• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

1. quadrophenia2. who's next 3. the who sell out 4. tommy 5. the who sings my generation ----
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Wonder if Jerry gets confused at the start of the song: he actually sings the first verse of My Baby Left Me, another Arthur Crudup song covered by Elvis. He's not even singing the right words to that one either..."My baby left me...even took my shoes.."??This version is kinda' sloppy, Bobby keeps playing the wrong chords progression!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I see the Who won't die here, and Patagonian Fox made some album rankings. Got me thinking about Who Are You. This record continues to be one of my favorites. Quadrophenia is my all time favorite, and pretty much has been since I got it for Christmas in 1984. Who Are You is my second favorite; I like it better than Who's Next as a whole, but I know Who's Next is a better representation of the band (and Baba O'Riley is in fact, my favorite song ever, by anyone). But with regard to Who Are You, I don't care much for Love Is Coming Down, but the rest of it is fantastic, and to me, sounds much more like the next step in evolution from Quadrophenia (more so than The Who By Numbers, due in part to the synths). All this, despite the fact that things are very clearly not well with Moon. It's also the last outstanding record for Daltrey as a vocalist (he was merely great on the succeeding records). And now for something completely unrelated - I'm not familiar with the Deadbase book - does it contain set lists? If so, can someone post the set list from 8/24/71? Wikipedia says that DP 35 does not contain the entire show from this date at the Auditorium Theatre; however, I've come across several set lists that indicate DP 35 is all there was, and that it was played in the order presented on DP 35. I also came across a site that list this as the set list - note the order is much different than the DP 35 presentation: Set 1: Big Railroad Blues Playin' In The Band Mr. Charlie Sugaree El Paso Next Time You See Me Bertha Me And Bobby McGee Set 2: Big Boss Man Loser Bird Song Cryptical Envelopment Drums The Other One Me And My Uncle The Other One Wharf Rat Cold Rain And Snow Deal Brokedown Palace Empty Pages Brown-Eyed Women Good Lovin' If there is an official source with the set list, I'd love to know which is correct.
user picture

Member for

6 years

why? the song is fuckin awesome that's why. I'm sorry 12/9/93 was the last time it was played.
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Thanks Terrapin Moon! I love that song. Really liked it since the only time I saw it played live at Cal Expo. Suits Phil's voice perfectly!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Like most, I was temporally disappointed that we had to do our own configuring for the 12/14/71 show with bonus. Dave so eloquently explained to all, and it does make sense (or cents). Like Thin, the 71' Austin RT's is one of my all time faves. A true rocker. As Dave reports, Albuquerque seems to be in the same greasy vein. Deadbase has a good write-up of the 12/15/71 Ann Arbor show. ( Check it out) SpaceBro alerted me (us) to the show, and it does appear to be quite excellent. (Heavy on the Pig slop!) Dave just might think 12/15 is a superior show to 12/14, but is able to give us 12/14 in chop suey fashion. Maybe 12/15 will be a future Dave's Picks; (if the master has also come home) possibly, as early as next year. Then we will (would) have a great accompaniment to 12/14. Again, thank you Dave and all the rest. What wonderful music keeps coming our way. Maybe big box news in the next few weeks? Great to be a Dead Head!!!! Sam T
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey Dark-Star, thank you for the lead in for that DaP 5 on ebay. I just went on there, found it, and hopefully I will end up with it at the auctions end. I know it's a great show and if I already have 11/17/71, 11/17/72, then I have to have 11/17/73 in my collection. It will complete my birthday show run. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Now THAT is tempting...I didn't realize it was still in print. Maybe it was a different / older Dead Base version I heard was out of print? In any case, I've never seen one of these or looked too closely at the content covered. On the one hand it may be time; on the other hand, I still haven't finished the book that came with 30 Trips, or even started the Cornell box set book. And I didn't finish Dennis McNally's Long Strange Trip book. It's a time thing. But this here Dead Base book looks more like a reference utility, so I may just convince myself....
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

icky. or as somebody said a few days ago, "ewwwww." my opinion, nothing more.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....is a must have. It's basically my second bible.
user picture

Member for

6 years

maybe I should go out of my way to lecture you on how "ewww wave to the wind" doesn't provide any depth to the conversation. oh wait i'm not a pompous dick like that one person was being. and I can accept not everyone likes Wave to the Wind I'm not going to convert everyone that's a losing battle
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

...were MUCH better with a real bass player. Jerry Scheff was his name. L.A Woman was his game. L.A Woman was and is the Doors best record. Morrison Hotel (also with a real bass player) a close second.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

...GoGD Bonus Disc cover song chasers?!? Ugh. My, my. How things just keep getting better and better! Lols. Glad i already have most to all of 'em. Doubt they will ever get re-released now.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Set 1:d1t01 - Tuning d1t02 - Bertha d1t03 - Me And Bobby McGee d1t04 - Mr. Charlie d1t05 - China Cat Sunflower -> d1t06 - I Know You Rider -> d1t07 - Beat It On Down The Line d1t08 - It Hurts Me Too d1t09 - Cumberland Blues d1t10 - Jack Straw d1t11 - You Win Again d1t12 - Run Rudolph Run d1t13 - Playing In The Band d1t14 - Brown Eyed Women d2t01 - Mexicali Blues d2t02 - Big Railroad Blues d2t03 - Brokedown Palace d2t04 - El Paso d2t05 - Casey Jones Set 2: d2t06 - Dark Star -> d2t07 - Deal d2t08 - Stars and Stripes Forever d2t09 - Sugar Magnolia d2t10 - Turn On Your Lovelight Encore: d3t01 - One More Saturday Night d3t02 - Uncle John's Band Third disc just for the encores. Maybe fill it up with third disc of 12/10. DISC THREE set 2-end: 01 [07:41] Truckin' > 02 [00:16] The Other One > 03 [03:19] Drums > 04 [13:11] The Other One > 05 [03:16] Sittin' On Top Of The World > * 06 [06:02] The Other One > * 07 [04:55] Not Fade Away > 08 [00:53] China Cat Sunflower Jam > 09 [06:19] Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > 10 [03:31] Not Fade Away 11 [04:50] One More Saturday Night TT [54:18] p.s. I think people should be able to post what they like without people being rude.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

with the all caps. Just forcing my opinion on people that probably don't care. As far as rude people go... it's almost always been chill here. Not at all like Youtube or Facebook.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

The out of order disc 3 and bonus disc for 2018 is kind of a drag. Bummer if they could have avoided that whammy. I would bet the bonus discs won't be re-released , but some of the shows they were plucked from will be released in full over time. Rhino people 1969 + 1976 release for final 2 in 2018 , if you guys are not going with 80s-90s. The summer 1989 RFK 2 show box set was very cool. Spinning April 1977 and June 1991 ~ Pine Knob "You know our love will not fade away"
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have Deadbase 8, published in 1994. According to the setlist for 8-24-71, Cumberland was the first set closer, after Bobby McGee. Other than that it agrees with your list. Also of note is this was the first rendition of Empty Pages.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I'm a casual hockey fan (but do love the flyers)...can someone explain to me how the new Vegas team is so good? Isn't this their first year? I thought expansion teams basically picked up players off the scrap heap...v-guy?? On another note, I gave dicks picks 28 a spin today. Almost forgot how good this is. a nice warm feeling comes over me everyone I hear it. Many great songs but surprisingly maybe one of the best versions of He's Gone of all time....
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Now seems like a Galaxy far, far away with the bonus disc/no cover songs news. If it happens, it will prolly be a 4CD one off retail box set like the 10/74 Grateful Dead Movie box set. I'm sure there are legal and/or estate and/or song publishing issues to iron out first.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In the desert? What has the world come to?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....one could call it that. Every team had to release a player prior to the start of this season. That's thirty players. You almost have a team right there. I put full credit on the front office and coaching. It trickles down from there. Our mishmash team had a point to prove. Castaways. Vegas Golden Knights gelled into a powerhouse before my eyes, and it is addicting. Funny that looking back when our team was first named, the internet blew up with Golden Shower jokes. Where are you now? Vegasborn I am. I've always loved this city and am enamored by the Knights. Oh. I also like They Love Each Other a lot. My wedding song....
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Deadbase is not a book you read from front cover to back cover, although you could. It’s for reference, you open it and read the page that has the info you need at that moment.And it has a lot of info...... And you can usually access that info faster than going to the internets.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The nice thing about the edition that came out for the 50th in 2015 is that in addition to the Grateful Deads updated setlists are lists for Jerry solo, Bob solo, Phil solo, The other Ones, The dead, Furthur all the way up to the 50th anniversary shows. Dead & Company started after the book came out. There's a ton of statistical information and even select show reviews. Between 1988 and 1993 they released the yearly supplimental editions with full analysis and reviews for every show in those years (the '94 and '95 supplimental editions were included with Deadbase IX and Deadbase X). Deadbase XI was updated through the first "The Other Ones" tour in '98, including reviews of those shows. For hardcore tape collectors, they came in handy, though now much of the info can be found online. Still well worth having a hardcopy (supplimental hardcopies for those who want to explore/study '88-'95 in depth). I always liked the "Dark Star" maps that would do deeper analysis of the popular versions. Of course the three "Tapers Compendium" books are useful.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The only copy of Deadbase that I got was number 10, which came out just after Jerry died. I would like to get the 50th edition, but the shipping to England would be astronomical. I look at those three "Tapers Compendium" books more than my copy of Deadbase. In fact, they are the books on the Dead that I have looked at most over the years-I have probably looked at one of them every couple of days or so since they first came out. I used to read everything I could find on the band. The first book I read was that terrible one by Hank Harrison, the first one he wrote, which I got back in 1975. Far better was "The Music Never Stopped" by Blair Jackson, which I got in the early 1980s. It has a great opening, describing a Dead show at Ventura, in, I think, 1982. The book chronicles the history of the band, which was quite new to me at the time-but the other great thing about it is the review of tapes of shows at the end of the book. I can remember reading these, and wondering how on earth I could ever find them for myself. Incredible, how things have progressed in terms of the accessibility of the bands music since those days. In fact, the bands music is more accessible to me now, and, thanks to this website, more easily discussed, than it was when they were actually still functioning.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Seems close to perfect in my opinion. No disruptions from the wind or birds or other things. This is one of Dave's favorite shows, and he got his wish and is sharing this show via dead.net.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

You can get Deadbase 50 on Amazon, that might help with shipping, duties, tariffs, etc. DB50 contains a copy of DBX (or whatever the last version was) plus everything since. It’s a lot thicker than DBX.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Been a bit of a lurker the past few weeks as work is in a fast frenzy at the moment, kids and wifey have been a little ill, and took a long weekend getaway to Portland Maine last weekend (we had never been - I definitely ate and drank my way across the realm) but have been keeping tabs on all things related to this little corner of the universe in the meantime. Noting that The Who and The Doors discussion appears to be "not quite dead yet", my offering is thus: back in the day, say prolly around 7th or 8th grade, a confluence of events began to shape my current musical appreciation in the basic elements and building blocks of classic rock. This included friends' older brothers who passed along musical ideas in our presence, it included girlfriends who started to make me my very fist "mix tapes", and it included me beginning to tune into radio stations within the classic rock format (even though back then I don't believe it was actually referred to that). My parents didn't really listen to much music so I was left to go seeking out those sounds which enticed my ears. First among them were The Who, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers, and of course The Dead. This all sort of fell into my lap at more or less the same point in time so I was left to distill, prioritize, and learn. I thoroughly enjoyed everything i was hearing, but of course at some point The GD sort of took over front and center. But I will say, ALL of these bands formulated a general opinion of "I like this kind of music" but the real juice was unleashed once I got my hands on Live Dead, Shakedown Street and Europe '72. The rest is history, My Friends. As I have been on a bit of a '71 kick lately, DaP 26 should be a welcome listen as I've never heard it before. Echoing others' enthusiasm for a purported similarity to the Austin Road Trips show and hope I am as pleasantly surprised. Today in Boston: Cold Rain and Snow. WTF. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

come in and shut the Doors GD 9/11/74 is a round trip to Pluto GD Albuquerque 1971...looking forward to hearing this one. I reeeeeeally hope it's good.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

The Seastones into Eyes of the World is amazing. Ned plays on the Eyes also....If you have never listened to this combo.... give it a whirl, you don't have to start right at the beginning of seastones if its not your thing.. more rain and snow in the northeast!!! bob t
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Sixtus - Glad you are back. Hope all's well. I too fell into all those bands at the same time. And for me the Dead eventually rose to the top for 2 reasons: 1) The Dead have depth and character and staying power. Their "thing" is complex, and changes year-to-year, even show-to-show. 2) THE TAPES! If none of the shows had ever been recorded, we may not have REALIZED the depth and character and staying power....we'd all be sitting around listening to Workingman's Dead and American Beauty for the millionth time.... actually we wouldn't be listening to it because we would have lost interest after the 100th spin - we all would have thought Dark Star was just a weird, unfinished 2 minute song and eventually moved on to Hall & Oates.... All hail the tapes, and thanks to those who recorded them.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Thin - excellent point regarding the tapes or anything beyond initial studio offerings. I mean, right, if they only had that little 2 minute Dark Star the world would be totally upside down today. Although admittedly I have gone back to my 'Skeletons' CD from time to time to guffaw at that little tiny thing. It's such a dichotomy and oozes irony, I can imagine that's why they did it. But yeah - without the tapes and The Vault, the innovation As We All Know It would be a little flat over the years. Of course, the Real Destiny was to always have those reels going, going going. We are All better for it. I think Hall and Oats are coming to Boston soon...Ha. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I purchased the electronic Kindle version I believe for only $3 a while back due to someone alerting me on this site. I basically don't know how to use it. What I would really love is if I could access many show reviews. There are some but I mostly see song lists of shows. Any tips would be appreciated
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I agree with you on that, 100%! And, as for keeping the tape legacy alive in the internet age, all hail Charlie Miller, the great archivist/remasterer, and all hail Live Music Archive, the great non-profit and super-accessible harbor for the vast armada of digitized Deadtapes.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for the info on Deadbase going out to icecreamcnkid, vguy, daverock, reijo29 and spacebother. Slowdog Noodle, thanks for the Deadbase info on that 8/24 set list. It seems like either DP 35 or Deadbase is incorrect. The Deadbase set list does not include UJB, Hurts Me Too, BIODTL, St Stephen, NFA, GDTRFB, NFA. Between both set list sources, the total number of songs played is 30 (excluding Drums), which sounds unlikely for 1971 (i.e. it doesn't sound as if the Deadbase accounting is simply incomplete). Perhaps this is best left shrouded in mystery.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

that emotionMORE LATE DEAD PLEASE
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

thanks hoffman
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

And you realize there's an amazon.co.uk, which should reduce fees even more.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I have just had a look an amazon.co.uk-I hadn't thought of looking on there for Deadbase. But its still costs a small fortune. £263.00-thats 370.00 dollars. I haven't got a kindle machine, so that's that for the time being. Amen about the tapes. They have certainly prolonged my interest. And great though so many rock bands were and are, I have yet to come across one that played such varied shows of such high quality for such a long period of time. Due to my lack of skills and equipment, I don't listen to shows on the archive-but I've still got enough shows on cd to keep me going till the end of my life-I am quite old, mind you. Vinyl seems to have got me in its grip this year. That Shrine 67 show-wow! So, looking forward to the 1969 recording that should be coming our way soon.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....hey! I have that issue!! I was an avid comic book collector until around 1994. Had to stop. I was buying more than i could read. It was like crack....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Anyone notice the recently released reissue of the Cornell '77 vinyl? I find it curious that none of the descriptions I read mention it being previously released as a limited edition set. I haven't seen it offered here, and I find it interesting the fact it was originally marketed as a limited release and any explanation for a re-release seems to be swept under a magic carpet. It also leads me to consider the implications. Should I not be in any hurry to grab the Fillmore West RSD vinyl on Saturday because it will be reissued in a few months? I feel slightly duped, and not because I want to have something few others can have. I feel duped because limited edition offerings are strong marketing manipulations to create a sense of urgency. I bite, and I bit, and now it's like, "hey guy, why the hurry? we'll press thousands more after the initial race." All that aside, I am happy that those who did not get the vinyl on the first round will be able to grab a copy if they want. This release sounds great on wax. Update: I did a little more research and confirmed one difference I already suspected. The initial release was 180g vinyl, and the reissue is 140g. The initial is numbered, so I also suspect there may be some difference in the packaging.
product sku