• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rtcampbel86
    Default Avatar
    Too slow for me. I'll pass
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

why are you doing this to an old man?

is this a Prank?

my cool post from earlier today is MIA.

"I'm a lost sailor", not a *$^%&! robot!

I'll adapt. thank you GD for being cool.

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Definitely a strange new world. I don’t know how to send a PM anymore

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Uhhhhh....where Are We?

Thought I was on the DaP28 page but then feel like I got shot into a cannon and landed somewhere else. Time will tell. UPDATE: Time Told. I am exactly where I thought I was....but wasn't.

I certainly can appreciate an update and some change; we could all use an overhaul once and a while it seems.

Good Day.
Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Where am I?

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by mcgrupp216

because it is not too good on a laptop and keeps launching new pages with every click.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I managed to send you a PM but for some inexplicable reason it seems to have been added to a PM discussion we had around 10 years ago! I hope you feel inclined to look for it.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Well...I’m glad! It takes a little bit to get everything just exactly right, ya’ll be happy to know we’ve got everything just exactly right.
🕺🏼💃🏻🕺🏼

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Hello? this is Gollum.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

still not sure how to get here without posting a comment, when I go to the "product" page (dp28), has a tab for "comments", but only to post?

happy, happy, joy, joy. Just glad I got my subscription, unless the "buying" side is working better :-)

Still doesn't seem to like :-),, :-(

sidebar, I guess the archive was just having a "moment",,, seemed ok just now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This is difficult and confusing for me. I need to turn into a robot. I promise no automated spam submissions, honest. Trouble is I will have to lie to be able to post this. Can robots lie?

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

...Here's hoping the new and improved Dead.net will be able to sell me digital downloads in the near future.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

ok, this is very weird. did anyone else's avatar get changed to a photo they did not choose?

Hmmm. Ok?

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

...getting used to. In my best decrepit Ozzy voice calling "SHARON?", I am calling MARYE? I can't find my way around anymore! Where are we? Am I logged in? Can I log out? Time for more lemon kush!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Funky is right....it's like someone sucked all the air right out of the room. I can hear voices, the music's still playing, but where did everybody go? At first, I couldn't even log in, and thought for sure they had finally figured out that I am really a just a lonely bot, but here I am, with my Arrowhead Avatar correctly in place, and ready to rock!

I have no doubts that the old place needed a few updates, especially behind the scenes, for the fine folks who are running the machinery. My guess is that things were probably a lot less efficient than they should have been with the old format, and in the long run this will help tremendously. I agree with Jim that the comments sections are the backbone of the site (other than the music of course)....but this in itself was probably difficult to manage in the old format due to the size of those sections. I'm sure there will be some additional improvements, once they get the kinks ironed out.

Anyways, I hope everyone makes it back to the party (most everyone at least :-))....I told my wife yesterday that I missed my Grateful Dead friends.....her reply: "Oh I'm sorry honey, that sounds terrible for you"

she thinks I'm nuts..........Here's my last 5:

Grateful Dead Live at Greek Theatre - University of California on 1968-10-20 Listening Now - Miller SBD on the Archive
Grateful Dead Live at Sports Palace on 1981-10-19 - Miller SBD - 1st Set (will make it back to 2nd set today)
Ween - 12 Golden Country Greats - Vinyl
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - Vinyl
Dick's Pick's 34 11-05-77 Rochester, NY - Vinyl

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah, it's kinda like waking up in Kansas – we're not in Oz no mo. But we'll get back as soon as the next tornado leaves the station. In the meantime, bread crumbs may be helpful . . .

Funny you're listening to 10/20/68 C-J. I'm not far away in 1/20/68 Eureka. Short, but perfect on a foggy, damp Saturday morning. After the April '67 Phil 'n' Jerry Show on KMPX, with sufficiently cleansed palate, I'm heading back to PNW for the '74 shows. Rock on, y'all.

QUESTION: Does this new site HAVE to make you redo reCAPTCHA even when you preview a comment for which you just passed the reCaptcha exam?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Have a fine copy of 6/17/76. Can't say I am excited about it being DaP28, but I'm not upset about it either.
Bring on the 2019/DaP29 announcement! Give this new site something to sing about!
How about finding soundboards of 3/21/70 Early & Late? THAT would be an amazing DaP!!!!!!!!!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by Seth Hollander

I mentioned last week that I never bought Download Series 4 (the show from the night after this new Dave's release), so the second Dave's arrives at my door I'm going to buy the 6-18 show and treat them like it's a mini 76 box. Should make for a fun week of listening. June 76 is really fun and interesting stuff. Definitely a unique moment in time for the band.

Hope everyone is well!

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

After posting that last comment I was sent to page 6 of this message board.
Why wasn’t I sent to the most recent post of this page?

And another...
Those navigation numbers on the bottom of the page
First......1,2,3......Last
Put a copy of those on the top of the page too so that you don’t have to scroll to the bottom of the page just to move to another page.
Thanks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....sucks. Should have gone with a tie-dyed background instead of bright white. Missed opportunity. Clunky as hell. Hopefully they're still fine tuning this site to be just exactly perfect. Emoji anyone? 😎 And what's up with that fuzzy, cobra head avatar to my left? That's not me....😐

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This is so white, so bright, I'm gonna become snowblind. I'm gonna go and watch a welder at work just to get some relief.

Make it hard enough and people will stop. 1st the stupid robot thing now this. I just hope those who want Dave's 2019 will actually be able to see it

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by snafu

.... I'm Vguy72, not VGUY72. I'm not yelling!! And I just posted this and it took me to page 5 of something. C'mon dead.net IT. Time for some fine tuning. marye did warn us though....the search comments bar is..... interesting? I don't get it. Old dog. New tricks.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

I ordered this in that tiny sliver of time it was available...twice. At least i think I did. I did this accidentally because I didn't get a confirmation email. I thought the order didn't take. I still haven't gotten an email actually. But hey, the site is revamped. I do have a charge to my account from dead.net so it seems to have gone through. While we're revamping things, I have a suggestion: make the Dave's Picks 2019 a larger run. 30,000 or 40,000. I'm sure they'll sell and less will end up on ebay...

user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

In reply to by DaveStrang

I can't even see while I am typing in the subject line because there is a window covering 90 percent of it. I never comment either...they say CHANGE IS GOOD??? Well not in this case ...this blows. I don't know where I am half the time. Maybe we should rethink this. Hey if it ain't broke ...don't fix it??? Sorry for the sarcasm but I MISS MY OLE DEADNET.COM.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Well, at least the user icons are larger and easier to see. And it seems faster. The white background was probably due to so many accessing on their devices, with smaller screens. I would imagine they'll go to something less harsh after time. A work in progress. Doesn't seem too buggy.

....the Archive had an overhaul a couple of years ago. I hated it. Now, I accept it and work with it. It works. Guess this site will work as well in the long term. Emojis tho!! 🤣😂😃

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

1) Last night my password wouldn't work. to log in I had to request I new one (account info was remembered by the system).
To comment today I again had to request a new password after my new password wasn't recognized.

2) Wanted to post about this from IceCreamKid:
"After posting that last comment I was sent to page 6 of this message board.
Why wasn’t I sent to the most recent post of this page?
And another...
Those navigation numbers on the bottom of the page
First......1,2,3......Last
Put a copy of those on the top of the page too so that you don’t have to scroll to the bottom of the page just to move to another page."

That experience happened to me too (at first, thought my comment had not posted, then saw the page number) and his request is one I firmly second. If you have comments appearing newest first, scrolling to the bottom the page to change pages is annoying and there should be the same page list/links available above the comments as there is below.

Hope that my password problem goes away. Hope the vast fields of white do get filled in with something interesting but not distracting or obfuscatory.

The site did seem to need an overhaul. Hopefully, this overhaul will be beneficial. Thanks for trying, GDM crew.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

Wow, what a cluster. Hope it's easy to subscribe again in a few weeks. Maybe they'll send a clickable link via email.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Does the new site require fewer clicks to get where you want to be or to achieve what you want to achieve than the old site. So far the answer is a big fat NO. On the old version, if I was on this page and wanted to post a comment, I logged in and was taken back to this page again. Now, after logging in, I seem to have to go through five other pages before I can get back here where I can post a comment. Additionally loads of new tabs get opened in the process. I guess I will get used to all the extra click-work, but is this a step forwards in user friendliness and intuitiveness? Not to my way of thinking. Conclusion: FAIL.

PS: Still suffering from burnt retina syndrome due to the whiteness, the brightness of it all.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

lol I tried to train my robot to access this site and it was so hard for him he shot himself last nite. Now I have a dead robot, a crappy new dead site and a big mess to clean up ( robots also lose control of all body functions when they die) I guess they were just tired of reading our comments, so they buried them, just like I had to do with my robot this am. Who should we send the eye doctor bill to, this screen is so white, I can't see anything but this white screen for minutes after leaving the site. You will lose fans with this upgrade. But the selling of the product is way more important.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

The site keeps asking me to enter my email to get the latest news even though I've been on here for 11 years. When I type in my email and click "submit", nothing happens. There are some bugs in this new format for sure...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 3 months

...was spent by me trying to figure out how to login. Now I'm Wond'ring Aloud if I can pass the robot test. My next big challenge will be to place an order for the Dave's Picks 2019 subscription, and hoping that all the Heads who want one will be able to pre-order, too. Last year I believe the subs were rolled out around October 24th.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks for these reports. Keep 'em coming.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

as long as I can subscribe to Dave's Picks without issue, I can give myself some time to get accustomed to the "new dead.net".

if the background weren't so white (snowblind/BlackSabbath/myeyesareblindbutIcansee), we'd complain that we can't see the images/text.

btw: listening to 6/26/73 this weekend. yummy.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Happened to check the site on my phone and found that Special Edition Shops does not appear under Music, and I only happened on this page by scrolling almost to the bottom of the home page and found the last 4 comments posted, 2 of them were here, and I followed the link. The Constant pop-ups asking for my email are beyond annoying as they cover the screen in black and don't allow you to do anything until you find where the window is and then close it. Then when you do, a new one pops right up.

If the new Dave's subs go on-sale this week, I hope there are no major issues. Not too confident about that scenario, though...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Even the captcha seems convinced on this point most of the time. Hang in there, we'll get through this. Meanwhile, it would be very helpful if you would include details about the device and OS on which you are having these problems. Thanks much!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

until things are a bit less nonlinear, if your browser has a history pulldown, it is your friend... I am not saying this to be annoying, I'm saying it because it is helping me a lot!
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by marye

Once you find the page you want, bookmark it.
It’s too much effort to search every time, especially since the pages I’m looking for are at the bottom of the community page listed under products. And then you have to search more to find the product comment page.

That’s how it works for me on an iPad.

I like the white color and ‘normal’ font. I was having trouble reading the posts on the old site with the yellow background and small font. (On an iPad).

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html