• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • alvarhanso
    That would be my dream choice, too. The sound on that show is magnificent. And they are rocking hard for '76. Definitely a top 3 Help/Slip/Frank, and my favorite pre-Fire Scarlet. Phil is very high in the mix, with his funkier tone. Would love to hear a mix where Mr. Norman could bring Jerry out more. I'm all in on your prediction!
  • ShaggyFraggle
    Until recently, I'd be listening to DaP 26 as it's presented on the CD. I re-assembled it into the correct order the other day and gave it a listen. The flow is much more natural. However, I find it really disorienting how you get a few teaser notes of the next song but then they slide into a different tune. Like, Jerry gives us a few teaser notes for Tennessee Jed and then - BAM! - they lurch into NTYSM.
  • wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar
    I say it'll be 8/4/76.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    I was able to re-assemble this show in correct order, and find the missing Ramble On Rose - insert that where it belongs, burn it onto 3 cd-r. Great freakin' show! I did all this in late May and the discs are still in my car, along with cd-rs of the featured 11/17/71 Albuquerque gig. I have an 2006 Chevy with a CD changer and I play these shows most of the time while driving. I have NOT BEEN BORED with these shows! On to DaP 27
  • Born Cross Eye…
    I was able to re-assemble this show in correct order, and find the missing Ramble On Rose - insert that where it belongs, burn it onto 3 cd-r. Great freakin' show! I did all this in late May and the discs are still in my car, along with cd-rs of the featured 11/17/71 Albuquerque gig. I have an 2006 Chevy with a CD changer and I play these shows most of the time while driving. I have NOT BEEN BORED with these shows! On to DaP 27
  • Born Cross Eye…
    My choices for Dave's Picks Vol 27:a show with 27 in the date; a show from 1970; a show from 1980 (yeah, baby!); a show from 1985 (Hershey or Merriweather Post shows, but hardly likely, a real long shot for any of those three.) We'll find out in a few weeks.
  • diw
    Default Avatar
    So are we likely to get the DaP 27 announcement the week after July 4? I agree that 79-81 is "due" based on what has been recently released. The rest of the 80's are unlikely of course. I would prefer a 68 or 69 release too.
  • diw
    Default Avatar
    Not for nothing:) But have we heard any DaP 27 clues from Bolo? I thought all the previous clues were related to the box set?
  • daverock
    I agree that 1979-1981 looks the most likely release for Daves Picks 27. Especially with the new version of Anthem with its bonus disc due to be released soon. And 79-81 would be alright with me, but the most exciting choice would be another show for 1968-or 1969-especially the first half of the year, when they were still rocking The Eleven at most shows.
  • iGrateful
    Totally agree RV3... lets save more 72, 73, 74, 77. 78 for DaP #29 and beyond!My slogan for the next release is: "Can't wait for some '68 !" Wha'd ya think Dave ;-) Due for some Early Dead! iGrateful
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

Here it is let the fun begin
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Thanks Dave! Cant wait to hear this show in all its glory
user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

I have a subscription but I was able to get a copy for a birthday gift for a close friend...no problems with the purchase....
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Can't wait to hear these two 71 shows straight through in great quality!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I am an annual subscriber from the first year so I never miss a release.Anytime a Dave's arrives is a very, very good day(s). Thank you Sir!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I believe this one is Doc approved. I get a little giddy when non-circulating, high quality reels get the Full Norman and release treatment. VGuy says, "Are those balloons.... full of nitrous?" Classic.. cracked me up.
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Can't wait to hear these 2 shows for the price of one. Thank god I subscribed to get the bonus disk to get most of the 12/14/71 show. I wonder what was left out from that 12/14 show and if they just don't have the rest of the songs in their archive or decided to leave some songs off because it can't fit on 2 CDs? Either way Keith and Pigpen both in the mix is a great thing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

I'm ready for some more 71. ------------------------------------------ Bonus disc and no covers? 2013 Dave's Picks Bonus disc had two covers. Smokestack Lightning & Good Lovin...must've caused some problems. ------------------------------------------ I'm off to check out 5/21/74 and the 46 minute Playin in the Band
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

We got a thing, and a thing, another thing, #27 #28 coming up in 2018. Looks like we got Anthem 50th and two boxes still to come.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'll bet the Bonus Disc / Covers "rule" does not apply when the song is in "public domain" (public domain means the artist and / or their legal entity has been dead / dissolved for x number of years). Maybe Good Lovin' and Smokestack Lightning are public domain tunes.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

jim wrote "Excited For This One", well I'm excited for the Other One. ar ar So three "other projects" going on the year... one of which is probably MUATM, but perhaps 2 boxes? And sounds like they'll be doing something that they've never done before.... I wonder if that could be a collection of early GD show fragments w/ Pig....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

UNBELIEVABLE !I was on the Phone for over 45 minutes trying to put in my order for the New Dave's Picks...What a Freakin' Nightmare !..I had to read my C C Number to the Guy 4 God Damn 4 times !!!!...He Hardly spoke OR Understood a word of English.!..What Happened to the good 'ol days when some Hippie Chick or Stoned Dude would answer the phone, take your Order and you'd be on your Merry Way ????....Not anymore Folks....If you speak Asian Indian or some other Language from across the Globe, MAYBE you can get an Order in,...How FRUSTRATING !...I had to repeat My e-mail, phone number, Shipping address, Billing address, zip code etc. over 6 times !..I'm beginning to think this isn't worth it anymore....I've been a ''Dead Head'' since 1967 and this is just TOO FREAKIN' MUCH !...WHY CAN'T I ORDER IN PLAIN ENGLISH !!!!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

or a smart phone to order. it's faster. also, better to have a guy that makes sure he has the correct info than a fast stoner
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

I'm no copyright law expert by any means, but I was under the assumption that the public domain songs are listed as "Traditional, arranged by..."? The 1st Dave's Picks bonus disc has Nobody's Fault But Mine...and that one is listed as such.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Is this guy joking? You went to the trouble of posting this rant on the actual website thats offering the pre order... Why not try actually going through the ordering process on here? if it crashes, sure, call em up and try that route. Yeesh
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

maybe it's you. have you ever considered that possibility Richard, or is it Dick?
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...to play out the release hand this year? Just drafted my 2018 third and fourth quarter budget for "things".... "This is going to be a really good year. We've got a thing and then we've got a Dave's Pick 27 and 28; we've got another thing aaaaaand this other thing."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

have just checked, and order page says sold out, WOW, only on sale for half an hour,
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Oh no! All gone? Here's hoping a kind soul will bring a miracle & help out with filling a flash once physical delivery has happened. Cheers all.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

Fake news! Russian troll
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

In under 2 hours
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

@davidadavisThanks for hipping me to this fantastic website. Bless you for passing it on.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

...this coming Saturday is RSD: 2-27-69 Fillmore West full complete show on vinyl
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Appeared to be available as I logged in, but now says unavailable. Subscribed, so am all set. Too early for Vol. 27 predictions? They may have to up the number for 2019 and make it an even 20,000. Glad to see the returns aren't quite yet diminishing. For those who missed out, I'm sure plenty of people have bought multiple subscriptions and the ala carte maximum number, so these will be popping up on Ebay, which I'm sure already have. Now onto watching the Seaside Chat....which I see now is actually from the basement.
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

I was on computer, waiting for it to come up, got e-mail at 1:10 pm ,logged in, was available, by the time I got order put in, it was sold out. And they had 18,500 copies to sell this year, last year, they had 16,500 copies to sell, and I was able to get one 2 hours after notice came in. What cha gonna do,Jim
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

Interesting video. It sounds like Dave is working on 3 things, in addition to Dave's Picks. Wow! 3 things! I'm going to guess that a mono version of Anthem of the Sun with a white cover on 200 gram vinyl is one of them. My second guess for Dave's thing is a Europe '90 box set. And #3, the thing they've never done anything like it before? It has to be a box of every note played on The Quick and The Dead tour. That is, all the Dead and all the QMS. Oh man....I can't wait!
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....I want that Orpheum poster Dave. How much?
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Which group do you prefer - The Doors or The Who?
user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

sounds waaay better than the archive copy. but damn they did kind of made it out to be we'd be getting two complete shows. well, anyways.....I am a real a-mer-ic-an~~~ fight for the rights of ever-y man~~~~...
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

MUATM? MUATM? MUATM....thinking, thinking, thinking....MUATM... Wow...I'm sure it's really obvious, but I can't figure it out. Thin? Help please?
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

12-14-71 what's missing here is... after Loser in the first set is Jack Straw, not there, after Next Time you See Me should be a Tennessee Jed, not there, then after Run Run Rudolph should be Black Peter, Playin in the Band and Casey Jones which ends the first set, not there. The second set is all chopped up. We don't get the opening Ramble on Rose or the Mexicali, starts off second set with Big Boss Man, then the entire jam from the second set is missing, Cryptical, Drums, TOO>me and my unkle jam>TOO, Wharf Rat and Sugar Magnolia, all missing. It does have the ending of the second set You Win Again,NFA>GDTRFB>NFA all included. So What's on that bonus disc? Not listed here. let's hope we get the Jack Straw and Tennessee Jed and the big jam from the second set. Gonna take some work to get this disc back in order. Russian Troll? Fake News? Really? Ever try calling in an order? It really is that difficult so not fake news and as far as trolls, Russian or otherwise, right. Fastest sell out to date? Could be a record. Glad I got a copy of this one.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

a la carte is dead. it is no more. it has ceased to be. you gotta buy 'em all or risk getting skunked. I used to do a la carte, but cannot do it anymore.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Any one want to trade? I'd be interested in trading Vol. 26 (Brand New) for one of the other Vols. 1-24. PM if interested.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

You were obviously targeted for special call center treatment, all in good hell fun. Tell it to the fake President, he'll be all ears. I assume you'll be calling him too, speak English-only when you get his very limited attention. Primary a la carte availabity is pretty sketchy now, wow, but it's alive via secondary sources. This release might struggle to hold $40 on eBay at times in months ahead. Be patient.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Meet Up At The Movies!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Interesting tidbit of info in the video. It can be surmised that the bonus disc will mostly consist of... Tennessee Jed Black Peter Playin' Casey Jones Ramble On rose Mexicali Cryptical Drums Other One MAMU Jam Other One Wharf Rat Sugar Magnolia In the video, Dave says one song is excluded, but the big jam is complete and uninterupted, so it would appears that either Tennessee jed, Black Peter or Casey Jones will be left off. Either no "cocaine", "shackles, ball and chain" or "Sweet Susan" for you....until whenever they decide to officially release the other Ann Arbor show. I can't imagine that one NOT being released at some point, whether as a Dave's Pick or other project. I would consider 12/15/71 an essential show from that year. If you haven't heard it, check it out... https://archive.org/details/gd1971-12-15.sbd.miller.97718.sbeok.flac16 edit - I agree with the following comment, in regards to the Dave's Picks series. The cost of being a consumer of the later era's is considerally higher than the bulk of these smaller one full show releases.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 4 months

The 70's are great, but it would be nice to see something from another era . . . just for a change.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

To be clear, I have Vol. 26 (BRAND NEW). Looking to trade for one of the other Vols. 1-24 (preferably sealed). PM if interested.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

in regards to your post: ***SERIOUSLY***SOLD OUT THAT FAST???? UNBELIEVABLE Uh, yeah, they pretty much said everywhere that there was a very limited quantity that would surely sell out in hours.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I'm not trying to start a rumor here, but why break up the 2 sets so dramatically? I know Dave likes to keep the jam segment intact, but wasn't there an easier way? Perhaps we will get a surprise on disc 2? Maybe......Dark Star from Ann Arbor? Here's hoping.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Bolo we are still going through stage 1 of getting shut out, I think the Doors versus the who is closer to stage 10!! It did crack me up to see your question!! bob t
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

I was on the website to order at 12.02 Iowa time (CST) this was 10.02 PCT. 2 minutes in and could not complete the order for some unknown reason; I am bummed!
product sku