• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • gep82363@yahoo.com

I just discovered the skip in let it grow , I hope it’s not too late to get a replacement disc, can you help?

• gep82363@yahoo.com

Help, I just discovered the let it grow skip on disc 3 and I emailed dr rhino I hope it’s not to late to get a replacement disc.

• Charlie3

I feel your pain. I was unable to get a copy of DaP 28 that didn't skip on the CD player I had at the time. That was a Sony that was a few years old. It worked flawlessly with all of my other CD's. I recently got a new CD player, a basic Onkyo 6 disc changer, and lo and behold the DaP 28 replacement CD's that skipped on my Sony played without issue on the Onkyo. I don't know what the difference is, or why my Sony only had a problem with DaP 28, but I thought that I would let you know what my experience was with this release. Other than whatever causes the release to skip on some players, it is a stellar show.

• marye
    send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. Also, are the discs skipping on multiple players, or just one, for purposes of troubleshooting this?
  • crussak
    Default Avatar

Hi,
    I have gotten the complete run around on getting a replacement disc for disc #3. I have been sent 6 different copies of it and they all stop or skip on Track #4 (Let It Grow). I was told they finally figured out there was a defect in manufacturing, but I kept getting the same old defective discs. In emailing the situation to Doc at Rhino I have not gotten any replies back from emails sent to him in May, July and August. Either he does not work there anymore or he doesn't care. Customer Service is truly atrocious.

• daverock

Mine arrived at the end of last week, and I am pleased and relived that they both-discs 1 and 3 play through perfectly.
    As a consequence of receiving these discs, I listened to the whole show again, for the first time since it initially arrived. And I am well impressed. It rolls along very smoothly indeed-beautiful ensemble playing. True, the high wire jamming from the years up to 1974 has mysteriously disappeared, but its a tuneful and pleasing set. Very nice piano playing.

• icecrmcnkd

I just replied to you on the DaP29 board.
    Thought you were referring to your original replacement.
    So now you have 3 defective copies. That sucks. They need to send you a new complete DaP28.

• Charlie3

Got my replacement disc 3 today, no replacement for disc 1. Oh yeah, and the disc 3 replacement skips again. This doesn't happen with any of the other several hundred CD's that I have, including my other dead releases. BOHICA. At this point it is more of a drag to continue dealing with the issue than to write off the possibility of having a skip free version of the release. I guess I appreciate the effort, but it accomplished nothing for my situation.

• icecrmcnkd

No Skips or other noticeable defects.
    Thanks Marye and Rhino for making things right.

• daverock

I sent a personal message to Marye at the end of last year to tell her that discs 1 and 3 were faulty in my Daves Picks 28. She said she would send my message on to someone called Dr Rhino. About two weeks ago I sent her another pm to see if there was any progress. A few days later I got an email from Dr Rhino, telling me that there was a fault in the pressing of the original discs. Not all were affected, but a substantial amount were, apparently. He said they were looking into it, and that I would be sent a replacement disc-but that he couldn't say when this would be.

So...it might be worth sending a PM to Marye, or this Dr Rhino, and maybe you will get replacement later in the year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Thats_Otis

It was a time in the early 80's that (at least where I live, fall 81?) the town went dry.. I mean there was nothing to be had.. for what seemed to be months. What's an energetic teenager to do, ….more homework? That's what this lull in activity here reminds me of.
See if he could come back holdin' 20 keys of Gold.

Yea.. strange, but I don't think it's just the new site (but that's certainly a big part of it). Rhino Quality Control and return issues, negativity and trolling, the elections and lack of optimism.. bad weather, who knows.

I don't think its permanent though…

A couple weeks ago I was struggling with a bunch of stuff including bad weather and bad luck.. I went into an afternoon with a couple hours of free time and came out (after the 4/24/72 TOO>Comes A Time and a solo winter river run and bike ride) with a whole different outlook on life. This was immediately followed by the 4/6/82 TOO>(a delicate) Morning Dew. World and personal problems = solved (at least for the moment).

I am getting ready to revisit the 80's/early 90's. I sort of started this on the anniversary of 10/8 and 10/9/89. A powerful moment in GD History.

I hear ya Otis.. I'm right there with ya..

Edit: If there is a silver lining.. the dry spell brought us domestic strains, sensimilla, hybrids, green (and good) Mexican and brown weed with seeds was gone, which dropped me off just about perfectly to my first show. One step back, two steps forward.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....I didn't realize how much I posted here until I couldn't find a certain thread. I usually then give up and play some Dead and remember the good ol' daze. But hey now! Emojis!! 🙄 ✌️ 😃

right there with you VGuy; I too am finding there is a void where I used to spend a fair amount of time here, pokin' around. Yesterday it took me like 5 times to be able to actually remain logged in when I got to this page - it kept saying I wasn't logged in when I'd go to make a comment...the back and forth frenzy was a bit too much.

Hopefully it is temporary as we all get more used to the space here. Ebbs and Flows....

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have the same problem. After logging in one has to get back to the comments page. Once you are back here, chances are you will not be logged in any more. It appears to be a caching problem unique to the new site. Once back on the comments page, refreshing the page generally results in being logged in, for me at least. Why this is so, I have no idea, but it is annoying in the extreme. The old (and trusted) site returned you to where you were after logging in. This new site is not that smart.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Haven't listened to DiP 1 , 12/19/73,in a while, figured maybe it was time to revisit it. Kind of got me thinking about the excitement I felt when I found out it was being released way back when. As best I can recall, I got a GD Almanac mailer while living in Syracuse and there was the ad for DiP 1. Never having built up much of a tape collection outside of a few early '80s audience recordings, I was super stoked and ordered it up without hesitation. I was just switching over to CD's at the time, so the timing of the release was fortuitous. To this day that Here Comes Sunshine is one of my favorite versions of that song.

Aah, the early '80s highs and lows in NY. I remember when I started burning in 10th grade in '81 it was all brown and seedy, with lots of stems. By '83 it was fat, green and sticky, and domestic. Those interdiction efforts at the borders were undoubtedly a strong driver of the increasingly innovative domestic cultivation that seemed to take off in the late '80s. Anyone else remember hearing about "Operation Green Merchant" around '89 or '90? That was when the feds traced shipments of horticultural grow supplies from companies advertising in High Times and similar publications in an attempt to locate and prosecute indoor growers of the forbidden herb. Quite a positive change over time on that issue.

As far as the changes on this site, I have adjusted to navigating to these threads through the community link and dead store products link. Community->Dead Store Products->DaP 28 ;) It seems to me that there has been a slight uptick in postings lately. Ebbs and flows indeed.

Yea.. that's my memory. I think it was summer or fall of 81. Prior to that.. all brown and seedy. Then there was nothing.. anywhere.. (except the stems and seeds you saved for just such a drought) for quite a long time, seemed like six months or something.. ah the 70s and early 80s.

Then the price jumped (significantly) but so did the quality, it was green and sticky with no seeds at all. I never looked back.

I was climbing a lot back then.. there are several climbs named Stems and Seeds around the country.. I guess Stoners and Deadheads have a sense of humor and like adventure. I wonder if the young'uns even get the reference?

Got mine yesterday and watched the bonus disc last night, planning on watching the movie tomorrow.
Here’s a brief description that I posted on the LST page earlier today.

Subject: Bonus Disc
I found the non-concert footage the most entertaining. You actually get a couple of minutes of a Pigpen interview. I don’t know if I have ever heard Pigpen speak at length, only have heard him sing. The Candyman rehearsals are better than the live footage. The live footage has mediocre sound quality, and there are 3 partial songs, not 6 (the Candyman rehearsals don’t count).
The added ‘89 songs reaffirm what we already know, that there is quality video from ‘89 in the vault.

I noticed some issues with playback. If you stop then restart it starts at the menu, not where you left off. Also, pushing the ‘main menu’ button on the remote causes the disc to freeze.
The solution I found is that when you start the disc just let it start up and play through the short intro to get to the menu. It’s not a bad wait since the soundtrack is Mind Left Body Jam.
Sounds like the MLBJ is from 6-28-74 but Jerry’s guitar sounds different than on the Dicks Picks. So maybe it’s a different MLBJ, or maybe - and fingers crossed here, a new recording was in the returned reels???? That would be awesome to get a Plangentized/Normanized new version of 6-28-74.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

would not let me log in to this thread, had to go thru the back door and re log in 6 times, said I was logged in, but went to comment, said I wasn't. Come on now, lets fix this. Far out Michigan, lets legalize it all, everywhere, but I don't think it will ever happen in certain states especially in the deep south and in those poor states that are in the middle of the country.
On a completely different note, I remember quite well the winter of 80, or was it 81? Long term memory going like the short term all ready went :). I was living high on the hog , then, one day, I had to re up to keep the loyal in head stash. I called my man, he told me "man, it went crazy, now what you paid for last week has just quadrupled in price, from 180.00 per to 750.00 per ", and that was just for round town brown. There was a long silence on the phone as I was totally shell shocked. I said "no fu*king way" and hung up. That was the end of a great time in life. But it was here to stay and only got worse. Did it really get better? From brown to green? Some of the best stuff I ever had was from Columbia and the far east (Vietnamese, Thai, Columbian Red bud, Santa Marta Gold, afghani black hash, black and red hash oil, Nepalese temple balls) you just can't get that kind of product anymore. Now it's all weird names like Gorilla glue, sour diesel, strawberry cough, sticky icky?
I was checking out Grace Slicks' site and she was quite fond of Quaaludes, which were also outlawed in 1980, I blame it all on Nancy, but the Dead put out some great shows that year, what about Gainesville?

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Yeh - seem to have to logout and login to post on individual threads.

DP28 -- anout the best Betty mix I have heard in a long while -- also love the clear tone Jerry using in 76 with the Travis Bean :). All in all great

Thankful for family, friends, health, happiness and The Swing!

Cheers all.. the countdown for the new year begins...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by MDJim

....looks like I didn't break my record. Oh well. I'm rested and have to go work in t-9 hours. If I was smart, I'd go to bed now. Unfortunately, I'm not very smart sometimes. Firing up RDR2 and some Fall '77 as background music. Works very well. Arthur Morgan is my other life.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I tried to post a comment six times today and got caught in the logged out/logged in ping ponging that defeated me each time. Tonight I went to this comment page and it said log in to make a comment so I logged in. I was immediately bounced back to the comment page with the post your comment box ready to go. Smooth as silk.

WTF?

Anyway all I wanted to say was Happy Thanksgiving.

Goodnight.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Indeed after logging in one is returned to the comments page. That finally works like on the old site. Well done someone.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by simonrob

Also seems that you can now move to other pages and stay logged in.

I had the misfortune of watching It's A Wonderful Life for the first time in 20 years or so tonight..

There is only one rational explanation that this movie exists.. made in 1946, it's clear to me that this movie is about Jimmy Stewart's early experimentation with LSD.

Edit: I suspect he might have taken The Brown Acid. It's the only rational explanation. If only Wavy Gravy were around to talk him down and feed him breakfast or something. Now Christmas has this bas acid tinge to it.. perhaps that explains The Grinch.

Over and out.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by MDJim

I sent you a PM but can't tell if it went to ya so check your mail and tell me if ya got it or not.
Thanks man. Good to hear from you.
:O)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by MDJim

You never know. Apparently Cary Grant benefitted from taking about 60 trips.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A well-documented acid head.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

I wish everyone out there a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you are enjoying your Dave's Picks 28. I myself have not received mine yet. I was informed that my disc shipped, and after waiting a few weeks, I contacted customer service by sending them an email (as there is no option to actually speak with someone that can help) to let them know I didn't receive it. I was given a case number 4482892 and the email said I would receive a phone call within 2 business days. After another week, I called the order-takers and was given an escalation case number 4519371 and told I would receive a phone call within a day. After another week went by I called again and this time, I think I got an honest person on the phone that told me the warehouse has just about collapsed with cases regarding missing and damaged merchandise and that I likely won't hear from anyone for another week or so. It has been over a month since I was told my disc shipped. Come on folks... what is happening? Is this anyway to run a business? I realize I am not waiting for life-saving medicine, it is just a music CD, but to be told "don't call us, we'll call you" and never get the call is incredibly frustrating. The order-takers seem to be powerless to help and I can't get through to anyone that can make a difference. Please get it together!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Send me a PM and let's see if we can straighten this out. Sorry for the trouble.
user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by marye

ok.. I'll bite. Most fun at a show ever? 6/20/83 Merriweather Post. The planets were properly aligned and the spaceship achieved liftoff.

One of my favorite GD memories, getting One From The Vault & Dicks Picks 1 and the realization that one by one, little by little.. they were going to start releasing soundboards from the Vault. Heaven.

This site isn't that hard to navigate. There's always turnover here.. but there are lots of folks that have seemingly walked off the edge of the earth.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by mhammond12

12/15/72. First time. Went with a friend who knew nothing about the Dead but I paid for his ticket and he drove. I triple dosed (without his knowledge) and he smoked and drank his ass off. Towards the end of the first set he passed out and collapsed on the floor right in front of the stage. I was gone mentally and was freaking. But lo and behold the crowd formed a protective circle around his body and reassured me everything was ok. He came to and we both put ourselves back together during set break. Second set was the greatest music I've ever heard live. Truckin>Dark Star>Morning Dew>Sugar Magnolia to end the show. We both stumbled out of that show in a completely different state of mind and we both knew we'd never be the same again. To this day he is a intense deadhead.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Holy Cow.. Great story.

I have to ask.. did he figure it out (the triple dose thing)? I am not sure I could have hidden that from anyone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by MDJim

He was more wasted than me. Never underestimate the power of large quantities of alcohol and pot on a 19 year old mind. Plus he knew nothing of psychedelics at the time. That was to change very soon.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I was 18 years old. I had never been to a rock and roll concert. I was really high. I did not know what a mirror ball was. When the mirror ball turned on during Sugar Magnolia it was like being abducted by aliens and shitting in your pants simultaneously. And that's a pretty cool feeling.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by MDJim

great story - stuff like that is what always kept me coming back to this board (the story, not the pants-shitting)!

Haven't been listening to full shows lately but have been diving into songs or extended jams that I love. The meat of 2/28/69, 11/17/72, etc. So much great stuff out there. Jim, I remember the liner notes from one from the vault. "This represents the beginning of the release of the vault tapes. More To Come."

More to come, indeed

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by 80sfan

Just a little preparation for what our first listens of good shows will be like as we enter our late 70's. By the time Dave's Picks 100 comes around, many of us will be putting on a fresh pair of depends before we put on our headphones, just in case we achieve liftoff.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by MDJim

I didn't actually poop in my pants. C'mon. It was a metaphor.
Actually just trying to humanize this new website. Trying to add some conversational fun to a website that now resembles a hallway in a mental hospital.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

.... c'mon. It's me! What do you expect? Peggy-O and A National Acrobat are my favorite songs of the week so far!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I guess its easier to clean up than the physical version.

I bet it can get pretty hot in Vegas in the summertime. We wouldn't want all three original members to have simultaneous strokes while performing, would we?

Let's hope for a Fall or Winter tour showcasing sin city.

Man, I miss Grateful Dead Ticket Sales (GDTS). The only hassle was filling out the index card and getting the letter out on the correct date. I see Live Nation is up to their old pre-sale tricks. The last two years I participated, logged in at exactly 10:00 EST and crap seats come up for big dollars.. then later that day/week/month low and behold.. much better seats become available at face value. I know they have a monopoly and we have no choice, but they flat out suck and I see fewer shows because of it.

Bring back GDTS guys.... it worked, they were great and are dearly missed.

Phish manages to set aside a handful of tickets for each tour to be distributed through their ticketing solution. I believe the issue is that i believe i have heard that John Mayer's manager is running the show. I may be incorrect on that, but yes i once did the verified fan presale, but no longer since there is better tickets when the general public tickets go on sale.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

...Gainesville, baby?

38 years ago today! If you haven't heard it, or if you have, today is a great day to crank this one up to 11! And, if you are doubtful about AUDs, this is one of the best I've ever heard (Oh, and because it's an AUD, you can still DL it... Thank you Archive. I'll slip you some cash tomorrow when I get paid.)

https://archive.org/details/gd1980-11-29.nak700.wagner.miller.90104.sbe…

Dave mentioned that Swing was one of the most frequently requested shows... but I've got to think with the rabble-rousers round here, Gainsville has got to be close behind!

Peace

(Edited to remove the excessive exclamation points I used in the original post. I'm just really a big fan of this show :)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

...riling up the inmates will draw the ire of Nurse Ratched.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

No seriously...what ABOUT Gainesville???

The time has come to open the well if even for a non board tape to please The Masses in a way no other can ('cause , well, the boards don't exist, right?). Patches show up in official releases, sometimes on the multiple and in key moments. Why not throw one of these out there and see what happens. It's worth admission for the Shakedown>Franklin's alone.

Thanks for this reminder today Charlie3.
Otherwise, I enjoy this latest round of banter, inclusive of the poop (even if metaphorical) and new/old tour discussions .
Feels more like home again.

Sixtus

We are just a bunch of acid rock crazed lunatics who, like caged monkeys, sometimes feel the need to sling proverbial poop at one another and then act seemingly normal.. as if nothing unusual just happened.

I am staging Gainesville up to play a little later. Muse of the day, thanks Otis who whoever it was that got us back on track. I've been meaning to get on an 80's tangent for some time. Enjoyed all the 85 hype a while back too. The Idaho 83 release was a worthy offering for that year for that matter.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I'm digging the increased banter, couldn't resist the One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest reference after reading mhammond12's post referencing similarity between these threads recently and the grim feel of the hallway in a mental hospital.

My dead listening lately has been the PNW box on a loop, I can't seem to move on. Every time I go to put on a disc it occurs to me that it sure would be cool to listen to something from that box again, round and round I go with no end in sight.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Charlie3

It should almost go without saying the parallels and influences between that classic novel and the GD..

All I can say is the GD and music in general is my own personal Prozac.

I bet I am not alone in this.

My father approached me about ten years ago and said... I really feel One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest was the greatest move ever made.. to which I carefully explained the cross references of the GD to Kesey's mad mind. I think it was the last thing he expected to hear from me. About the same time (perhaps coincidentally).. he decided, being very much against drugs and the drug culture (thanks to me and my bro) that pot laws were stupid. I take full credit..

and perhaps it is one of the greatest movies ever made, it certainly ranks. The book is a must read.

....and low and behold, a constant thread. Reminds me of the old daze. TBH, haven't really been listening to the Dead a lot lately. Been listening to a lot of 80's metal. Slayers been on the menu recently. Did spin disc one of DaP 21 Boston Garden '73 after I got home from work tonight however. But I get stuck in a rut when it comes to musical adventures as you know. Slayer is peaking currently. Nurse Ratched would approve....👍'cause she's an evil SOB. Die By The Sword.....

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html