• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I have extra sealed copy looking to sell for my cost plus shipping. Just ordered new box.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Can you believe I'm still receiving early bird e-mails from this year's DAP subscription? Why?
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

Wife, kids and I have to move out of our house at some point this summer after 8 years. The owner no longer wishes to hang onto it and is selling it and we don't know how soon, etc but aside from having to uproot our garden *I am in Colorado, not just veggies out there* I don't know what our god damned new address is going to be! Makes it a royal pain when wanting to place an order. Might just have to have it shipped to the in-laws house. Has anyone else gone rooting through their tapes to see if they have any of these shows? I know I have digital sbd files of ALL of them but....but.....official releases! Remastered sound!!! LINER NOTES!!! Only ordering the 3 disc set as I stated earlier and a brother from the board has already reached out guaranteeing me the rest of the officially released box. We are all terribly good at sharing things and anyone who has dealt with me on a personal level from this board can vouch for my willingness to share any and all sound that I hang on to. Gotta love our community. Hoping to meet up with some of you in Albuquerque or Boulder this summer for the Dead and Company gigs as well as the August Jerry Garcia Birthday Band gigs in Vail. Anyone who made it to last year's Red Rocks birthday bash for Jerry's 75th knows not to miss that one. PM me if interested!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

This board has obviously gone crickets since the "box" news\board, but just a couple of points for DP#27: 1) With the Dick's Picks Series, out of the first 27 releases 7 were from POST-1978. So far with Dave Picks we have had exactly 2 of the 26 releases from POST-1978. 2) With the new box from 1973-1974, isn't it about time for a few shows POST-1978. Honestly, how much from 1972, 1974, and 1977 can be put out?!?! I mean I like those years, BUT HONESTLY other than a good handful of shows from those 3 years, every show sounds the same from each of those particular years. 3) Give us the next 4-5 Dave Picks from 1979-1987....it's just time. I know the 1970s only cult on these boards doesn't like this, but it's just time on for some non-fkn 1970-1978 releases...LOL
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Totally agree RV3... lets save more 72, 73, 74, 77. 78 for DaP #29 and beyond!My slogan for the next release is: "Can't wait for some '68 !" Wha'd ya think Dave ;-) Due for some Early Dead! iGrateful
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

So are we likely to get the DaP 27 announcement the week after July 4? I agree that 79-81 is "due" based on what has been recently released. The rest of the 80's are unlikely of course. I would prefer a 68 or 69 release too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

Not for nothing:) But have we heard any DaP 27 clues from Bolo? I thought all the previous clues were related to the box set?
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I agree that 1979-1981 looks the most likely release for Daves Picks 27. Especially with the new version of Anthem with its bonus disc due to be released soon. And 79-81 would be alright with me, but the most exciting choice would be another show for 1968-or 1969-especially the first half of the year, when they were still rocking The Eleven at most shows.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

My choices for Dave's Picks Vol 27:a show with 27 in the date; a show from 1970; a show from 1980 (yeah, baby!); a show from 1985 (Hershey or Merriweather Post shows, but hardly likely, a real long shot for any of those three.) We'll find out in a few weeks.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I was able to re-assemble this show in correct order, and find the missing Ramble On Rose - insert that where it belongs, burn it onto 3 cd-r. Great freakin' show! I did all this in late May and the discs are still in my car, along with cd-rs of the featured 11/17/71 Albuquerque gig. I have an 2006 Chevy with a CD changer and I play these shows most of the time while driving. I have NOT BEEN BORED with these shows! On to DaP 27
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I was able to re-assemble this show in correct order, and find the missing Ramble On Rose - insert that where it belongs, burn it onto 3 cd-r. Great freakin' show! I did all this in late May and the discs are still in my car, along with cd-rs of the featured 11/17/71 Albuquerque gig. I have an 2006 Chevy with a CD changer and I play these shows most of the time while driving. I have NOT BEEN BORED with these shows! On to DaP 27
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I say it'll be 8/4/76.
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

Until recently, I'd be listening to DaP 26 as it's presented on the CD. I re-assembled it into the correct order the other day and gave it a listen. The flow is much more natural. However, I find it really disorienting how you get a few teaser notes of the next song but then they slide into a different tune. Like, Jerry gives us a few teaser notes for Tennessee Jed and then - BAM! - they lurch into NTYSM.
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

That would be my dream choice, too. The sound on that show is magnificent. And they are rocking hard for '76. Definitely a top 3 Help/Slip/Frank, and my favorite pre-Fire Scarlet. Phil is very high in the mix, with his funkier tone. Would love to hear a mix where Mr. Norman could bring Jerry out more. I'm all in on your prediction!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have loved the recent picks, including the PNW box set!!! But it’s time for some crisp 90s dead.How about 12-12-90 Denver, with the Dark Star finish out of space from 2 nights later as filler on disc 3 Summer 91 Fall 93 Summer 92 Lots of great DAT boards that would sparkle with the right mix.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Disc Two just stole my face right off my head. Holy Mother of Pearl . . .
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

My 3rd GD show! (6/10/73; 6/22/76; 8/4/76...)Sure I'd love to have this baby released in the current Dave's Picks series (as DaP 27), but right now "The-Powers-That-Be" are playing the "recently-returned-to-the-vault" game with us, and we're loving it. As far as I know, the original 1st gen. tapes of this gem of a show has been in the vaults all the while. What we've been listening to has been 3rd and more gen. tapes in circulation. That's only my humble under-educated opinion. Bring on 8/4/76 Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City - pronto! We'll find out in about 2 weeks or so, give or take some days.
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

Things are quiet on the thread(s)! I compiled my own 3 disc set from their Believe it If You Need it 3 disc set so that I could enjoy it at work and holy guacamole, Batman! They weren't kidding, this is pretty damned good. The jazzy air of '73-74 has been written about a million times over and these shows are great examples as to why. Floating on a breeze and then roaring in like a blizzard often in the same jam. VERY stoked about this. Any good rumors as to what DaP27 will be? Salivating over here! It will be the last release I receive at this address then I will have to mail the customer service people with the new one...I hope they don't mind. Been away for 12 days and I felt all 12. Looking forward to forthcoming and aforementioned gigs. Anyone here caught any on this last leg?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

PapaHooper said "12-12-90 Denver, with the Dark Star finish out of space from 2 nights later as filler on disc 3". I have ex. qual. sdbds of those two shows and have OFTEN thought they would make a nice release. 12/12/90: Set One: Touch Of Grey > Greatest Story Ever Told ; Candyman ; Walkin' Blues ; Loose Lucy ; Mexicali Blues > Maggie's Farm ; Queen Jane Approximately ; Deal Set Two: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > Looks Like Rain ; Iko, Iko ; Dark Star > Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > All Along The Watchtower > Stella Blue > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away Encore: The Weight end of Set Two 12/14: Space > Dark Star > I Need A Miracle > Wharf Rat > Love Light First Set 12/12 is 68 minutes, Beginning of 12/12 Second Set to the end of Space is 75 minutes, the post-Space part of 12/12 runs 40 minutes (give or take). Space through end of Second Set on 12/14 runs about 38 minutes. We have a winna! The only B&V90 shows to be released so far are 9/16 & 10/27 complete and parts of 9/18-20. Of the 5 Dark Stars played in that period, only 1 has been released (9/20). After this wish is granted, only 10/31 & 11/1/90 need to be released and I will ask for no more B&V90!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Only one concert was played on a June 2. In 1995. Why? And very few concerts were played on June 1 or June 2 or June 3. Why?
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Because 6 (June is the 6th month) is divisible by 1,2, and 3.Don’t flirt with math, it will bite you. “Oh, I’m not a magician, I’m a mathemagician.” - The Simpsons
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Dave's Picks Volume 27 could be revealed as early as today, July 5, 2018 (unlikely) or tomorrow, Friday July 6th, or most likely sometime next week with Friday July 13th being a *good* target date. Oh the irony of a reveal on Friday the 13th, I see a twisted humor in it. DaP 27 will sell out probably within 2 hours of the posting of the new page on the day of the reveal. The selected show? I have no idea what DaP 27 will contain, but it probably won't be from 1967, '68, '71, '73, '74 or 1977. "DaP 27 will be a show from the time period from 1/1/70 to 12/31/79." wissinomingdeadhead "had a dream that DaP 27 was 11/25/79" he could be right about that, but I won't count or bet on that one, but who knows...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

12-1-798-10-82 2-26-77 10-15-76 11-26-80 (Pembroke)
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I'm getting old and hope that Dave puts out some Greek shows in excellent audio quality....before it is too late!! Mr. Pete--------> aging hippie
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

2-26-77 is a sure-fire Dave's Pick! Maybe not next but soon. Oh hell, make it next!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Preorder Monday July 16 at 10AM PT However the email I received doesn't state the show. I'm going with 12/1/79, this show is long overdue for an official release. It's Friday DeadLAND so, PLAY DEAD
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Although my main loves are 1967/8, '72-'74, and late '77 through 1978, I am totally ready for some 80s and 90s. And, as always, I am more than cool with short compilations, e.g., a "show" compiled from a three-night run. The reel-to-reel tape return is crazy-exciting, but once we've released the best of the returns, I would rather have a thoughtful compilation along the lines of 6/24-25/91 than the 17th-best show from one of the years in the Seventies. [ducks head, runs for cover . . . ]
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Good point... especially on the heels of Anthem this weekend and Pac NW 73-74 in Sept.... Surprise me! As long as its superb quality, and Jerry is ON (!!) I'm excited... iGrateful
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Don't I wish... "Bolo24" got IT! Alligator Alley Gym University Of Florida Gainesville, FL, USA Set 1: Alabama Getaway Promised Land Candyman New Minglewood Blues Row Jimmy Mama Tried Mexicali Blues Althea Lost Sailor> Saint Of Circumstance Don't Ease Me In Set 2: Shakedown Street> Franklin's Tower> Estimated Prophet> He's Gone> Truckin'> Drums> The Other One> Stella Blue Good Lovin' Encore: Casey Jones Edits from reviews of this show: I was living in St.Augustine, FL, at the time & had heard that The Boys were coming to Gainesville, a mere hour+ ride from the First City. So, like the other guy said, I ran - I didn't walk - to the nearest ticket vendor! It was a great show. I was familiar w/ many of the songs in the Dead's playlist by the fall of 1980. I had become familiar w/ the band around the time of Blues For Allah and Terrapin Station and, after the release of Shakedown Street, the band was summarily thrust into the national spotlight w/ the major smashing success of the title track. They wouldn't see that kind of radio play again until the release of the After Dark album when the believably-unpopular tune, Touch of Grey, thrust our Bay Area Boys into the international limelight once again! Anyway, I've become VERY familiar w/ the set list since this `80 show and had taken in numerous shows by the time August of 1995 rolled around. I've also watched other incarnations like The Other Ones, Phil & Friends & now The Dead w/ great delight & renewed enthusiasm. It's does the heart good to see the music surviving so long after it first commenced in 1965. I guess, truly, The Music Never Stopped, eh?! Anyway, this UF show is a great settie: there are definitely better, there are also certainly worse. But, it will always be a special settie to me `cause it was the night I popped my Grateful Dead cherry, so to speak! Well, as Pierre Robert from 93.3FM/WMMR in Philly was always fond of saying ... "may God Bless the Grateful Dead." Oh, and ... GO `GATORS!!! -------- Yeah, the second set has some good stuff... but I wouldn't say it was mind-blowing. For example, the transition from Shakedown to Franklin's was sloppy. -Anonymous ---- Went to this show as a freshman at UF. Remember being in an nice altered state waiting to get inside and a bus full of Hare Krishna unloaded in front and they started their own jam session. I had never seem Krishna before and just watching them jam was a fun diversion. Anyone else remember that? The place only held about 10k and the bleachers were shanking. "Double shot of whiskey and those Gainesville girls start looking good" ---- Thanks, "Dr. G" for the heads-up on this one!
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

...DHB, for endorsement of June 91; in my estimation, recognition of stand-out shows from the Summer and Fall tours is a testament to one's DeadIQ! There is a late season poetry and luminosity in a few of these performances that put me to mind of the encephalitically imprisoned souls that surfaced briefly from catatonia during Malcolm Sayers' experiments with L-Dopa in '69. But a modicum of prioritization, please: with a lovely representative of the MSG residency already released in 30T, I should like to see the transcendence of 6/17 grace a trifold digipack's cover before any other June offerings. That said, given light traffic during the peak Summer vacation season, greater remote server access for superfluities has become viable; so, this weekend, I formulated a few queries for a firm-based program that essentially combines multiple regression analyses with (something like) a financial market prediction model in an effort to ascertain the identity of #27. My attempts to produce a comprehensive assay contemplating the pattern of previous Da picks, sell-out time, polling data, other past releases (Di, RT, Vault), and the astrological disposition of the House of Venus, all in conjunction with assorted myths, monsters, and fairy dust, quickly descended into undisciplined chaos that yielded a mathematical casserole akin to emptying the kitchen shelves in a mixing bowl. Nonetheless, HAL was adamant about the pending release of a '69 performance (no kidding, with a back-up confirmation run), which jibes nicely with my opening medical allusion. Or, with some tweaking (i.e., expanded field of independent variables), '68. Attempts to factor in tours/seasons proved too onerous. I do have a life, you know, though after reading this one might not be faulted for thinking otherwise. Good luck to our resident a la carte warriors tomorrow!/K P.S.: Hi Gollum! P.P.S.: Just realized that the 2001 reference correlates with the '68 release of Kubrick's film...and the tea leaves, chicken bones, planets, Pinkus' chi and Dave's cerebellum slowly grind into celestial alignment...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

hmmm
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

This is a great recording.
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

product sku