grateful Dead the best shows were from “back in the day”. I discovered early on that “back in the day” meant different things to different people. In any case my listening habits were shaped by the tapes I got. So I will say that I may have been one to listen to select eras as a result of this for quite some time. Fast forward to the present and I feel like I have expanded my horizons as I have done more listening homework. However even with that there is so much I don’t know. For example, I really never delved into 1982 shows. I recently acquired the Road Trips from 4/6/82, and that is a tremendous release. Earlier on in the comments many referenced several 1982 shows that I had never heard (Frost 10/10 was one and a Greek show 5/23, I believe was another). Well while at work, I jumped on the archive and found them, played them, loved them. Conversely, several have mentioned shows from 1972- 7/26 & 8/12. Now I felt like I had a way better handle on 1972, but I listened to those as well. Great stuff of course and again I discovered something new. My point from this is that I ma not really sure how exactly to define Grateful Dead eras, but when someone on these pages recommends a show or shows I check them out, regardless of era or year. Just important when it comes to releases, I only have 3 pieces of criteria: good show, good sound quality, and hopefully it is a complete show if possible. This also reminds me of the discussions that were had when the Rocking the Cradle was released. One of the arguments against its release was that although the venue of the Pyramids and Giza was about as cool as it could be, the playing was not up to par. I am not intending to stir a debate but simply that even for then, this was not a show that was widely desired for release while others were desired and also in the vault. So as we wait on the box set announcement and the eventual Dave’s 27 and 28, I just hope that they continue to be good shows in good sound quality. I do know that a good show is subjective not only to the listener but also to the time frame (or era). Still as long the releases meet the criteria I think we are all going to be better off as there is so much more great music by this band left to be released. I am enjoying the ride for sure.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Thanks, alvarhanso and Jim, I guess I totally overlooked the fact that there could be more than one SBD recording of a show. That's a bit of a mind bender. Not sure why that never occurred to me be before. I guess I always heard moans about how expensive the tape was so I just figured it was a one-shot deal. As a side note, anybody know of any "authoritative" list for who recorded what shows for the GOGD? I've looked in Deadbase but the thing is like a million pages and it may have gone unnoticed. Regarding the Bear recording(s), I agree that's a bit of a head scratcher. I guess they wouldn't necessarily have come from the Betty Boxes. Mountain Girl had some stuff that was returned too so perhaps it was tied up in there? I do agree that the stuff from Rex likely was likely part of Betty's stash. There's probably some more scholarships to do around ABCD Enterprises (I admittedly know very little about this). It might be a catch-all for all of the returned boards from various sources. There are four letters... And the posters are inspiring me to check out those Frost and Greek shows. Those are officially on the todo list...
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

http://goodtimes.sc/cover-stories/500-grateful-dead-shows/ Local comic DNA reflects on his years spent following the Dead BYDNAPOSTED ON JANUARY 2, 2018 On a Grateful Dead tour, you met the best people on Earth. People from all walks of life were drawn to shows like Richard Dreyfus was drawn to the Devil’s Tower in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. But there were also narcs, feds, drug addicts, clinically insane misfits and jerks. There was a series of “religious” groups, like the Golden Roaders, selling backless dresses and Sufi spinning at shows. Then there were the Moonies, although I only saw them at shows in the Northeast, who were aggressive and deceptive, selling lame stickers and incense. The Krishnas gave out free rice, but they also played their freaking tambourines and drums at sunrise to greet the day! Not a good group to camp next to. From Scientologists to evangelical Christians to mini-messiahs that paraded around in full regalia (mostly a robe, a loin cloth and a conch full of burning sage) there was no shortage of wackadoodles to join up with or be abducted by. I know that I and hundreds (or at least dozens) of other Deadheads took it upon ourselves to be the ones to “look out” for the weaker ones as the scene grew exponentially and then collapsed upon itself. I am grateful for my time in that world and recently I reflected on that journey. At least the parts I could remember.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....that there are recordings at all. The Dead are head and shoulders, king of the hill leaders of the audio documentation of their career, as it should be. That didn't happen by chance. The Women (and men) are indeed smarter....I talk to younger (sic) people and try and lure them in with that fact. A sad few pass it off as idolism. But most respond with a "that's cool as shit!" And the seed is sown. I'm responsible for getting at least eight people in my lifetime to jump onto the bus. Get some!!!....I hung out with some Hari Krishnas during the Cal-State Dominguez Hills shows in '90. They love their rice. I did too. Even shook a tambourine for an hour or so. No regrets....it's not easy making good rice
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

There’s a few of them in the movie Tie-Dyed. And they’re not even the most extreme. Yeah, those were good times......really miss them. D&C is not even a faint approximation of what it was like. FTW had really good vibes, but still.... THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A GRATEFUL DEAD CONCERT!!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

jackstrawberry - not sure if you are aware, but the Road Trips series is being re-released on CD by Real Gone Music starting with the last releases first. So far Vol. 4 #5 Boston Music Hall 6/9/76 and Vol. 4 #4, Philadelphia, Spectrum 4/6/82 are available and Vol. 4 #3, Denver '73 will be available on February 2. I missed a few of the Road Trips and am looking forward to picking them up for a decent price. Given the weak packaging on the Road Trips series I am considering picking up another copy of some that I already have. They are available on ebay and Amazon for between $40-$50 each. I am particularly eager to pick up the 5/15/70 show on Vol. 3 #3.
user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Road trips is vast and awesome. I believe, officially it's like 15 volumes. For anyone not minding iTunes downloads, the whole set is available for around $250. I certainly purchase music from apple, amazon, and dead.net, however I try to spread it around. The annual Record Store Day is a great way to bring awareness to your local record shop. There aren't nearly as many as there used to be. The experience of walking into a store and browsing product can be enjoyable, and if you make a purchase you take possession immediately not having to wait on the mails. Currently playing: a magnificent "The Eleven," Dick's Picks #26, 4/26/69 Minneapolis.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Currently listening to Sticks by Chris Joss - mostly instrumental, cool grooves, discovered when it was background music in Better Call Saul when Mike scoped out the Kettlemens. Last 5 - Grateful Dead - 2/22/69 Dream Bowl show from 30TATS, Jerry Garcia - Reflections, Jerry Garcia - Compliments, Supreme Beings Of Leisure - Supreme Beings of Leisure, Allman Brothers Band - The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I was surprised someone mentioned this show shouldn't have been released due to poor audio. It sounds the same to me as all of the Dick's Picks era '74 WOS shows (DP 7, DP 12, DP 31). Road Trips WOS 1974 sounds a little better, but DaP 2 is right back to the lower quality. I think DaP 13 and DaP 17 sound a bit better (but technically DaP 13 is not WOS, and wasn't subject to the recording pitfalls incumbent with the Wall recording rig). Anyway, I just put DP 24 on, and it's not bad. Trust me on one thing, I did NOT like 1974 for many years, because of the generally poor audio quality, but I forced myself to listen, and eventually I became used to it. The show from DP 24 (Cow Palace) has a great set list, and that classic Playing in the Band UJB Morning Dew sandwich. Plus if you turn up the 4K band on the EQ during Scarlet Begonias Jerry's guitar sounds like Keith Richard in open D tuning. Looking forward to DaP 25. I hope this bass thing isn't as prominent as on 24. I hate to say it, but it ruined the release for me. Sorry Mr. Norman, you have my deepest respect and appreciation for your body of work, I just hear too much artificial bass tones at Berkeley. I'm not crazy about the art work. Too much red, and even I'm tiring if the skeletons. Why not have dancing bears on this one instead? Last 5: Dick's Picks 16 Dave's Picks 22 May 1977 4th Show 5/15/77 July 1978 4th Show 7/7/78 Crimson White & Indigo 7/7/89 (this is hands down the best show from 89/90). Now I have on DP 24.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

It's something without a track list as best I can tell.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Until I saw the price tag, I assumed it was the next box set.. 1,200 CDs comprising the very best of the GD Live Performances.. Then I saw the price and sighed a big sigh of relief.. Looks like a Ronco Records or K-Tell best of compilation of stuff already put out on Dick's/Dave's and other vault releases.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

probably is just a comp of previously released, but there will probably be a previously UNreleased "West LA" or "Picasso Moon" in there. O r i t c o u l d b e . . . FIVETWENTYTHREEEIGHTYTWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

So when is DaP25 slated to ship? Couldn't find a date.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

No idea, but in my order status it gives 26 January as the release date. If you are lucky you will receive a mail confirming that your order has shipped. These mails normally come some time after you have received the goods.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

1) 12-31-71 It only took me to mid January to get all the way through the December 71 run. Thx Doc! We know you're still lurking:) Then I jumped into the early 1970 run which I dabbled in last year, and have determined to finish this year. Starting with 2) 1-16-70 3) 1-17-70 4) 1-18-70 Pig fans, I highly recommend this little run through Oregon. 1-16 is especially good, IMHO, my faovrite of the three nights, seemingly the longest and jammiest. Set 1 has the best Hard to Handle this side of Otis Redding. Set 2 kicks off with a fun and lively Dancin', then a great sequence of Alligator->Drums->The Eleven concluding with a bone chilling Death Don't Have No Mercy. Which brings me too 5) Springsteen Born to Run LP. Unfortunately Mrs. Deadguy and I had to say goodbye to our beloved dog, Lucky, this weekend. He was fifteen, with a nasty cancerous tumor at the base of his throat that left him barely able to breath or swallow. Back when he was a pup, he would frequently escape whenever we opened a door, and would tear off through the neighborhood, begging for us to chase him. So we decided early on that Born to Run was his theme song. Last night I put on this record, and the two of us stood in the kitchen, bawling like babies while Bruce wailed. Tramps like us . . . right Lucky? We miss ya buddy. Midnite cafe has an excellent SBD copy of 1/16/70 if anyone needs it. https://themidnightcafe.org/2017/10/02/upgrade-bonanza-grateful-dead-po… They have 1/17 too, and 1/18 is from the download series.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

I loved your first theory . . . a 1200 CD box set featuring everything worthwhile left in the vault. Seriously, Rhino, do this. We would all buy it. You could offer some special financing deals with 5 or 10 year payment plans. Call it the Dave's Retirement Plan Box.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

for years I thought this show was meh, forgettable, no worth it. Then I listened to it again last night. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. when the show is at the right speed, and on the right sound system, it is very impressive.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

https://themidnightcafe.org/2018/01/21/repost-bonanza-grateful-dead-pem… Grateful Dead 5-22-77 The Sportatorium, Pembroke Pines, FL Download: SHN/MP3 SBD>MR>C>D>CD>Toast>SHN Dick’s Picks 3 Leftovers (when combined with the material officially released in Dick’s Pick’s 3 as shown below, this provides us with the complete show): 1. El Paso 2. Peggy-O 3. New Minglewood Blues 4. Friend Of The Devil 5. Ramble on Rose 6. Brown Eyed Women 7. Good Lovin’ 8. Sugar Magnolia Complete show as follows — Leftover songs above in brackets: Set I: Funiculi Funicula tuning->The Music Never Stopped, Sugaree, [El Paso], [Peggy-O], [Minglewood Blues], [Friend Of The Devil], Lazy Lightning-> Supplication, [Ramble On Rose], Dancin’ In The Streets Set II: Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin’s Tower, Samson & Delilah, [Brown Eyed Women], [Good Lovin’], Sunrise, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Wharf Rat-> Terrapin Station-> Morning Dew, [E: Sugar Magnolia]
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Boxilla: 80 CDs, $750 price tag. $750/80 CDs = $9.375 per disc. $9.375 per disc X 1,200 discs = $11,250.00 = one expensive box set.
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

Was lucky enough to have attended Fare The Well in Chicago back in 2015. I have to say, as a veteran of 40 Grateful Dead shows, the first night in Chicago (7/3/15) was as close to the Grateful Dead experience, I have ever seen. The 2nd and third nights were kind of ho hum, but the first night captured the spirit. I'll probably see the Dead and C. thing in Albuquerque this summer. That will be enough to satiate me for the foreseeable future.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I noticed that one of the 3 things you look out for in listening to a show, is that it is as complete as possible. I can definitely relate to that...but there are some fantastic cds that do feature only portions of shows-and they are among my favourite releases. For example-Dicks Picks 2-31st October 1971-and so many fragments from 1974. The Closing of The Winterland consists of 5 brilliant cds from October 1974, another Dicks Picks has bits from 26th and 28th June 1974-and a Road Trips has bits of 16th and 18th June. All cut up-but all indispensable!
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

pretty funny VGuy! they look like wankers
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Re Daverock's comment I only want whole-show releases. There are periods that I actually prefer NOT to listen to whole shows from ('74 is one of them. '74 First Sets can't keep my attention [until PlayingITB grabs my ears at the end] and the chunks of short songs in the Second Sets irritate me after that First Set slog. The '74 chop-job releases you mentioned fit my '74 listening desires almost perfectly [and Steal Your Face compiles everything I don't want from '74 shows]. I know my '74 opinions are not typical.). Thus I do feel there are some great selections-compiled/chop-job releases. But any such releases that dropped MY preferred songs are disappointing blemishes on the GDM catalog to me. Any time a release cuts performed songs, there is a good chance the release is ruined for somebody. Full-show releases guarantee everyone getting the songs they want from that show. Full-show releases also cause three disc releases that I can't look at without thinking "drop 2 songs and this show would be half of a cool two show/four disc release, and probably some other gripes [we all have 'em], but ultimately they give the fan EVERYTHING they COULD want from that show. The show unfiltered for you to experience and modify as you desire.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

7-3-15 was awesome.My mental state was just exactly perfect for that show. It left a smoking crater of my mind.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

"There are periods that I actually prefer NOT to listen to whole shows from ('74 is one of them. " - I must say, WTF. I guess we all have our tastes. I do prefer whole show releases. Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I hope he's now running in another, better place to be. Over the years, I lost, I think, four dogs and never was easy. Perhaps, the worst was the last one, if only because I was deciding what to do in that situation... Sad, really sad. In any case, when Rhino will release the 50th anniversary edition of Anthem of the Sun?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Thursday'sChild, you can see how the Dave's series has been a bittersweet experience for me, eh? Been a subscriber since the beginning, and probably will be until the end, but sometimes it feels like I'm punching myself in the face... I really don't like throwing down the money without knowing how I feel about the 2nd 2 releases in each subyear, but it is the same as whole-show vs chop-job: better to have something I feel "meh" about than miss something I love!The post-Pig/pre-hiatus period is, to me (and only me), a time of long stretches of ho-hum spiked by EPIC jam-bombs. And the last time I had the urge to hear a Fall-72 Other One exploration I spent 10 minutes trying to choose which of the 3 9/72 Dick's Picks to choose. Eventually I gave up and listened to something else entirely!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Daverock, yes exactly I agree with you. During the time the Road Trips were being released I passed on many of them because they were not complete shows. I even engaged in some heated debates (mainly on my end) on the boards over why complete shows the only way to listed to The Grateful Dead. Of course I was wrong. Along with developing more knowledge of shows over the years, I have also softened my stance considerably on complete shows versus fragmented ones. I have since gone back and bought many of the Road Trips which many were just that, fragments. I have talked about this before but many times with the Road Trips and the bonus discs, as well as some other combinations there are either whole sets or mostly complete shows out there that have been released. I am all cool with all of it. Even more so, if there happens to be good shows that are not complete but they get released anyway I am going to get them. I can see there being some 69, 70 and 71 shows that may fit that description. Yet when possible, I feel like complete shows should be released. I prefer to listen to the whole show if I can because for me it paints a better picture of the experience, at least as well as it can for only being a recording. The bottom line for me is that we only have a finite, albeit large number of recordings of this band so I will take anything I can get.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....we don't deserve dogs. When I had to put my Dottie dog down a few years ago, I bawled like a baby. Not my proudest moment. After six months, we got another. Now, getting ready to get another pit-mix in a couple of months. Eldest step daughter's dog had a litter. Told her to pick out the best female. She did. Already named her Lucy. Cause Loose Lucy is my delight.....
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

True.. but if you manage to pre-order (in between server crashes) you get free shipping, a collectible bonus disc, a bumper sticker, an unused ticket stub, a Do It Yourself Center of the Forehead Steelie Tattoo Kit and a free cup of hot chocolate. Plus three people get miracled (whatever that means). :D Yes to whole shows. As for the 74 chop jobs, I sort of get what they were trying to do, but it backfired a bit. One needs to look no further than 6/18/74 as proof. I could take or leave Seastones, if there's room and the recording is passible (there are some technical issues with these) go for it.. If it pushes us to a new CD and we have to cough up another $9 for it (assumes a $9 price per disc) than I say pass. I am not bitter about what's in the rear view mirror, however. They were just figuring out what works and what doesn't.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

You always have the skip track button. I skipped the incomplete Road Trips at first, and apparently missed out on some bonus discs. I got the partial shows later but didn’t get the compilations. Don’t know why I skipped Rockin the Rhein preorder, that 3/72 bonus disc now seems quite useful since I have portions of other Academy of Music shows.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Preferable, but not a must. DP2, DP12 and LAGTGD are my three favorite releases. Not a complete show among them. DP1 and DP3 are in the top ten as well.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

yes...................possibly greatest release ever.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Wow seth hollander,I read this comment you wrote and thought wow, not even the Winterland 1973 box set? Or how about DaP 13 from 2/24/74? RFK 6/10/73? "The post-Pig/pre-hiatus period is, to me (and only me), a time of long stretches of ho-hum spiked by EPIC jam-bombs." I'd much rather have complete shows, but like Jim said - I get why they did it. To go back and read Dick's articles when the series first came out, you really get the feeling that they were much more selective about what got released. In fact, I think I read that Phil was very heavily involved for the first several releases, and by involved I mean he basically yes'd this and no'd that.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Funny.. I listened to 10/31/71 this afternoon doing some finish work on my never ending master bathroom. I just got in the mood. This is a great release, but doing work that takes time did make me realize just how short it is.. The talk of Selland Arena last week got me revisiting Dave's Picks 17, 7/19/74. I decided to hit some of the neglected 74 releases, DP 12 among them. Serendipitous I guess.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

If I had to choose between the three releases I mentioned, one of the FW69 shows and just one of the E72 shows OR the entire catalog from the 80s and 90s (released and unreleased), I would take the former all day long. No questions asked. Yup. Those five over all the rest of it. And I purchased the TTATS box set for the '84 show alone.
product sku