• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Oroborous, we stayed in the same lot. Come to think of it. You must have been the guy that sold me that guacamole sandwich! Those were the days.

• Oroborous

Deadvikes, thanks!
    40 seems like a big deal to me, but when you think of how many folks here (or used to be here) can add ten years to that....
    Those 86 Alpine shows we’re our first time there. Don’t remember the shows so much, but man did we have fun.
    Camped out next to the woods in that adjacent lot. Traveling with a blind dude and seeing eye dog....
    Saw Alpine through Buffalo that tour. Think I recall liking Alpine, felt Riverbend was one of the best I had been at up to that point. Those riverboats coinciding with the songs at just the right time, still gives me goose bumps. The fireworks after in the lot too, voooohooo, kinda how I was feeling at the time 😎
    Buffalo was great, don’t recall much of Akron? Don’t recall liking that one very much. Remeber Dylan came out in the first set to jam, but it didn’t seem to mesh well. Have only heard a few shows from 86 though, so need to check all that out someday.....so many shows, so little time!

Stoltzy: great Irish like GD blessing! 70 box, or 69 might be good guess. Either would be awesome!
    Like Jim said, wouldn’t mind a Summer 85, especially that 6/30, or Hershey, or Toga!
    Of course that brings up the whole tape/source issue? Thought the Riverbend 85 was decent release, so maybe there’s hope? Know many don’t like those years, but many others would really dig a summer 85 release/Box, something!
    Remember a great homemade shirt in Hershey, said ‘I lost my shit in Hershey” which I kinda did LOL!
    Right when they hit “ashes, ashes all fall down” I basically had to slump down in the mud right in front of the soundboard and lay down for a bit, so my friends and Healy all had a good laugh at that!
    Perhaps culmative effect from several fungal days in a row, a whole sixer of elephant beer, and not much food? Nahhhh, must a been the weather! 😎

• stoltzfus
    discs keep on skippin', skippin', skippin' into the future

what a hassle.

May the GD always be ON, your shows always be hot, and your discs always be skipless.

• daverock

I haven't received my replacement discs yet, but its beginning to look as though Rhino are no longer fit for purpose. Maybe time to go elsewhere. I think if I'd messed up this often in my job I'd have been sacked.

• unkle sam

Just keep skipping, skipping, skipping, just keep skipping. Yes, my replacement discs also have skips in the same exact spot, you can see a raised dot, like a period made by a pencil, on the disc. Now, how can you not see this and yet, it was still sent out as a replacement. Rhino has no quality control, at least with this release. When will it end? The dangers of blind faith.

• wilfredtjones

Nice compact set II tape. It fit on a 60 minute tape for me. Check out this jam: Playing>UJB>Drumz>China Doll>Playing>GDTRFB>Lovelight. Can't remember if the double encore of Sat. NIte>Baby Blue fit on the tape or not.

https://archive.org/details/gd86-06-28.sbd.miller.21272.sbeok.shnf

Although Alpine '85 night 2 I like a bit better. For the fidelity of the tape I had, but I think overall may have been a better show.

https://archive.org/details/gd1985-06-22.123486.sbd.miller.flac16

• paydayoh
    Default Avatar

WOw Great .. Nice to share this.

• DeadVikes

Happy 40th Anniversary! I am sure it would have been great to see shows back in those days. My first, June 25,1986 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. It was Dylan, the Dead and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
    The sound was awful in the Dome for concerts. Two days later we were on our way to Alpine. Within two weeks, Jerry slipped into a coma. Back in those days, we didn't know if we would ever see the band again. You know the rest of the story. What a run after that!
    And I agree we need more releases. We are not getting enough new product, time to step it up.
    I would love to see that Fall 80 box. Did you make it to any of those shows?

• stoltzfus

Ugh.

Sorry marye...

Sometimes a guy just has to say it, though

• stoltzfus

2/14/86

Yes 86

Many high energy moments

Feel like a stranger

Check it out

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 9 months

I got my copy Pre Ordered!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 6 months

My first Dave's Picks order, but I can't resist anything with Franklin's Tower in it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years

Before 10:00am I think.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

I think I'm gonna like this one.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

OK, it's another mid-'70s show .... maybe we'll get a '69 box soonI'll be receiving it anyway, as I subscribe.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

In this guessing game it never hurts to be wrong!
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Only hope the band had shaken off any "rust". JGB's "Don't Let Go" from the Orpheum (4/21/76) has Jerry performing at his best, so I am hopeful.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Only hope the band had shaken off any "rust". JGB's "Don't Let Go" from the Orpheum (4/21/76) has Jerry performing at his best, so I am hopeful.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I subscribe, since I like them all. I was just checking in to see how long it would take for the complaints to begin. Pleased to see comment #1 started things off.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I like to play the "let's count the complaints" game too. Amazing. Those who think they have a monopoly on enlightenment are the furthest from it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I concur. This should be a solid release. Any Dave's = A Good Day! The subscription email alert should be out by the end of the month and of course I will subscribe. These are gifts in my mailbox which I look forward to.
user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

I had no issues ordering this for a friend who can never seem to do it correctly...I'm good with the show and the set too...late October mailing works perfect for my Birthday party...and with all the killer box sets being released in late October & early November I'm gassed...it's a good time to be an old fart...
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I love bicentennial Dead. Very solid year for DaP (IMO) and I can't wait to subscribe again next month.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

I was calling for 6-14-76. Not too familiar with this one. Looking forward to it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

its of course right in the warm & fuzzy wheel house for lemue….should get the announcement for #29 plus 2019 'scrip next week - signing out, REAL RV3 (not the imposter, who will do a right up pretending to love this release)
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Summer of '76! Dazed and Confused! Alright, alright, alright...
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

This made my day. Mucho thank you.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

Back to back Dave's picks with H>S>F after (I think) being absent for the entire series. Guessing this one is a lot more mellow (to say the least) than the one from 83. Very much looking forward to this one. I'm also very familiar with the Beacon run that comes before this, but not sure I've heard this one before (or if I did, it's been years)...should be fun!
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

I was worried about the beards as well, but there are some in the background that appear to have hair. All is well! Looking forward to this one!!! I give it 5 new Steely Dan Stars without even listening to it.... Rock on!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thought it might be a 76' show. The USA clue had me on 76', though capitol should have sealed the deal. I think wiki had it wrong ( shocker) saying silver formed In 71'. Everything I kept reading was they formed in early 76'' ; so Brent would not have met them yet. Rivers clue a bit of a mystery. Guess my heart wanted 69'. Keep in mind folks, patience is a virtue. A Boston 69' box could always be down the road. They would not release ( I don't think) a Dave's pick if they thought the show might make a future box release. Not familiar with this show, but Seist is unique and intriguing Thanks Dave and friends! . Have a grateful weekend! Sam T
user picture

Member for

5 years 7 months

Got mine, such a beautiful day in Tennessee
user picture

Member for

9 years

Woohoo! Always in for a nice H>S>F and a Scarlet to boot! :) TGIF
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

There's a bear right behind you!
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Dave gives the old Download Series a shoutout here and we did indeed get an official release of the very next night from this run with show #4 of that series back in 2005. And if you’ve got that show, then you’ve also already got one of these two “bonus tracks” because the 6/28/76 High Time was also a bonus track on that release. Lest anyone think I relay this info out of bitterness, nothing could be further from the truth — I love 1976 and a recycled bonus track doesn’t dampen my enthusiasm one bit. Bring it, Dave!
user picture

Member for

7 years

David Lemieux mauled by bear while filming the Dave's Picks 28 release video. Future of Dave's Picks unknown.. Get better Dave.. When are you going to have us over for some of your famous smoked salmon?
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

I love the Cd's in my PT cruiser Deadmobile cruising around town, people shout out
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

They Love Each OtherFriend of the Devil Let it Grow A few I am interested in, I didn't know the pick, but had a suspicion it would include They Love Each Other and Franklin's Tower. I was thinking 9.27.76 I was hoping for the other Cap show from this run, one thing I do know is the show from Download series is near flawless. Might have to fire that one up on today's bake route "Around and Around -> Goin Down the Road Feeling Bad" ~ 6.19.76
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

i'm so tired of getting '70s shows. it would be one thing if the grateful dead only had a small window of quality live performances, but we know that's not the case. it shouldn't be too much to ask for more diversity from this series. please give us shows from other decades. the '90s has yet to represented. why is that? ----
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

going going gone...30 Minutes from my email to seeing it sold out. I like this time of year, we get two DP announcements in one month. good stuff.I'm happy for '76.
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

sold out in less than 1 hour - hope they increase the numbers for next year so people won't get shut out...
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Love the riverside chat; less windy than the seaside ones, and more animals to distract our good buddy Dave. TBH, I was hoping for something a little different - something earlier with a nice Dark Star, or something featuring a big fat Shakedown (28 volumes and still no Shakedown! C'mon Dave, ya just gotta poke around!)That being said, June of 76 is the nice and gooey center of the 70s nug, and I'm excited to hear this one all cleaned up! Happy Friday, DeadLand! Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Received announcement email at 12:20Click link at 12:53 Sold out! Damn, either I need to be at my desk all day on announcement days, or maybe this is what finally pushes me over the edge on getting a subscription next year! Wonderful looking release, yet I’m soiling myself with regret...
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Well, that was fast. But I absolutely always love me some 76! Very happy for this one. And finally an officially released Help Slip Franklin's from 76 adds to my happiness. - "Seventy-Sixtus"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

I received the email at 18:11 UK time. Tried to order at 18:58 and it is sold out! Who calculated the production numbers? Are you just trying to create a limited number of high value collectibles or are you seriously trying to serve the fans?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

I received the email at 18:11 UK time. Tried to order at 18:58 and it is sold out! Who calculated the production numbers? Are you just trying to create a limited number of high value collectibles or are you seriously trying to serve the fans?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Sorry, I was that annoyed I managed to hit send twice :)
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Could have pulled something else from rehearsals or studio jams. Has plenty from 1976. There is an "Attics of My Life" from rehearsal that is really cool, oh well maybe next time Rhino
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Dig the cover. So bummed, I missed the sale by an hour, got stuck at work and forgot. I have the subscription so I'll get one, but was going to pick up another for a gift. Sold out at 10:58 when I tried. FYI there was an email sent over a week ago announcing the sale time.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I wouldn't worry if anyone missed this release; DaP 27 can be bought for $40 or less(check out the recent sold items), just wait a few weeks after release. Looks like Dead.net found the perfect balance.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

painful..
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html